• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Was it?

• Yes.

Votes: 2,185 69.7%
  • No.

Votes: 948 30.3%

• Total voters

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
If Xbox wins next gen we can say they were lucky just like Sony was this gen because the opposition made mistakes right guys?!?!

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Still not as bad as tv tv sports from this gens reveal. Though they could have done a better job with what it was. Unclear messaging.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're literally on record as stating that the only people who care about the information released so far are "bickering console warriors." Don't throw stones if you've made such an incredibly ignorant take like that.
The only people taking the information released so far and drawing definitive predictions for either console are indeed engaging in console wars. I stand by that. Same for people under the impression they have a clear vision of both company's full marketing strategy and how it'll affect the launch performance of either console.
While I don't think it was not bad, it does not offer the best first impression for casuals. It's too technical and not so interesting for this type of people, they want games, games and games. But I'm not worried for Sony, they'll do great things to promote this.
"Casuals" in the sense of the mass market that will make or break either console are not tuning into this livestream, most won't even read the news coming from it. People are taking a technical talk geared towards a technical crowd and misrepresenting it as some core part of Sony's consumer marketing strategy for PS5. It's not.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
Sony will be fine but it was an awful showing. The console is actually interesting but they made it seem incredibly dull.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Just because you knew what it was doesn't mean the vast majority of people did. I'm disappointed because of the specs and lack of full PS4 BC, if I was also expecting a huge blowout like Sony was hyping, I cant imaging what I'd be feeling.

deep tech dive wasn't clear enough I guess

quite frankly, other people's expectations aren't my responsibility

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
It was just weird. The timing is weird.

For PS4 they did the same thing, but AFTER they've showed us the console and some games even. In February we saw the console with all the fanfare and then Road to PS4 was in June. So it was okay. Like, Microsoft showed us the console and then made info dump after couple of months.

Sony gave us technical info dump first just after showing a freaking logo :D I don't really care that much but I understand why your average consumer may be confused.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Pretty much. They should have been smart enough to realize that a slow, droning GDC talk that does nothing to actually sell the console to anyone who wasn't already ready to buy one wasn't a good move, especially when everyone is stressed and anxious about EVERYTHING right now.

I didn't come out of that video feeling excited about the PS5, I came out of it bored and frustrated and wondering why they even bothered.
I know that a lot of people here had mixed views about the Switch Presentation but looking at how the general public liked it Sony should have done something similar

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
They should have reversed it. Reveal the ps5 hardware with it's controllers and features then proceed with this type of conference later down the line. I believe it's a minor thing and all will be fine when they do actually reveal the hardware.

Stook

Oct 30, 2017
User warned: derogatory language
I didn't like it. It was dry, boring, underwhelming and I couldn't even bear to watch it till the end. Did it hurt Sony/PS5? I don't think so. Did it help their case? Probably not either. They've got another chance though when they fully reveal the console, what it looks like, what its features are and most important of all, its amazing exclusive games.

its a GDC talk. Not youtuber Dj Spaz showing you the totally awesome far out features of next gen. It's. a.GDC talk, that's what they look like. Im sure dj spaz will show up in later ps5 videos

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
The bar is set way too high for "events" like this now, it's reached a point where they all receive negative reactions unless they have an incredible surprise.
Between this, the Nintendo indie showcase, the Byleth reveal, the last State of Play and The Game Awards, I think that's the last 5 scheduled announcement type streams I've watched which have all been received poorly by the games community.

Personally, I thought it was what I expected but they probably should have just dumped the video unexpectedly at a random time rather than letting excitement and expectation build.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS5 marketing was bad from the start. This is a continuation. Honestly who ever is responsible should be fired because it is really bad.
this. the way they have handled this is really poor. they went literally 2 days after MS blew away everyone with the console power and features with demos and a teardown.

the fact that they revealed the logo at CES showed me how out of touch they were. This is simply a continuation. they dont understand their own playerbase.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
It could have been worse... they could have endlessly talked up TV features or some ridiculous TV show no one asked for...

Powers anyone?

