• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pandaman

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This scene and the season at large ruined Mike as a character, they cut him up because they needed someone to push back on Walt even if it didn't make any sense. Mike, who supposedly very close to Jessie at this point is telling Walt he 'ruined everything' by not letting Jessie get killed.

Oct 27, 2017
I really dislike this speech, because this is one time Mike is dead end wrong. If Walt had "shut up, known his place", he'd be dead because Gus intended to kill him ever since the Jesse incident.

But as far as "no going back", it depends on what you mean. If you mean morally, walt killing mike isn't even a particularly bad action. Mike was a thug and hitman, of all the suffering and pain Walt caused, taking out of someone like mike because of spite and security reasons doesn't even hit the top 10 and I think anyone who argues it does is just letting their parasocial attachment to the characters bias them from a rational position.

Butif you meant Walt being fully committed to a life of crime, that's points been long past, baby.
I would argue that's because Mike isn't referring to the state of their relationship in Season 4, but pre-Abiquiu in Season 3. Even at this stage, Walter is flirting with the idea of killing Gus which was largely driven by worry over what happened at the end of their contract.

While Gus at this stage already had reason to be annoyed with the replacement of Gale with Jesse (partially an insurance policy on the part of Walter, partially a method to silence Jesse), there isn't yet an open hostility on the part of Gus but Walter has absolutely explored the possibility of killing him both to reaffirm the security at the end of the contract and to a lesser extent due to greed highlighted in Kaefkaesque (which, ironically, helps reaffirm to Walter how dangerous Gus is by seeing the operation's scale and emphasising his danger).

At the same time, I do agree that the argument is flimsy. There was good reason for Walter to be skeptical of how much of a danger Gus represented towards him and a justified reason to think that Walter would not long-term be allowed to live. The speech from Mike is likely shoe-horned in as a way to try and re-emphasise to the audience members who haven't yet comprehend that Walter, ultimately, is not a good person and is doing this out of his own selfishness rather than a 'need' to do it.

I agree that there would have been more reasonable things for Mike to point out and while ultimately Mike is correct that their predicament ultimately boils down to Walter's actions, there probably were better things that could have been written into the scene.

EDIT:
This scene and the season at large ruined Mike as a character, they cut him up because they needed someone to push back on Walt even if it didn't make any sense. Mike, who supposedly very close to Jessie at this point is telling Walt he 'ruined everything' by not letting Jessie get killed.
Similarly, while I do agree that they needed somebody to call out Walter and it's probably why it was written in, I think it stretches back further than Half Measure. Mike had a very justifiable reason to butt heads with Walter in the season which very much was in both of their characters, but I do agree the 'climactic' scene could have been better written on Mike's behalf as there were many better things which could have been raised to highlight how their situation traces back to Walter.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ep-209-46m22s-walt-takes-out-his-frustration-on-the-paper-towel-dispenser.png

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say murdering someone in your basement and dissolving the body in acid is probably pretty hard to walk back from

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I'm slightly shocked the most obvious answer hasn't been mentioned yet (unless I've missed it).

The most clear moment there was no going back for Walter was when he declined the money from Grey Matter in season 1 episode 5.

Even if, somehow, you can sympathise or write off the initial decision to cook meth, and you can look past his initial three murders, under the guise that he needs the money to support himself and his family, that's the moment he consciously chooses to continue in that lifestyle and admits it's for his own selfish reasons to continue to murder people, endanger his family, and sell meth and it's literally written into the show explicitly to highlight that he doesn't 'need' to do these things because he has to do them but because he wants to do them.

That's the clear moment there's no longer any justifiable 'excuse' for what he does and makes it crystal clear that he does what he does because he enjoys it.
I actually agree with this more than my original answer. Good call.

Oct 28, 2017
Making Jesse kill Gale is also a moment that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Yes, it was a life-or-death situation at that point, but Walt should have known he was screwed the moment he killed those dealers to save Jesse. He could have turned himself in to the authorities, or accepted that Gus having him killed was the inevitable fallout of his actions.

He did neither, but instead manipulated Jesse into becoming a murderer, and killing Gale of all people.

Of course Gale isn't innocent, he got into the meth business voluntarily and his libertarian bla bla justification is bullshit. But he's still nowhere close to Walt's level as a criminal, more like a naive nerd who's in way over his head.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
Ironically the title itself is a spoiler despite containing a spoiler warning. For someone who has never seen the show the title is basically telling them that Walter, the main character will do something that turns him into a villain.

With that said, the moment was the time he started. Everything else snowballed from there.

