• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tidus and Yuna to me are top tier video game romance but SquallxRinoa and ZidanexGarnet where damn amazing too. Rinoa constantly poking at Squall's shell until he finally opens up and then at the end when he thinks everyone's left him and then. That game is so good.

FF7,8,9 and X are the best thing SquareSoft has ever done.

Its a shame that Square did romance well in the 1990's and then we get whatever the fuck Noctis Luna is supposed to be. I'm not ragging on XV, I finished recently and did love it more because of the royal edition but the game failed completely at Noctis and Luna's relationship. Complete and utter failure.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Tidus and Yuna to me are top tier video game romance but SquallxRinoa and ZidanexGarnet where damn amazing too. Rinoa constantly poking at Squall's shell until he finally opens up and then at the end when he thinks everyone's left him and then. That game is so good.

FF7,8,9 and X are the best thing SquareSoft has ever done.

Its a shame that Square did romance well in the 1990's and then we get whatever the fuck Noctis Luna is supposed to be. I'm not ragging on XV, I finished recently and did love it more because of the royal edition but the game failed completely at Noctis and Luna's relationship. Complete and utter failure.

You forgot VI in that list. And even if you were only talking about romantic relationships, Locke and Celes had a very interesting one. Maybe it was not portrayed as well due to system limitations, but I thought it was very well done.

BrunOz

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
JJmy73J.jpg]

thank you for this lol

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
It was a cute teenage relationship. It doesn't have a super deep gravitas, but it wasn't meant to. They complimented each other well and I enjoyed it.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer rosa and Cecil, dagger and zidane or tidus and tuna.

Theme of Love alone does so much emotional heavy lifting for Cecil and Rosa. I love that song.

Actually, come to think of it, the love themes of all three of those couples are just so potent. Cecil & Rosa's Theme of Love, Yuna & Tidus' Suteki Da Ne, Garnet and Zidane's Melodies of Life.

Garnet & Zidane are certainly my favorite FF couple, with the most believable relationship. The emotionality of Yuna's journey is a high point in game I otherwise don't find too enjoyable to actually play.

Squall and Rinoa... I'm waiting to judge their relationship until I do a replay; I seem to recall its cohesiveness being heavily contingent on certain dialogue choices.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
I remember not buying the romance, and feeling like it coming off as extremely forced in disc 3. Part of that reaction could be due to the translation though, whi,h iirc kinda screwed over with Squall's characterisation. But I wasn't convinced when I played the game, and greatly prefer the romanced in FF9 and 10.

Zultima

Mar 4, 2020
I actually feel like it was a pretty realistic romance tbh. Very well done. Squall shy and reserved about his feelings and attraction to her, yet also annoyed at first that she was into seifer. Then she gets in the coma and he realizes what he could be missing out on. Then the near death in space when she regains herself, and subsequent awkwardness by squall *still* after he saves her. But at last he embraces her and takes down his barrier when she spills her fears and feelings of becoming a sorceress in the cockpit on the way home. So beautiful with Eyes on Me playing...ahhhh

But then somehow he chickenshits out and needs his friends to convince him to not let Esthar imprison her, doh.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Lots of things don't make sense in 8, this might not be the worst offender. Not great though.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Better than grabs her ass fuck boi from 9. ( I dont care for most of 9 outside the music and that hunt event)

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think it really worked at all. Sure, once the relationship started, the dynamic kind of worked because Rinoa was the lively girl who brought Squall out of his shell, but there was never a good explanation for why they became attracted to each other in the first place. Rinoa basically never had a reason to like Squall besides thinking he was good looking, and Squall never did anything besides play along.

Imo it did the whole "pretty girl comes out of nowhere and becomes the guy's girlfriend despite the guy doing absolutely nothing for the relationship" thing. Very JRPG/anime relationship fantasy stuff.

I think it's basically that despite Squall desperately trying to keep others at a distance out of fear of getting too attached to others and facing abandonment again his true feelings and personality are obvious to everyone around him. All of his friends are well aware that he's putting on a facade. Rinoa basically makes it a project to get Squall to come out of his shell and she becomes attracted in the process.
Seriously, Seifer's constant, rampant overcompensation has to be masking SOMETHING and not just "he's sad because he grew up at an orphanage or something".
Seifer isn't sad. Seifer was basically a huge Laguna fanboy and watched Laguna's movie religiously (the movie where he played a sorceress' knight). That's why he and Squall choose gunblades.

Despite being a bit more antagonistic, Seifer comes across as an okay guy who runs the school disciplinary committee and cares about justice and likes/respects Squall and loves Rinoa. He breaks out of his cell at Balamb Garden to rush to Timber and rescue Rinoa and Squall's team.