Dark_Emil

Apr 5, 2018
Holy shit the hot takes in this thread.

The switch is vastly inferior in comparision to the Xbox One X. The PS5 and the Series X aren't even as far apart as the One and PS4 were at launch.

Indeed, but Nintendo don't play the same ball as Sony and Microsoft. I don't mean that the difference is gonna be noticable in real life and I'm sure games for both platforms will be pretty much the same. However, only from a communication perspective this looks abysmal and I am openly pro-Sony but this mismanagement truly annoys me.

SchLosSraTTe

Oct 25, 2017
Was it a marketing blunder? Yes.

Does it matter? No.

As long as the price is competitive and there is no disaster like microsoft's xbox one reveal the Playstation brand and content will let sony win next gen anyway.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I still can't understand why or how it's been slowly revealed this way.

Like...it's so strange.

Microsoft's reveal was also different than usual but felt like there was atleast a bit more structure to it?

There's definitely more structure to what Microsoft is doing. In terms of big public events we've had:

1) Initial tease at E3 with reveal of Halo Infinite and a release period
2) Surprise bombastic reveal trailer at the Game Awards with reveal of Hellblade 2
3) Hardware information and tech demos led by highly-popular Youtubers
4) Inevitable E3-like conference which announces more games, the price, and release date

They have, so far, been slowly revealing what the console is about and what games we can expect from it.
The only people taking the information released so far and drawing definitive predictions for either console are indeed engaging in console wars. I stand by that. Same for people under the impression they have a clear vision of both company's full marketing strategy and how it'll affect the launch performance of either console.

If you believe they're engaging in console wars then report them. That's a bannable offence on Era, after all.

And who says they know both company's entire marketing strategy? Do you think that people simply commenting on what they think about what they've seen so far believe that? do you think some people are somehow less deserving of talking about marketing than you are?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I certainly don't think it gave them a leg up. But it's not a full on fumble like the XBO reveal or Wii U marketing. Somewhere in between.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I don't really know, I knew it was going to be a dull affair from the description of the event. Obviously a lot of people expected more.

People giving away the game about the flops kicked away any hype I had about it.

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It definitely was a miscommunication on their part, but it's not going to matter in the end. The games do.

Sandcrawler

Oct 27, 2017
It's mostly what I wanted but what I want is not what most people want. My friends were pretty disappointed with it and I'd say they are closer to a typical customer than me. They likely felt pressure to promote after the Xbox stuff earlier in the week so they made this out to be something similar. I think not showing off the hardware here was a mistake given how they hyped it up, regardless of if this was originally a GDC talk or not.

I don't see people jumping ship over something like this this far out though. Too many beloved franchises on PS at the moment.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tone deaf. No other way to put it. I don't care if it was always meant to be a GDC talk, but the fact is people are waiting on PS5 juice, they've been waiting, and they got nothing.. Except worse specs than Xbox

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cerny spent ten minutes lecturing us about load times

MS threw up two versions of state of decay to show how much faster xsx will load

Showing not telling is always the better approach.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Nintendo reveals Nintendo Switch:
nintendo_switch_1-gif-convert.gif

nintendo_switch_4.gif

Sony reveals Playstation 5:
playstation-5-reveal-mark-cerny-1584553655.png

hrtf-2.jpg

I personally didn't mind it, but it was a GDC talk, not a hype-generator.

Carmelozi

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
"Casuals" in the sense of the mass market that will make or break either console are not tuning into this livestream, most won't even read the news coming from it. People are taking a technical talk geared towards a technical crowd and misrepresenting it as some core part of Sony's consumer marketing strategy for PS5. It's not.

I agree that "casual" is too broad, I meant people that follow PS5 news but are not really deeply interested in technical parts of a console. I think they should've added it was for devs though.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Minimal blunder. Whatever, that means almost nothing.

Xbox is gonna have the superior tech, but in my eyes, gamepass is way more attractive than teraflops or ssds differences.

