• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Can be as simple as body language or tone of voice that you might not be self aware of, and we certainly wouldn't be. Maybe you checked her out too obviously before hand and seemed like a creeper? Or maybe she's just reacting to being "hit on" by someone she wasn't attracted to. Or you weren't the first to ask for a photo lol. Lots of possible scenarios that you (and us) just aren't aware of.

And don't message her about maybe being weird. That's weird.

OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Can be as simple as body language or tone of voice that you might not be self aware of, and we certainly wouldn't be. Maybe you checked her out too obviously before hand and seemed like a creeper? Or maybe she's just reacting to being "hit on" by someone she wasn't attracted to. Or you weren't the first to ask for a photo lol. Lots of possible scenarios that you (and us) just aren't aware of.

And don't message her about maybe being weird. That's weird.
No, I definitely did not check her out or anything like that. Believe me, I do not do that

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
OP, as someone with General Anxiety Disorder: you're overthinking it.
I go to cons all the time. I've had a couple of awkward encounters with cosplayers before. The awkward interactions haunt me, sure, in spite of the fact no one got hurt and no one's personal space or peace of mind was invaded. But, in the end, it was just that: awkward. Neither you nor her did anything particularly wrong.

Move on. Get a talk therapist if it effects you that badly.

OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
OP, as someone with General Anxiety Disorder: you're overthinking it.
I go to cons all the time. I've had a couple of awkward encounters with cosplayers before. The awkward interactions haunt me, sure, in spite of the fact no one got hurt and no one's personal space or peace of mind was invaded. But, in the end, it was just that: awkward. Neither you nor her did anything particularly wrong.

Move on. Get a talk therapist if it effects you that badly.
I don't need therapy for this, lol but right on overthinking

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you don't check people out? There's wrong about seeing someone and thinking they are attractive. There is something wrong if you stalk them, make them uncomfortable or make weird comments...
There's nothing inherently wrong with checking people out, people naturally find each other attractive. It becomes a problem when you take it too far, i.e leering at someone.
Some people don't like being checked out

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
You asked so you didn't do anything wrong - obviously things ended up being a little awkward but I wouldn't beat yourself up about it.

Photo opportunities will come about organically at parties, so maybe don't ask.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Over thinking is when you've worked it through, got a good bun for the oven but you still keep kneading that dough. It ruins the flavor.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
My friend then asked her after she became a part of our photo. "Hey, do you know DragonSJG" and she replied in a joking(?)."Yeah, he asked me to take a f*cking photo a million times" and I was thinking "Oh crap baskets, I did make it weird" but I replied jokingly "It was only once" and she responded "true".
This was her sensing your intentions and trying to defuse and drop the situation. You didn't do anything wrong, but don't try to use apologizing as a way to pick the thread back up again.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I'd say play it out cold the rest of the way but as it was/is it's okay.

Deleted member 42102

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Let it go bruv. As a fellow over thinker myself, sometimes you just gotta turn that brain off and leave people alone boss.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Apologizing for making it weird will make it even weirder. Move on and forget about it.

100%

I never understand the train of thought to throw fuel on the fire by contacting someone about something they've probably already forgotten about.

"Hi BLANK, it's PERSON here, I was wearing COSTUME at PARTY, I realise I may have come off as a little forward by asking you for a photo but I'm actually just a big fan of FRANCHISE and I really liked your take on CHARACTER. I actually do a lot of COSPLAY in my spare time and thought ..."

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Without being there, I can't really say if how you asked was wrong, but I don't necessarily think asking if you guys already had a friendly rapport was bad. But really, hard to judge with no first hand knowledge of the sitch.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Don't apologize and she sounds pretty bland. Keep your photo and move on.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
hmmm-did-i-this-is-helping-did-i-overthink-things-27394024.png

Haven't done a right-click -> save photo this hard in a long time.

OP, I can't add much more than what has already been said, but yes you are definitely overthinking it, and no don't worry about it

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
they still think you were chatting her up, bruv

how about this? maybe it wasn't even you, but the situation that reminded her of something? like another time someone asked her for a pic and it was actually creepy.

what if she was thinking about how non-awkward your request came off? how perfectly reasonable it seemed, and maybe that's what threw her off?
it could be she was expecting some creepy stuff, was prepared for it, and when it didn't happen all she was left with was ".....ok. sure."

Last edited:

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
with the info the op is providing the only thing i can say is

she was teasing you

Jam

Oct 25, 2017

Because in normal human interactions sometimes people tease each other?

OP for real this is a whole lot of nothing. There's a 99% chance she was just playfully teasing you, and there's nothing more to it; and even if she wasn't it's something you drop and just let go. Messaging her so you don't seem weird will just make you look weird, absolutely do not message her.

And if you see her at another social function don't totally avoid her, and don't go straight over to talk to her or mention this. Just be natural, if you interact you interact, if not you don't.

You're definitely just over thinking this entire thing. You did nothing wrong so don't sweat it and just forget it.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
The sort of person who would come to the forum and write a long post about an innocuous interaction with another person (making sure to let us know he thinks she's cute) is the sort of person I'm willing to believe isn't exactly giving the whole story.

You did make it weird. Leave her alone.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like other people had already been bothering her about photos/ coming strongly at her and it could be that you were just one guy too many on the pile.
Or she just wasn't in the mood for pictures.

Anyhoo, don't overthink it. If things happened like you said, you did nothing wrong.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Everything sounds fine to me. Maybe she's just weird about taking pictures with people she doesn't know very well. That's not your fault. Just move on and forget about it. I wouldn't message her or anything like that. You don't need to apologize and it'll probably make things more awkward.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Ask your good friends because there is really no way we will be able to tell especially with some of the preconceptions based on other ERA users stories

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Definitely don't apologize dude.

Edit: Just reading the messages I have to agree, she was teasing you. Just play it cool

Ryu_Ken

Oct 30, 2017
Wait, how're defining "checking someone out"? If I see someone is attractive, I've checked them out. You can't just go around not seeing people and ignoring how they look.
I was just wondering the same. If I look at someone and I think to myself, they are attractive. Does that constitute checking them out?

VulcanRaven

alt account
Banned
Oct 21, 2019
I was just wondering the same. If I look at someone and I think to myself, they are attractive. Does that constitute checking them out?

maybe, but who cares?

Anyone can check out anyone wether they like it or not, as long as they aren't a creep about it. I do it all the time, I can help notice people I find attractive, and there's nothing wrong with it at all, it's human