• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Armite

Mar 30, 2018
She's the only one that left any kind of impression on me, really. Good for Pokémon at least.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
SM Lusamine is very visceral, but also very one note and kinda nonsensical. But her dynamic with her children makes her really stand.

USM Lusamine is fundamentally different, and realistically speaking defanged, but far more sensible a character with a real arc

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Wish GF would've gone the full way and made you fight her UB form, rather than just being a normal pokemon battle.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I've heard her villainous behavior was neutered significantly in USUM, but I haven't made it past the second trial in UM (got really bored with how similar it was to Sun), so I can't really speak to whether that's true or not.

In Sun, she's despicable. One of the first villains who I felt really earned her villainous status in the series. Her evil affected both of her children, as well as the innumerable Pokemon used by the Aether Foundation. Gladion and Lillie are by no means supremely well written characters, but there is a distressing degree of believability regarding the abuse Lusamine inflicted on her children.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Best thing about Lusamine is the complete 180 they did with her portrayal in the anime:

tumblr_oxdniqv0vz1qioqevo1_500.gif

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
In Su/Mo, yes, at least in the sense that she provided good motivation for the player to stop her. Her evil is pretty repulsive and directly affects characters close to the player in the story, and the way she expressed her obsessions made it clear why the player needed to stop her. She is pretty single-minded and outlandish, but she still works rather well as a Pokemon villain (though not quite as good overall as N and Ghetsis were in B/W).

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that you didn't actually fight the transformed Lusamine directly after you defeated her last Pokemon completely ruined the entire impact of that story. I was already worried when she threw a Pokeball in the first place. It was so good up to that point, too.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
True, but then you walk into her room and she has a collection of frozen Pokemon on display like a bond villain.

Could be worse, like Lysandre, that no one even remembers what he actually wanted or any of his character quirks...

Hope one day Gamefreak writes better characters, most are forgettable trash.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
She was a bad villain in Ultra Moon, but based on what folks said she was even worse in Sun/Moon lol

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
No. She had potential but was utilized in the cheapest, least interesting way possible which seems to be GameFreak's MO when it comes to all stories. I still think Pokemon has never had a good story and the more effort they put into it the worse the franchise gets. Black/White did not have good narratives. They had "Good for Pokemon" narratives, which is to say still scraping the bottom of the barrel in context of all narratives.

Sun/Moon was executed so poorly on such a grand scale story-wise that it would take severe re-writing to make anything good of it.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
You guys docking her for being too obvious, there isn't a single bad guy in this series that isn't obvious.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
She was a notch above what I expect out of pokemon villains. Or character relationships in pokemon games at all, honestly. Her dressing her daughter to resemble one of the Ultra Beasts which she really cared for and Lillie emancipating herself by picking her own clothing was a neat way to tell a basic story.

ChaserX

Nov 1, 2017
Miami, FL
I liked Guzma more for being the relatively sane one in all of the Ultra Beast BS. Always was a good time whenever he showed up on screen.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Didn't her husband escape into an alternate dimension and abandon his family to get away from her?

No, he disappeared while experimenting on the Ultra Beasts, hence why Lusamine got obsessed with them. She tried her best to bring him back.
However, while doing so she lost track of the original goal and thus started to become the person she was in the game.

Also, while not explicitly said, I believe that the guy in charge of the Poképelago is her lost husband. The fact that he remembers nothing of his time before getting there only supports this theory in my eyes.

Corrie1960

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
To bad we will never see Team Skull with Galarian Zigzacoon (spelt his name wrong) they were born to team up

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
No, he disappeared while experimenting on the Ultra Beasts, hence why Lusamine got obsessed with them. She tried her best to bring him back.
However, while doing so she lost track of the original goal and thus started to become the person she was in the game.

Also, while not explicitly said, I believe that the guy in charge of the Poképelago is her lost husband. The fact that he remembers nothing of his time before getting there only supports this theory in my eyes.
It was explicitly confirmed in USUM and there's an extra cutscene where she finds out about him

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I "liked" how mean she was to her children in SM, it really showed how far gone she was. The way they toned it down in Ultra really removed any bite she had.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Pokémon's best villain is Giovanni, but Sun & Moon Lusamine is second.

Ultra Sun & Moon Lusamine is awful beyond reproach. Can't get over how bad they butchered Sun & Moon's story.

I will gladly die on both of these hills.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I love Lusamine. Awakened some interesting feelings in me as well.

Still disappointed we didn't fight her monster form at the end. I never felt so blueballed.