• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jarrich

Jan 1, 2020
FF 13 (entire trilogy) and FF X are both my favorite entries in the Final Fantasy series to date, by a million miles. I just don't vibe with the live-action combat of more recent titles.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
No it wasn't, I remember thinking Skies of Arcadia was the better RPG at the time was something like a trolling opinion.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
I think most people didnt care if it was linear or not, just that the story, visuals and gameplay were good. it wasnt as big an issue as when 13 when released.

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
Nah it was acclaimed by the masses. FFX was received badly by ME for it's linearity. Immense disappointment when the world map ended being a point and click list of areas to enter.

Honestly, FFX wasn't as linear FFXIII and had a lot more going for it as far as advancing the genre. That's why the FFXIII whiplash was more severe. The thing is, reduced exploration and agency puts more emphasis on characters and storytelling and FFXIII, frankly, crumbled under that weight.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Of course not. That would have made sense.

Joking aside, I really found that contrast really interesting too when 13 dropped. Then again, I just ignored it too.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
2nd most popular game in the series and got a sequel that sold over 5 million copies

X was beloved

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sep 10, 2020
The 13 trilogy was bashed due to the rise of open-world games and because of it's convoluted story. X and XIII are two of the best games in the series though

Nymir

Oct 27, 2017
Linearity is a short-hand to describe various elements, a better term would be pacing. Final Fantasy X lacks a world map but it is paced like a classic Final Fantasy. It has set pieces, quieter moments with town exploration and group interactions, minigames, sidequest, dungeons, secrets. All of those elements are experienced through gameplay and player interaction in some way, gameplay reflects the events of the story.

Final Fantasy XIII is paced like a dungeon crawler, cutscenes are rewards for clearing the new dungeon section and changes in the pace of the story are conveied through cutscenes, not gameplay. There's no actual downtime for the player, it becomes exhausting, especially considering the structure of the dungeons and how many limitations are placed on character growth, party composition, equipment etc.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
Firstly FFX wrote it's linearity into it's plot line. It was a pilgrimage afterall so a straight line from point A to B makes some sense at least.

XIII wrote it into it's plot as well. It's about a group (often times separated) on the run.

X's linearity made more sense within the story but the biggest part is that it still has towns

I don't understand this. Out of all of the criticisms of XIII, the linear nature of the game not making sense within the story seems like a huge swing and a miss. The linear nature of the story makes a ton of sense narratively.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
XIII wrote it into it's plot as well. It's about a group (often times separated) on the run.

I don't understand this. Out of all of the criticisms of XIII, the linear nature of the game not making sense within the story seems like a huge swing and a miss. The linear nature of the story makes a ton of sense narratively.
Yeah I realized after I posted that that in the past I actually have defended XIII's story making sense within a linear game, so you're right.

I guess the argument could've been the story should've been altered in the first place to include towns.

But knowing towns were hard for them to make, I guess that actually makes XIII's story clever - given that it was told without the need for them.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Maybe it's my age, but i think you can tell who was actually on the internet back then (or just generally up on things, i don't know why people are acting like the internet wasn't already a thing in 2001 lol) because X was definitely criticised pretty heavily back then for its linearity and definitely wasn't as widely acclaimed as people claim in here. Plenty of people were pretty bummed out that it was a bit of a departure from the relative freedom of the PS1 games. Not everyone was blinded by the visuals or voice acting or cared about pacing or world building. People missed the airships and the overworld.

and if we're talking about something from almost 20 years ago, it's only with hindsight and having a game like XIII to compare it to that it stacks up favorably now.

Not to say people didn't like it at the time, because they definitely did, but there's some revisionist nonsense being bandied about in this topic. Maybe it's an age thing.

Last edited:

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
No, it wasn't because of the following reasons:

Linearity is a short-hand to describe various elements, a better term would be pacing. Final Fantasy X lacks a world map but it is paced like a classic Final Fantasy. It has set pieces, quieter moments with town exploration and group interactions, minigames, sidequest, dungeons, secrets. All of those elements are experienced through gameplay and player interaction in some way, gameplay reflects the events of the story.

Final Fantasy XIII is paced like a dungeon crawler, cutscenes are rewards for clearing the new dungeon section and changes in the pace of the story are conveied through cutscenes, not gameplay. There's no actual downtime for the player, it becomes exhausting, especially considering the structure of the dungeons and how many limitations are placed on character growth, party composition, equipment etc.
Great summary.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
I personally didn't care for it for that reason. I remember being so disappointed when the world didn't open up in the way I expected it to coming off VII, VIII and IX.

It's not as bad as XIII obviously but it's a mediocre experience held together by a superb battle system.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
I remember my local gaming magazines lamented the loss of overworld map and playable airship. But everyone accepted it's the cost of making a next-gen Final Fantasy.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
If you actually don't even remember the basic plotline, why are you commenting on it like you do?
Well if they wanted me to give a shit they shouldn't have hidden so much of the lore as optional readable material buried in the menu somewhere.

