• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jeffapp

Oct 29, 2017
Rewatching breaking bad and thinking was Walt and Jesse victims of no one caring about them or were they always bad and when they met each it just created two monsters?

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
he started a victim but he turned bad suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper soon and in no time at all the victimhood left and only bad was left

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
At every step of his life, Walt let his own arrogance, pride, and sense of self-importance ruin the lives of himself and the people around him.

Last edited:

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
I mean, dude turned down a job with fantastic benefits that would've fully covered his treatment because he's a egomaniacal shithead and that was in the fourth episode.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Walt is the epitome of egocentrism and narcisism. He started the series with a great job, friends who wanted to help him and a relatively easy path forward. He made decisions for selfish reasons every time - from his family, to Jesse, to Mike, to everyone else. From episode 1 to the season finale. He was a bored middle-aged dude who felt powerless throughout his life and decided to wreck some lives just to make him feel better.

But....that's the point of the show. It's not a thing that the show was about a narcissist. It's a good way to demonstrate how narcissists try to justify their selfish actions as being ritious despite constantly being faced with the truth that they're not.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
At every step of his life, Walt let his own aragance, pride, and send of self-importance ruin the lives of himself and the people around him.
Yes, it's easy to justify anything based on the pain we endure. Good people don't inflict their own pain on the innocent, no matter how much they've suffered.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
To break bad you first need to not be bad.
2IO.gif

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
no one caring about them

Both of them had plenty of care given to them.

He was a victim of the US health care system.

Well no, because that particular issue was settled in the 4th episode. Walt turned it down.

OP, this was all spelled out in the penultimate episode when Walt confesses to Skylar that he always liked what he had become. He wanted to be a powerful asshole. The greatest moment in his life wasn't his wedding day, the birth of his son, etc... It was when he stood in the desert with that fucking hat on and told a hardened criminal to "say (his) name." He thought he was so fucking cool and powerful and important then.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He broke up with his first girlfriend and left the company he founded out of arrogant spite.

He was a victim of his own pride and stupidity.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean he's a cancer victim but that's about it.

He's an awful person but god damn did I love watching his story unfold.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Walt destroyed everything on his own. At any point that he could have stopped, found some peace with a way out, he ignored it. His success only enabled his own arrogance, and drove him to take another excessive step.

Last edited:

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
The point of the Gretchen and Elliot stuff from Season 1 is the show letting you know Walt was always the way that he was.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
He was always a prick, him getting power just turned him into a bigger prick than usual.

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
these kind of questions are so reductive

you can be a victim and a shit person who makes shit choices

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
He was always bad. He had off-ramps but chose to keep going. Good people don't keep going.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I wouldn't say he was always bad. His diagnosis gave him an excuse to do whatever he wanted.
He was an actual genius chemist who preferred to live a life of destitute obscurity than accept being anything less than a Titan of industry.

And he didn't care about the strain that was put on his family as a result. In fact, he resented them for it.

Walt never broke bad.

Oct 25, 2017
At every step of his life, Walt let his own arrogance, pride, and sense of self-importance ruin the lives of himself and the people around him.

This. The flashbacks are there to provide this exact context. Anyone who thinks Walt is a "victim" isn't paying much attention, or worse, decides to self-identify with the baddy.

Jessy is a tiny bit more complicated though, since he does build up sincere relationships and regrets. He's not a victim either, but arguably served his time for it too.
Oh wait, no, I just remembered John de Lancie's role. Nope, Jesse deserves a needle too. Damn show, you almost got me there.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
This. The flashbacks are there to provide this exact context. Anyone who thinks Walt is a "victim" isn't paying much attention, or worse, decides to self-identify with the baddy.

Jessy is a tiny bit more complicated though, since he does build up sincere relationships and regrets. He's not a victim either, but arguably served his time for it too.
Oh wait, no, I just remembered John de Lancie's role. Nope, Jesse deserves a needle too. Damn show, you almost got me there.
Jesse was also a 23 year old drug addict with severe emotional problems, the complete lack of a support network, and "friends" that constantly took advantage of and manipulated him.

He did a lot of terrible things, but he's infinitely more sympathetic than Walt.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
He was never a victim. In the pilot he turns down money for his treatment, cooks meth and then kills a guy all because of his pride.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Walt's a piece of shit and always has been. He just had an excuse and the means to let that side of him out.

Vlad

Oct 25, 2017
Walt's meeting with Gretchen in "Peekaboo" really solidified the fact that Walt was always kind of a piece of shit. I've seen people watch the show and still think that he was screwed out of his position at Grey Matter, but Gretchen seems legitimately shocked at his interpretation of events, and even when he's telling Jesse about the situation way later in "Buyout", he does the whole "I won't bore you with the details" thing that someone would use when the situation doesn't really reflect well on them. He always had to be the smartest person in the room, which meant that he probably burned a lot of bridges in any industry where he could put his skills to use.

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
Walt started to become bad as soon as he cut the deal with Tuco. He was good at the start.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Cancer was the real villain. If he never got sick, he would still be a teacher and be a living a mundane suburban life.

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
How

He even says in the finale that he did it just because he liked it and liked the feeling of it.
Walt initially was cooking as a silent partner, wanting no bloodshed and no hand in the dealing. He wanted to protect his family financially and compartmentalize everything for protection. When he cut the deal with Tuco: that's when he first used the name Heisenberg. He made the show of strength with the fulminated mercury explosion and strong armed Tuco in negotiation for double his asking price. It was at that point that it became about his ego and about himself more than his family. You see him have that adrenaline rush for the first time from that victory and that's the turning point.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Walt initially was cooking as a silent partner, wanting no bloodshed and no hand in the dealing. He wanted to protect his family financially and compartmentalize everything for protection. When he cut the deal with Tuco: that's when he first used the name Heisenberg. He made the show of strength with the fulminated mercury explosion and strong armed Tuco in negotiation for double his asking price. It was at that point that it became about his ego and about himself more than his family. You see him have that adrenaline rush for the first time from that victory and that's the turning point.
He murdered people in the very first episode...

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i think gilligan/writers meant for him to be a tragic hero and somewhere along the way said fuck it, he was palpatine all along

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Not really considering he actually had the means to cover all of his costs without taking a penny out of his own accounts.
He would've gotten a better job too.

It's been a while since I've watched the show, but I remember that relationship having them both as enablers for their drug use. It was a shitty situation all around.

While later on, Jesse went to sobriety meetings specifically to sell drugs to people struggling to stay clean.
He murdered people in the very first episode...
And then with his bravado earned from that victory, has forceful sex with his wife.

Oct 25, 2017
He was a narcissist before the events of the show, and a full blown psychopath by the end. I wouldn't call him a victim. He was given opportunities that he turned down because it wounded his fragile ego.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
I think the show is trying to show us that we're all a little like Walt, and we're all just a few missteps away from "breaking bad".

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Walt destroyed everything on his own. At any point that he could have stopped, found some peace with a way out, he ignored it. His success only enabled his own arrogance, and drove him to take another excessive step.

When he got out of some serious shit without getting caught and immediately said "ok, back to cooking" I stopped watching.