• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
Like a game that people said should shake up the formula. That changed the battle system. Made it open world or linear. Just a change that other fans wanted but you didn't?

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer Zelda games that let you gradually unlock the world with new items, rather than BOTW going true open world and giving you 4 abilities after the start. It went too far in my opinion, and a world that favoured size over quality, Hyrule Castle was the only atmospheric and interesting dungeon.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Breath of the Wild, but I ended up liking it anyways.

Pokemon Legends: Arceus looks like it could be this as well, which is disappointing.

A lot of FF7 Remake's actual design decisions don't necessarily seem like things fans would have asked for (the ending, the linear design), which is part of why I'm surprised at its reception. I'd say FF15 falls into this for me personally, but that game being an open world game with real time combat was the least of its problems.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I fully agree with this. While I enjoyed ME2 I was genuinely surprised to see how many people considered it superior to the first game.
ME2 is a better, more self-assured game than ME1. While I would have preferred a sequel that expanded the RPG elements from ME1, Bioware simply wasn't that kind of company anymore. ME2 played to Bioware's strengths.

edit: But I'm one of the crazies that saw even Knights of the Old Republic as a step down from Baldur's Gate 2/Throne of Bhaal.

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
Warframe jumping on the open world bandwagon.

Previously a game entirely focused on infiltrating a ship or base, tearing through enemies in procedurally generated levels, and constantly making progress on a dozen different things. Suddenly, we have an open world area, a bubble economy completely unconnected to the rest of the game, static enemy spawns, and a place where the best movement in this game of fantastic acrobatics and parkour is to bypass the fantastic acrobatics and parkour by grabbing a jetpack and going in a straight line for 2 minutes with no enemies to threaten you to get to your destination. 2 more open world areas later, same problems remain.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
ME2 is a better, more self-assured game than ME1. While I would have preferred a sequel that expanded the RPG elements from ME1, Bioware simply wasn't that kind of company anymore. ME2 played to Bioware's strengths.

It's fine to feel that way. I disagree. ME2's devotion to simply removing every element that a small-but-rabid portion of the player base disliked, rather than attempting to improve upon what could have been done better in the first game, speaks to the exact opposite of being self-assured.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Modern Sonic going straight back to boost & shoehorned classic Sonic segments rather than evolving what Lost World introduced was definitely a mistake IMO, and I presume motivated by the backlash (which should have been directed to the level design, not the movement). I mean, Forces was pretty bad regardless, but still.

Also Twilight Princess but to a much lesser extent since the final product is still good. I just think it was a bit too early to even attempt a more realistic Zelda, it's remarkable it turned out as visually interesting as it did, but it's still the ugliest Zelda game IMO.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
Is this going to be "things legitimately hurt by fan demand" or "things that changed for any reason, but I didn't like it so its the fans' fault"?

Like, RE3 Remake was in the works since well before RE2 came out--it's not like RE2 was a hit and they put something together in a year and a half. The game was the one they wanted to make, and it came out at the time they allotted for it (slipped between the more important RE2R and Village) regardless of fan demand for it.

And wasn't the switch to action for ME2 largely driven by the fact that Bioware felt (rightly so) that combat in ME1 was a bit of a hilariously unbalanced dumpster fire, so they went harder for action since that would be easier to do than fix the RPG mechanics?

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
Did fans demand that? It seemed like most people didn't know what a fourth God of War game was going to be like until it was revealed.

Like, I could see fans of the series wanting Kratos to find a new pantheon to punch in general, and Norse in particular, but him as a sad dad man doesn't strike me as something anyone wanted, even if the resulting game did well.

Oct 25, 2017
People seemed to really want as many Pixar stuff as possible in Kingdom Hearts III, but I personally never cared for it. I still think the game is incredible, but one of the reasons why I think II is overall better is the world selection being more interesting, to me. Combat was better than I expected it to be, however, and the level design was also the best in the series, in terms of exploration, so it still ended up as one of my favorite games.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Modern Sonic going straight back to boost & shoehorned classic Sonic segments rather than evolving what Lost World introduced was definitely a mistake IMO, and I presume motivated by the backlash (which should have been directed to the level design, not the movement). I mean, Forces was pretty bad regardless, but still.