Most of my comments about FFXIII have been about the parts of the game I can actually remember and that's going to have to do.

Lightning1981

Mar 31, 2019
The issue I had with FFXIII was not so much the linear gameplay but the forced party's and that you don't get any options at all until end chapter 9. That's 20 hours into the game, that's too far imo before things open up and the player gets choices.

I had issues with FFX as well though, just not as many.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
FFXIIIs Linearity isn't just about the hallways.

You are railroaded in pretty much every aspect of combat, progression, party composition etc. It also does an absolutely terrible job at establishing it's world and lore. Even the characters take forever to be established.

FFX does a way better job at introducing you to bigger concepts of whats going on around you. It breaks the pace with small explorable areas. It lets you talk to a way bigger amount of people and it shows you how they live due to towns actually existing even if they are classic 2-3 screen JRPG villages. Think what you want of the plottwists but the storytelling is just way better in X than it is in XIII.

XIII is a game that takes 30 hours to get going mechanically and storywise and at the same time, ends abrupbtly and leaves you with a feeling that there wasn't enough set up. It's not great.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The pacing of X is much better, it had towns to slow down the plot and allowed to expand on the world, characters and If I remember right, it still allow you to backtrack your steps to revisit locations. It was very much still a linear game but the execution was much better. It allowed the characters to anchor themselves in that world, to make it feel more alive with more NPC to talk and more interesting vistas and locations.

One of the major problems with XIII is that it's world design is very incosistent and detached. The game constantly moved your from location to location but there was no transitions. You had to believe those areas belonged to the same world, because otherwise they lacked some kind of cohesive design that you can identify the world the game had you travelling.

Each area is basically isolated from the last one with no common grounds or proper transitions to make them establish as part of the 'same' world.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I've been musing on this further since chatting on this one last year.

I think one of the most harmful things for FFXIII was how utterly disposable the locations were. Final Fantasy is linear, but the worlds felt established and viable. About 90% of the stuff you walk through in FFXIII is gorgeous, but fundamentally window dressing. They're just themed locations that are discarded once you're through them. Do I even recognise them as viable areas of Cocoon? Pretty much no... I have this huge disconnect between the lived in areas of the populous, and then these sprawling fantasy locales that are hubs for monsters.

Everything feels compromised for the story - the big escape, becoming a Fal'Cie - where usually there is a fine balance between the two.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
You are railroaded in pretty much every aspect of combat, progression, party composition etc.

This one here is a big crime. The story dictates that your characters cannot use crystarium skills until they are a Fal'Cie, meaning that the opening couple of hours are spent with battles that consist of Attack or Item.

I know auto-battle gets criticised, but fluidly swapping paradigms as necessary was pretty cool. Actually an extension of a fully equipped Gambit squad on FFXII. On that, I my party was pretty much hands off for the latter stages of the game, only requiring my interjection for certain moments.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I've been musing on this further since chatting on this one last year.

I think one of the most harmful things for FFXIII was how utterly disposable the locations were. Final Fantasy is linear, but the worlds felt established and viable. About 90% of the stuff you walk through in FFXIII is gorgeous, but fundamentally window dressing. They're just themed locations that are discarded once you're through them. Do I even recognise them as viable areas of Cocoon? Pretty much no... I have this huge disconnect between the lived in areas of the populous, and then these sprawling fantasy locales that are hubs for monsters.

Everything feels compromised for the story - the big escape, becoming a Fal'Cie - where usually there is a fine balance between the two.
I totally agree on this, but Pulse had a lot more freedom, and I don't just mean the open areas. The Sulya Springs had optional areas, you made actual choices in Taejin's Tower. It really felt like they'd got into their groove by that portion of the game. But then you've got 30 hours prior to that which are literally just pretty hallways.

I remember an interview which said that the vision for FFXIII wasn't clear until the demo they released with Advent Children Complete which the whole team could rally behind. That released THE SAME YEAR as FFXIII.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
To be honest, no. Cuz it still felt like a grand adventure in each space. You had side activities, etc. XIII is just an entire half that's a slog and then it finally gets interesting. That's a long time

Solobbos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I've never played it, but most of my friends hated the loss of the world map. Should get around to it some day.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I totally agree on this, but Pulse had a lot more freedom, and I don't just mean the open areas. The Sulya Springs had optional areas, you made actual choices in Taejin's Tower. It really felt like they'd got into their groove by that portion of the game. But then you've got 30 hours prior to that which are literally just pretty hallways.

I remember an interview which said that the vision for FFXIII wasn't clear until the demo they released with Advent Children Complete which the whole team could rally behind. That released THE SAME YEAR as FFXIII.

Pulse was ok, because you'd had something like 25 hours of world building leading up to it... some mysterious wonderland full of crazy beasts and the L'Cie. And the freedom of movement, being able to go forwards, come back, really helped too.

FFXIII - from what I read on here - was significantly impacted by FFXII's delays. It was meant to be a swansong for the PS2, but got thrown seriously out of whack. You can see screenshots of the PS2 dev version out on the internet. While XII was fantastic, makes you wonder what XIII would have been if it hit its proposed platform.

