• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I think Phase 2 is maybe the weakest? I think the top three films are Ironman, Civil War, and Infinity War, and Phase 2 is the only one without one of those.

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
I feel like I'm in the minority of people who found The First Avenger absolutely boring.

Iron Man 1 was great and I enjoyed Thor 1 for the most part but yeah, I think Phase 2 is where it kicked off for me.

Iron Man 1: Fantastic
Hulk: Meh
Iron Man 2: Hated it
Thor: Fun
First Avenger: Meh (better than Hulk though)
Avengers: Great

Phase 3 is definitely the strongest for me with only one real miss (Ant Man and The Wasp). I could watch any of the Phase 3 films over and over again.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Iron Man 1 is fantastic, everything went downhill from there until captain america the winter soldier, best marvel movie ever.

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
Nice to see Cap getting some love, it's a fun movie. I guess I'm in the minority (or the only one!), but I thought hulk was fine. Thor was terrible though.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Iron Man was and still is great. The last fight sequence is a little weak, but the film as a whole is solid.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Captain America The First Avenger is a nearly great movie that was forced to be merely a good movie because Cap had to get frozen in time for The Avengers.

Seriously, it is paced perfectly until suddenly there's a montage that fast forwards things to fit the corporate grand plan.

I think Phase 2 is maybe the weakest? I think the top three films are Ironman, Civil War, and Infinity War, and Phase 2 is the only one without one of those.
No. Winter Soldier is better than Civil War and in phase 2. Iron Man 3 is underrated/needlessly shat on because of the Mandarin twist. Ant Man is good fun. And Guardians of the Galaxy rocks.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Like Incredible Hulk was very forgettable and Thor was just okay imo. I do genuine like Cap 1, it's my favorite of Phase 1 except for Avengers.

Iron Man 1 was decently entertaining while Iron Man 2 is probably the only real bad film of phase 1. I mean the best way to describe Phase 1 is they did their job which was to set up for Avengers.

Yeah.... Ironman was the best, the first Cap is better in hindsight than it was at the time of its debut... So yeah, Avengers being done so damn well and sticking the landing was what really set fire to things. That turned a lot of casual moviegoers into literal "Im gonna go see all the connecting MCU movies" people for sure.

gilded_Pb

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely the weakest phase. And even though I had a hella memorable night at the Avengers midnight showing, it really hasn't aged that great.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
it was all garbage except for Iron Man

they stepped their game up after Guardians/Cap 2. Almost all mcu movies before that were pretty abysmal but now majority of them are consistently entertaining.
Yep.

I like Cap 1 slightly more than I used to, under the lens of a campy Rocketeer-style family action movie. But it's the weakest of his movies and still has bad pacing. Kind of wasted an awesome actor playing an awesome comic book villain.

Iron Man 2 and Thor 1 are pretty bad. I used to defend them but my rewatch earlier this year exposed a lot of warts.

They all feel exactly the same.

Winter Soldier/GotG were first greats post Iron Man and glimpse of what the MCU could be without Perlmutter.

Now it's getting weird and fantastical. I love it. The Raimi-directed Multiverse of Madness, Wandavision, fucking Moon Knight, She-Hulk, Devil Dinosaur, Blade, the Eternals and another Taika-directed Thor movie are coming. I'm excited.

Captain America The First Avenger is a nearly great movie that was forced to be merely a good movie because Cap had to get frozen in time for The Avengers.

Seriously, it is paced perfectly until suddenly there's a montage that fast forwards things to fit the corporate grand plan.

Ugh, exactly!! After that montage, the rest of the movie is on fast-forward and fits the same stupid mold as Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2 and Thor. It sucks.

Last edited:

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cap1 and Iron Man 1 are still all time MCU greats; and Thor 1 had better production values than what came after.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
When i saw Iron Man it was clear to me that Marvel was doing things different now.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely not

Iron Man kicked things off well

Captain America TFA is one of the secret best MCU films

Hulk is fun

Thor is a lot of fun.