Oh this is a good answer. Though it also seems like the fans these days are coming around on the idea of Adventure 3 which is what I want the most.

I'd rank my preferences as
Adventure 3 > Expand upon Lost World's style with an actually good game > Start over from scratch and try something new > Another fucking boost game

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
There were certainly people complaining about Kratos' personality already around God of War 3. And here we are, with Kratos now being probably the only actual Sony Sad Dad.

Were they fans? Like, not in a "ur not a reel fan" sense, but... you see thinkpieces about how "________ is an unsympathetic character" all the time. Like, I can see say, a reviewer giving it a 9.5, mentioning Kratos isn't unlikable, and never picking up the controller to play GOW3 (or any GOW) again, because his day job's complete and he's got some other reviews to crank out. Like... "what is a fan" (a miserable little pile of secrets) is a hazy thing, but "a lot of people" complaining might nto actually be the God of War fandom.

Similarly, Radical replaced Alex Mercer with a new character, pointing out that Alex was an unsympathetic asshole--which a lot of reviewers and journalists acknowledged in reviews or discussions of characters in 2009. Very few, if anyone who was actually excited at the prospect of a [Prototype 2] were happy about the protagonist shift--"people" demanded it, "fans" didn't (the fan response was ugly as fuck in quarters, but they didn't demand it).

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
with ff7r most fans wanted a 1 to 1 remake but with compilations stuff added to it basically ever crisis

I do feel that a significant portion of the audience rallying for the mythical Final Fantasy 7 Remake did so under the belief that they'd get the same game with more graphics and a shiny new Action RPG combat system.

Nobody wanted Compilation though.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
When I was a kid, I didn't really want Mario to do a 2D game again. I mean, I get WHY people wanted it, I wasn't necessarily against it, but I grew up with Super Mario 64 as my frame of reference for what I wanted out of a game, and I always felt like there wasn't much that Mario could do in a 2D space that he didn't already accomplish on the NES/SNES. I didn't get how it could be exciting for them to try that style again, and it wasn't what I wanted to see in Nintendo's big games at the time. Younger me wanted them to put their resources into making exciting 3D games for Mario, so when NSMB was announced I wasn't really interested, it looked boring and I wasn't into the hype train for it.

Nowadays I don't actually care, I like 2D platformers (and we get both styles of game anyway so it really doesn't matter) but with how the New Super Mario Bros. series turned out, Nintendo kind of proved me right.

Oct 31, 2017
Is this going to be "things legitimately hurt by fan demand" or "things that changed for any reason, but I didn't like it so its the fans' fault"?

Like, RE3 Remake was in the works since well before RE2 came out--it's not like RE2 was a hit and they put something together in a year and a half. The game was the one they wanted to make, and it came out at the time they allotted for it (slipped between the more important RE2R and Village) regardless of fan demand for it.

And wasn't the switch to action for ME2 largely driven by the fact that Bioware felt (rightly so) that combat in ME1 was a bit of a hilariously unbalanced dumpster fire, so they went harder for action since that would be easier to do than fix the RPG mechanics?
Sorry I don't believe this. It was either rushed or had a lower budget in some way.

Oct 27, 2017
Were they fans? Like, not in a "ur not a reel fan" sense, but... you see thinkpieces about how "________ is an unsympathetic character" all the time. Like, I can see say, a reviewer giving it a 9.5, mentioning Kratos isn't unlikable, and never picking up the controller again, because his day job's complete and he's got some other reviews to crank out. Like... "what is a fan" (a miserable little pile of secrets) is a hazy thing, but "a lot of people" complaining might nto actually be the God of War fandom.

Similarly, Radical replaced Alex Mercer with a new character, pointing out that Alex was an unsympathetic asshole--which a lot of reviewers and journalists acknowledged in reviews or discussions of characters in 2009. Very few, if anyone who was actually excited at the prospect of a [Prototype 2] were happy about the protagonist shift--"people" demanded it, "fans" didn't.

