• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Majora's Mask is my favorite Zelda but I've never gotten the 3DS remake because I was afraid of all the changes it made, especially visually. I just put down a couple of bucks on the Wii U version instead (having already bought it on Wii).

OOT 3DS on the other hand I consider the definitive version of the game.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funnily enough, since this topic happened I sold my copies of OoT and MM3D because I figured they'd get ported over to Switch, but mostly because I don't really care for OoT in the first place while I had realized I have no reason to return to the 3DS version of MM since I decided the original version was more in line with what I wanted out of the game.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a bad remake but the original is not good either. So i'm not sure what kind of remake it would take to make Majora's Mask fun to play.

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
It's an overall better game. One that most can finish instead of just a few like with the original

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Just discovered the video. Extremely interesting. I didn't know these changes.

As a first time player I actually wondered why the water jumping controlled so badly in the 3DS version.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Having just finished it in my quest to play through the 3D Zelda games again and/or for the first time, I did not like several of the changes. The Twinmold fight was sooooo bad compared to it on the N64. I was also disappointed with how underused the control options were.

The game does look good though when running it on Citra. Like seriously, it was stunning.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I remember watching this video a while back, expecting to disagree but agreeing on most points. For every good QoL change, a baffling design change made it moot. I prefer the N64 original. 3Ds terrible boss fight changes and crippling of Does Link's swimming makes MM3D tough for me to go back to.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This video is a bit...sensationalist

"Is it fair to ask players to master a mechanic you've forbidden them to use the entire game?"

"The save system was a barrier to some players, so it's great they changed it. But did they have to remove the original one", you just it was great...

"Odalwa has a new fight forced on you whether you like it or not". SUCH FORCED.

"Nintendo nuked the difficulty from orbit" [with optioned Sheikah stones]

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly with changes to the Bosses, completely removing the need to go through the deku maze, moving the rock mask guy to the middle of gerudo palace, removal of fast swimming for Zora (unless you use magic), and more things I can list. This was a VERY bad remake and it makes me sad because Majoras Mask (N64) is my favorite game of all time.

I really want Nintendo to come back and remake this game themselves.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017

I agree with pretty much everything in the video. The changes to the bosses and mask transformations are especially egregious IMO.

It's such a shame that MM3D ended up the way it did. It should have been the definitive way to play the game like OoT3D was for OoT.

I had no idea they butchered the game. Il stick with my gamecube copies of the n64 zeldas. Including master quest!

Oct 26, 2017
The idea that Aonuma was embarrassed of his work and that being the reason why meddling with Majora's Mask 3D and making changes "it didn't need to make" is a very tough premise to operate from. Primarily because Aonuma's interviews only shed light about a certain element of development, we still don't know and will never know the full story of the development that happened during Majora's Mask in the N64 era. Unless you can prove authorial intent that Aonuma was actually embarrassed and not what your gut instinct tells you, it's a flawed premise and an impossible argument to make.

He starts off the argument with a very flawed interpretation of Deku Link's movement. Before I get into it, I will just let GameXplain do it since they cover the actual mechanic and what has changed.

So the speed changes comes down to the way the spin and momentum was changed rather than being a symptom of level design. If I were to guess, realism was the issue as it doesn't really make sense to spin and then suddenly cut the animation into a jump with a ton of speed. The argument about Zora swimming is very disingenuous. Yes, it comes at the cost of magic, but at the same time, there are ways to circumvent the magic cost and still get your zora swimming. And yet, there's no mention of that anywhere in order to force a specific kind of agenda (this is the same for the difficulty argument, where the video refuses to mention that the rate of time was much more quicker in the 3DS remake, than it was on the N64, making planning for events and judging how many things you can do in one 3-day cycle, much more difficult even with the Song of Double Time).

Odolwa is a strange one, because a lot of arguments online is that the new version is bad because of weakpoints, but everyone seems to ignore that Odolwa's hitbox being a massive weakpoint that you can spam A to attack mindless for a period of time is almost equally as bad (even worse is Odolwa's hitbox in the original game is egregious, if his sword even so much as waves in the air and slightly touches you, you're taking damage). To me, neither is better than the other and both come in with their fair share of flaws. The same for the Twinmold fight, I appreciate that they gave you something different as opposed to being a boring boss fight where you whack your sword x-times. One wasn't better than the other, both had their problems.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
I watched this vid recently, I kinda agree on some points. It's great they put the game back out, but some of the changes are stupid. Like the swimming, or making things too easy, like the Ikana Miniboss thing.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
The idea that Aonuma was embarrassed of his work and that being the reason why meddling with Majora's Mask 3D and making changes "it didn't need to make" is a very tough premise to operate from. Primarily because Aonuma's interviews only shed light about a certain element of development, we still don't know and will never know the full story of the development that happened during Majora's Mask in the N64 era. Unless you can prove authorial intent that Aonuma was actually embarrassed and not what your gut instinct tells you, it's a flawed premise and an impossible argument to make.

