• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking a lot about Lemmings recently without really knowing why and I basically have one question:
In my mind, Lemmings was fucking HUGE when it came out. Not Super Mario World huge but maybe one tier below it. Was that......not the case?
I'm mostly asking because not only have we not seen a new game in the series for ages (Like, what is "DMA Design" up to? I don't believe they have anything better to do, not like they are rockstars or anything) but what's even weirder to me is that we have not really seen a lot (if any) Indie games that try to emulate the Lemmings gameplay.

So.....was Lemmings only "huge" because me and my three friends loved it when I was five year olds and so I kinda extrapolated that it was big everywhere else as well?

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Today is the first day I've even heard of it so my anecdote is yes OP.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I think a lot of reporting on what's big or not is based on the US and ignores what was big in, say, Europe.

Technically Sony owns the rights to the Lemmings name, right?

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I loved it as a kid, but had completely forgotten about it. Someone mentioned it today in the Sony's first party thread and I was like "wow, Lemmings".

tusk

Banned
Apr 25, 2018
Chicago, IL
It was massive and ported to practically everything. There have already been 5 reset-era topics comparing it to Dark Souls.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
In its day it was a very popular PC game. What was a "very popular PC game" in 1990 is a fart in the wind now. The PC gamer base was relatively microscopic in those days.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Lemmings was massive in the UK, largely thanks to the Amiga and Home Computer scene, which was less of a thing in the US.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
I never thought it was huge but it had decent following. I love Lemmings and played all the different games even Lemmings 3D for PS1 which I still own. But outside of me I didn't know many people who played it.

Heck I even loved Lomax for PS1. Now that's a hidden gem

c16ff165-043d-e011-8d53-0200d897d049_2_full.gif

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
It was huge in my social circle back in the early 90s in Germany. Friends, schoolmates and even some adults played/knew it.

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
Lemmings were big here in Europe. Also, the last game was published by Sony 7 years ago or something on PS Vita (and it was pretty good!)

EDIT:

I forgot the smartphone FTP app released a few years ago.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
In my experience it was pretty big. It was released on just about every platform and everybody I knew had at least heard of it. That's all just anecdotal, but I'm pretty sure it's a very well-known ip and was probably a sizable hit back in the day.

JamesQuall

Oct 27, 2017
It was one of my absolute favorites as a kid. I Played the hell out of my GameBoy copy, along with PC releases and Tribes on SNES, but the impression I have was that is was a much bigger deal in the UK on the Amiga.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shame Lomax was the only spinoff. The IP could have been as big as The Rabbids if better managed.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Over the years it's faded into the background but it was pretty big back in it's day, with multiple sequels and spin off's and ports to pretty much every system out there.

Ebnas

May 15, 2019
Lemmings was the shit. I'd love to see what a 3D, physics-rich version ala 'bridge constructor' tech would look like.

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
my parents, uncles, older cousins etc all knew about it and they barely have any idea what the hell is super mario. So, yes it was big.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
I bloody love Lemmings, the sequel and the slightly off-kilter 3D version. What's ridiculous is that you can't buy any of them on PC nowadays, so the only choice is an unofficial updated-source port or hoping to dear god your 30-years old floppy disks still work to install it via DOSBox.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DMA Design are quite literally rockstars. Like, in the most literal sense. They are Rockstar games. The make GTA and red dead and such.

Sony owns lemmings, that's why you don't see it ported everywhere anymore. They took the rights when they bought Psygnosis. Like almost all Psygnosis properties, Sony is just sitting on them and never uses them.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm, 39 and lemmings was a big deal for me. My dad hated me nuking the lemmings! I originally didn't have a mouse (DOS system) so i had to control the cursor with the QA and OP keys, it was awful, so got a mouse for xmas.

I do sort of wonder if lemmings ended up being an evolutionary deadend. It's sort of RTS-sy? Gave DMA money to make GTA I guess? Sony owns the rights now or something?

Screen%20Shot%202017-08-28%20at%202.42.51%20PM.png

this makes me smile though
www.atlasobscura.com

For The Love Of Lemmings

Only '90s kids will appreciate this bronze tribute to the wildly popular video game.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I mainly remember it because it was on the cover of Nintendo Power once. Other than that, never knew anyone that played it.