They were people who'd played and liked the games IIRC, but who'd grown tired of Kratos just being an angry, violent bastard. But that was kind of the charm of Kratos, by playing as him you got to be the violent, angry asshole you can't be in real life when you really just wanna punch your boss in the face or yeet your co-worker out of a sixth floor window. Kratos became the embodiment of the Sony Sad Dad meme, he's turned into a middle-aged man suffering a midlife crisis and spending his latest game learning how to be a dad.

Oh, and the loot/RPG-lite nonsense in the latest God of War was also some utterly pointless shit. But I don't think anyone ever actually asked for that anyway.

Arkham city's open world. I think Arkham Asylum's metroidvania approach was superior.

You and me both.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
MGS 5. It was decent, I guess, and there was plenty of stuff to fool around with, but the open world elements really, really werent what I was looking for from a metal gear game.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
Sorry I don't believe this. It was either rushed or had a lower budget in some way.

Pretty much all we've heard from Dusk was the game went pretty smoothly and ended up how they wanted it (and it was codeveloped alongside RE2R). So... they wanted to give us what they gave us. And yeah, I'm sure the budget was lower, but that has nothing to do with fan demands.

They were people who'd played and liked the games IIRC, but who'd grown tired of Kratos just being an angry, violent bastard.

Gotcha. Never played a God of War, so I never really interacted with the fandom to any extent.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MGS4

It was the worst case scenario and it retroactively ruined many things about the earlier games as well.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Insomniac felt that the key to keeping Ratchet and Clank a visually competitive franchise was to drop the framerate to 30fps to enable higher quality in game visuals, and they used fan feedback and review score trends to justify their decision.

On one hand, it's hard not to see that sticking to 30fpa really did enable them to make R&C on PS4 one of the PS4's best looking games.

On the other hand, I wanted to enjoy Into the Nexus, but that framerate stuck out like a sore thumb, to such an extent that I skipped R&C on PS4 outright because it would be 30fps too.

I'm very happy they're giving the option for 60fps again. I'm back to being hyped for Ratchet and Clank and it's a beautiful thing

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess Paper Mario counts as this, since the impetus for the shift in Sticker Star was in a fan feedback survey on Club Nintendo where less than one percent of the survey takers said they cared about the story and characters.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
From Software becoming a Souls factory instead of the wide variety of games they used to make.

JusDoIt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Assassin's Creed. By far. I love action adventure, in and out of the animus classic AC. Have no taste for generic historical RPG with mythological elements AC.

Current RPG AC is way more popular tho. So I've lost this cultural battle.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I agree with FF7 Remake. Didn't like the new direction.

Evolve, kinda different but they made major changes that redesigned the flow of the game to make it F2P and I hated it.

Rogue Squadron 3 and Star Fox Armada kinda had the same ballache design where they went 'hey likes have on foot sections too!' and they sucked. No idea if fans asked for any of that but still...damn.

Metal Gear Solid V having little story and cutscenes feels due to feedback from MGS4. MGS4 having edgelord ninja Raiden feels like a result of feedback from MGS2. MGS3 being a more straightforward action schlock feels like feedback from MGS2's confusing and pretty psychedelic story. Kojimas pretty bad for this, even though people adore MGS3 I feel it's a lot easier to digest than MGS2 and more flashy and dumb.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of these sound more like following industry trends rather than listening to your own fans.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
Making the Mirrors Edge sequel an open world game.

Good pick. I seem to remember this was a very common refrain before Catalyst got made, that Mirror's Edge would make a great open-world game. It's almost funny to me how much the opinion shifted after the sequel released. Personally, I didn't mind either way, though I find the first game more memorable.

Making DS3 a nostalgia fest.

Another good pick, and one of the main reasons why I like Dark Souls II over this one.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Im really worried about Legends Arceus, seems like a lot of time GF has selective hearing regarding the most generally agreed upon fan feedback so I gotta feeling it'll be 2 steps forward 5 steps back, plus they just don't have a lot of time between most games games these days so a lot of their output lately has felt half assed. Had sword shield gotten an extra year or had its 2 dlc be main game then it would've been a much better overall release. Same for SM/USUM.