He starts off the argument with a very flawed interpretation of Deku Link's movement. Before I get into it, I will just let GameXplain do it since they cover the actual mechanic and what has changed.

So the speed changes comes down to the way the spin and momentum was changed rather than being a symptom of level design. If I were to guess, realism was the issue as it doesn't really make sense to spin and then suddenly cut the animation into a jump with a ton of speed. The argument about Zora swimming is very disingenuous. Yes, it comes at the cost of magic, but at the same time, there are ways to circumvent the magic cost and still get your zora swimming. And yet, there's no mention of that anywhere in order to force a specific kind of agenda (this is the same for the difficulty argument, where the video refuses to mention that the rate of time was much more quicker in the 3DS remake, than it was on the N64, making planning for events and judging how many things you can do in one 3-day cycle, much more difficult even with the Song of Double Time).

Odolwa is a strange one, because a lot of arguments online is that the new version is bad because of weakpoints, but everyone seems to ignore that Odolwa's hitbox being a massive weakpoint that you can spam A to attack mindless for a period of time is almost equally as bad (even worse is Odolwa's hitbox in the original game is egregious, if his sword even so much as waves in the air and slightly touches you, you're taking damage). To me, neither is better than the other and both come in with their fair share of flaws. The same for the Twinmold fight, I appreciate that they gave you something different as opposed to being a boring boss fight where you whack your sword x-times. One wasn't better than the other, both had their problems.

Completely agree with you.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I was sad that they didn't add an option for stopping the time mechanic.

I understand why people want this but it would make the game so much less engaging to play IMO. The sense of dread and urgency you feel while playing MM is unlike anything else in the Zelda series.

If anyone here is interested in an in-depth review of the original game from a modern perspective, check out this video by Matthewmatosis:

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
They didn't butcher it though. Butchered is something like the Silent Hill 2 + 3 collection.
Id say this was butchered more than silent hill. At least in silent hill the core gameplay is intact. Only really graphical issues. This has had major changes to gameplay systems that make the game less fun to play or dumbed down. I mean, swimming with the zora mask was amazing in the original, it looks horrible in this.

You are wrong.

Nerrel

Oct 31, 2017
I read probably every interview Aonuma did on the game to make sure I was being fair and it's hard to come to any other conclusion. He mentioned not wanting to do a remake because there would be a massive number of things that would need to be fixed, and even had to make a list of hundreds of things that made him say "what in the world" when replaying it because they struck him as being so bad:
40150660363_98f8c5b40c_b.jpg

Looking at excerpts like this, I don't even consider it speculation to say he was a little embarrassed by the original since he was literally apologizing for it regularly during development :
Confessions? (laughs)
Aonuma
I wrote in a bunch of comments on where I thought things weren't good. Like, "I'm sorry that this comes from the one that made it this way, but..."
Ooiwa
That was on the top of every list.
Aonuma
And "At the time, I think there was something wrong with me..."
Ooiwa
He said something similar every time we had a meeting! (laughs)
Yamamura
"What in the world" was something that he said all the time! (laughs)
Aonuma
Every time a "what in the world" came up, I always apologized and made excuses on why I did what I did at the time. I was probably able to do that because I thoroughly replayed the game first, and that I had a clear idea on what needed to be accomplished.
Iwata
You were able to see a clear direction on how to create it for the Nintendo 3DS.
Aonuma
That's correct, but the sheer amount was astounding. Of course, at the time I must have been keeping an eye on everything, so I thought to myself why were there so many things that I wanted to fix.
Iwata
I also have a lot of things that I made in the past where I would do things differently if I had the chance! (laughs)
Aonuma
But I have so many! It's a lot! (laughs)"

Aonuma is a great developer and I don't mean to imply otherwise, but the game definitely came from a place of this "this is not good enough and we have to fix it." I think that was important to include since it gives context to nearly every big alteration in the 3D version.

So the speed changes comes down to the way the spin and momentum was changed rather than being a symptom of level design. If I were to guess, realism was the issue as it doesn't really make sense to spin and then suddenly cut the animation into a jump with a ton of speed.

