• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Was it?

• Yes.

Votes: 2,185 69.7%
  • No.

Votes: 948 30.3%

• Total voters

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
It reminded me of the PS4 Pro announcement.

Cerny shouldn't be put on camera
Brilliant guy but he puts people to sleep.

Also this video should have came after a console reveal

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
I understand what it was and who it was meant for....I wouldn't have made that my first outward PS5esque "event" if you will...

I think that's something you drop after you've done the more consumer friendly SoPs, videos, or whatever.

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
How about showing us how great that SSD is for example. We haven't seen any demo like what MS showed 2 days ago when comparing loading times. It would have been great.

Kanethered

May 29, 2019
Sony should've just sent the video to the each developers internally rather than made it to the public.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
But this was just their GDC presentation.

Are people saying it would have been better to just not stream it for the public?
Better to stream it as the third or fourth video in a series of PS5 videos, with the first video being a consumer-friendly introduction to the system.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
It was just really unnecessary at this point. Terrible timing and ultimately underwhelming.

Still excited to see more, but yeah, I'd call this event a blunder.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe, in the end though casual users who watched and got confused will forget about it once the games presentations will start rolling.

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
You all remember when Sony still did slide shows for sales at their conferences for 2 years after everyone else stopped and it was really awkward? It was like that? But then they used it as their first impression for this cycle.

It's like they heard every talk about how awesome Cerny was during his 20 minute segment of the PS4 reveal, and Jim Ryan hates this public talking sit anyway, so Mark knock yourself out you crazy son of a bitch

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A video like that should come after an event where we see the console and most importantly some exclusives games for the console

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Think about it this way, for people that weren't paying attention and got their expectations lowered, they will have their minds blown by whatever Sony came up with to show the reason for their SSD and the systems they developed to make sure the SSD isn't bottlenecked. I am giddy with anticipation, and I hope PC can also go down that road. I will wait to upgrade until we find out if PC will do so. Some kind of motherboard with chips or something to do whatever PS5 is doing.

No more corridors, elevators, fog door, and walking/fitting through cracks.

Wireframe

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Being one of those tech nerds the info all sounds very exciting, but this absolutely wasn't the way to communicate to over half a million lay people.

MastaKilla88

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 5, 2020
I don't know if this event on its own is a blunder, but I feel like overall Sony just feels a step behind. For me, as a life long PS player, I just keep looking at the other side of the grass and it looks so much greener. The better specs, games pass, constant news, and full BC. If the prices are close, I really have never been so tempted to jump in on Xbox next gen.

ill always want to play Sony's first party games though, but I'm really wondering if that's something that can wait until those games are super cheap and there's price cut mid-gen.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Sony's entire roll out for the PS5 has been very strange. Like they're lagging behind/not entirely confident internally.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
i think the bigger blunder was not showing the console itself.

people wouldn't really pay attention to the numbers and specs as much if they could look at the console and try to guess what each port and button does.

SaitoH

Oct 27, 2017
It was exactly what I thought it was going to be, so I don't think it was a blunder. Of course my own opinion doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, so if the general public considers it to be a blunder then a blunder it is.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
yes i mean where is the console? why didnt they show it?

The intended audience was developers. What the console looks like doesn't matter for development, only what it can do.

That's part of why people were confused. They thought it was a reveal for consumers but it was a talk to explain to devs how the console works and is an improvement on the PS4 at a technical level.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah now we are concerned about the brand.

This thread seems extremely reactionary and negative for no good reason.

Twitter and apparently Youtube are also having the same reactions.

The fact the console is weaker isn't the worst thing in the world.

The fact the presentation was hyped up when it was really just a technical talk without the console or games shown was definitely an issue.

The fact that this is the first major thing we're seeing from PS5 other than Godfall, which also wasn't earth shattering, has people a little worried.

At the moment Sony is in a position where they now have to win back next gen mindshare and impress people because at one point over 600k were watching the stream and most of them will not have been expecting what they saw.

I'm still on board though but I think it's fair for people to be concerned, Sony is just off right now.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
It is exactly how the ps4 did it so no it was fine
www.youtube.com

The Road to PS4 | Mark Cerny talks at Gamelab 2013

Mark Cerny talks about The Road to the PS4 at Gamelab 2013
Massive difference being that the PS4 Meeting was the first big PS4 reveal video. The Road to PS4 video was basically a history of...well, the road to the PS4. And for this gen, THIS was the first big PS5 reveal.

I guarantee you there weren't hundreds of thousands of people watching the Road to PS4 video live.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I think so. They should have handled it better considering it was right alongside the XSX specs release and that damn near every PS fan was looking for any news on PS5. Sort of set them up for failure no matter how you looked at it. I'm glad Eurogamer had an article up on the PS5 partway through the stream though.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously, compare the following:

www.youtube.com

Xbox Series X Hands On, Gameplay & Controller!

Xbox Series X hands on reaction: specs, gameplay, controller and more! Want more? My podcast on the details of the Series X 🎧 https://www.relay.fm/testdriver...

www.youtube.com

The Road to PS5

PS5 lead system architect Mark Cerny provides a deep dive into PS5’s system architecture and how it will shape the future of games.