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Even though I knew what was expected, I'll admit it was pretty boring and the casual viewer were going to be disappointed. It's not going to slow down a titan like Sony, they could release a picture of the PS5 console tomorrow and the internet would shut down, but this is about today's presentation and today was a blunder.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
If it wasn't meant for the general public, Sony shouldn't have advertised it on Twitter and streamed it for everyone to watch.

Even something as simple as a tech demo or short in-engine launch game announcement would have made the whole thing a lot better. As it stands, they really did just announce a weaker system and a piss poor BC solution.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Yep, I'd say it was. Felt like it was promoted to be something it wasn't, so for your average consumer who doesn't really know it wasn't meant to be a big reveal and has no idea what the numbers mean, only that bigger usually means better, that wasn't a good advertisement for PS5.

It'll be forgotten about once an actual full reveal happens with some games and features being demoed, but was definitely a bit of a blunder on Sony's part.

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
This wasn't a good idea. It was a GDC type event that didn't go in depth like it should have.

Cabal

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
United States
It was a misstep for sure but at the end of the day it's going to mean very little once the PS5 is on shelves. It's certainly not "$599 US dollars" territory

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
While I don't think it was not bad, it does not offer the best first impression for casuals. It's too technical and not so interesting for this type of people, they want games, games and games. But I'm not worried for Sony, they'll do great things to promote this.

Era really needs to decide what the term casual means. The folks getting hype for a 9am system architecture stream is such a drop in the bucket compared to the general public that sees a console reveal trailer + a game and buys it at launch.

Like this is the same place that says that casual audiences doesn't pay attention to any press conferences/gaming media to know that FF7 Remake isn't the full game yet this 54 minute tech talk is a serious blunder for Sony.

Everyone ( who isn't a console war historian/enthusiast) will forget about this in 3 days and the only thing that will matter is the price/games for each console.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Is it the presentation they meant to show? Yeah, it's not like they lied or anything. Was it the presentation people expected? Debatable I guess, some knew what it would be and some didn't. Was it what consumers wanted? No, I don't think so, and I think fulfilling consumer demand is the most important part.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I dunno. For the mainstream crowd this was the wrong message. On the other hand: everyone is talking about it. I remember just a few months ago that people were complaning for days that Sony only unveiled the PS5 logo at CES (? i think).

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Probably too soon to say. Shit was too detailed and rather shabby in the graphics, but it's got the world talking and intrigued or curious. The Internet memes have also been hilarious too, with so many acting like Cerny is some mad genius and people are either too stupid to understand or are now much wiser and more knowledgeable lol.

At the very least the presentation made Sony/Cerny seem like they're really competent and/or on the ball tech wise, and that all their decisions with the hardware were well motivated or intentioned, but on the other hand, the presentation itself just wasn't sexy, easily digestible or fun to watch, whereas all the Microsoft stuff was.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
They really should have thought about the fact that everyone is home and going to watching this even if its original intention was a GDC talk.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
It was terrible, but won't affect them in the long run. Moving on!

Edit: At least the chat was funny... "is this an asmr video?" LOL

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, it was exactly what I thought it would be. Although I do think that they spent a significant chunk of their APU real estate on a custom in/out module that seems neat but over indulgent, and ultimately pointless because Xbox and PC SSD speeds will be baseline for 90% of developers. That might bite them more than any marketing blunder this presentation might have been.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I certainly don't think it gave them a leg up. But it's not a full on fumble like the XBO reveal or Wii U marketing. Somewhere in between.

Even though I really disliked what they did today I think it is far, very far from something like the XBO reveal. I think the majority of people just took it as Sony being weird today. The hype for PS5 is still there. It takes a lot more to kill or even just hurt that. Sony generated a lot of trust and good will from their fans because of their amazing game line up, which is only getting more amazing, and I am pretty sure in their next presentation that's exactly what they will give their fans even more of.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
If it was a video titled "PS5 reveal" then yeah it might have been a blunder, but it wasn't, it was just a gdc talk with some interesting info on what the ps5 will be doing under the hood.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
People needing to point out that it wasn't Xbox One reveal tier says it all really.