• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

It was...

• A great sequel to TNO

Votes: 413 39.3%
  • Good but I far preferred TNO

Votes: 395 37.5%
  • A total dissapointment

Votes: 244 23.2%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
-A step back in terms of gameplay for me
-Hub was awful
-Courthouse made me almost quit

TNO was the first game I ever platinum'd and I have a special place for that game but the sequel was a major disappointment for me.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting poll results.
Voted for "a great sequel" but feel like there should be an option between the first two.
WTC was a good (not great) sequel but I didn't really prefer TNO over it.

Last edited:

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I loved the story and how they moved on the setting, but the gameplay didn't do it for me. There wasn't any clear indication where you're getting hit from so a shootout turned into mad whirling and trying to find enemies.

That said, still better than most other games. New Order/Old Blood/New Colossus are top tier for FPS settings, story, characters, and great game names.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
Wish there was a fourth option between great sequel, and good but far preferred TNO. I preferred TNO, but not by a mile, and I'd call TNC good but not great personally.

ArcLyte

Nov 1, 2017
I loved it, and thought it had one of the craziest and best endings I've ever seen in an FPS.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
That game was fantastic if you played on the easiest difficulty.

Cheers_I%27ll_Drink_To_That_Bro_Banner.jpg

Overall I thought it was a great sequel.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't hate it but I thought it was a pretty big disappointment. I hated the health mechanic of the game, the feedback from shooting felt awful, and the difficulty spikes were often frustrating. It went full on with the crazy, story-wise which was at times amusing and other times grating.

The Old Blood is my favorite of all the recent games

BloodRayne

Jul 3, 2020
It's good, but I think both The New Order and The Old Blood are much better.

The final boss fight in TNC was the most anticlimatic thing ever. One of the Zerstörer died on its own apparently, I'm not sure what happened. And then I was like "wait, that's it?" yeah, the game ended after that. It felt kinda meaningless. I wanted to gun down Frau Engel myself instead of the "glory kill"/cutscene thing they went for.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, a bit weaker in the gameplay department, but storywise was SOOO good. They just aren't afraid be be bold, lol.

Very definition of a "just play it on easy" game so the gameplay doesn't get in the way of you just experiencing what happens (which is amazing).

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
It was alright, storywise it was great though but both frustrating level design and the gameplay wise feeling like it was done by a different team was a real bummer, the game was also brutally unbalanced damage wise.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
They tried to do new things instead of it being super linear and I appreciate that aspect but that does give it a different feel. That said, I love them both (even Old Blood & Youngbloods) and I am anxious for the next project.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I like it, a lot actually, but there's a point in the story where I felt the game just jumped the shark. I prefer TNO. Still gonna wait for the third game, as I saidl I still liked it a lot

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
wtf the courthouse fight was amazing, a challenge i was incensed to overcome because i wanted to believe BJ could break free. it made sense it wasn't going to be easy, and it's a rush to be able to beat it

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was a pretty significant step back in terms of gameplay. Damage was poorly balanced, no room for different styles of play, lacked variety in its levels, the level design was often at odds with how you're supposed to approach combat (like being encouraged to run and gun but half of the encounters are in tight corridors), zero real boss fights, etc. Very disappointing unless you were only in it for the story.

Oct 25, 2017
It was terrible to play. Crashed a bunch for me. Had weird issues. A crushing disappointment especially given how nuts the story was.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I loved it so much. So many memorable scenes and the camp was pitch perfect. Really great writing. I agree thst the gunplay was a step back but not as much as some other people think. It didn't detract from the experience for me.

I really hope we get a sequel but I am assuming at this point that Indy has taken over that studio, unfortunately.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It did not help that for almost half the game you were in a weakened state with less overall health. The game is already brutally difficult and to add that on top of being weakened for story purposes made the game a slog even on the easiest difficulty.

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
First one was okay, but I don't hold it as highly as some do. I've never been a fan of the gameplay, feels slightly cumbersome. It looks great in gifs, but it doesn't really play as smooth as you'd think looking at those.

Old Blood really let me down, 2 hours long and only the same zombies and village over and over.
Wolf 2 I was pretty unhappy playing it but saw it through to see the story. Boss fights were annoying, level design was crap and got lost a lot, over the top comedy. TNO was more black comedy/ bit serious, Wolf 2 was more wacky, like the whole tone was tongue in cheek and I wasn't a fan.

I never bothered with the others because I was done with its style of gameplay by then. I probably wouldn't play another Wolf unless it was another reboot at this point. I'm done with this New Order timeline.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it more than the first. Great visuals and I liked the gameplay but only at modest difficulty settings. Anything beyond that was kind of ridiculous.

JetEagle

Dec 21, 2020
Australia
My vote would actually be between "good" and "total disappointment".