CackleAndHide

Jan 17, 2018
Are you british OP? Lemmings was huge in UK. I remember playing lemmings, lemmings 2, christmas lemmings and possible some kind of lost levels lemmings on my amiga. I loved it!

Nov 2, 2017
Seems it still gets referenced as the alpha in the many games that mimic its concept, like the Mario v DK titles. It seemed pretty big in its heyday; reminds me a bit of Worms in popularity. Somewhat niche but a still large, devoted fan base.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you british OP? Lemmings was huge in UK. I remember playing lemmings, lemmings 2, christmas lemmings and possible some kind of lost levels lemmings on my amiga. I loved it!

I'm american, and I played the shit out of lemmings. Together my dad and I beat Lemmings, and Oh No More Lemmings. We also got really far into Lemmings 2 but never finished it. I also have a huge soft spot in my heart for Lemmings 3D. The little voices are so cute. "Buildah! Bashah!"

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Lemmings was big in the UK and probably also picked up small pockets of local popularity across Europe. It was quite popular overall but I think it had limited long-term prospects. The game pretty much has four types of level:

1. Levels introducing you to basic abilities. These are the ones where you have, say, a big drop, 20 Lemmings, and 20 floaters. You are already picturing this level in your head. There is no mystery to this type of level, it's just there to show you what the ability does so you know for later.

2. Straightforward levels where you can tell pretty much at a glance how to complete them.

3. Levels with an odd twist that require some degree of lateral thinking.

4. Levels which require you to have figured out the exact limitations of the abilities and the way that they interact with each other and sometimes also near-pixel-perfect levels of precision and/or frame-perfect timing. By standards of old-school game design these would be called "fiendish" or something with similar connotations of cleverness. By modern standards they're kind of a pain.

Once you're familiar with Lemmings, most of the possible levels are too easy and the ones that aren't have a tendency to only appeal to the biggest fans. That's the kind of game that works for a sequel or two but will tend to get stretched thin very quickly.

what's even weirder to me is that we have not really seen a lot (if any) Indie games that try to emulate the Lemmings gameplay.
There were several back when Lemmings was popular and they didn't really catch on. With Lemmings itself not selling very well nowadays whenever Sony try to revive it, clones aren't going to take interest.

Technically Sony owns the rights to the Lemmings name, right?
Yes. There's even a Lemmings mobile game from them. It's not great.

OP
OP
Shelbyville Milhouse
Oct 25, 2017
I'm american, and I played the shit out of lemmings. Together my dad and I beat Lemmings, and Oh No More Lemmings. We also got really far into Lemmings 2 but never finished it. I also have a huge soft spot in my heart for Lemmings 3D. The little voices are so cute. "Buildah! Bashah!"
I still remember buying some sort of Lemmings collection with Lemmings 3D on it and Lemmings 3D just would not run on my PC and I was so, so sad.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
I'm, 39 and lemmings was a big deal for me. My dad hated me nuking the lemmings! I originally didn't have a mouse (DOS system) so i had to control the cursor with the QA and OP keys, it was awful, so got a mouse for xmas.

I do sort of wonder if lemmings ended up being an evolutionary deadend. It's sort of RTS-sy? Gave DMA money to make GTA I guess? Sony owns the rights now or something?

Screen%20Shot%202017-08-28%20at%202.42.51%20PM.png

this makes me smile though
www.atlasobscura.com

For The Love Of Lemmings

Only '90s kids will appreciate this bronze tribute to the wildly popular video game.

That's my old University's Student Union building in the background, with that statue now about a ten-minute walk from where I work.

Cbrun44

I remember playing a whole lot of Lemmings in my 7th-grade typing class (Maybe around 94-95). Basically playing Lemmings rather than typing.

A Lemming as a playable character in Smash Bros. only seems reasonable. Make it happen Sakurai!

Oct 26, 2017
Check out King Arthur's World on the SNES, that's something of a Lemmings RTS mash-up.

But yeah, Lemmings was pretty huge back in the very early '90s. Somewhat similar in the way Worms would end up being a few years later. Worms did a much better job of staying relevant though, mainly by actually having games released.