• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm probably one of the few people who actually liked the second half of series/manga just as much as the first. But him cackling like a maniac, announcing that he is Kira, breaking down the way the did, I'm just not sure. He's always been stated to be a child but I just don't know. It's fun and over the top and I still love it, but is it really Light?

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. He's always been an egomaniac who thought he was a God. And when he finally thought he had managed to get away with everything he broke down years of acting.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Consistent with his normal high school behavior? Probably not. But it was how he always thought of himself since the beginning. Him "saving" the world finally let him leave that cool, calculated facade behind.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
Yup, that's what I always imagine he would do when he's inevitably owned in his own game. The second half of the manga is such a slog to read through, but the ending kinda makes up for it.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The whole point of Light was that he wasn't actually as smart as he believed himself to be, the whole series is just a build up to his unraveling as he manages to blow the biggest lead of the century. That he fashioned himself to be a god(even though the death note is not a power inherent to him and it does not provide him any powers other than being able to see shinigamis. On top of that, the Shinigamis were clear that it as all just entertainment to them, so its thematically appropriate that Light goes down in a manical blaze of unglory.

It was the perfect death. Dude acted like a smug asshole that could always worm himself out of everything throughout the whole show and in the end, when he's in a corner without his magic book or crazed fans to help him he was a sniveling wreck that failed at playing God. His killer being the one person that fell for his niceboy act was great, too.

Last edited:

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm probably one of the few people who actually liked the second half of series/manga just as much as the first. But him cackling like a maniac, announcing that he is Kira, breaking down the way the did, I'm just not sure. He's always been stated to be a child but I just don't know. It's fun and over the top and I still love it, but is it really Light?

It's 100 % Light.

He's a drama queen.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
I loved Light such an entertaining piece of shit. He was a complete narcissist, so it makes that he would break down the moment his cover was blown. His last moment of control over people which he desired so much.

Oct 8, 2019
He thought that he was a god because he was a popular high school student with good grades, he was a delusional narcissist who thought that because he had a magic notebook he could decide who lives or dies. Near said it best Light was just a crazy mass murderer who killed because he thought he was better than everyone else. When confronted with death he whines about how doesnt want to die or go to jail, he did all this just because he thought he would get away with it, and when he couldnt he died a pathetic death.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, like others said he was an utterly delusional egomaniac who thought himself infallible. He thought he was above all others (a God) and couldn't accept being beat at his own game, which is hilarious because he made the most foolish mistakes possible. He had a very fitting end.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, like others said he was an utterly delusional egomaniac who thought himself infallible. He thought he was above all others (a God) and couldn't accept being beat at his own game, which is hilarious because he made the most foolish mistakes possible. He had a very fitting end.

Some of his decisions near the the end also felt out of character to me. His blatant relationship with Takada in front of the investigation team seemed rather foolish, and announcing his victory the way he did even if it seemed assured.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
The whole point of Light was that he wasn't actually as smart as he believed himself to be, the whole series is just a build up to his unraveling as he manages to blow the biggest lead of the century. That he fashioned himself to be a god(even though the death note is not a power inherent to him and it does not provide him any powers other than being able to see shinigamis. On top of that, the Shinigamis were clear that it as all just entertainment to them, so its thematically appropriate that Light goes down in a manical blaze of unglory.

duuuuuuuuuude that link. unreal.

Nov 29, 2018
Yeah, he wants people to know he exists and what he's doing. He literally has the power to kill indiscriminately at any time, anywhere, and in any feasible manner, but instead acts in such ways as to reveal his methods and whereabouts almost pathologically. He's like a little kid who thinks he can beat everyone at a game he invented then starts crying as soon as he knows he's lost.

Spinluck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Light's meltdown was incredible. What a dumbass. He didn't get where he was being smart. He got there being a straight up psychopath.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As others have said Light was always a narcissistical egomaniac with an inflated opinion of himself. All having the death note really did was provide a means to act on those impulses in the most destructive way possible and feed those impulses and worsen them into a full on god complex. The fact that he'd break down when he loses control and shit comes crashing down was inevitable, because he never at any point stops to consider he could actually fail, or that he was doing anything wrong because in his mind he's perfect.

Realistically even if Light never got the death note he'd just have ended up being a politician or something similar with a relatively clean public image on the surface until a scandal emerges because he beats his wife and abuses his subordinates because Light always saw others as inferior to him

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
The thing with Light is that his worst aspects--God complex, arrogance, feelings of superiority over everyone else--got much worse after he barely defeated L. Thing is, L was always working from behind at a disadvantage against Light yet L still was nearly able to catch Light. Light had a huge advantage and L working under a huge handicap and yet Light still almost lost. That right there should have told Light he wasn't always the smartest person in the room.