When he takes President Deling hostage, Ultimecia in Edea's body comes to him and preys on his childhood dream of being a Sorceress' Knight like in the Laguna movie and on his memories of Edea being essentially his mother. She essentially brainwashes him by making him believe that Garden was created to kill Edea and that his "friends" were in on it and he vows to protect his mother.

Basically Ultimecia fucked with his head and he's acting like a kid playing movie hero and actually thinks SeeD is evil because they're attacking his mother.

kDQDlLY.jpg

TudWU34.jpg

HNpIu77.jpg

60FeYGC.jpg

jU8MBnv.jpg

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I never liked Rinoa and found the whole romance focus weak of the game.

But the game has a lot of plot issues after disc 1 anyways. Best romance is still Steiner and Beatrix in this franchise.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I think it's basically that despite Squall desperately trying to keep others at a distance out of fear of getting too attached to others and facing abandonment again his true feelings and personality are obvious to everyone around him. All of his friends are well aware that he's putting on a facade. Rinoa basically makes it a project to get Squall to come out of his shell and she becomes attracted in the process.

Seifer isn't sad. Seifer was basically a huge Laguna fanboy and watched Laguna's movie religiously (the movie where he played a sorceress' knight). That's why he and Squall choose gunblades.

Despite being a bit more antagonistic, Seifer comes across as an okay guy who runs the school disciplinary committee and cares about justice and likes/respects Squall and loves Rinoa. He breaks out of his cell at Balamb Garden to rush to Timber and rescue Rinoa and Squall's team.

When he takes President Deling hostage, Ultimecia in Edea's body comes to him and preys on his childhood dream of being a Sorceress' Knight like in the Laguna movie and on his memories of Edea being essentially his mother. She essentially brainwashes him by making him believe that Garden was created to kill Edea and that his "friends" were in on it and he vows to protect his mother.

Basically Ultimecia fucked with his head and he's acting like a kid playing movie hero and actually thinks SeeD is evil because they're attacking his mother.

kDQDlLY.jpg

TudWU34.jpg

HNpIu77.jpg

60FeYGC.jpg

jU8MBnv.jpg
Jesus, thank you. I appreciate you clarifying these points, a lot of people turned their brain off partway through FFVIII and gave up on understanding the plot and characters. Though admittedly the game wasn't exactly easy to put together on a single playthrough, it's a lot easier to read this when you are paying attention a second go around.

Seifer is such an interesting character to me because of this. He a bully, but when you take his actions prior to his turn into account, he clearly just has issues with impulse control, leading him to be prickly around others in a different way to Squall.

They are so alike in different ways, it's not hard at all to see their roles reversed by the point Edea shows up and makes her move.

I would love to see an example of FFVIII where Seifer ended up the hero instead of Squall, and how that could have turned out. Not like fanfiction, but more a similar concept with these roles reversed.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I like how she started as the typical Manic Pixie Dream Girl, which then gets turned around when

she she becomes a sorceress, and then it's Squall who has to become her emotional support.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I like how she started as the typical Manic Pixie Dream Girl, which then gets turned around when

she she becomes a sorceress, and then it's Squall who has to become her emotional support.
It's a pretty awesome twist on the emotional journey. And a proto-example of the kind of turn Tidus and Yuna's story goes in FFX.

Rinoa walked with a dog, so Yuna could fly with a bird.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
I actually feel like it was a pretty realistic romance tbh. Very well done. Squall shy and reserved about his feelings and attraction to her, yet also annoyed at first that she was into seifer. Then she gets in the coma and he realizes what he could be missing out on. Then the near death in space when she regains herself, and subsequent awkwardness by squall *still* after he saves her. But at last he embraces her and takes down his barrier when she spills her fears and feelings of becoming a sorceress in the cockpit on the way home. So beautiful with Eyes on Me playing...ahhhh

But then somehow he chickenshits out and needs his friends to convince him to not let Esthar imprison her, doh.
Yes, a very realistic romance, involving... comas, near-death spacewalks, and sorceress possession. I remember the time I almost allowed a secret, highly advanced nation to imprison my first girlfriend for fear of her destroying the space/time continuum... the folly of youth, amirite?

Anaron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know how anyone can argue that Rinoa of all characters not having a personality. She's like,
one of five actually developed characters in the game.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Mmmf, one of my favourite scenes of ANY game. Hell, any fiction. Their relationship (despite some of the problematic Zidane moments) is one of the best developed romances in any game imo. You really see/feel the initial tensions and growing affection.

Squall/Rinoa are not good. Both individually and as a romance.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Jesus, thank you. I appreciate you clarifying these points, a lot of people turned their brain off partway through FFVIII and gave up on understanding the plot and characters. Though admittedly the game wasn't exactly easy to put together on a single playthrough, it's a lot easier to read this when you are paying attention a second go around.