I found TNC nowhere as good as TNO. The difficulty spikes were absurd, and made the game far less fun to play. I found myself constantly changing the games difficulty down and then back up again. For all the marketing about fighting your way through Nazi occupied America, it was mostly indistinct, often underground, corridors that looked the same. The levels were also rather awkward to navigate. And personally, I thought the narration from BJ during most of the game when he is address someone was pretty terrible.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
I'm not too terrible in single player shooters, but after hearing the fame of this game's difficulty and encounter balance, I played in the second easiest difficulty, and there were some points where it was just kind of absurd how the game sometimes threw in tons enemies that would instantly melt through your armor, with not a lot of good cover. At some points my solution was to just outright run past them and not fucking do the encounter at all, or when I did engage with it, it felt like nothing was worth using outside of the shotgun/double-shotgun since it was the most reliable weapon outside of the special explosive.

That wasn't always the case, but when it did happen it would really stand out from the rest.

It was especially notable in the final boss of the game with those two giant robots. It just felt frustrating to deal with them so I ended up running past THE FINAL BOSS and skipping it.

Oct 26, 2017
Very disappointing for me. First half had a solid narrative but compromised gameplay due to the health/shield ratio. Second half was a mess. Entire game also did not cater to stealth at all compared to TNO, and forced you down a guns blazing approach. Strangely they doubled down on all their bad design decisions for Youngbloods.

Had some fun moments though, and gotta love being able to stomp on Hitler's face.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I really enjoyed the story but something about the gameplay felt super off. I remember feeling normal felt too hard but then dropping it down to easy was boring, so it just didn't hit the right balance for me. A bit disappointing. I loved how wild the story got though.

AlphaCookie

Nov 6, 2017
Washington
New Order was a great game, and it was a fair challenge on the hardest difficulties. Good feedback when both dealing and receiving damage.

Old Blood was just straight up more New Order quality gameplay.

New Colossus had some amazing set pieces, and I think the story beats are more memorable because of it. The gameplay tried to become more like Doom where you run and gun and use the entire arena, but the health mechanics and the fact you aren't Doomguy means it doesn't work. They also did something to the feedback so you often wouldn't know you were getting hit or taking damage, so it was even harder to do anything but crouch your way through everything.

I don't even know if I want a Wolf 3 at this point. Youngblood essentially off-screened what would've been the entire premise, told us it didn't matter anyway, and then didn't even have the game to back it up.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I never finished it despite loving the first one which says a lot. Something just felt off about the gameplay that I couldn't put a finger on compared to the first.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I thought it was fine overall, but lacked a lot of what I liked from the first game.

One area in particular that felt downgraded was the stealth. In the first game I loved having the different play styles of being stealthy and finding secret routes, but in the sequel it felt like way less of a valid option.

Enemy placements and movement patterns didn't seem as well designed as the first game. Most of the time I could only do one or maybe two stealth kills and then someone would inevitably spot me from across a huge room.

I still enjoyed the story, even if it felt a bit less serious than the first time. It had great moments like with BJ's dad, but apart from that it was definitely more ridiculous in every way. Mainly just felt like on eof those "bigger is better" sequels where it had to one-up everything from the first game.

discotheque

Dec 23, 2019
TNC is one of the most bizarrely paced games I've ever played, all the interesting story stuff happens in the middle and then the game just plods to an anticlimactic wet fart of an ending. All the characters except BJ act like they're on coke and the cutscenes are obsessed with Dutch angles. They traded the melancholic feeling of TNO for a weird, manic energy that was very off putting. TNO had distinct, bespoke environments that were interesting to explore, the TNC levels felt much more modular and repetitive. Also the guns felt surprisingly weak and unsatisfying to use which was surprising for a game made in the Doom engine.

I didn't hate it but after playing it and Youngblood my enthusiasm for the series has dropped significantly

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
It was a great sequel, but they did almost nothing to enhance the somewhat clunky gameplay, which makes some sections a chore.

But man, I wish more games had the balls this one does. It lets you know what it's about immediately.

Oct 25, 2017
Awful. What if every enemy and every encounter was Doom II Chaingunners and you could never tell where you're getting shot from and for how much damage.

Story is good/completely insane though.

RadioHeadAche

Oct 26, 2017
I liked it as a sequel, but the gameplay wasn't great. Also being unable to skip cutscenes most of the time is a real setback to a game that isn't exactly a cakewalk even on normal.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
I enjoyed both and I think the story and gunplay ine TNC was really good but it felt a bit thinly stretched compared to TNO.

I also felt it didn't have the emotional depth of TNO. Both are silly nazi blasting games but there were some very good scenes in TNO filled wth a lot of pathos (like the "I made the wrong choice?" scene) with from very interesting characters.

This wasn't as present in Colossus. The stuff with BJs Dad and Mum were very powerful but no one else really had a stand out moment. Which I think each character got in TNO.

There were some very fun parts (like the audition) but it felt like it was just a bit too much. I know that sounds ridiculous given the nature of the game but that's the best way I can describe it.

I'm still looking forward to 3.