• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bar none, hands down the best wrestling game ever was this:

wwf-wrestlemania-arcade.jpg

Everybody knows this, it's fact. The game was made by many of the same people behind Mortal Kombat and NBA Jam, using the very same live actor art style that Mortal Kombat and NBA Jam used. And like Mortal Kombat and NBA Jam, the game absolutely relished in the idea that it was a quarter munching ARCADE game, which in that era meant it was filled to the brim with secrets. Yet, unlike MK and NBA Jam, WWF Wrestlemania didn't include endless arcade revisions that changed things up as they went along. Were secrets like Reptile in MK came in later revisions of MK1, and things like Sub-Zero being in NBA Jam actually got removed in later revisions, WWF didn't have that luxury.

I played THE SHIT out of the IBM DOS PC port of the game back in the day. Like seriously, I spent thousands of hours on the game, and insane amount of time considering I had absolutely no interest in wrestling at the time. I used to frequent websites and read and print faqs about the game, I was so into it. I knew the combo system inside and out. I even went out of my way to eventually pick up other ports of the game, because I liked seeing what was different about them. Being so into the game, I was aware of one rumor that got passed back and forth among fans for years: The Undertaker had a fatality in the game.

As far as I understand it, the PC Version is remarkably similar to the final Arcade build. Like, same assets and everything. I tried for months to pull off the undertaker's fatality. Only later, in the days of Youtube, would I learn that the Undertaker's fatality is exclusive to the Playstation version of the game, and indeed is a legit secret in the game:

To do it, you obviously need to be playing as the undertaker, and be on the final pin of a match, and have the opponent ready to be pinned, and then do a secret move combination. The sequel, WWF In your House, took this further giving everybody a fatality called Super Pins.

But this brings me back to this particular fatality -- why is it only in the PSX version of the game? Why isn't it in the arcade, or direct arcade ports? Why is it that only the undertaker has a fatality? Were the other characters going to eventually get fatalities in updates to the game? This is something I've seriously wondered about for ages.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But this brings me back to this particular fatality -- why is it only in the PSX version of the game? Why isn't it in the arcade, or direct arcade ports? Why is it that only the undertaker has a fatality? Were the other characters going to eventually get fatalities in updates to the game? This is something I've seriously wondered about for ages.
I think I might have actually seen it in the arcade version. Not 100% tho. It looks really familiar whatever the case.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I might have actually seen it in the arcade version. Not 100% tho.

I remember asking a member of the team on twitter once and he didn't even know about the fatality, so I'm pretty sure it was a console-only addition. But that raises questions, because they had to have filmed the undertaker doing that shit.

The same guy is a super unreliable source, though. He told me straight faced that no version of NBA jam TE ever had Mortal Kombat characters in it, that those were just rumors, and well...

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I remember asking a member of the team on twitter once and he didn't even know about the fatality, so I'm pretty sure it was a console-only addition. But that raises questions, because they had to have filmed the undertaker doing that shit.

The same guy is a super unreliable source, though. He told me straight faced that no version of NBA jam TE ever had Mortal Kombat characters in it, that those were just rumors, and well...

I know I was nowhere near the PSX version. But it's weirdly familiar to me. Maybe it's just deja vu.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know I was nowhere near the PSX version. But it's weirdly familiar to me. Maybe it's just deja vu.

Well I distinctly remember back in those days a bunch of Usenet and compuserve forum topics where people were dedicated to finding if it was real or not. People would report seeing it, then other people would try it and it wouldn't work. It was a highly contested rumor for years.

Several FAQs on gamefaqs today state that it's only in the PSX version.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well I distinctly remember back in those days a bunch of Usenet and compuserve forum topics where people were dedicated to finding if it was real or not. People would report seeing it, then other people would try it and it wouldn't work.

Several FAQs on gamefaqs today state that it's only in the PSX version.
Meh, ok. Probably remembering someone else bringing this up in the past then.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Meh, ok. Probably remembering someone else bringing this up in the past then.

No, I legitimately believe those FAQs might be wrong! This is worth exploring, it's been a mystery for years. Like I said, I remember people way back in the day claiming they'd seen it on all sorts of systems as well, but they'd post ways they saw it and they'd never worked. It was interesting because multiple methods for seeing it eventually emerged. So perhaps it IS in the arcade version, just a different unknown way. Which makes me wonder: is it in other versions as well?