Seifer is such an interesting character to me because of this. He a bully, but when you take his actions prior to his turn into account, he clearly just has issues with impulse control, leading him to be prickly around others in a different way to Squall.

They are so alike in different ways, it's not hard at all to see their roles reversed by the point Edea shows up and makes her move.

I would love to see an example of FFVIII where Seifer ended up the hero instead of Squall, and how that could have turned out. Not like fanfiction, but more a similar concept with these roles reversed.
Imagine if Ultimecia came to Squall and made him remember who Edea was and told him she wanted to help him find his sister. He'd be slaughtering SeeDs left and right.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I don't know, it all felt pretty abrupt/forced, but I guess that's teenage romance for you. "They're cute and popular, so they've gotta fuck" is basically the law of the land.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Rinoa was part of a resistance group and seemingly stops caring for that once she falls for Squall, that felt a little weird to me.
After the failed kidnapping attempt she becomes involved in something far more important than winning Timber's independence from Galbadia. Her dad hires Squall's group to assassinate Edea because she's plotting world war and Ultimecia ends up killing Deling and becoming leader of Galbadia. The Timber Owls thing was more of a way to piss off her dad and she didn't take it very seriously, but for the rest of the game defeating Ultimecia = defeating Galbadia. And her dad's disapproval is her main motivation for doing anything and he disapproved of her getting involved.

Oct 25, 2017
Squall deciding he likes Rinoa is a bit jarring. For half the game she's pursuing him and he shows no interest. Him coming round to her could have been more deftly handled.

But so much of the plot in the second half of the game is rushed and you have to just go with it.

Yasamuu

Oct 28, 2017
I read a medium post on this topic quite recently.

Thought it summed up many of the feelings I have on their relationship and how it ties into some of the wider narrative/themes. It's not perfect, but that does grant it some believability.

It's certainly one of my favourite pairings in the series, though not quite top tier.

sephiroth7x

Nov 2, 2017
I personally didn't like Rinoa as a character or as a party member. Never included her in anything.

The development between the two felt as organic as it could at the time and within the limitations of the media. For sure, without voice acting or any form of gestures that wouldn't look daft on the models, I feel they did very well with the formation of their relationship.

Looking back on it now, it may come across a bit fluffy and dated, but definitely at the time it was good.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Squall deciding he likes Rinoa is a bit jarring. For half the game she's pursuing him and he shows no interest. Him coming round to her could have been more deftly handled.

But so much of the plot in the second half of the game is rushed and you have to just go with it.
I don't think it was that abrupt. Squall truly wants love and friendship but pushes others away out of fear of loss and abandonment. The situations Squall found himself in and his friends' determination forced him to bond with them. And on top of that he fully regained his memories of why he had these issues (Ellone abandoning him).

Now he had these bonds with Rinoa and the others before the end of disc 2. And at the end of disc 2 the thing he feared would happen if he formed bonds happened. Someone he formed a bond with got hurt. Rinoa was in a coma. So he became driven to save her and not let her be another Ellone. He opened up to her because she was in a coma and did introspection. And that determination to save a friend and realizations about himself and how she tried to help him led to deeper feelings.

The Laguna flashbacks probably helped, too. He thought his dad was lame and Laguna never got with Julia. And Julia was Rinoa's mom. So Squall did what his dad failed to do.

MangoUltz

Mar 24, 2019
I was already leaning towards replaying FF IX because of Kyle Bosman's playthrough just starting but I think this thread has convinced me

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
it's no Tidus / Yuna (the best in FF) or Cecil / Rosa, but it's good. I like the development Squall has. For the technology that existed at that time, I think it was well done as a romance. I'd love to see a remake of the game.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I always thought Squall was a boring plank of wood and Rinoa irritated me so I couldn't care less for any sort of romance between them. Even though I never saw anything there at all.

Also hate the "romance" in X, Tidus always comes across as an narcissistic asshole and Yuna as a dumbass. Never bought their romance either.

IX has Zidane and Garnet, Steiner and Beatrix, and Vivi and Quina. It's wonderful.

Vaser

Oct 31, 2017
You know, for how much Squall hated Seifer, he sure went hard for his sloppy seconds lol

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I like it. They're both very flawed people, but they play off each other's weaknesses. They're also really young, but in a way the game always seems cognisant of. I really like that about VIII. It always seemed aware that its protagonists were flawed and immature, giving rise to the assassination plot going off the tracks.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.

Sucks this is kinda missable, but this scene is a crucial and lovely step in the relationship.

Although to bw fair, trying to force the scene to be romantic by making the song Eyes on Me leads to a less good scene, which makes sense because they aren't there yet as a couple.

So it makes sense that doing the other song leads to a more rounded scene with a better payoff.