• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017

Several reasons; blatant disregard for proper use of force, admitting in the thread to using a weapon as "a barrier" rather than having intention to use it, possible/apparent disregard for home defense law, etc. Those things go against the basic principles that are instructed in any firearms course, let alone in law enforcement training.

I mean, assaulting a potentially dazed innocent with a deadly weapon kind of says it all by itself.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Who's acting aggressive, I'm not "coming out strapped" I support blanket gun bans.

What is the crime in a woman carrying something with her just in case

This may surprise you, but responding to a scene of a vehicle accident armed with a weapon is not normal in other countries. Most people would first make sure to see what state the victim(s) are in and call the authorities.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
F34R good for you to see that you didn't handle the situation on the best way and decided to act on it - giving up your gun is an important step.

Your situation is fascinating to me. You seem very level headed, how much time do you spend each day to understand your situation?

It was asked before in this thread, but how did you end up with your account here? Do you check your post history all the time to understand what you were thinking day to day over the last few years?

And is there the possibility to recover from your condition?

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The narcissism required in this situation is amazing.

involve yourself in none of your business, pull a gun on an injured person, assume they are a threat when you put yourself in their way. Even the law says you are supposed to FLEE. Well they thought they were a cop and above the law and protecting nothing makes sense

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This may surprise you, but responding to a scene of a vehicle accident armed with a weapon is not normal in other countries. Most people would first make sure to see what state the victim(s) are in and call the authorities.
Again why are these two things mutually exclusive, it's not like I'm walking up ready for the pitch, Jesus

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Bear with me. Power is out from the pole being hit and I have a long explanation to type up and that'll take forever on the phone.

I'll just post this for now. You all are right. I shouldn't have even been out there. Also, the gun is gone. Period. My brother came and got it after I talked this over with my wife and kids.

I'll have more to post when I get power back.

Good. Thank You.

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018
Christ, why is everyone piling on the OP? Yes he reacted poorly. Did he explain why? Yes. Did he reflect on it. Yes. I have mental health issues and have acted "irrationally" to the greater public but it made complete sense to me at the time. The most important thing to take away is that the OP reflected on it and acted on it in retrospective.

It's much more than I can hope for for a lot of people with MH issues. I'm glad everyone's ok in this story and lessons were learned.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The wildest part of this thread is that even in the real case of someone—here, OP—clearly being in the wrong and recognizing he's in the wrong, people will just make up hypotheticals to defend that person.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I'm glad OP won't remember a lot of these replies. There's absolutely been a lot of level headed responses criticizing him, and a lot of shitty hot takes and personal insults that we're apparently now okay with, and he's taken them all with a great attitude. But some of the shit being said in here is vile as fuck.

LastCaress

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
If OP has memory issues, like they say they do, that is even more of a reason that they should not have a gun.

They should absolutely not own a gun, and that was already suggested in the last thread. Someone said last year :

So you could shoot someone and not have any recollection of doing so. Yeah I'd say you shouldn't even own any guns.

OP could've killed someone, or get killed. Glad he gave up his gun, because I can't even understand how someone with those issues could own one. Sincerely hope him the best, and hope for the best recovery possible.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
That's a mistake I made. I should have stayed inside and called 911.

If someone barrels through over 100 yards of property in an area that isn't an accident risk at all in itself, at 2am in the morning, then that raises suspicions more than just it being a random accident that happened. When my daughter said she heard tires screeching, that's when I decided to get my gun from the safe and go outside. It wasn't the right thing to do. I'm fully aware of that after the fact and it won't happen again. I did the measurements with distance and from the tire marks and he's estimated to have been going 70mph when he hit the neighbors mailbox pole, it threw it about 60 yards into my yard. My box went 52 yards. He went off the road into our yards for almost 100 yards from the time he left the road and then went back on the road to go across the street and take out a light pole and a brick wall.

I was NOT going to shoot the guy. Not sure how many times I have to say it. It's like someone who isn't me can say, no matter what I say I was going shoot him. Yet, I can't sit here, knowing my thoughts, and say I wasn't going to shoot him.

13 years active on the department, you think I shot people who didn't comply? I've never even discharged my weapon except for qualification. I didn't shoot the guy who came at me with a sword and axe. I didn't shoot the guy who pointed a gun at me. Yet, you're sure I would shoot this guy.

I wasn't trying to call your integrity into question. In my world, growing up on farms/rural areas and hunting for food, you do not point a gun at anything you do not intend to kill. I understand its different for cops, but there is zero way to know how you would of reacted had he not complied or got aggressive. You cannot say if he got aggressive you wouldn't have shot him. You admit you were confused and just woken up and anxious, you need to admit that you might have shot him if the situation had played out differently. And even if he had gotten aggressive you would still be in the wrong for shooting him because having the gun at all escalated the situation 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.