One is energizing, upbeat, fun, and actually shows off some of the benefits of the underlying hardware.

The other is cheesy, dark, and monotonous.

Both dive deep into nerdy tech talk about SoCs, bandwidth, and clock speeds. But one does a much better job of conveying and marketing that information. The decision for Sony to talk deep about the tech was fine - it was a failure to package and present it in a professional and high quality manner.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
A technical presentation shown to the wrong audience. The information was noteworthy, but the build up didn't match. A definite mistake.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Jason point of view is the right one. Also to be fair. Compared what Xbox has done with Series X so far regards the reveal of it. And then this monday also with a deep dive but done in a way better way. This was always gonna look bad compared to it.
Is it a marketing blunder? Nah. They were kinda in a though spot in the end.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Most people will never care about a bunch of numbers or the specific pieces of plastic inside the console. They care about the games and the features.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
It's better than than the nothing they were relaying information-wise at any point in the past year, so there's that.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In a world that seems to be dumber by the minute I actually enjoyed this but only watched the highlights...

But a reveal it was not, it felt like a GDC talk, perhaps it originally was?

ps3ud0 8)

STech

Sep 24, 2018
Yeah, they have made a huge mistake with this presentation. Can they get better?: absolutely, but it's going to be hard...

Oct 27, 2017
It is exactly how the ps4 did it so no it was fine
www.youtube.com

The Road to PS4 | Mark Cerny talks at Gamelab 2013

Mark Cerny talks about The Road to the PS4 at Gamelab 2013

But the huge difference here is the Road to PS4 talk came way after the PlayStation Meeting in Feb 2013 which was the proper reveal (without the console but with the pad, the name, the specs and the first games).

Today we got the tech talk before any formal PS Meeting event. Sure we had the tidbits from the Wired articles, but yeah, the public perception is different compard to 2013.

Oct 28, 2017
Nah. People will quickly forget about this event when we get a full reveal with games shown etc. Not to mention pricing announcements. There's a long road ahead yet.

Chamon

Feb 26, 2019
I liked it, but ALL of my "gamer friends" were disappointed. Everybody will forget this when we actually see the games and the console though...

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil
Well, since Sony hyped it on their media channels, they immediately draw attention from consumers. They had to be aware that, from all the zero news about the Ps5 so far (a logo FFS), everybody would turn to this first presentation, even if it was originally intended for developers only. KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE!

Also, it was terrible from and audiovisual point of view. It was low budget, the fake MT3000 audience obscuring a part of the screen was horrendous, audio was low and boring (comparisons to ASMR were immediate), everything was apparently put together in a minute.

Terrible first impression. If only Sony had actively marketed this as a dev only talk, or if only we had some kind of info on the system beforehand.. but not, Sony media starved everyone and then came up with this first ever news on their primetime system on a horrid format.

Sure it was a blunder that will sit right next to the comparison sheets on the the systems specs compared to its rival.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like people are dumb. But that's probably something Sony should've been prepared for, by for instance being overtly clear about what this was going to be. So yes.

But it won't matter if they do a good proper actual reveal event where they show games and all of the things.
Sony's road to the PS5 sure has been weird so far though.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
They did not know their audience.

Releasing this as a GDC talk is one thing. Pass it out to your list of devs or share it via an industry focused channel. But if you're going to announce this thing on Twitter and share it to everyone in the world, you gotta adjust the presentation to match your audience. Most people watching do not give a single fuuuuuuuuuck about a lot of the technical stuff that went on today.

Hell, even those in the industry found it to be incredibly dry, boring, and overly confusing at best.

Meanwhile, Microsoft out here this week showing off games being played. They revealed the specs for those that care. They showed off the console design back in December. They talked about how you can play all your old games but upscaled, etc.

Sony showed off specs and a logo. Boring.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Ah now we are concerned about the brand.

This thread seems extremely reactionary and negative for no good reason.

i wouldn't say no good reason. they gave some hard specs but everything else is still vague.
The intended audience was developers. What the console looks like doesn't matter for development, only what it can do.

That's part of why people were confused. They thought it was a reveal for consumers but it was a talk to explain to devs how the console works and is an improvement on the PS4 at a technical level.

The intended audience was not developers. you don't do a open tweeted public video just for developers.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It was exactly what they said it would be but it was also a blunder because they had 600k people watching this thing and they didn't give them what they wanted.

RPG

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
No. It was a wonderful example of how to present technical information and how/why the 'console stats' play an impact in the overall design of the product. Loved the presentation.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The full picture from that one tweet:

But to your point: I don't think it will matter. People are already starting to discuss SSD/memory potential with more article exposure etc.

And once games are shown for both consoles, the controllers etc. it will reset things once again.

His tweet doesn't make sense. Most of the talk was about the advantages a 2x SSD will bring. Zero loading times and the shackles taken off developers visions. Okay they didn't show games but there was never really a chance of that considering Sony were probably shooting for a mid June first showing of games and it's still three months away.