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No, I legitimately believe those FAQs might be wrong! This is worth exploring, it's been a mystery for years. Like I said, I remember people way back in the day claiming they'd seen it on all sorts of systems as well, but they'd post ways they saw it and they'd never worked. It was interesting because multiple methods for seeing it eventually emerged. So perhaps it IS in the arcade version, just a different unknown way. Which makes me wonder: is it in other versions as well?
I would try to MAME it if I wasn't so lazy, and also knew where to grab the ROM, and hope to fuck it's got good enough compatibility.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's a different input? Doesn't make sense but maybe?

thats what I'm saying, perhaps there is a different method and the fatality is still relatively undiscovered in the other versions of the game for some reason. Who knows, maybe someone here has proof or something.

problem is people rarely ever talk about this game, so it's just this thing that I've wondered for ages that nobody can be definitive about. It's been bugging me for decades lol. Other big gaming mysteries eventually got solved over the years, but not this one.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They kind of added fatalities to its' shittier sequel In Your House

Edit: You mentioned it, but GODDAMN I had to bring up how dumb these were

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
thats what I'm saying, perhaps there is a different method and the fatality is still relatively undiscovered in the other versions of the game for some reason. Who knows, maybe someone here has proof or something.

problem is people rarely ever talk about this game, so it's just this thing that I've wondered for ages that nobody can be definitive about. It's been bugging me for decades lol. Other big gaming mysteries eventually got solved over the years, but not this one.
Thanks for reminding me of this game BTW. There was a mini 'arcade' like across the street of my
first
High School and had a regular rotation going. This was one of them and it was pretty wild.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
I actually watched a great video about this a few days ago! I kinda remember him mention fatalities at some point in the video but can't remember what was said. The video is well worth a watch!

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
My small but beloved collection of Genesis and 32X games does not include WWF Wrestlemania. But I see on The Cutting Room Floor that the Genesis version of this game has a code that "doesn't seem" to do anything: https://tcrf.net/WWF_WrestleMania:_The_Arcade_Game_(Genesis)

TCRF said:
Enter Right, A, Down, B, Left, Up, Right while paused and "Here we go!" will be heard - But the code doesn't seem to do anything (noticeable) beyond this.

I wonder if that has anything to do with executing the fatality.

None of the TCRF pages on the Genesis, 32X and SNES versions of this game mention anything about unused code or assets related to the fatality, but perhaps no one's looked closely enough to find them yet.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
No, because WWF back then was still a super family friendly product

They did have secret finishers and such (I remember doing like a sky high piledriver from like 90 feet up in the air with Razor Ramon once) but the Super Pins are basically their version

I should play this again too

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
No, because WWF back then was still a super family friendly product

They did have secret finishers and such (I remember doing like a sky high piledriver from like 90 feet up in the air with Razor Ramon once) but the Super Pins are basically their version

I should play this again too

But then why is there a "fatality" in the PS1 version, which was released a month before the cartridge console versions?

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
All I remember about that game, really, is Vince yelling "Pin him!" a bunch at the end of a match

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I completely forgot about this game but I played the fuck out of it on SNES. It was so good.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Count me in with the group that thought he saw the Undertaker fatality in the arcade. I might be mistaken, that was a long time ago, but I thought I remember seeing it. I also remember people looking for other fatalities but never finding them. I was not a Playstation guy and I was too old to have many friends who still gamed at that point so I doubt I saw it in that version.

I liked Wrestlemania Arcade a lot at the time but I had no idea that "In Your House" was a sequel to that game until now. I always assumed it was just another shitty WWF wrestling game that wasn't developed by AKI for the N64.

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
So the Sega Saturn version came out about half a year after all the other home ports, and was supposedly a port of the PS1 version. Does it have the Undertaker fatality, too?

Saikyo

Oct 25, 2017
Well you guys keep trying to do the code on the arcade version but its not better see if in the graphics there is a coffin sprite like in the ps1 port? Same with the other versions...

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So... I'm going off an admittedly fallible memory here but I remember being able to do this in the arcade and not in the PSX version. This video seems to support my recollection of how this worked:

From the description:

UPDATE: I have been getting questions like how do you do this on the PSX version of this game? well you can't it can only be performed on the genesis version and the arcade.... and im using a arcade emulator for this video.

Now I'm not saying any of this is correct. My last memory of performing this in an arcade was at a Six Flags arcade in like 1998. So I might have flipped around how this worked in the interim 21 years.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I love this game, in versus is very fun, I kinda want a sequel (don't mention In Your House)