Iron Man 2 is better than it's remembered to be

HBC_XL

Apr 19, 2018
Vancouver
I would say less "weak" and more "unsure."

If I'm not mistaken, prior to Avengers it wasn't a sure thing that it ould even happen (especially with Iron Man and Hulk). So I'd say "less focused," but I only didn't like Iron Man 2 (that was phase one, right?)

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like the quality of the movies elevated at the same rate as the stakes and the world building, which was pretty great. Going back and rewatching the early movies to see the little clues that tied into what was coming as far as infinity stones.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I like Iron Man and Cap. Thor was pretty decent and I actually liked Hulk. Avengers felt flat to me, ironically, compared to those.

Oct 28, 2017
Answers are far more diverse than I expected.

There is no better movie, in any phase than Iron Man. There are equal movies but none better. Cap 1 is just a hair short of being great but it gets better in hindsight, especially after to watching the entire saga. Thor comes in next, solid watch every time and the best music in the phase. Hulk has its moments as does the weakest link known as Iron Man 2.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Iron Man 1 is a great film.

Captain America and to a lesser degree Iron Man 2 are underrated.

Thor is mostly forgettable.

Hulk is mostly forgotten in the MCU outside of General Ross.

I can understand why some are underwhelmed by the MCU Phase 1 but I think it is a case where the sum is greater than the parts.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
No. But I think it's easy to look back at it now and think this given how much higher the quality became after.

Iron Man and Captain America are great.

Thor and Incredible Hulk are fun/solid.

Avengers just took it all to another level and Marvel Studios wisely stepped their game up with the solo films in reaction to that.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm in the minority of people who found The First Avenger absolutely boring.

Iron Man 1 was great and I enjoyed Thor 1 for the most part but yeah, I think Phase 2 is where it kicked off for me.

Iron Man 1: Fantastic
Hulk: Meh
Iron Man 2: Hated it
Thor: Fun
First Avenger: Meh (better than Hulk though)
Avengers: Great

Phase 3 is definitely the strongest for me with only one real miss (Ant Man and The Wasp). I could watch any of the Phase 3 films over and over again.
I'd disagree about the First Avenger, but everything else you say here rings true to me.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Iron Man - Incredible
The Incredible Hulk- Solid (As a Hulk fan, shame what became of him post Ragnarok)
Iron Man 2 - Alright
Thor - Okay
Captain America - Amazing

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Iron Man, Thor, and the first half of Captain America are fun as hell. I really enjoyed Avengers at the time, but I almost immediately found myself still wanting to revisit the standalones more.

Thor is still probably in my top 3 MCU movies. Something about its tone, Shakespeare-by-numbers family dynamics, breezy (if weightless) romance, and relatively low stakes strike me as infinitely rewatchable; it never ceases to put a smile on my face.

Noog

â–˛ Legend â–˛
May 1, 2018
Phase 1 is special because of its novelty.

Phase 2 is meh except for Winter Soldier and Guardians which are two of the best comic book movies ever. Plus Ant-Man is great.

Phase 3 is consistently great. Phase 3 is the true accomplishment.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really really like Thor 1 and Captain America TFA is still my favorite MCU movie. Both also have amazing and unique soundtracks, something that completely went away with subsequent phases. Phase 1 was magical for me way before Avengers hit.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Iron Man was the best of the bunch. The second movie did nothing but feel like a reminder "We are making an Avengers movie, just hold tight, okay?"

Thor had a simple enough charm to sell the premise, people liked Loki (though weren't infatuated the way Avengers evolved that fandom), and Hemsworth's hotness helped keep eyes on it.

Captain America was very good, but it was only a modest success that worked mostly to prime people further on the Avengers build-up.

