• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Was there a better spin-off?

• Yes (please list)

Votes: 103 27.2%
  • No

Votes: 138 36.5%
  • Better Call Saul > Breaking Bad

Votes: 168 44.4%
  • Breaking Bad > Better Call Saul

Votes: 56 14.8%

• Total voters

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I can't think of anything that comes so close to being as good or even better than the original. And Breaking Bad was absolutely amazing. BCS completely blew me away as I was so incredibly skeptical from when it was first announced.

Oh and I'm gonna try and sneak in an extra poll option for which series you feel is better. Play nice and use the 2 votes appropriately plz :P

ZeroNoir_

Oct 25, 2017
ExPs727.png

Stop the count

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
I LOVE breaking bad but I believe Frasier is considered the most successful spinoff tv show of all time.

OP
OP
Kaeden

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Had no clue that Frasier was looked at so fondly. I enjoyed it but not like I did Cheers. I still watch Cheers off and on, never had a desire to revisit Frasier. Very interesting.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Had no clue that Frasier was looked at so fondly. I enjoyed it but not like I did Cheers. I still watch Cheers off and on, never had a desire to revisit Frasier. Very interesting.

It shouldn't have been as good; Fraiser was an entertaining one note joke in Cheers and on his own show it's suddenly this fully realized world with his Brother and Father.

In a weird way id argue thematically Fraiser and Saul are pretty close since you have these spinoffs mining pathos and emotion out of male cliches (snobby therapist, sleasy lawyer) where they are always played one note on TV

Last edited:

Lucky Forward

Oct 27, 2017
An honorable mention for Trying Something Different should go to Lou Grant, which spun an hour-long drama off of Mary Tyler Moore's half-hour sitcom and it lasted 5 seasons.

Fei

Oct 25, 2017
Frasier is the only comparable. Kelsey Grammer being a POS aside, that show is excellent.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
People forget it was a spinoff from JAG, hell people forget Jag exists
91f1xYoOUZL._SL1500_.jpg

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Yeah there's a bunch of sitcom spin-offs that are ridiculously good. Simpsons and Frasier? C'mon.

Drama wise I agree Angel is better than Buffy (incl S4) but it's not better than BCS, I can't think of a dramatic spinoff that is.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I watched the first season of Saul when it was first on and never really even thought about the show again after that. I hear from time to time that it's really good. It'd only have to be about 10,000x better than season 1 to be better than Breaking Bad. Thankfully this month I finally just went from 3mbps to 50mbps, so now I can watch whatever the fuck I want. I just watched Saul S2E1 over the weekend. It was a pretty OK episode, I guess. Will def watch E2 at some point.

starlesbian

Unshakable Resolve
May 6, 2021
Better Call Saul is my favourite TV drama. A brilliant exercise in using restraints to create something truly transcendent.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Batman Beyond and Justice League/Unlimited are as good if not better than Batman TAS.