A lot of people have complained that the Deku change was misrepresented or that it doesn't even exist- there are hundreds of comments saying that spin hopping is the same on 3DS, and as GameXplain mentioned in that video they had the same thing happen to them when they initially showed the change; people accused them of just doing it wrong. I'm not sure why this is a controversial thing...

I pointed out how the change works in the video- it is not a spin hopping nerf and doesn't seem to be directly related to the spin itself. Link's walking acceleration was lowered, and as a result he can't build momentum fast enough to reach many pads even when running normally. This becomes a level design problem because if they wanted this new, slower mechanic they also needed to adjust the environments to suit it.

The spin hopping still works in the 3D version when you run at absolute full speed, so it's not like they removed it because it was unrealistic or a "glitch." It just seems to be mostly broken due to deku Link's overall acceleration taking longer. I never considered the spin hopping to be a glitch or an unnatural thing anyway- Link gets a small boost when rolling normally and the deku spin gives a big speed boost on land. It only makes sense that you'd get a similar boost when spinning onto water.

The argument about Zora swimming is very disingenuous. Yes, it comes at the cost of magic, but at the same time, there are ways to circumvent the magic cost and still get your zora swimming. And yet, there's no mention of that anywhere in order to force a specific kind of agenda (this is the same for the difficulty argument, where the video refuses to mention that the rate of time was much more quicker in the 3DS remake, than it was on the N64, making planning for events and judging how many things you can do in one 3-day cycle, much more difficult even with the Song of Double Time).

I don't think there is a good solution to the swimming. First of all, 3D Zora link doesn't handle the same way even when swimming at full speed with magic- he's more fidgety and turns more sharply, so getting the smoother original controls isn't possible no matter what you do. The magic shield also gets pretty irritating after a while.

Chateau romani requires you to have romani's mask, the first wallet upgrade, and to waste the first day of the cycle and spend 200 rupees. That's a fairly big hassle that leaves you with substantially less time to accomplish what you need to. After using it, everything will be unbalanced since you'll have infinite magic even when not swimming, which could make sections involving the ice arrows even more trivial than they already are.

The solution I tried on my second playthrough was to grab a few green potions before going to the bay. The problem with that one is that you need your empty bottles more than ever at that specific point and you'll burn through the potions pretty fast if you want to swim constantly just like in the original.

I think saying the slightly faster passage of time makes things "much more difficult" is a little bit of a stretch. You still have a generous amount of time to do everything with the inverted song of time, and I never really noticed the difference even though I knew it was there. It would be very hard to argue that the game was not made easier overall.

This video is a bit...sensationalist

"Is it fair to ask players to master a mechanic you've forbidden them to use the entire game?"

"The save system was a barrier to some players, so it's great they changed it. But did they have to remove the original one", you just it was great...

"Odalwa has a new fight forced on you whether you like it or not". SUCH FORCED.

"Nintendo nuked the difficulty from orbit" [with optioned Sheikah stones]

What's wrong with that first point? They put in a new segment that requires you to really know how to Zora jump while simultaneously severely limiting your ability to practice and learn to use it.

It's great that they provided a simpler saving option for people who didn't like the original system, it's not great for players who actually prefer the original. Was there a single good reason to remove it as an option?

I'm not sure what you're objecting to with Odolwa. He won't respond to your attacks in the remake unless you fight him the new way, you are unarguably forced to use it. This is what being forced to fight a certain way looks like:
47115871911_cbf9fd1b2a_o.gif

There was an entire section of the video devoted to difficulty nerfs and it would take some real truth twisting to say that the only nerf was an optional hint system. I wasn't even objecting to those stones being in the game, the point is that the game already had a hint system in place and it still went out of its way to provide two more while lowering the difficulty of segments all over the place. They seemed really worried that the game wouldn't be accepted by a modern audience.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

GameXplain's video isn't really a defence, he just highlights what's changed and even admits it's for the worse because running in a circle on each lilypad to build momentum is just not really feasible.

Calling the argument about Zora swimming disingenuous doesn't really seem worthwhile either, because he's not the only one complaining about it. Whatever adjustments have been made to "circumvent" the new restrictions, no one seems convinced or satisfied it was worth the tradeoff.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprised that people didn't like it. I thought it was phenomenal.
It's a cult classic game, I can understand why people look at changes (whether large or small) as ruining the whole experience.

I never got super into MM on N64 (rented it and played some late game saves of other people for a while, only got to the first dungeon on a personal playthrough back then), and I thought the 3DS version was great.

