• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sw26

Oct 27, 2017
Never had an issue with it.

Might not be the smoothest 3rd person game ever in terms of control and fluidity but it's fine and a great game.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure, liked both GTAV and RDR2.
Some people here seem to miss that essential human quality: adaptation.

"This game's gunplay is unplayable gahbage!". Got used to it in an hour. Okay.

KenobiLTS

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
One of my most hated games and mostly because of the garbage controls and physics.
Lool ok, since when a game with 98 meta score and 8 user score is thevmost hated game? Just because some 30 years olds in Era didn't like it it's the most hated? Ok dude, whatever you say

Last edited:

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it is "bad on purpose" but that Rockstar don't know how to make a game that controls well, and focus on animation priority over responsiveness.
People often cite Max Payne 3 as controlling much better than the GTA or RDR games, and while that may be true, it still doesn't control well - especially on PC if you're trying to use a mouse.

It gives it a weight to the world, I like it. I'm one of the few that actually liked how killzone 2 felt.
Use a cheap TV with lots of input lag if you think it somehow enhances the experience, instead of encouraging developers to make games that control badly.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's bad.
You could use this to excuse practically anything. What a nothing statement.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
It's fair enough if you don't like them, but it wouldn't have sold so many milestones if the controls were objectionably bad.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
People often cite Max Payne 3 as controlling much better than the GTA or RDR games, and while that may be true, it still doesn't control well - especially on PC if you're trying to use a mouse.

honestly one of the strangest takes I've seen in a while, MP3 on mouse is amazing, and I've never heard anyone imply that it's better played with a gamepad.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Casual gamers who care about the open world aspect, attention to detail, narrative, etc. of these games. Like, my friends who buy a game every year or so, they all buy GTA and Red Dead. I do, too. It's also a mix of hype and impressive marketing on Rockstar's side. I'm not saying these games are bad, but it's clear that the target audience (so not resetera) doesn't care about controls, gameplay and the mission structure of "go take this person from one place to another and listen to a dialogue".

I'm confused because I'm pretty sure the game managed to get second OT and everytime there is poll thread about how ERa feel about RDR2 the positive choice always outnumber negative choice by huge margin. Not to mention RDR2 got 2nd place in 2018 ERA GOTY.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
honestly one of the strangest takes I've seen in a while, MP3 on mouse is amazing, and I've never heard anyone imply that it's better played with a gamepad.
The game has severe negative acceleration - so the faster you move the mouse, the slower the camera turns.
The higher resolution your mouse is, and the lower the in-game sensitivity is, the worse it gets.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I'm confused because I'm pretty sure the game managed to get second OT and everytime there is poll thread about how ERa feel about RDR2 the positive choice always outnumber negative choice by huge margin. Not to mention RDR2 got 2nd place in 2018 ERA GOTY.
In my personal experience, there are so many people that find the success of these games so frustrating and mind boggling that attempting to engage them is more likely to get them to insult your taste or hell, even you as a person, instead of anything approaching a conversation. Even this barebones OP has to take a shot at GTAV having a high Metacritic score because it can never be just about how you feel, but how other people are actually wrong in how they feel.

Most people like these games, at least, that's the impression I get whenever numbers get involved, but I think they've just learnt to not bother engaging with the hatred.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i think "problems" with gameplay in GTA/RDR stem from them being swiss army knife games, it's not a dedicated third person shooter, driving sim, ect so no one particular element will be all that refined

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
I'm confused on why this should even confuse anyone. I'm not trying to downplay these games' qualities, I'm highligthing what the focus of GTA and Red Dead is. The fact that hardcore gamers aren't the main focus doesn't mean that hardcore gamers won't like it. Like the FIFA games, it's made to be liked by a huge audience, it's not a niche, pure gameplay experience.
GTA doesn't focus on gameplay, it's clear as day. Just like Botw doesn't focus on story.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
i think "problems" with gameplay in GTA/RDR stem from them being swiss army knife games, it's not a dedicated third person shooter, driving sim, ect so no one particular element will be all that refined
Pretty much. They do everything just well enough for most people to be pleased with it. It's one of those cases about the sum of the parts being what people remember, or notice to begin with, not necessarily the minutia of every aspect of the game. RDR2 might have pushed it a bit with its lenghty animations, but the majority of people seem to just accept it for what it is.

Honome

Jan 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I think it's a game ahead of it's time. Rockstar is already preparing us for the brave new streaming future where there will be lag in every game.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Turn on lock on targeting if you need it. If you're playing with a controller then you're used to games helping you aim.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I thought it controlled alright (at least better than GTA IV and RDR2).

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
I'd recommend messing with the control settings until they feel better. For example, I think the deadzone settings on a controller are set to maximum by default and that feels pretty awful.

Even when you've got it right it will still feel like you're controlling a permanently drunk character when you're on foot, but I found the gunplay and in particular the vehicle gameplay of GTAV to be fantastic. GTAV online is one of the best open world racing games ever if you have people to play with, which is where I got most of my fun from the game.

OP
OP
abrasivemurk

abrasivemurk

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'd recommend messing with the control settings until they feel better. For example, I think the deadzone settings on a controller are set to maximum by default and that feels pretty awful.

Even when you've got it right it will still feel like you're controlling a permanently drunk character when you're on foot, but I found the gunplay and in particular the vehicle gameplay of GTAV to be fantastic. GTAV online is one of the best open world racing games ever if you have people to play with, which is where I got most of my fun from the game.
Yeah the deadzone feels awful, didn't know you could change it.

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
The gameplay in GTA V is fine, good even.

It's also at this point a 6 year old game...

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Playing in first person mode helps a lot because your character will no longer do turning animations and they'll strafe instead. However, there is no option to automatically go to third person when you enter a car which is really annoying.

There is, I played the whole game in first person, with third person cover + driving, and I had a much better time than if I tried to wrestle with third person (also, no need to keep tapping to sprint!)

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
I disagree that the gameplay was bad, played through the campaign at least 6 times, but I no dev would purposefully make their game play bad, so no.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes it does. It means it's bad to them.

That's not what he's saying. Look at the thread title.

You could use this to excuse practically anything. What a nothing statement.

Not really.

GTA V's gameplay is not bad, it's serviceable at worse. It has one of the most casual audience by virtue of being one of the best selling game of the last decade, meaning that people who aren't used to play games manage to play this one quite easily.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
it's not just about animations. rockstar games have inherent input lag on top of what comes from waiting for the animation

for examples on how to do animation priority right, look at souls games and MGSV
MGS V animations look fuckin silly a lot of times . Uncharted 4 or AC games are the best middle ground .

Jul 24, 2018
Well the car driving is definitely a lot better than GTA IV's fridge on rollerskates controls. Your character still controls like driving a forklift through a hedge maze though that seems to be a staple of the series. I don't why you still have to mash a button to run, the recent Yakuza games does this too. :/

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I had no qualms with the controls on PS4, but auto aim certainly dampens my enjoyment. That's on me actually.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
It's bad and the control schemes (On controller at least) are bad too. Don't know whether or not it's intentional but I could not tolerate playing for very long.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Atleast you could free aim with some effort in GTAV, can't even do that in RDR2 where free aiming is near unusable.