• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
I get that Phoenix is a great actor and did a marvelous job but I'm not too sure the movie was good. This is a strange feeling for me as I normally walk out of the theater with a very clear impression of what I just watched and how I felt about. I really don't know what I just saw.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
It was OK. Phoenix carried the entire thing on his back with that performance.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
It was alright. Personally, it didn't say or mean much.
Joaquin Phoenix carried it with a fantastic performance.

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
I think I read someone describing it as the "greats actor showreel ever" or something. It's an ok movie beyond that.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Great performance, pretentious generic ass movie.

Horrible take on the joker. ("he was abused" "people are mean to him" "he's vindicated !" "he's an inspirational hero !" "maybe it's all in his head !" "he has a mental illness !" fucking pick one and also don't try to make the incarnation of Evil a victim, thanks)

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I thought the plot was pretty standard fare considering the subject matter, but Phoenix's performance, the cinematography and score elevated it to something more. I can certainly understand some people having issue with where this film could fit in the greater Batman universe, but I ignored all that and treated it as a standalone 'what if' and loved it in that context.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I think the problem is that it was trying to have something to say about US culture, but it still wanted to draw in that massive comic book audience. Because of this it got confused a few times who it was actually catering towards and would have to jump back and forth sometimes at odd places.

It definitely wasn't a bad movie, but it's not one I plan to rewatch anytime soon either.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Horrible take on the joker. ("he was abused" "people are mean to him" "he's vindicated !" "he's an inspirational hero !" "maybe it's all in his head !" "he has a mental illness !" fucking pick one and also don't try to make the incarnation of Evil a victim, thanks)

Yeah pretty much all of this.

Nolan best displayed how Joker doesn't need an origin or explanation.

This film really felt like someone's attempt at their own pretentious rendition of Taxi Driver.

Mar 30, 2019
I thought it was pretty good. Phoenix had a well done performance, but I have no drive to rewatch it nor find it particularly memorable. I don't think of it as a DC movie either. More like an average tragedy drama story with some light Batman references.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
The movie is so absurd, it's hard to take seriously, and on that note, I think it's a lot of fun to watch, and the performance is great.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I remember my mother wanting to see it at the cinema based on trailer, I went with her and we found it disappointing.
Joaquin is a great actor though.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
It was a pretty good movie with a great performance depending on how you feel about Phoenix. It doesn't have to really be anything specific imo. Your takeaway is just as valid.

TheTyrantShow

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 23, 2020
Tried too hard to make him look like a victim
He was garbage all the way through

we don't need an origin for Joker

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
Shitty movie and Phoenix's performance isn't good. it's just loud and a lot so people who think more acting=better acting can be duped easily.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was a fantastic movie with fantastic writing, direction and performances.

It was also a fantastic success at the Oscars and the box office.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I thought it was wildly overrated. Yes the performance was great, but not unlike anything he's done in the past. Just a different flavor. As for everything else it pretty much feels like what it is, a Joker movie by the guy that made the Hangover trilogy. It's like Michael Bay trying to tackle serious subject matter. He doesn't have the restraint, the subtlety, maybe even the taste to present it properly.

Rehynn

Banned
Feb 14, 2018
It's not even Phoenix's best performance in this vein. It's a well-crafted performance, but it doesn't feel inspired at all. Just textbook good acting.

Now check him out in The Master.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
It's extremely well shot and well acted but it doesn't really have much to say.
I kind of liked that about it. It was a window into Arthur Fleck's mind and world and nothing more. Sometimes that can be as rewarding as any story with a major message or theme.

The message for me was the emotions I took with me after watching the movie. Sadness, pity, shock, despair. Also made me a bit more appreciative towards people seen as misunderstood.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
It was a bad movie with a great performance that I still didn't like. Probably the worst experience I had in a theatre, completely missed the point on every mark. I still can't get over how everyone loved it but laughed at The Room when they are the same movie, with the only differences being the acting and photgraphy.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Great movie with fantastic performances.

Different strokes for different folks.

I don't get the backlash at all.

Last edited:

Jam

Oct 25, 2017

TIL nuance doesn't exist and we have to take everything is absolution.

Dec 22, 2017
One of the most overrated movies in recent memory. And the idea of Bruce Wayne's dad being an asshole capitalist/politician/elite was off putting. Is that in the comics?

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Decent movie with a great performance. I wouldn't say its bad, but its not exceptional either.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's Joaquin Phoenix doing his best to elevate the most rote screenplay.

Guzim

Oct 25, 2017
It has wonderful performances and a great score, but I hated the story so much.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
The universe the Joker film sets up would make for a far more interesting Batman than anything we've seen in theaters so far. Audiences haven't been forced to confront how something as over the top as Batman would play out in a more grounded world.

I also like how the film is an indictment of Gotham (and our society by proxy) just as much as it's a Joker origin story.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
It has probably the best living actor as the lead, so it was watchable because of Phoenix. The movie itself was a surplus of tropes we've seen in much better movies.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's just alright. And the crappy last 20 minutes of the film completely override any possible suspension of disbelief.

But Joaquin was flawless.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I kind of liked that about it. It was a window into Arthur Fleck's mind and world and nothing more. Sometimes that can be as rewarding as any story with a major message or theme.

The message for me was the emotions I took with me after watching the movie. Sadness, pity, shock, despair. Also made me a bit more appreciative towards people seen as misunderstood.

You're absolutely right, and it's ultimately fine. There's nothing wrong with a story just being told well. I don't even have a problem with the people declaring the movie to be profound in some way (though I heavily disagree). The only real problem I have is the people holding the movie up with some message about mental health or society ignoring its marginalized peoples.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I liked it. It wasn't a great movie or a bad one. It was just ok. Phoenix always does a good job, but I think his performance raised the movie a little.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory Accusations
Best movie of 2019. If you don't get it I think that says more about you than the movie. What's there not to get? It's just a Joker origin movie which people tried too hard to build fake outrage around. Some people on here even seemed like they actually wanted this movie to cause a mass shooting just so they could say I told you so. It's pathetic. It's just a Joker movie.