None of the changes effect what I feel like is the strongest experience of the game, which is its time looping and side quests. And those aspects are even better in the 3DS version due to the notebook improvements.

Jan 2, 2018
Sorry for not opening a different thread,but as someone who has never played the game and really wants to now that the game joined the Nintendo Selects line-up but reading all this..really,which version should I go for as a first timer? I have a Wii U and a N2DSXL.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Sorry for not opening a different thread,but as someone who has never played the game and really wants to now that the game joined the Nintendo Selects line-up but reading all this..really,which version should I go for as a first timer? I have a Wii U and a N2DSXL.

It's worth trying the original if you can handle 64 era visuals. That best represents the original vision for the game imo and is my preferred way of playing.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I didn't particularly care for many of the changes, but the only ones that truly bothered me were the Zora swimming change and the revamped Zora dungeon on the moon. That section was the most pointlessly frustrating shit I can remember from a Zelda game. Just awful, and made all the worse by the swimming control change.

I really enjoyed the new fishing holes though. Wish there was more of that in the series tbh.

Oct 26, 2017
I read probably every interview Aonuma did on the game to make sure I was being fair and it's hard to come to any other conclusion. He mentioned not wanting to do a remake because there would be a massive number of things that would need to be fixed, and even had to make a list of hundreds of things that made him say "what in the world" when replaying it because they struck him as being so bad:

Looking at excerpts like this, I don't even consider it speculation to say he was a little embarrassed by the original since he was literally apologizing for it regularly during development :
Confessions? (laughs)
Aonuma
I wrote in a bunch of comments on where I thought things weren't good. Like, "I'm sorry that this comes from the one that made it this way, but..."
Ooiwa
That was on the top of every list.
Aonuma
And "At the time, I think there was something wrong with me..."
Ooiwa
He said something similar every time we had a meeting! (laughs)
Yamamura
"What in the world" was something that he said all the time! (laughs)
Aonuma
Every time a "what in the world" came up, I always apologized and made excuses on why I did what I did at the time. I was probably able to do that because I thoroughly replayed the game first, and that I had a clear idea on what needed to be accomplished.
Iwata
You were able to see a clear direction on how to create it for the Nintendo 3DS.
Aonuma
That's correct, but the sheer amount was astounding. Of course, at the time I must have been keeping an eye on everything, so I thought to myself why were there so many things that I wanted to fix.
Iwata
I also have a lot of things that I made in the past where I would do things differently if I had the chance! (laughs)
Aonuma
But I have so many! It's a lot! (laughs)"

Aonuma is a great developer and I don't mean to imply otherwise, but the game definitely came from a place of this "this is not good enough and we have to fix it." I think that was important to include since it gives context to nearly every big alteration in the 3D version.

I'm not really concerned about how people view Aonuma but the problem is you could reach many conclusions from the interviews you mentioned. For one, Aonuma questioning what he was thinking might pertain to him realizing that standards has changed from the 1990s to 2014 (well 2012 if we consider OOT3D's finished development and the beginning of MM3D). Let's not forget, Majora's Mask only had about a year of development time, so maybe he sees these elements as being undercooked or requiring more polish as opposed to being a matter of embarrassment. There's nothing in the interviews that makes me think that Aonuma had such strong feelings about MM so as to be called embarrassed by the effort. That's why it's hard for me to buy that argument without such clear authorial intent being demonstrated.

I don't think there is a good solution to the swimming. First of all, 3D Zora link doesn't handle the same way even when swimming at full speed with magic- he's more fidgety and turns more sharply, so getting the smoother original controls isn't possible no matter what you do. The magic shield also gets pretty irritating after a while.

Chateau romani requires you to have romani's mask, the first wallet upgrade, and to waste the first day of the cycle and spend 200 rupees. That's a fairly big hassle that leaves you with substantially less time to accomplish what you need to. After using it, everything will be unbalanced since you'll have infinite magic even when not swimming, which could make sections involving the ice arrows even more trivial than they already are.

The solution I tried on my second playthrough was to grab a few green potions before going to the bay. The problem with that one is that you need your empty bottles more than ever at that specific point and you'll burn through the potions pretty fast if you want to swim constantly just like in the original.

I think saying the slightly faster passage of time makes things "much more difficult" is a little bit of a stretch. You still have a generous amount of time to do everything with the inverted song of time, and I never really noticed the difference even though I knew it was there. It would be very hard to argue that the game was not made easier overall.