EDIT:

I forgot to finish my post

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2020
Turning down the pity pay off from his old business partner. It was there it became clear he wanted more than to just help his family.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ironically the title itself is a spoiler despite containing a spoiler warning. For someone who has never seen the show the title is basically telling them that Walter, the main character will do something that turns him into a villain.

With that said, the moment was the time he started going.

The show's title is literally Breaking Bad. It's pretty up front about what the premise is.

Oct 27, 2017

With that said, the moment was the time he started going.
The literal elevator pitch of the show was 'Mr Chips becomes Scarface', and the title of the show reaffirms this*. Walter becoming more openly villainous isn't a spoiler, it's the show's premise.

*although I'd argue the show transformed, as Walter's character became more developed and the show evolved from the initial premise, more into an exploration of how somebody who seems good can actually always have been 'rotten' and an event can trigger them embracing that, but that's not as good of a sales pitch.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's the paper towel holder. the cancer was what he had convinced himself the reason was, once he was in remission he no longer had the excuse and it forced him to show himself his true colors.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
The "no turning back" moment was when Walt let Jane die.

Yeah, it's this. There are arguably earlier moments but this is the absolute point of no return.

The show is called "Breaking Bad."

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Not sure I ever necessarily agreed with Mike. From what I remember, Walt's relationship with Gus broke down when Walt saved Jesse by running over those drug dealers with his car.

The "no turning back" moment was when Walt let Jane die.
This, Gus was going to kill Walt and Jesse and have Gale replace them.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No going back was getting offered treatment from Elliot and he refused. That happened in episode 4? LMAO Walter is a villain and that is obvious from the start. It doesn't take him killing another murderer for there to be "no going back"

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
When he turned down help from his ex and her husband from Grey Matter. Dude said fuck a good job,free treatment and money, I'm going to cook meth for kicks.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder in what kind of headspace are people at when they think killing someone like Mike is crossing the line but poisoning a kid isn't?

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
The no turning back moment was when he refused help from Gretchen for his medical care and a lucrative job that would have helped his family after he died in order to satiate his pride. Up until then, as bad as becoming a cook and a dealer was, you could argue that he had no other choice but refusing help cemented that he'd rather create and sell something that caused death and misery rather than dent his precious ego.

Annihilo

Sep 14, 2019
If walt didnt let jane die jesse would have died for sure

but yeah walt did it for selfish reasons, he liked jesse and wanted his respect

the airplane stuff afterwards was a laughably comical consequence though

anyway id say poisoning a kid or having men straight up murdered, hard to say. I dont recall the entire series offhand

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
It was when he turned down the help from his old friends who offered him a job and paying for his treatment. If I remember right he already had his life threatened and dropped 2 bodies before that episode. Walt got a taste of what the world he was going into was about and he still refused to take an out. Anything after that was just him continuing down the path he already chose.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Season FIVE??? No, as soon as he let Jesse's girlfriend die in season 2 he was irredeemable and Im kind of shocked it would take anyone five seasons to figure that out, you must be compassionate to the extreme, lol

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to watch the alternate timeline series where they trust eachother enough to have hard conversations without all the posturing and proxies and theater. Imagine them just hanging out over beers or whatever. I'd watch the heck outta that.

Last edited:

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
I suppose it's Jane but I fel the moment he fully became Heisenberg was when he ran over the two gangsters near the end of S3.

balb

Oct 30, 2017
Good choices in the thread but I'll present the claim that the show itself never considers Walt as irredeemable (which is how I interpret "no going back") because he dies, smiling with a feel-good song playing to end the series.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I really dislike this speech, because this is one time Mike is dead end wrong. If Walt had "shut up, known his place", he'd be dead because Gus intended to kill him ever since the Jesse incident.

But as far as "no going back", it depends on what you mean. If you mean morally, walt killing mike isn't even a particularly bad action. Mike was a thug and hitman, of all the suffering and pain Walt caused, taking out of someone like mike because of spite and security reasons doesn't even hit the top 10 and I think anyone who argues it does is just letting their parasocial attachment to the characters bias them from a rational position.

Butif you meant Walt being fully committed to a life of crime, that's points been long past, baby.

Yep. Its basically revisionist history, Walt was shutting up and knowing his place. It was concern for Jesse that almost got him killed.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
There were a lot of moments really. Everyone's said them all pretty much. But yeah, he had all the chances in the world to save Jessie's girl but decided to watch while she choked to death because he was jealous that she was trying to save him. That was early enough in the show too.