Last edited:

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
The thing with Light is that his worst aspects--God complex, arrogance, feelings of superiority over everyone else--got much worse after he barely defeated L. Thing is, L was always working from behind at a disadvantage against Light yet L still was nearly able to catch Light. Light had a huge advantage and L working under a huge handicap and yet Ligh still almost lost. That right there should have told Light he wasn't always the smartest person in the room.
Then again, think of it like the psychopathic narcissist that Light was: he just arranged it so that the "smartest person in the room", as far as he was concerned, died. Light cannot see the forest for the trees.

As for the OPs question, yes absolutely consistent, as others have said. Light was a child.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
From what I remember (it's been almost a decade I think), Light does an okay-ish grey character job that you can be like, iffy about, until he screws up and straight up kills an innocent person. Then it's just like, oh okay this dude is a total psycho and it's a 4/5ths airing wait for him to just fail already.

Sayuz

Apr 29, 2019
The answer is yes, and no.

Yes, because it is consistent with Light's character earlier in the series. We see when he feels pressured or boxed in he lashes out (like when he kills Kind L. Taylor) or has a lapse in composure (like when L reveals himself to him).

So, viewed from this angle, it's perfectly consistent with his character to act the way. The trouble is that the Light of the finale isn't the Light from the start of the series. Even midway through we see his behavior changing, as he learns to handle these tight situations. For example, when he expects Rem to kill L or Misa to see his name with her shinigami eyes, L sidesteps the situation and takes Misa into custody, not only destroying Light's plans and putting himself further in L's crosshairs, but he also ends up in Rem's crosshairs, too, as she threatens to kill Light should anything happen to Misa.

But even with the pressure coming in from two sides, Light doesn't panic, but instead quickly formulates a plan that allows him to ultimately come out victorious over both L and Rem. Light is also a good bullshitter, and is able to string people along fairly well, even while they're suspicious of him. If he hasn't lost his cool, he could probably have kept talking just long enough to subtly write down Near's name in the Death Note, which would possibly allow him to escape in the brief moment if confusion and chaos when Near dies. Even in the actual ending, Near is momentarily concerned that Light has something up his sleeve when he poses the question about which Death Notes are the real ones. I think that if he acted less rashly he could have planted enough doubt (at least in the mind of the Task Force) to buy himself time to pull out a Hail Mary, which would have been moee consistent with the quick thinking Light who defeated L.

We also have to remember that Light of the finale is 23 years old, and not the 17 year old kid who only had the Death Note for weeks or months when he acted rashly in those earlier instances. Of course, the counter argument is that Light simply got too arrogant and got sloppy over time, or that he simply reverted back to a more childish state upon being outwitted, but the trouble with these arguments is they don't make as satisfying an ending. I mean, when you can accurately sum it up as "Light got dumber, then lost", it doesn't feel like a very grand conclusion to what came before.

This is really just the fault of the last part of Death Note being sloppier than what came before though. Another example of this is how it sets up the idea that we'll be seeing a three way battle between Light, Near, and Mello, with each side out to get the other two. Mello in particular seems like he'll be an interesting character, because while he wishes to surpass L and catch Kira, he has no issue attack Near and harming or killing innocent people to get his way. He lacks both the morality and sense of justice of both Kira or L, which means be could be potentially both better or worse than Light depending on the scenario.

What we get initially is a pretty bad guy who's more of a threat to both parties than either are to each other. He works for canonically the most evil character in the series (Rod Ross) simply because it benefits him to do so, he kidnaps and traumatizes an innocent civilian (Light's sister Sayu) in order to threaten her life to force Light to hand over the Death Note (which he does, meaning if anything Light's family is probably his biggest weakness, even over any arrogance), and then once he gets a hold of the Death Note he uses it to kill all if Near's team. In the manga he goes even further, causing the president to commit suicide when he threatens to control him with the Death Note in order to start a nuclear war, in order to try to blackmail him into giving him all the info on Near (who was being sponsored by the United States). And then after all this, he kills Light's dad in a rash bombing which scars himself in the process when they try to retake the Death Note back.

So wow, this Mello character is pretty crazy. He's probably more dangerous than Kira, since he wants to win at all costs, everything else be damned. I can't wait to see what happens to him! Wait, what do you mean he disappears for the rest of the series until he shows up right before the end so he can die in order for Near to win, just so we can have a less interesting rehash of L vs. Light with Near as an L stand-in?

Anyway, my point is that yeah, the second half of the series is just not as well plotted out or written than what comes before. A lot of the inconsistencies one may have with Light (or any other character) by the end can partially be chalked up to that.

