• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, Lemmings was huge. I was never the biggest fan of the series, but I'd probably go as far as to.say it was one of the biggest games at the time.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
In the US I remember hearing about it on and off everywhere throughout the early 90's, but only briefly played the Game Gear version one day. I didn't even know if it was a series of Lemmings games or just one game that got ported to pretty much every platform.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Last year during one of those PlayStation direct things there was a game that looked quite a bit like Lemmings I think. It was people based though, and kind of morbid the way they just marched to their deaths. I thought it looked really cool.

Anyone know what game I'm talking about?

Edit:

Maybe not that similar but I'm getting vibes

Last edited:

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you followed computer or console gaming in the early '90s, then yeah, you would know about Lemmings. It wasn't a massive phenomenon like Street Fighter II or anything but it was popular.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I played the shit out of it on SNES when I was a kid, so it was a "big" game to me. (I'm in Canada)

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
It's among the great classics.
In its day it was a very popular PC game. What was a "very popular PC game" in 1990 is a fart in the wind now. The PC gamer base was relatively microscopic in those days.
I don't think that's quite accurate, obviously the industry has grown a lot since. But it's all gaming, not just PC gaming that's bigger than ever. Personally I had the game on NES though, friend had it on PC.

Edit: Thinking back to it might had it on Amiga too, but for some reason remember the NES version more vividly.

Last edited:

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I love that as a kid I wasn't just playing Mario and action games, I was equally enthralled by Lemmings, Sim City, Dune 2 etc. So much variety and creativity in the early 90's.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I don't think that's quite accurate, obviously gaming has grown a lot since. But it's all gaming, not just PC gaming. Personally I had the game on NES though, friend had it on PC.

I was never even aware it was ported until this thread. All I knew was the PC version. I'm sorry!

Last edited:

Tito

Oct 28, 2017
It was pretty big IIRC, but then Sony did nothing with it, a couple of ports and mediocre sequels; but nothing to really innovate or continue the franchise. Maybe it wasn't meant to be; the name is based on a documental about lemmings commiting suicide (debunked), so pretty sad.

The later Mario vs DK games built on it, but were quite mediocre as well.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Around me, Lemmings 1 was big big big for those who had the means to play it, i contributed to it by spreading the love through word of mouth (I had a blue floppy version) .... Lemmings 2... nope.
console versions helped big time to increase the playerbase since computers were not that common at the time.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Lemmings was probably how I learned how to use a mouse. You needed to be fast and accurate to clear some of those levels. And keep an eye on the time, some levels were evil in that if you left the spawn rate alone while you were building a path forward for the rest using the usual hero Lemming who goes ahead, they wouldn't make it in time. You'd need all Lemmings out and ready to march as fast as possible.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I played Lemmings on PC back in the day. It was fun, and it was popular for its time.

Deleted member 27551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I felt it was very popular when I was younger, I think it was the only game my dad ever played back then. I'm betting if I went and asked my kids if they have heard of it they wouldn't have a clue what I was on about.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
I came into this thread thinking it was a moderate hit, but according to wikipedia the game sold 20 million copies between all of its ports

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
353cb7d3790a3bfa2adfb2a44b693a6a.jpg

this was the boy!

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
Popular enough that even Nintendo 'aped' the concept with the Mario vs DK / Minis games.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Lemmings was one of the go to games in our computer lab classes in elementary school

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Lemmings was pretty popular in the US. Not a huge name like Mario, Zelda, Mega Man, Mortal Kombat etc, but it was well known and well regarded.

When I only had a NES, GameBoy, and Lynx, the SNES version of Lemmings was one of the things I really wanted.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Lemmings was fucking huge when I was in grade school, got introduced to it by the girl I had a major crush on as a kid and we were obsessed with it. I was even a damn Lemming for Halloween one year.

Sony has fucked up their owning the IP like mad. It's something that could be like their NES Mario Bros, where if there's a Sony platform, there's a port of Lemmings/2/3 available to play on it either via BC or just buying a port of it. And like Microsoft with Minecraft they should just port it to fucking everything.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
I remember playing some 3D lemmings back in the 90s as a kid when I was living in the hospital with leukemia, anyone know which one that was?

m0therzer0

Mobile Gaming Product Manager
Verified
Nov 19, 2017
San Francisco bay area
Check out King Arthur's World on the SNES, that's something of a Lemmings RTS mash-up.
I never had Lemmings as a kid, but I loved King Arthur's World. Colorful graphics and super challenging (from what I remember).

Krusty's Fun House was a different kind of twist on Lemmings, putting yourself into the game scene to manually create paths with blocks to take rats to their deaths.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
It was really big, you're not wrong about that. It's just fallen into relative obscurity since.

There's not many Lemmings clones, the only one I can think of is Tokobot, but I think it's more common as a minigame in bigger games. Ratchet and Clank has used it multiple times for example. Those minigames always suck though.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Check out King Arthur's World on the SNES, that's something of a Lemmings RTS mash-up.

But yeah, Lemmings was pretty huge back in the very early '90s. Somewhat similar in the way Worms would end up being a few years later. Worms did a much better job of staying relevant though, mainly by actually having games released.

oh yeah, i mean there were some lemming clones, but didn't really have any progeny for today.

Oct 31, 2017
Contextually to its time I remember it being very popular.
Not as a niche title for hardcore players, either, but as one of those games that even "computer dads" played in their offices, like Age of Empire would be on a larger scale few years later.

Caesar III

Jan 3, 2018
The closest thing to lemmings for me is Mario and donkey Kong minis. But a new spin on lemmings itself would be great. Too bad it will never happen.

Loved the series on Amiga back in the days