Deleted member 81119

Banned
Sep 19, 2020
FFXIII - from what I read on here - was significantly impacted by FFXII's delays. It was meant to be a swansong for the PS2, but got thrown seriously out of whack. You can see screenshots of the PS2 dev version out on the internet. While XII was fantastic, makes you wonder what XIII would have been if it hit its proposed platform.
I'm sure it was heavily impacted by that and Crystal Tools. But ultimately it's still a Toriyama game and his lack of leadership is really evident. I'm so glad he's back to being an Event Director now because he's really good at that level.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Nah FFX is actually a good game it's also pretty much the last FF my more casual gamer friends have played.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
There are many reasons why X is the better game but the biggest of all is simply that X is a story focused game that actually has a good story and XIII isn't

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
The problem with XIII's linearity is (if I recall) there were several places you couldn't even come back to. It was a one way ride until you reached a certain point. You couldn't really return and explore.

FFX was linear but you could still return and travel to and from these areas to get items/secrets/etc. There were only a few places which were one-time deals.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
FFX doesn't require you to only press forward until you finish it. It isn't nearly as bad as this. Side-quests also require some traveling once you reach near the end. It's actually a great game that knew what it was doing.
Same can't be said about the other one.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
The linearity of XIII was not the problem. The lack of things to do was the problem, and the linearity simply exacerbated that. I do think people criticized the lack of exploration in X once you had the airship. But it has interesting, varied things to do in the endgame.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
FFX had towns. FFX had puzzles. FFX had a large sports mini-game. FFX had more freedom with building your character stats & abilities. FFX didn't limit the player to 2 character parties for half the game. FFX let you choose your party composition early on. FFX felt like it took place in a realized world, not just a series of random background art.

Deleted member 81119

Banned
Sep 19, 2020
FFX had towns. FFX had puzzles. FFX had a large sports mini-game. FFX had more freedom with building your character stats & abilities. FFX didn't limit the player to 2 character parties for half the game. FFX let you choose your party composition early on. FFX felt like it took place in a realized world, not just a series of random background art.
My dream for a remaster of XIII is adding in a side game like Blitzball that you could access from the save menu (maybe VR racing, that'd fit with the CG late in the game), theme park rides at Nautilus and some more hunts along the way that you can access through chapter select.

Just adding those would give the game some much needed distractions along the way.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
The 13 trilogy was bashed due to the rise of open-world games and because of it's convoluted story.
13 was well reviewed and it's only when players got their hands on the game that it all went "holy shit, this is crap!"

Not being an open-world was the least of the game's "issues".

Plot makes no sense unless you delve into an actual in-game encyclopedia, characters are lame, battle system sucks, even those who love this mess of a battle system agree it's shit for the first 20 or so hours, the only redeeming qualities are graphics and music. That's a lot of flaws for an RPG!

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Maybe it's my age, but i think you can tell who was actually on the internet back then (or just generally up on things, i don't know why people are acting like the internet wasn't already a thing in 2001 lol) because X was definitely criticised pretty heavily back then for its linearity and definitely wasn't as widely acclaimed as people claim in here. Plenty of people were pretty bummed out that it was a bit of a departure from the relative freedom of the PS1 games. Not everyone was blinded by the visuals or voice acting or cared about pacing or world building. People missed the airships and the overworld.

and if we're talking about something from almost 20 years ago, it's only with hindsight and having a game like XIII to compare it to that it stacks up favorably now.

Not to say people didn't like it at the time, because they definitely did, but there's some revisionist nonsense being bandied about in this topic. Maybe it's an age thing.
High five old fart.

I liked X at release though. And even if I didn't replay it recently, I think it's probably still a pretty decent game in its own right.

Especially compared to 13 haha

But yeah, X got its share of flak at the time.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I eemrr Er Monet it reviewing well, and I remember linking it. Going back to X and I feel like it is actually one of the weaker mainland entries. I can see why they moved away from turn based combat because it got old pretty fast in X.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Never heard anyone to dislike FFX until this thread. Sometimes this place is ridiculous.
I've disliked it for like 14 years lol. I'm just thankful that I've always had expert grid available, because I can't imagine how worse it'd be with standard grid.
The linearity and turn based battle system is awful, and it just becomes a case of use whoever has the attack most suitable for each specific enemy, until it turns into Tidus Quick Hit Auron Quick Hit Rikku Quick Hit Wakka Quick Hit Tidus Quick Hit Auron Quick Hit Wakka Quick Hit Rikku Quick Hit.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
No it wasn't, I remember thinking Skies of Arcadia was the better RPG at the time was something like a trolling opinion.
Seriously? I didn't get into JRPGs until I got older, but Skies of Arcadia is a lot better lol.

As for the topic at hand, FFX isn't quite as linear as FFXIII, but yeah it's still a very linear game. As someone who played both of these games for the first time in the early 2010's, I felt they were both cut from the same cloth, especially in comparison to VI-IX