• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which part of FFVII did you like more?

• Midgar, fighting against Shinra.

Votes: 139 34.6%
  • The rest of the world, chasing Sephiroth and learning more about JENOVA.

Votes: 262 65.2%

• Total voters

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Final Fantasy VII has the honor of having what might be one of the longest "prologues" in gaming, with a very linear segment entirely based in the mako-fueled metropolis of Midgar.

ff7midgar.jpg

The opening hours (and by that I mean quite a few hours!) are spent fighting with resistance group AVALANCHE against the mega-conglomerate Shinra Corporation. You spend your time in grimy slums and oppressive reactors, encounter lowlifes and the most destitute members of society, trudge through abandoned trainyards, ride motorcycles down the highway and even crossdress your way into a pimp's mansion. Your group is small and focused, with AVALANCHE later being joined by the flower girl Aerith, who proves to be an instrumental part of slowly unlocking Cloud's tough guy facade.

latest

The rest of the game is different. You're let loose into a much bigger world, a more traditional fantasy world in many aspects. But those opening hours in Midgar were not for no reason; you see their influence everywhere, their mako reactors dotting the land and their conglomerate schemes slowly but surely taking over and changing the lives of people and places across the world. Midgar's grunginess is bleeding into a fantasy landscape, and it's up to you to stop it.

latest

But I ask you, what did you like better? The enclosed, linear, grungy Midgar, with the group fighting against President Shinra and The Turks? Or the more open, but still story-driven, journey across the globe to chase Sephiroth and learn more about the planet? Each part of the game had a distinctly different vibe to it.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
As cool as Midgar is, the rest of the world was far more interesting to me. Can't wait to see some of those later locations in the Remake Part 2+

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
i was more of a fan of the rest of the game, but i liked the 'rebel squad against a dystopian cityscape" aspect of things well enough. in FF7R they have the path to elevating that material really well

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Actually, after you leave Midgar and see the world that is available to you made me go crazy as a kid. I much prefer the chase of Sephiroth than the prologue.

May 15, 2019
Visually it's easily my favorite part of the game, I'm big on cyberpunk visuals and not big on fantasy, but the rest of the game is where the combat starts to get interesting and the bulk of the story and character development happens. None of my favorite FF7 moments are in Midgar.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Hell naw. In fact it's one of my least favorite parts of the game..though what they did with it in the Remake looks very appealing.

greenbird

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar is great, maybe the best individual section of the game, but it can't compare with the entire rest of the journey. There's so many highs and lows, emotional shifts and setting changes post Midgar, and also most of the best music.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
It's my favourite game, but FFVII does pretty much peak with Midgar. It's a fascinating place to explore and a whole lot of atmosphere to breathe in.

Mind you, I am a Blade Runner fanatic, and Midgar always spoke to my inner cyberpunk fanboy, so I'm sure that influences my opinion.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
I liked Midgar ALOT but everything after it is what made me really enjoy FF VII. I really liked visiting Kalm, Nibelheim and Junon looking to forward to seeing them remade......someday.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
It was a slog. I didn't fall in love with the game until it turned into more of a traditional fantasy game

momerath

Oct 27, 2017
Midgar is overrated IMO.

Some of the best parts of the game for me were the quieter bits. Small fringe towns in a world that has moved on from them, like Rocket Town or Corel. That's my jam.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
You got me wanting to play it!

Wait do I have it on steam *checks*

I do! Crisis averted.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
Both. Midgar was pretty cool, and when I first played it, I thought the game only took place in that city until it didn't, at that point I was just amazed that a game could do that. I had never played other jRPGs before that one.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I always liked futuristic cities, but, regardless of that, Midgar was my first experience with an RPG, and has memorable locales, sequences and music that really make it special for me. It's by far the part of the game I'm post nostalgic about. So in that regard, I guess I'm pretty happy that the remake focuses entirely on this chapter (though I'm not completely sold on it yet).

qin

Oct 25, 2017
The best part about Midgar is when you leave and realize there is a lot more to see.