That's a fair point. I didn't see it as a major issue in my playthrough because I had already gotten the elements out of the Romani Ranch sidequest before tackling Great Bay, and I had a hard enough time with the new version of Gyorg that unlimited magic didn't seem to make a difference to the point of trivializing the game for me (at that point, once I beat New-Gyorg, I was not too long away from having to use the Song of Time to re-enter the 1st Day). In terms of the animation as a whole, I didn't really feel too peeved about it so I'm sure I'm in the minority.

I guess the rate of time after Inverted Song being changed was a sticking point for me to get used to. I remember using the extra time in the N64 version to plan out a sidequest or two + dungeon (provided that I had everything else that allowed me to tackle the dungeon), whereas in the 3DS version, time felt and was much quicker to the point where I almost ran out of time trying to solve the Great Bay and Stone Tower Temples. Maybe there was an issue with the way I managed time, but it didn't feel as comfortable to use the time in the 3DS version compared to N64.

GameXplain's video isn't really a defence, he just highlights what's changed and even admits it's for the worse because running in a circle on each lilypad to build momentum is just not really feasible.

Calling the argument about Zora swimming disingenuous doesn't really seem worthwhile either, because he's not the only one complaining about it. Whatever adjustments have been made to "circumvent" the new restrictions, no one seems convinced or satisfied it was worth the tradeoff.

I wasn't using it as a defense of the changed mechanics, I was using it to show that there was a slight tweak to how momentum carried over in animation (after all, it wouldn't make sense that you can cut the spin animation into a jump and still keep the same speed, whereas in 3D, the momentum carries over when the animation finishes) from the N64 to the 3DS version.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Access to a game always makes any port the best port.

Let's not pretend that Majora's Mask was some lost gem like Earthbound where before it's re-release there was no way to play it legally without shelling out hundreds of dollars on an original cart. The N64 version already had 3 re-releases (GCN, Wii & Wii U) by the time the 3DS version came out, and while the Wii VC release is no longer obtainable by legal means the Wii U VC release is still readily available and the N64 and GCN versions are still very easy to find at any used game store along with online stores like eBay and Amazon. Besides, with all the changes to the game, it's hard to say that MM3DS is the same game as MMN64.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England

The 3DS version is better if you've never played any version.

The niggles people mention will have little to no impact on you since you're not familiar with the original.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so.

The only change I didn't like was the change to Zora swimming. However, it did make the temple easier less annoying. So I can't really complain.

I need it and OOT to fucking come out on Switch so I can play them again on TV already.

giraffereyn

Banned
Jan 20, 2019
Let's not pretend that Majora's Mask was some lost gem like Earthbound where before it's re-release there was no way to play it legally without shelling out hundreds of dollars on an original cart. The N64 version already had 3 re-releases (GCN, Wii & Wii U) by the time the 3DS version came out, and while the Wii VC release is no longer obtainable by legal means the Wii U VC release is still readily available and the N64 and GCN versions are still very easy to find at any used game store along with online stores like eBay and Amazon. Besides, with all the changes to the game, it's hard to say that MM3DS is the same game as MMN64.
lol thanks for making my point? Whatever you can reach to that can play a game is always the best version

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
lol thanks for making my point? Whatever you can reach to that can play a game is always the best version

Your point was "we should be thankful that this simply exists because it means more people can play this game"
My point is that "there was no real issue with accessibility regarding this game, and therefore shouldn't be used to excuse the clear problems with the 3DS version."

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

So the speed changes comes down to the way the spin and momentum was changed rather than being a symptom of level design. If I were to guess, realism was the issue as it doesn't really make sense to spin and then suddenly cut the animation into a jump with a ton of speed.

You might need to watch that part again. The video creator doesn't say it's a symptom of the level design. He says the original level design is clearly not built for the changes to the spinning mechanic... Which it isn't, as seen with how the "workaround" both he and the Gamexplain video came to with running in a circle first.

I don't see why "realism" is a particularly good defense when A. You're a walking plant that can skip on water and B. The realism noticeably hinders the player movement and experience from the original game.

giraffereyn

Banned
Jan 20, 2019
Your point was "we should be thankful that this simply exists because it means more people can play this game"
My point is that "there was no real issue with accessibility regarding this game, and therefore shouldn't be used to excuse the clear problems with the 3DS version."
I should have just straight said that the issues with the 3DS version aren't big enough to ignore it for any other version. I still think just reaching out for any version is the right way to go.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I prefer Ocarina of Time N64 over the remake, and going by this video I'd prefer Majora's Mask N64 (never played). Hopefully Switch gets N64 games so I can try out the original Majora's.