• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PreeminentDB

Oct 25, 2017
I hated the single player but played hundreds upon hundreds of hours in 4 way split screen. It was the only game me and my friends played for a year+

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
I'm sure I'm not the only one, but we used to tape a piece of cardboard to the tv so we couldn't screen cheat. So each team sat on one side of the cardboard.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
No, the SP campaign was very good for the time. It is fair to say that MP is what kept people coming back for more.

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
No. Goldeneye's multiplayer is what made it a phenomenon, but it's not the only reason the game was loved. To this day, I still wish at least one modern game would rip off Goldeneye's mission and objective structure.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
The multiplayer was probably the biggest reason (and the only thing I really cared about myself) but the campaign has always had its fans. It has a pretty substantial speedrunning community for it even to this day as well.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The Multiplayer had the replay value of course but the campaign was a fantastic experience back in the day and it had enough secrets and challenges to reward going back to it. It hasnt aged well but it was really something at the time

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
The campaign was incredible and had tons of replay value. The multiplayer was the cherry on top that cemented it as a classic

Jerrod

Dec 24, 2017
Both, my friends and I would take turns trying to speed run the levels to unlock all the cheats when we were taking breaks from multiplayer.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I remember the first time I played Goldeneye...it was multiplayer and I was used to stuff like Quake on PC.....

In the late '90s, the $300ish needed to get an N64 + Goldeneye + extra controllers was far, far more approachable than the $1,000+ needed for a high-end Pentium PC, let alone $$ on top for a dedicated graphics cards. And the console space had just barely exceeded a point where Doom ran at 320x240ish resolution. Context is everything.

Also, +1 to everyone who pointed out what a single-player revelation Goldeneye was at the time. Not to mention how wild it was that you could shoot INDIVIDUAL BODY PARTS, well before Soldier of Fortune made this a PC gameplay pillar.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The multiplayer was a blast for sure, but personally I loved the mission based levels, with varying objectives as you cranked up the difficulty. Coming from hordes of FPS games prior that were basically just "run to the end of the level killing everything you see", stealthily picking dudes off in an air vent, or taking pictures of secret spy plans was so much fun. Learning that there were cheats you could unlock for beating said levels under certain conditions made me want to play that mode more and more. I didn't always have friends around to play multiplayer, but I could always challenge myself against the computer.

Of course, Perfect Dark eventually came along and blew Goldeneye out of the water in every single aspect for me. Including multiplayer, thanks to the addition of their insanely smart bots

FlexMentallo

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
Only really played the Campaign for Goldeneye, and loved it. MP I barely played, though.

Was at my first job where we had networked PCs so my MP fix was a deep after work obsession with Quake, Carmageddon & Diablo for that bunch of years.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Perfect Dark made Goldeneye 007 feel like a beta by comparison. Improved the game in nearly every way and added more depth and complexity, though it's hard to compete with such a legendary IP as James Bond

Shiny Man

Nov 18, 2020
Loulé
No. It was loved back then because it was one of the greatest games of its time. It aged in the same sense that Zelda 1 aged, alot of improvements were made with time but no one can deny how great and important it was.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
I loved the multiplayer but no. The game's single player levels were just fun to play and replay over and over. Using cheats was a great time. If you were bored you could go for faster times or play on the higher difficulties. Plus it had secret levels!

The game has not aged well AT ALL, but back then it was one of those games you could play all day. And, if you weren't playing multiplayer then you were talking about your favorite stages/weapons with friends. Goldeneye was an eventful, impactful game.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
No - the single player was great fun

Multiplayer was incredible though yes

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
I played the single player a fair bit. It was quite unique and innovative at the time.

The multiplayer I only messed around with a little

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
The objective-based campaign was extraordinarily innovative. Dark Forces may have had mission briefings with objectives, but the way they were integrated into Goldeneye with the different difficulty settings was masterful. The way you go through a level on Agent can be completely different than on 00 Agent, there was incredible replay value. It was a total package that well earned its place in history.

EDIT: And you couldn't have really asked for a better soundtrack to sell the super-spy atmosphere

Last edited:

Kr1spy

Oct 28, 2017
Silver Spring, MD
I loved the campaign and replayed it over and over again to try to unlock all the cheats. It was the first game to get me interested in speed running.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
It's one of the top ten single player campaigns for an FPS, so no, a lot of people loved it.

Mr. Gold

Jul 1, 2019
Proximity mines in the facility is my GOAT multiplayer experience with 4 players crammed on a small arse tube TV

The campaign itself was astounding, achievement hunting was great. It does not hold up at all unfortunately.

The GOAT

Nov 2, 2017
Very much so. I liked the campaign as well, but mp was the shit. Head to head was pretty intense. We mostly had 4 player battles, though. Good times.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
I played it for the single-player, which was great. That said, I did enjoy Perfect Dark more because of the superior multiplayer options (the addition of sims really enhanced the replay value for me when I couldn't play with friends).

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Campaign was what made the game for me, MP was nice and all but then Perfect Dark came along and added bots and plenty more maps which made it far superior. Also co-op.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
In the late '90s, the $300ish needed to get an N64 + Goldeneye + extra controllers was far, far more approachable than the $1,000+ needed for a high-end Pentium PC, let alone $$ on top for a dedicated graphics cards. And the console space had just barely exceeded a point where Doom ran at 320x240ish resolution. Context is everything.
My family most definitely did not have a $1000 top of the line PC lol.

I'm simply saying that as a ~14 yr old kid, the game felt very bad in comparison and it's a vivid memory for me because I was excited to play it. Of course, I knew by then that PCs were more capable than consoles but I remembered it because it was a very clear example of that at the time.

