• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kagari

潜在能力解放
Oct 24, 2017
Kingsglaive was a bandaid at best. It doesn't excuse cutting out the entire escape from Insomnia section just to make it into a movie. Imagine if FF7 Remake did that with the Midgar section, lol.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
I don't remember anymore, did people back then believe this was actual realtime gameplay? It's quite obvious it's prerendered with some fake UI slapped on it, lol.

I actually can't remember to be honest. It's in the same vein as WKC where it's UI slapped in front of a cutscene. I will say, personally I didn't believe the battle system played out like that but at the same time, that slow down explosion with all those damage numbers popping up did make hesitate back then. It was the next gen FF at the time so I was kind of expecting something crazy and that LOOKED bonkers enough to be a next generation battle system lol

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, this was:

We didn't even get that game.

For a second I thought my memory of XV was really bad because I don't remember any of this gameplay, story, or cutscenes in the game I played lol. Except for a bit of that leviathan battle, albeit it was totally different from what I remember.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Man I loved that trailer, used to watch it a lot when I was a teen.

But this WKC was the actual best, the song gave me goosbumps:

Nah, this was:

We didn't even get that game.

giphy.gif

I weep every night, and I even attached a poster of XV over my bed the other day lol

Kagari

潜在能力解放
Oct 24, 2017
For a second I thought my memory of XV was really bad because I don't remember any of this gameplay, story, or cutscenes in the game I played lol. Except for a bit of that leviathan battle, albeit it was totally different from what I remember.
Yeah, I was rewatching this with my husband the other day and he said the same thing, lol!

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
First: even back then i couldn't belive that they called it that way. if you try to train an ai to generate the most generic rpg name, i think it would not be able to make a more bland and generic name than that.

And with time passing it got even comical (white knight)

Also, did not know that it was by level 5.

The trailer: at first i thoguth: what are you talking about, long loading times and boring looking graphics/artstyle... but then the battle koordination/animation, bullshit. Thats cutscene animation, not battle animation. All in all the trailer still does not look great?

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are you talking about? There's a world of difference. One shows actual gameplay while the other one is a 100% fake
There's not much of a difference and game marketing is manipulative, arguably moreso than any other kind of marketing.

Also that WKC "target render" is labeled as a trailer.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There's not much of a difference and game marketing is manipulative, arguably moreso than any other kind of marketing.

Also that WKC "target render" is labeled as a trailer.
Again, this is just absurd. There is a world of difference if there's actually a game that exists and running in real time or if someone made a target render where every system is fake. You're bascially saying there's no difference between a CG trailer and a gameplay trailer.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
I'll always find it funny that they remastered the first WKC and included it with WKC2. I will say, it did improve on the game a hell of a lot, mostly by making the battle system faster. To be honest, I still enjoyed the game.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Not surprised at all that Kagari mentioned XV sigh... thread will now be entirely focused on that and continue the cycle.

Oh well. I'll just come in and say that I really need to try White Knight Chronicles one day.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprised at all that Kagari mentioned XV sigh... thread will now be entirely focused on that and continue the cycle.

Oh well. I'll just come in and say that I really need to try White Knight Chronicles one day.

If you ever do want to play it, get WKC 2 as it includes a remastered version of 1 and is honestly much better.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, this is just absurd. There is a world of difference if there's actually a game that exists and running in real time or if someone made a target render where every system is fake. You're bascially saying there's no difference between a CG trailer and a gameplay trailer.
gDlimxI.gif

That's not what I'm saying btw.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
I remember thinking "wow this is a set piece in ND or santa monica's level"

but then, none of it is real
To be honest some of the stuff there is beyond even the best stuff from ND/Santa Monica. If they actually had pulled it off it would have been the greatest set piece ever

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WKC is the biggest JRPG lie to me.

FFXV was nothing like that first gameplay reveal, but its overall look somewhat resembled the final game. It wasn't a generation ahead, it should've been possible on at least Pro or 1X.

WKC however, the fidelity, lighting, animations, combat, fucking everything wouldn't feel out of place on PS4 despite it being an early PS3 announcement. The actual game didn't even look shit imo (some areas looked good), but it was absolutely nothing like the reveal. And I don't even hate WKC. It was addicting online and Georama was sort of dumb fun.