Avengers completely sold these characters working together, with the big and small dynamics that came out of that. According to Whedon, the previous Zak Penn script basically had nothing to it. No meat on its bones, none of that character that sells people on that team. Avengers was the promise of dessert that pays off by making you forget about the decent-enough meal preceding it.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
First Avenger is friggin phenomenal. The first Superman movie in a long time. Many good things in IM1 as well. That said, half of phase 1 is bad, and A1 has great beats but spotty action. IM3 raised the bar higher than it for setpiece stuff, and the MCU didn't realize its full potential until Winter Soldier, which is still the peak of the continuity IMO (though Infinity War comes close).

Still one of my favourite scenes in movies just because it just connects. If people don't "get" Captain America, this should help:

Tucci was awesome, Erskine doesn't get enough praise. As well, Silvestri's OST was just rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrridiculously good in this flick. Captain America March was the first standout solo theme in the series since IM3's banger didn't come until afterwards.

Since Winter Soldier though, it's been banger after banger save some of the solo origin movies (Strange, CM, AM1 -- all of which have good spots and their diehard fans).

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017

No. Winter Soldier is better than Civil War and in phase 2. Iron Man 3 is underrated/needlessly shat on because of the Mandarin twist. Ant Man is good fun. And Guardians of the Galaxy rocks.
Yep, IM3, Winter Soldier, Guardians (even though I don't like it) and the hyped return and follow up to Loki made Thor 2 at least desirable to see back in the day. Frankly TDW isn't that much worse than Thor 1 and was more interesting to see what happens to the characters than the original. AoU while not great was fun, and it has... ant man too?

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
Phase 1 definitely suffers from a lot of films that seem to be searching for a style and contains what are arguably the two worst MCU films in Hulk and IM2. Phase 1 felt like a prototype that really didn't take off until the Avengers and then off into Phase 2.

That said, at the time, it was a joy for me to just see really comic accurate interpretations of that core Avengers team. Besides Sam Raimi's Spiderman, comic book movies rarely actually embraced their source material.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
You have to remember that Kevin Feige just wanted to make an Avengers team-up movie a reality back then. Disney acquiring Marvel Entertainment wasn't even considered for the initial plans of Phase 1.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Iron Man 1 and Cap America 1 are great, Phase 1 is good.

Phase 2 might be weaker in average, it was the peak of the Ike Perlmutter intromission, and it kinda shows (great films in there, though, but some really low ones).

Phase 3 is fantastic from beginning to end.

Last edited:

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Iron man 1 is not only a good MCU movie in phase 1 but also just a good movie on it's own. Things got good with/after Winter Soldier I believe.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, Iron Man 1 and Thor 1 were also pretty great imo
4fz15v.jpg

Honestly, it wasn't before Taika Waititi that Thor started become really entertaining. There's a reason "Thor 2: The Dark World" turned into a meme for a dumb option in polls.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Iron Man is one of the best MCU films. Captain America is pretty good. Otherwise, sure.
I hope not. That was the reason why I never bothered with watching more, because I thought that movie was okay. Not bad, but not good enough to watch the sequel.
Well, the rest is on me, since I was not interested in Hulk, Thor or Captain America. I did catch up a few years later up to Avengers 1, which was the first good movie till then. The others were meh or okay at best.

SuperEpicMan

Oct 25, 2017
Id say the films actually get better as time goes on, and many of the issues people had with some of the phase 1 films have kinda become strengths to me. They have done such an incredible job at building the world and history, that kinda elevates their weaker films.

Zorg1000

Banned
Jul 22, 2019
Yes, Iron Man was cool but Iron Man 2, Hulk, Thor and Captain America were all pretty mediocre.

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
Iron Man was great but every other one was forgettable. I wouldn't even characterise them as decent.

Had The Avengers been of that quality I doubt we'd still have the MCU. Whedon deserves a tonne of credit for making people care about these characters.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Never seen Hulk. Just watched the entire rest of the MCU in a row across two weeks and have to say, absolutely not. The other few are great too, not just Avengers.

While I'm at it, I also think Dark World gets a really bad rap for no good reason!