Aug 1, 2018
I loved Midgar and I was so disappointed when I left, haha. There were some other nice areas in the game though, but Midgar was my favorite.

I also played Septerra Core around the same time as my first playthrough of FF7 though, so I got my fill of futuristic slum type environments through that game.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Not really, I prefer the outside world, climbing up the gold saucer, the mystery of the ancient and the calamity of the sky, the hijinks of Junon or Rocket Town and collecting the Weapons. Midgar was too brief to be as enjoyable as the rest. It's not like there's a big gulf in quality in the first act like the tanker of MGS2.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Playing all those mini games in the arcade amusement park in Gold Saucer was the peak.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
No. I hated Midgar. It was by far the most boring part of the game. Every time I think about replaying Final Fantasy VII, I think of the slog through Midgar and change my mind. Being stuck in Midgar for an entire game is the main reason I'm not that interested in Final Fantasy VII Remake Episode I.

nobleredone

Dec 8, 2018
I started losing interest in the game after leaving Midgar, and quit playing altogether before getting to disc 3. I think I preferred the city over the open world

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the only part where the game feels urgent and alive. Like what you do actually matters.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Final Fantasy VII doesn't start until you leave Midgar. Midgar is the prologue and the mind-blowing, "holy shit" moment is when you step out and realize that you were just in a small part of a massive world.

Cyrus_Saren

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Iowa
My favorite segment was getting out of Midgar and realizing that the game was not going be tied strictly to that area. My absolute favorite segment, however, was the extended sequence that happens in Kalm.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
It was the only good part of the game for me. After leaving Midgar it just becomes a bunch of nonsense. Shinra corp as the antagonist with the nature vs machine motif was really awesome imo.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Hell no, Midgar was the boring part, it didn't get good until the Sephiroth flashback where it gave you a proper villain to focus on instead of generic corporation from some Disney movie.
Rufus didn't even become interesting until Advent Children where he became more morally grey & seemed to want to right his wrongs.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Midgar, which is why I'm ok at the cutting off point in Remake. The game goes downhill after that.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I loved that part of the game. Got bored and didn't make it far post Midgar when I tried to do a replay in the PS4 a couple years ago. Though to be fair a lot of it is that this style of JRPGs have aged horribly for me. The new combat system is the main draw to the remake for me.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Kind of yeah. I always felt it was odd and kind of jarring that Midgar was like this one bastion of civilization and major technological development in the world and everywhere else, beyond Golden Saucer, was just kind of some dump, decades or centuries behind. It made the world feel sparse and inconsistent. It was one aspect I really appreciated in VIII which did a much better job of making the whole world feel a bit more developed and consistent from one region to another. While still rather sparse overall with not that many locations it felt a bit more cohesive and consistent through most of the ones that existed.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Nope. There are so many great places after Midgar. Cosmo Canyon, fighting jenova for that sweet theme, Aerith's death, weapons appearing, that world theme mmmmmm, etc.
The best part of Midgar for me are:
1) Bombing run
2) shinra building

edit: my fave world theme

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It was.

I'm so fucking hyped that we are getting one full game in that place. It's gonna be lit.

Hexer

Oct 30, 2017
No way lol. Nothing beats The Golden Saucer. I bet you all just immediately heard the theme song for it pop in your head and now it won't get out. You're welcome! :p

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
For me it was. Not that the rest of the game was noticeably worse but to me midgar section is videogame pacing 101 and few games to this day can even dream of having as good pacing as FFVII first part.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
There are great parts like the Shinra HQ which is flipping fantastic but holy fuck the Wall Market section's fucking atrocious in retrospect. The sense of exploration in the overworld's one of the best parts of the game and the Cosmos Canyon theme's one of the most memorable tracks in gaming for me.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. I was happy to leave the city because I wanted to explore more of the world of FFVII, and I wasn't that fan of such heavy, futuristic scifi elements(even more so than FFIV and FFVI) creeping up on the series at the time.

I haven't played the game in over twenty years, so I wonder how would I feel about Midgar now.