Kagari

潜在能力解放
Oct 24, 2017

Am I wrong though? That trailer absolutely isn't the game we ended up with.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
It's funny how in basically every reaction I watched of the Athia reveal everyone was like: "Yeah, we won't be seeing that game in our lifetime, lol"
They did build FFXV on luminous from 2014-2016, with the initial full team development starting in late 2011/early 2012. Now that they know they are using luminous, plus the experience from before.... Those 130-150 devs might be able to do a new concept with the same engine expanded sooner.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if you were expecting an JRPG outta that... I can imagine the disappointment. :v

On topic, we have Ushiro too:

It promised to be released

they still promising it's gonna be released. probably not that version though

Right from the later Sept 2006 showing it was obvious this was faked. Even worse is that the realistic cries were sadly ditched for the same 8-bit ones used in the DS games. What The Pokemon Company have against more animal-like cries I'll never know. :(

the sad part is, if Creatures still made battle sims, we could get this by now. people called me out for it in my thread, but I still believe the GCN/Wii games have better battle presentation than Sword and Shield by a country mile

Oct 26, 2017
they still promising it's gonna be released. probably not that version though

the sad part is, if Creatures still made battle sims, we could get this by now. people called me out for it in my thread, but I still believe the GCN/Wii games have better battle presentation than Sword and Shield by a country mile
Genius Sonority you mean? :P

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
I actually can't remember to be honest. It's in the same vein as WKC where it's UI slapped in front of a cutscene. I will say, personally I didn't believe the battle system played out like that but at the same time, that slow down explosion with all those damage numbers popping up did make hesitate back then. It was the next gen FF at the time so I was kind of expecting something crazy and that LOOKED bonkers enough to be a next generation battle system lol
Yeah, in retrospect it's very obviously all fake but in 2006 when we had no idea what Square might be capable of on the PS3 anything seemed possible lol

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
I think I'll be salty over this game for the rest of my life. I hated it with all my gut. Payed 60 dollars for it and finished it out of spite alone for the money spent.

I'm with you. Waited 10 years for this and ended up being one of the most disappointing games in the series next to FFXIII.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Lol, there's a chance that that trailer for WKC got me to pre-order the game.

Played it for 5 mins, maybe less. Or maybe I didn't even open the game at all and returned it.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, in my defense it's a beautiful piece :(

image.png

I bought it at the temporary SE cafe a couple of days before the release of the game!

Yeah, that is a beautiful artwork. :) I was fascinated by it since they first revealed it alongside the Dawn trailer. None of the content of that trailer is in the final game either. :(

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
That's game development for you. It was revealed in 2006, and released in 2008. A lot can happen during game development, and especially over 2 years, and I don't hold it against them for showing an impressive vertical slice of a game, before all the real work of building the game out is done, then, as development continues, the game is expanded beyond the vertical slice, things change, get scaled back, optimized, etc. It happens all of the time.

It's not even a new phenomena in the world of gaming, yet gamers always manage to disappoint themselves when a final product fails to match the perfectly curated reveal trailers or gameplay demos.

As for the game itself, I really enjoyed WKC. It scratched a JRPG itch that I had, and I'm a big fan of Level 5, so I was going to be there day 1, no matter how much it changed from the reveal. Then we got Ni No Kuni, and all was right with the world...

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Still closer to what playing the final game looks like than that FF15 trailer.

Hmmm, I actually hard disagree on that one hey. XIII looks nothing like what we got outside of some of the UI elements. It was clearly cg or a pre-rendered cutscene though *. The XV trailer actually showed what the game looked like and what we got was pretty much the same OUTSIDE of that pre-rendered leviathan section (Square do love this shit don't they lol). The part in that trailer where Noctis is fighting in the citadel with a Behemoth and Iron Giant is what the final game looked like, hell even Gladio stepping in was reserved. Unfortunately the flashier parts of the trailer is what everyone remembers.

EDIT : *Talking about the battle system

Last edited: