• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The fuck y'all acting like drunk drivers are reasonable people who will get out after a crash and have some coming to god moment thankful they're still alive and not at all lash out at witnesses.

I don't like guns but I sure wouldn't be without some kind of weapon around that shit

Quiksaver

Oct 26, 2017
I won't jump on the coming straight out the underground bandwagon

But dude given your history you shouldn't even be near guns to begin with

OP
OP
F34R

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I only brought the gun from my side when he refused to stop coming to me on my property. I gave him plenty of times to stop. I did not approach him once he got out of the truck. Once he saw I was serious, he stopped and backed away and walked back to his truck. He was about to open the passenger door when the other cops showed up.

I admit I didn't help the situation, but I certainly didn't intend to shoot someone that didn't have weapon, and damn sure wouldn't lie about anything I've ever posted on anything forums, social media etc. I'm not like that.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I only brought the gun from my side when he refused to stop coming to me on my property. I gave him plenty of times to stop. I did not approach him once he got out of the truck. Once he saw I was serious, he stopped and backed away and walked back to his truck. He was about to open the passenger door when the other cops showed up.

I admit I didn't help the situation, but I certainly didn't intend to shoot someone that didn't have weapon, and damn sure wouldn't lie about anything I've ever posted on anything forums, social media etc. I'm not like that.
He was just in a damn wreck, he probably was disoriented and just wanted help. Why did you go outside in the first place if you thought he was going to be a threat? Just sit in your house with the doors locked and call the police.

Why go outside, with a gun, and then when a disoriented person gets out you start yelling at him like you own the neighborhood?

Oct 30, 2017

I mean, if there was an insane accident outside on the street and the guy left the wreck and was walking towards my house, I'd probably just run up and make sure he was okay, and try to help him, because he was probably in shock and distraught, and possibly seriously injured.
That's just me, thought. A guy without a gun.
Did you think the guy driving was a terminator?

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
71yRTNw.jpg

Sorry OP, I no longer believe you, though I hope you're getting all the care you need.
Read the no longer carry gun thing. He locked it away in a safe, which he mentions in the OP.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Perfectly clear example of someone who should not own a gun right here. And his excuse for this trash behavior is "I have mental instability". Are you fucking kidding me? OP, you should not own a gun, period.

OP: Reaction was wrong. I got rid of my gun.
JackSwift: I didn't bother reading, just wanted to insult the OP.

Thorzilla

Oct 28, 2017
As some one who's followed your history back at PlayStation Universe, I can understand your confusion and can only imagine the shit you had to put through to be where you are today, bud.

That said, maybe you should consider giving up gun ownership? Stuff like this could escalate higher one day and it'd suck knowing you recovered from your accident only to fuck shit up. Not just for yourself, but for your family too.

I'm very opposed to gun ownership and granted, I'm not American so I don't fully understand the point of having one, but perhaps think of this as an opportunity to change for the better.

Stay strong F34R

Iron Mike

Sep 28, 2019
As some one who's followed your history back at PlayStation Universe, I can understand your confusion and can only imagine the shit you had to put through to be where you are today, bud.

That said, maybe you should consider giving up gun ownership? Stuff like this could escalate higher one day and it'd suck knowing you recovered from your accident only to fuck shit up. Not just for yourself, but for your family too.

I'm very opposed to gun ownership and granted, I'm not American so I don't fully understand the point of having one, but perhaps think of this as an opportunity to change for the better.

Stay strong F34R

Check the threadmarks. He gave the gun up.

Deleted member 22490

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The fuck y'all acting like drunk drivers are reasonable people who will get out after a crash and have some coming to god moment thankful they're still alive and not at all lash out at witnesses.

I don't like guns but I sure wouldn't be without some kind of weapon around that shit
A drunk driver hit my parked car a few years ago. Thankfully, no one was hurt (no one was in my car), but I didn't go outside with a weapon.

Oct 30, 2017

I'm glad you gave up your gun, though, dude, glad you recognise that was a bit mental. Stay strong and healthy.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
The thing that most disturbs me is this:
So the guy was drinking and had an accident. If he hadn't complied with your unlawful orders, its extremely likely you would have shot and possibly killed him, no matter what you say now.

So the issue is that someone could have been executed for drunk driving.
I follow a guy on youtube who used to train cops and now feels people shouldn't call the police if they don't consider the crime they are calling for worthy of potential execution.

I have linked this before but seriously, all cops and even everyone else should watch this video:
youtu.be

Let's talk about a cop asking me for training....

Check out the TFC store. Be sure to click on the heart icon on each design's page to see where money is being donated. Each design has shirts, mugs, stickers...

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
I sympathize with OP, considering his situation, not knowing fully what was going on, and I believe he just wanted to keep his family safe from a person who could be assumed dangerous based on his prior police training.

That being said, I feel like for the safety of your family and others, you may wanna get rid of the gun, or change the safe combination to something your wife knows but you don't so there's some level of responsibility shared if things go wrong. You're lucky things ended the way they did where you didn't shoot him and the officers didn't shoot you. But if it happens again, you might not be so lucky. You're also lucky you have a family that can help you with situations like this in the future, and I think that you may want to lean on them more to help you if a situation like this arises again.

Edit: Just read the threadmarks, I'm glad you decided to get rid of the gun.

OP
OP
F34R

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
He was just in a damn wreck, he probably was disoriented and just wanted help. Why did you go outside in the first place if you thought he was going to be a threat? Just sit in your house with the doors locked and call the police.

Why go outside, with a gun, and then when a disoriented person gets out you start yelling at him like you own the neighborhood?
That's a mistake I made. I should have stayed inside and called 911.
I mean, if there was an insane accident outside on the street and the guy left the wreck and was walking towards my house, I'd probably just run up and make sure he was okay, and try to help him, because he was probably in shock and distraught, and possibly seriously injured.
That's just me, thought. A guy without a gun.
Did you think the guy driving was a terminator?
If someone barrels through over 100 yards of property in an area that isn't an accident risk at all in itself, at 2am in the morning, then that raises suspicions more than just it being a random accident that happened. When my daughter said she heard tires screeching, that's when I decided to get my gun from the safe and go outside. It wasn't the right thing to do. I'm fully aware of that after the fact and it won't happen again. I did the measurements with distance and from the tire marks and he's estimated to have been going 70mph when he hit the neighbors mailbox pole, it threw it about 60 yards into my yard. My box went 52 yards. He went off the road into our yards for almost 100 yards from the time he left the road and then went back on the road to go across the street and take out a light pole and a brick wall.
So the guy was drinking and had an accident. If he hadn't complied with your unlawful orders, its extremely likely you would have shot and possibly killed him, no matter what you say now.

I follow a guy on youtube who used to train cops and now feels people shouldn't call the police if they don't consider the crime they are calling for worthy of potential execution.

I have linked this before but seriously, all cops and even everyone else should watch this video:
[Media]https://youtu.be/BmjB7TUroyE[/media]
I was NOT going to shoot the guy. Not sure how many times I have to say it. It's like someone who isn't me can say, no matter what I say I was going shoot him. Yet, I can't sit here, knowing my thoughts, and say I wasn't going to shoot him.

13 years active on the department, you think I shot people who didn't comply? I've never even discharged my weapon except for qualification. I didn't shoot the guy who came at me with a sword and axe. I didn't shoot the guy who pointed a gun at me. Yet, you're sure I would shoot this guy.

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was NOT going to shoot the guy. Not sure how many times I have to say it. It's like someone who isn't me can say, no matter what I say I was going shoot him. Yet, I can't sit here, knowing my thoughts, and say I wasn't going to shoot him.

13 years active on the department, you think I shot people who didn't comply? I've never even discharged my weapon except for qualification. I didn't shoot the guy who came at me with a sword and axe. I didn't shoot the guy who pointed a gun at me. Yet, you're sure I would shoot this guy.
If you pout a gun at someone, I'd say there is a reasonable suspicion that you would shoot them. Come on.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
OP admits he handled the situation badly, posts that he gave up the gun and Era still dogpiles him. What else do you all want from him?

OP
OP
F34R

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
OP admits he handled the situation badly, posts that he gave up the gun and Era still dogpiles him. What else do you all want from him?
It's ok. I can take it.
Would you have shot them if they kept walking towards you?
No. I honestly don't know how I would have handled it beyond that. Kept backing up most likely, delay him until the cops got here. Thinking about it, I understand fully that it was a really bad decision. I can't change what I did, but I definitely can keep from it happening again.

infinitebento

Oct 25, 2017
chicago

youtu.be

Let's talk about a cop asking me for training....

Check out the TFC store. Be sure to click on the heart icon on each design's page to see where money is being donated. Each design has shirts, mugs, stickers...

This has me pretty speechless.

Oct 25, 2017
Op shouldn't have a gun, shouldn't have had one since the accident. glad it's gone now. Relieved that nothing terrible happened here or before. Poor decisions for the past 7 years by everyone that created this possibilty.

I don't have a gun but I probably would have gone outside with a baseball bat to evaluate the situation. If someone shows signs of intoxication and caused property damage in a wreck, I have zero problem with a civilian detaining them until police/Ems arrive. Drunk drivers and intoxicated persons are not to be taken lightly, especially in there early morning darkness. Of course the flip side is if they after everything is safe and while waiting on Ems, you have to see if any aid needs to be rendered immediately.

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel for him and appreciate his honesty and willingness to give the gun up. I wish you a solid recovery op.

I think people are still posting negatively because some of his current posts are still kinda defending the behavior.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Why are you acting like someone who got in an accident outside your house is such a threat that you need to bring a weapon? There is no reason to assume someone who has just been in a car accident is going to attack you.

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I believe you, F34R. Sounds like you're a pretty levelheaded guy normally and had a good record as a policeman. I'm sure your condition makes decision making difficult when in high stress situations like that, and unfortunately you made the wrong choices. It's good that you realize your mistake in hindsight and you're getting rid of the gun now. It was probably not appropriate for you to keep a gun under your particular circumstances anyways. Wish you the best going forward!

OP
OP
F34R

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously. But if I were in the other side of the gun, I wouldn't be thinking that. I'd be thinking "this dude is going to shoot me".
Probably why he listened so easily after he saw that.
I feel for him and appreciate his honesty and willingness to give the gun up. I wish you a solid recovery op.

I think people are still posting negatively because some of his current posts are still kinda defending the behavior.
I wouldn't say defending in so much as I admit that it wasn't the right thing to do.
Why are you acting like someone who got in an accident outside your house is such a threat that you need to bring a weapon? There is no reason to assume someone who has just been in a car accident is going to attack you.
I've been to enough accident scenes under not so normal circumstances to give me a reason to be suspicious. I should have just stayed in the house.

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why should I not be afraid of somebody who is drunk to the point of driving their car through 2 mailboxes, a telephone pole, and a brick wall. He could have killed somebody.

I'd go out with a bat to figure out what's happening, call the police and tell him to wait for help to arrive.

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

How do you know they are drunk? What if they had a heart attack? What if the dodged a dog in the street. What if they had a mental health episode?

Deleted member 32563

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I can't change what I did, but I definitely can keep from it happening again.

All you can do. Learn and be better tomorrow.

What I would suggest is just not posting threads of this nature. Maybe type it out and think about it then delete it. The wider relevancy between the situation and the opinion of those you are asking. Knowing how progressive Era is in addition to how easy of an outlet it can be can make for a slippery slope especially with out context.

IMO, chop it up with your inner circle/people/family and come to a rational conclusion sans the internet. It's clear you felt a particular way about it and potentially sought some validation or better understanding.

Glad it didn't turn out worse. Be easy OP.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey

You did the right thing. That guy was coming towards you and you really don't wanna take any chances. Maybe a bit too extreme, but it's completely understandable. As long nobody was shot, it's OK.

I don't know most people in here are confused he pulled a gun. The driver seemed like he was out of it.

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How do you know they are drunk? What if they had a heart attack? What if the dodged a dog in the street. What if they had a mental health episode?
All of these are far less likely than drunk, so I will continue to assume drunk and bring a weapon just in case, if they were any of those other things luckily I wouldn't have needed it

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
You did the right thing. That guy was coming towards you and you really don't wanna take any chances. Maybe a bit too extreme, but it's completely understandable. As long nobody was shot, it's OK.

I don't know most people in here are confused he pulled a gun. The driver seemed like he was out of it.
I should have just stayed in the house.
All of these are far less likely than drunk, so I will continue to assume drunk and bring a weapon just in case, if they were any of those other things luckily I wouldn't have needed it

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Why should I not be afraid of somebody who is drunk to the point of driving their car through 2 mailboxes, a telephone pole, and a brick wall. He could have killed somebody.

I'd go out with a bat to figure out what's happening, call the police and tell him to wait for help to arrive.
Why go outside at all if you fear for your life? Just stay inside and call the cops. You are adding an unecessary amount of aggression to a situation by going on the offensive when you have not been attacked.

Also you shouldn't be scared of them because chances are the person in that situation is in no shape to do literally anything that would require any amount of physical effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.