• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it had fully clicked after Genichiro but I was at least on the way at that point. I can't pinpoint an exact time, I just know that I was there by the time I finished it. My second playthrough went incredibly smoothly compared to the first, more than any From game before it.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
Not really for me. Genichiro was very close, but I somehow beat him without learning lightning reversal, so I was very confused for the dragon fight later (which meant that fight had a horrible first impression with me and I still dislike it). The first Owl fight also got close because he hunts you down if you back off, so that taught me to just go hard constantly in a way that even Genichiro didn't.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
After spending 5-6 hours trying to kill Ashina 7 spears miniboss, once I finally killed him, I immediately killed the Ministry Assassin, Lady B and the Armored Knight in the temple on a single life. It basically unlocked every single path of the game for me.

Also made me feel there is nothing this game can throw at me that I will not kill eventually.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
Definitely genichiro, once I got past that fight most encounters were fairly easy. Bosses still were difficult for sure, but regular encounters were mostly solved after that first genichiro fight.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
10/10 game don't get me wrong. But a slightly bigger parry window would have made a (fun) difference.

Agreed. I think a ever-so-slightly larger deflection window would not only have made things a little more fun but block spamming less common. Especially with special enemies/bosses that you don't know the attack patterns for where it can feel practically necessary in some cases.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. I think a ever-so-slightly larger deflection window would not only have made things a little more fun but block spamming less common. Especially with special enemies/bosses that you don't know the attack patterns for where it can feel practically necessary in some cases.
How much bigger could it have been though? It's arguably one of the widest parry windows I've ever seen in an action game of this type, and you can spam it while still blocking. I think if it was any more forgiving it would've trivialized the whole game.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Lady Butterfly. She was the first real skill check imo.

But I probably needed 20-30 tries for each 1v1 bossfight anyways. Well atleast for any fight on that roof, Butterfly and the last boss.

It's really weird 'cause I beat her in two tries. First time I almost had her anyway but flubbed it near the end, second time she went down.

I was having enough trouble with Genichiro that I just needed a break, to go somewhere else, and actually Lady Butterfly felt cathartic in a way, which made going back to Genichiro and wiping the floor with him quite easy.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Lady butterfly taught me how to approach the game.

Genichiro gave me the satisfaction of knowing how to play the game. It felt so good that I felt I got what I needed out of the game.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
How much bigger could it have been though? It's arguably one of the widest parry windows I've ever seen in an action game of this type, and you can spam it while still blocking. I think if it was any more forgiving it would've trivialized the whole game.

I mean you're clearly a good/expert gamer. Clearly the appeal of this could have been widened somewhat by having a slightly bigger parry window, as seen by the comments in this very thread. If there is a Sekiro 2, I don't see there being any growth to the fanbase in a sequel (which is a huge downer).

We saw this with Nioh 2, which is clearly superior to the first but the brutality, one-two-shot kill mechanics, and reptition in the first game, made the second game land with much less impact than the first.

Jedi Fallen Order does this very well. That does not feel like Ninja DDR/Guitar/DJ Hero (though it's a far less awesome game overall than Sekiro), yet it does the parry mechanics thing very accessible and overall more fun.

The longtime problem with using rhythm in fast paced games is the sheer number of limiting factors that make the game seem like cheating/artificial difficulty padding rather than it being input lag, player physical limitation, animation quirks (see Genshiro, see Owl 2), camera fights, etc.

Sleepwalker

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, every boss victory nudged me a bit closer to the "aha" moment, but I'd say that Guardian Ape was the fight where it all came together. Just getting in that zone and parrying the massive sweeping attacks and properly reacting to its every action was such an exhilarating experience. After that there were a lot of bumps along the road, but I was already attuned to the experience so it was far less frustrating than before.

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Definitely the Genichiro fight for me as well. He was a wall, but at some point everything just "clicked" when I started to feel the rhythm of the fight. Other than the Demon of Hatred, the rest of the game wasn't too bad.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Genichiro was the moment I finally stopped fighting like a coward and played it the way it's meant to be played.

I had beaten Lady Butterfly earlier but I inadvertently cheesed her to death so I got no real skill improvement out of that fight.

Jun 2, 2019
I love the Soulsborne series, but I don't get Sekiro. I tried it and got bored quickly. It forces me to play in a way that I dislike.

Shin Kojima

Oct 27, 2017
I felt it only truly clicked when I could play comfortably without Kuro's Charm, so maybe after two playthroughs.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Not really. Respect the game immensely but the DDR DJ hero style rhythm parry kind of ran its course. Was done by the 60 hour point.

Then Genshiro fight was annoying rather than fun.

The ape fights though were so much fun.

10/10 game don't get me wrong. But a slightly bigger parry window would have made a (fun) difference.

To me the parry window is actually very high and forgiving.

Zultima

Mar 4, 2020
Yes, literally at the same point as you OP. That boss is hands down one of my favorite moments in gaming, and absolutely the game clicked after that....damn I just platinumed it a month ago and want to go back now, thanks lol

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
1. Fighting the first one-arm swordsman
2. Fighting the Giant Ape

When I figured these two things out I more or unless understood the game's rules.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Genchiro is I think deliberately designed to be the fight that makes you learn how to play the game, and is honestly the highlight of that game it was all downhill from there.

I see some people saying Lady Butterfly, but she was surprisingly easy to cheese without learning how to parry at all, so I definitely didn't learn to play properly on her.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
Genichiro for sure.