Lastly, I'd like to dispel this notion that Light wasn't as smart as he thought he was. Light is ranked by the author of Death Note as being 10/10 in emotional strength, social skills, and creativity, and has a 9/10 in knowledge. L in comparison has 1/10 in social skills, 10/10 in emotional strength and creativity, but only a 8/10 in knowledge. The only area L beats Light is in initiative, where he has a 9/10 in contrast to Light's 8/10.

If anything, they're very evenly matched, but Light's superior social skills and greater knowledge probably put him out on top more often than not. L is definitely more experienced than Light, but Light probably had the potential to surpass him, which, I think if you consider he defeated him, he did. (And yeah, yeah, "But Light had unfair advantages, like the Death Note and Rem!", yes, but L had unfair advantages like unlimited finances and authority and a name that was near impossible to learn, so it's a wash.)

Plus, the author even stated that if Light never picked up the Death Note he would have gone on to become one of the greatest police leaders in the world, and would have eventually worked with L, so like... It's hard to argue he wasn't as smart as he thought. If anything, he was arrogant because he was as smart as he thought. Not the other way around.

Anyway, tl;dr: Light's behavior at the end is fairly consistent with his early characterization, but more inconsistent with his behavior and levelheadedness displayed later on. This change in behavior is probably due to less than stellar writing, but you can handwave it as saying he got too arrogant or lazy, or whatever you need to to make to work, even if canonically he's still supposed to be super, super smart. Except in the live action TV drama. That version of Light is definitely a normal dude who gets outsmarted by L every which way so bad that it's pretty sad in the end.

Plover

Oct 27, 2017
It was incredible, cathartic, and much better in the manga than the anime because there's no cop out where he escapes the warehouse. For anyone who hasn't read it: he clutches at Ryuk and begs him to kill the officers, and as Ryuk writes his name down instead he screams he doesn't want to die. Awesome.

Last edited:

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
dude was desperate x 1,000

Plus, he carried the guilt of murdering his own family.
Once you cross that line, you're a complete psychopath and will probably act out as such when the time is up...

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
It was incredible, cathartic, and much better in the manga than the anime because there's no cop out where he escapes the warehouse. For anyone who hasn't read it: he clutches at Ryuk and begs him to kill the officers, and as Ryuk writes his name down instead he screams he doesn't want to die. Awesome.

yeah the anime ending was so dumb, letting him having a peaceful ending like we must show him respect or some shit

Oct 25, 2017
The mental breakdown in that finale ranks as one of my favorite endings in any media. It's so perfectly animated and raw. The satisfaction of seeing his reserved and intellectual shell utterly shatter into pieces is unmatched and is something I return to semi-regularly just to admire the artistry behind it.

Aegus

Oct 29, 2017
Always thought his dumbest move was to use police info.

I can't remember but did his killings even make a difference? Crime still seemed to be happening.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
I much prefer the manga ending to the anime

What's the difference?

I disliked the anime ending as he lost, which I think was annoying, due to the fact that the antagonist was lesser than L that season. Wanted a more interesting take than "the bad guy loses cause of a stupid reason", especially for such a smart series.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
The anime ending is awful.

In the manga Light is grievously injured and begs Ryuk to save his life and kill his enemies for him.
Ryuk instead writes Lights name down in the death note killing him.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to say because so much of his character is about putting up a front.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's the difference?

I disliked the anime ending as he lost, which I think was annoying, due to the fact that the antagonist was lesser than L that season. Wanted a more interesting take than "the bad guy loses cause of a stupid reason", especially for such a smart series.

It's the same, except that in the anime Light gets to run away in a sort of tragic sequence before he lays down and dies, whereas in the manga he freaks out and begs Ryuk to save him and Ryuk just writes his name down instead.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the final moments because it was like the desperate clutching of an egomaniac who's losing grip. I felt this display of character redeemed a lot of the weak shit in the second half.

The mental breakdown in that finale ranks as one of my favorite endings in any media. It's so perfectly animated and raw. The satisfaction of seeing his reserved and intellectual shell utterly shatter into pieces is unmatched and is something I return to semi-regularly just to admire the artistry behind it.
You put it the best way. I think this is a great ending to his villain development. It's akin to Charles Foster Kane smashing up the room in Citizen Kane. It's just too bad that the second half of Death Note is generally pretty weak outside of this.

Last edited:

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
It's the same, except that in the anime Light gets to run away in a sort of tragic sequence before he lays down and dies, whereas in the manga he freaks out and begs Ryuk to save him and Ryuk just writes his name down instead.

Yeah, just read up on it, seems like they wanted to reference Light's death to that of L, that's why they did that in the anime.

Still think it was a cop out for a story that was breaking norms, to revert back to the norm haha.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I do wonder what would have happened if Light had succeeded in killing Near and everyone else associated with the task force. Did near have contingencies in place like L did upon his death? Would Wammys House just keep sending successors until someone eventually got to Light?