I still remember asking my Dad for FIFA for SNES (I never did get an N64 of my own) and he got it for PC instead (which never crossed my mind) and being blown away by what I was playing.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Play other console FPSs, hell, most PC FPSs from 1997. How many of them have multiple objectives outside of "shoot bad guys" or "find key cards"?

For a small team working to a tight deadline, they delivered a stunning game. The fact that we never got the 360 remaster in the end was criminal.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Not for me. I did play the mp, but little comparatively. I love the game mostly for the sp. It's been forever since I've played it, but I remember really liking the different objectives and replaying them on higher difficulties.

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
I played Goldeneye single player every day for at least 7 months. With so many FPSes of the era featuring fantastical weapons, monster/demon enemies and supernatural settings, the human enemies and "realistic" environments and weapons of Goldeneye were revelatory for me. The enemy hit and death reactions were unlike anything I'd seen before, and for many years after I was consistently disappointed that other shooters were not following suit.

I loved nearly every single level in that game, which I cannot say for Perfect Dark. I liked the dataDyne levels, Carrington Villa and the mission on the jet, and that was pretty much it.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
the campaign, for a console audience, was pretty revolutionary.
Not sure what you mean, when Goldeneye came out the world of PC FPS was still mostly Build engine (Redneck Rampage, Blood) or modified Quake (Hexen II). There wasn't even anything trying to do what Goldeneye was doing and it was still a good year and a half off from Half-Life coming out and changing the genre forever. Goldeneye came out at an exact time where PC players were bemoaning the overabundance of "Doom Clones", waiting patiently for Quake II, and looking far off into the distance to Half-Life.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
Play other console FPSs, hell, most PC FPSs from 1997. How many of them have multiple objectives outside of "shoot bad guys" or "find key cards"?

For a small team working to a tight deadline, they delivered a stunning game. The fact that we never got the 360 remaster in the end was criminal.
I played Goldeneye single player every day for at least 7 months. With so many FPSes of the era featuring fantastical weapons, monster/demon enemies and supernatural settings, the human enemies and "realistic" environments and weapons of Goldeneye were revelatory for me. The enemy hit and death reactions were unlike anything I'd seen before, and for many years after I was consistently disappointed that other shooters were not following suit.

I loved nearly every single level in that game, which I cannot say for Perfect Dark. I liked the dataDyne levels, Carrington Villa and the mission on the jet, and that was pretty much it.
sums up my thoughts nicely

sure you can like the feel of mp quake (I certainly did, was still playing it around 2000) but this idea that 007 didn't do anything new is complete bunk
the campaign was a breath of fresh air at a time when most games followed the doom formula

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
No, the single player was beloved. It was revolutionary in a lot of ways and was super high quality.

Yes, Perfect Dark improved on the game in most ways. It's largely a much better game that had the misfortune of coming second so it's not the groundbreaking one.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
No way. I sunk just as much time into that single player trying to unlock all the cheats and secret levels or just dicking around by setting alarms and mowing down hordes of bad guys or just shooting them in various body parts to see there reactions.

The single player was quite revolutionary at the time.

Remapped88

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I loved the multiplayer but I remember playing through a lot of the single-player stages multiple times just to finish all the objectives.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Multiplayer was obviously great. But the single player was really nice too. Very faithful to the movie, tons of options for completing missions, accessible or very challenging depending on what you're looking for, etc. The Natalia babysitting missions were annoying, but overall one of the best games of the generation I think.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
I believe the objective based difficulty modes are brilliant and is something to few games does, even today.

ericsp17

Oct 27, 2017
Not at all, it was a major step forward for console FPS at the time and fun to experiment with once you learned the levels. It was more enjoyable than the movie. I only seriously got into the mp a couple years later in college until we learned about Half Life and Counterstrike.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
The single player is well loved but so many people who didn't own Goldeneye played the multi, so that's really what it's known for. As long as one person in your circle had Goldeneye, you were good to go.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
What? No! The campaign was great and I played through it multiple times. Also playing on harder difficulties introduced tougher objectives which was pretty cool and something games don't generally do these days.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Both were very important. I mainly loved the game because of the singlplayer while my brother mainly loved it because of the multiplayer.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There was nothing like the objective-based gameplay of the single player campaign at the time and I can't really think of any game aside from Perfect Dark that really nailed that as well. There were a lot of fun gameplay mechanics you could use in a sandbox style of play too. The single player mode had a ton of depth.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
People liked it for lost of reasons. Multiplayer was fun. The campaign was really good at the time, I especially love how each difficulty adds objectives you have to complete for every mission. Also the soundtrack was amazing.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Perfect Dark XBLA at least proved this would have probably held up much better if it had a better controller and frame rate, real sad the XBLA version died.
Yeah, there's a great game in there that was hampered by the original hardware. I bought N64 Perfect Dark day one and regretted it. Given how long the game was in development, the frame rate was unacceptably bad, especially since it supported the RAM pack.

As for Goldeneye, I think the game is overhyped by console-only gamers but I still really enjoyed the single player mode at the time. Its objective-based design was a nice evolution of what the earlier Terminator: Future Shock had done.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
Because a Nintendo 64 back then cost 200$, while a PC meant for FPS cost 7-10 times as much.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
At the time I was also playing Doom, Quake, and Build Engine games (Duke 3D in particular) and was still enthralled with everything about Goldeneye. It wasn't as smooth as the FPS experiences on PC, but it was doing its own thing on console.

Goldeneye was as fresh as anything else at the time. The structure of the single player kept people coming back for more and the presentation was on point. For a 1997 console game, there's no better example of the "full package."