• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Never managed to even play the first temple in the original, but beat the entire game on 3DS in a week, nobody should have to endure the unfixed version, qol changes are too great.

So gonna say random youtube person with no personality is wrong.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never managed to even play the first temple in the original, but beat the entire game on 3DS in a week, nobody should have to endure the unfixed version, qol changes are too great.

So gonna say random youtube person with no personality is wrong.

Even if i liked MM, i would still avoid the 3DS version like a plague because of the constant notebook interruptions. Really the only major improvement MM3D has as far as i can tell is the framerate.

Deleted member 22405

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think the remake fails aesthetically to capture the probably unintentional side effect of how bizarre the N64 made everything texture and draw distance wise.

Even if i liked MM, i would still avoid the 3DS version like a plague because of the constant notebook interruptions. Really the only major improvement MM3D has as far as i can tell is the framerate.

More or less, yeah.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The main points they raise are pretty convincing though. At the very least, the 3DS version changed a few too many things.
I think the remake fails aesthetically to capture the probably unintentional side effect of how bizarre the N64 made everything texture and draw distance wise.

More or less, yeah.
It's kind of the same problem every Shadow of the Colossus remaster/remake has had. Somethings are just intrinsically linked to limitations.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

Right? I keep seeing people talk about these QOL improvements that somehow took the "unplayable" original game and made it playable. I struggle to see what they're even talking about. Is the Ocarina being permanently mapped to a button really some great revelation? Every change outside of the frame rate made the game worse, (Zora swimming) more tedious (annoying ass Bomber Notebook) or at BEST some of the changes are just lateral. Like changing the position of the bank in Clock Town. I just wonder "why?"

Wind Waker HD had some actual legitimate QOL changes. Removing the encore on the Wind's Requiem and the addition of the Swift Sail were huge additions. No such changes came from MM3D because the original was already perfect.

Nana&Popo

May 6, 2018
I played the remake but I just couldn't get through all of it. Majora's Mask is my favorite Zelda game and the remake doesn't do it justice at all. The only change I actually like is the save anywhere thing, that's pretty nice. Everything else just made the game feel worse to play for me. The bombers notebook was especially bad, it breaks the pacing and is just plain annoying.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The remake is way too hand-holdy with the changes to the Song of Double Time and Bomber's Notebook and changes like the Zora swimming are rather unforgivable to me. I'll never play that version over the original in any replay but that's me. Other people have their own preferences and if the "quality of life" changes for the remake make the game playable for them then I'm glad that they get to experience the actual core of the game which are the sidequests/characters which mostly remain unchanged. To me, those "quality of life" changes really just hurt the overall tone for me, the oppressive atmosphere of the game lessened.

Majora's Mask is my favorite game of all time and for a megafan like me, it's a bad remake. For those who had trouble playing the original, it's a pretty good remake probably, that's really more for them to decide but I can see how even the Zora swimming might suit them(to my knowledge it was changed to avoid constantly bumping into stuff while speed swimming). That gets us down to the argument of whether or not a remakes main purpose should be to try to expand the audience or improve upon the original. To me, that depends on the success/reach of the original title and while MM's sales weren't terrible they weren't as high as most other games in the series, due to requiring the rumble pack and coming out right when the hype for new consoles was overshadowing everything else. It's also a game that has been stated by many to stress them out due to the time mechanics, which the new Song of Double Time could help. Audience expansion was probably the right choice, though the changes went too far given Aonuma plays things too safe and seems ashamed of the original in interviews. I also don't think the game can actually be improved upon(outside of technical performance) unless someone like Koizumi is the one directing the remake.

Aesthetic

Nov 6, 2017
Texas, USA
My only issue is how OoT 3D went out of their way to retain everything of the N64 version, (including glitches), but MM 3D went out of their way to change A LOT of things.

Is it a bad remake? No.

Compared to Ocarina of Time's pure remake, it is.

Would have loved an "N64" mode that retained it in its purest form.

Mirage Coordinator

Alt account
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Both OoT and MM 3D are inferior to the originals. The oversaturation and new lighting really compromised much of the atmosphere of the orignal games.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Now hold on a second here. The visuals are definitely not the problem with either remake.

upxkWCL.png

unforgivable!

Originals remain my favorite way to play.