But I really started to "see the code" on NG+.

Also, in regards to the post two above mine.

The bosses after Genichiro are most definitely not downhill.

The Ape and Sword Saint are two of the best fights in the game. Heck, I'd argue the Genichiro fight before Sword Saint is more fun than the first Geni fight.

kingsamj

Oct 25, 2017
I think I had to beat the game before I really felt like anything clicked. I'm not even sure how I beat the game the first time, to be honest. I think the point where it "clicked" for me was.. the second I beat Sword Saint Isshin, lol. Almost every boss took dozens of attempts on my first playthrough, but on my second and subsequent playthroughs I beat everyone on my first try unless I get careless make some really dumb mistake.

tmdorsey

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia
The hardest boss for me other than Isshin was Guardian Ape. It took me forever to beat him and then being the glutton for punishment I am decided I had to take on the fight with the two apes. Demon of Hatred was pretty bad too till I decided to treat him like a Bloodborne boss. I'm sad I didn't experience the second Owl fight though.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Once I realised that I can parry EVERY attack an enemy makes if it's not unblockable. I was so used to kicks being used as guardbreakers in games that I just automatically assumed that a kick needs to be dodged. This made fighting the ninjas an absolute nightmare, until I watched a video of someone styling on a ninja and they parried the kick... That was the moment where one of the enemies that I thought was super bullshit became just another enemy, and I felt like an idiot for not experimenting with the game and just letting my assumptions from other games dictate how I play, which is a recipe for failure in From games.

Another one was when I bought the airborne deathblow technique and used it on the Shichimen warriors and the straw hats in the Senpou Temple. That's the moment when I realised "yeah, I'm good at this game now". Everyone was hyping Isshin up as this impregnable barrier and I beat him on my first try, because at this point I felt like I completely understood how the game works. I learned master the game's mechanics instead of trying to force a specific playstyle and it paid off.

Annie85x

Mar 12, 2020
There was a brief time around Genichiro when I got the hang of it but that was destroyed by Guardian Ape and then True Corrupted Monk.

I made it to Isshin but by that point I had no desire to even try or deal with the rage anymore. Just don't like it enough to waste my time with it sadly.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
The ashina castle fight mentioned in the OP for sure. I had more trouble with that then I did the final boss. I was stuck on that fight for like a week. I truly believe if you can win that fight you can beat the entire game.

I made the demon of hatred kill himself via cheese. Fuck that boss I don't even feel bad.

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
It still hasn't and I don't think I've gotten all that far. What bugs me about the game is that the boss fights have fuck all to do with the rest of the game (exploring and assassinating mooks). It's like they're two separate games, and I find it frustrating that one doesn't prepare you for the other.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
I was trying to play it like a soulsborne game and you simply cannot.

Lady Butterfly was my first wall but after over a dozen tries it just finally clicked and I started getting really good at Sekiro.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
The first real roadblock was Lady Butterfly but it was Genichiro that actually forced me to fully understand the game's mechanics. My general feeling is once you can beat Geni, you have the skills needed to beat the game.

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ashina seven spears outside the moonlight tower. I literally died more times to that boss then any other and I finished the game.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Genichiro.

But I have seen people beat the game without it ever clicking. They just run around in circles getting in a hit every now and then.

Takes forever every boss, but it works.

kenshee

Nov 8, 2017
Add me on the pile of "beat the game, but it sadly never clicked".
I definitely struggled with Mikiri counter with the first spear user you fight for longer than I should've, and being aggressive kept feeling more like recklessness rather than a plan being executed, even if I did do it that way and not just hit&run as I went on.
But I just never got to a point where encountering a new enemy felt like an opportunity to apply what I've learned, I felt like everything got reset until I got used to their pattern and could push through. (which probably means I never learned the correct, universal lessons)
That loop was exhausting for me tbh. In other from software games perhaps due to overlevelling and using ideal builds I looked up beforehand, after the initial learning curve they tend to be pretty easy going, until some late game/optional bosses. In Sekiro I'd die just as much to any new miniboss as I did to Genichiro for example, I never had a stretch of fun progress. I still think it's a quality game, just really not for me in the end.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Truly? Pretty much in the first minutes. During the first time you have to fight the enemy you have to weaken & deathblow.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
It never did. I wanted it to happen, but it never did and I eventually quit.

The only FromSoft game I have quit.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Genichiro.

But I have seen people beat the game without it ever clicking. They just run around in circles getting in a hit every now and then.

Takes forever every boss, but it works.

That sounds like torture lol, knowing how much easy it can be otherwise, no wonder some people hate it.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Genichiro is designed to be a skill check and a wake up call at the same time, it's such a brilliant fight. Sekiro deserved all the praise and awards it got, super tight package and amazing game.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
GENICHIRO First Fight made learn the mechanics, take my time and be patient.
Guardian Ape Fight made me forget about all the above and activate RUNNING MODE.

Goron3

Alt account
Banned
Nov 24, 2020
I've just arrived at Genericho and I have a feeling this is either going to be the fight that makes me fully understand the game (and commit to finishing it) or give up.

Sekiro is a weird one. Everything outside of the boss fights is fairly straightforward and really enjoyable, but the boss fights are just insanely difficult.

The one thing I'm struggling with is to understand when I've actually done a parry correctly. I end up just spamming L1 but even when I've parried a few hits, I can't really tell if I have.