• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
I was thinking of making this thread for a while but wanted to be sure I wasn't misjudging the game so I said I'd wait until I played the whole game through. I just finished X for the first time and I really liked it and can see why it's a lot of people's favourite Final Fantasy.

But something that was bugging me throughout was whether on its initial release it was attacked for being so linear. Don't get me wrong it's not really something I mind, in fact honestly I find most RPGs and JRPGs quite daunting lately as someone that is working 2 jobs and often 6 day weeks and has to spend about 3-4 hours on each of those days commuting, so having something more direct with less filler is actually almost like a breath of fresh air for me as someone that might only have a few hours of gaming free a week. But (personally, at least) I've never really seen people discussing whether they liked this or not about the game and XIII's similarity to it with regard to its linearity. X has more towns than XIII no question, but even then I felt a lot of those were really small and didn't have much to them apart from simply being places to shop and rest. But I just wondered if X was slated when it came out because it didn't have the freedom that the likes of VIII had, or because it doesn't have places like Treno in it to explore. I know it has the airship towards the end which makes things feel a bit more open but it's pretty much just there for going back to places you've been to already. XIII was my first FF game but since then I've gone on to play all of IV to IX (and now X rounds that off as I don't really have a huge interest in I-III unless I should be convinced otherwise) so I can see the faults that XIII has pretty clearly but I guess I'm just more surprised at why people reacted so angrily about that aspect of XIII. Did Square promise or show off the game as something different?

Anyway I did really enjoy the game. I already knew a couple of tracks (mainly Wandering Flame after seeing it posted in a thread years back about relaxing music) although I avoided ones like To Zanarkand because I wanted to hear it for the first time in game (and yes I used the original OST, I remember the furore over that with the PS3 remaster), but those better tracks in the game like Suteki Da Ne and To Zanarkand really are wonderful. I had parts of the story spoiled years ago as well but that didn't stop me from enjoying it and I actually liked the whole cast which is not something I'd be able to say often. The sphere grid system confused me a little at first but I realised it's not really complicated, although I still can't say I used it to its fullest. The battle system was solid, and although trying to even out the AP everyone got in each battle was a little tiring (I swapped everyone into most battles) it was great to not have to pick a select few to use and the rest to ignore unless I wanted to spend hours upon hours grinding. I was considering doing some of the side content but I've read a lot of it requires a lot of grinding and I wasn't exactly in a great place as I got towards the end so I think I'll leave it (only just got Ultima right before the final boss fight and used a friend sphere to give it to Yuna too, without that I wasn't finishing this game any time soon). Although I've seen most people shitting on it, I think I will at the very least give X-2 a try, I've seen some (not many, mind you) praise its dungeons and other aspects of its battle system.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
No, it wasn't. It also isn't linear in quite the same way as FF XIII

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
No because 13 isn't fun. It doesn't play itself, while 13 is a straight line and braindead, which led many people to claim its just a really long movie.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a long time, but theproblem people had with FFXIII IIRC is that it's just one big straight line with people even mapping it out. You also had the "HD towns are hard" thing.

Anaron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I certainly hated the loss of a world map and proper airship

But it's still not comparable to XIII's level

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I remember being very disappointed not having a world map and other people felt the same way. But the game itself was such a leap in graphics and technology that it still impressed as a new final fantasy.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
FFX's linearity was appropriate due to the way the story was presented. It was a pilgrimage afterall. Mainstream reviewers pointed out the linearity as a problem for those that loved the old world map from the earlier games but it wasn't considered a big enough issue to hurt the game's reputation. Plenty of fans did complain about it at the time though (me included).

FFXIII was a similar situation where the critics pointed out the linearity but the game still reviewed well regardless. Fans on the other hand were way less inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt. People's expectations on how to present large 3D worlds had risen by that point.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017
It didn't bother me but I was so psyched for the technology boost that the PS2 brought to the table that I wasn't picky.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
It was commented on, but it certainly wasn't considered a dealbreaker the way FF13's was. Because for all its flaws, FF10 handles it better.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Oblig

I don't even like FFX much but it's not as linear as XIII. I usually stop playing X around the Calm Lands because it arguably opens up "too much" for me and I can't decide what to do lol.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
I recall reading reviews that talked about seamlessly walking from place to place with no world map as a good thing. FF was like a AAAA franchise at the time, so a lot of reviewers looked to it to be a cinematic and technological marvel. Losing the world map made it feel more like a movie, so quite a few people liked that about it.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No, but FF X was a huge leap in graphical fidelity that people were busy gawking at the pretty cutscenes. It was probably one of the best looking game for its time.

FFXIII was also pretty, but in that era a lot of game are as good looking or better, so people were less forgiving.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
We were too busy being amazed by the graphics to bother ourselves by that. When XIII came out it was pretty but that's it, it was nothing groundbreaking, that made you think about other stuff.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
No.

People don't seem to realize that 'linear' was just one small issue in a much bigger disaster that was XIII. And past FF games weren't exactly open world games with a lot of freedom until near the end - same with FFX and the airship - something like IX is very on rails until you get the airship. The world map did give a nice illusion of freedom and really added a sense of scale to the world which was great. FFX nailed the feeling of being a journey and the previous title were world exploring epics. And then XIII just felt disconnected and XV literally takes place in a small patch of land that feels a few miles wide.

Although I've seen most people shitting on it, I think I will at the very least give X-2 a try, I've seen some (not many, mind you) praise its dungeons and other aspects of its battle system.
X-2 has great gameplay and it's interesting visiting that world in peace time. The story tone sure are something though. It's worth playing and I like it more than XIII and XV at least.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
FFX was huge IIRC. I did love FF9 but seemed like it got bit lukewarm reception and then came FFX. It did lot of new things and top it all off it looked great. Biggest FF since seven. Given that it didn't leave legacy like FF7 did.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
No because the linearity was never the issue. It was just an easy critique to fall back on because XIII was such a disaster it was hard to articulate just how wrong everything about it was

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, it was well-received despite being quite linear with its design. I think the bigger issue with XIII's reception wasn't the linearity but the 10 hour long tutorial. It's insulting.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
X, when it came out, was an impressive technical feat. The world was fun to walk about in and there were still towns to visit along the journey with some alternative paths to take. You were locked into to a single path, but it always felt like you were going somewhere.

XIII, when it came out, was surrouned by pretty looking games, but it is basically nothing but single path until you get to Grand Pulse, which still manages to funnel you back into a single corridor. Like I can't remember any of the story beats up until that point, but can easily remember random details of the FFX journey.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No matter how many times people try to compare the situation, it's never going to actually be comparable. FFX was a huge leap from the previous entries in the series as the first game on PS2. The world wasn't just artwork you ran around on. The characters were voiced. But lest that all seem like distractions: The story and characters were also incredibly engaging. It was a unique tale that isn't really like anything else, with a love story at its center.

And while people did decry the way the airship was handled... it still existed. You could backtrack without issue save for one area of the game. The journey, while linear, still took you through pretty explorable areas... and towns and cities.

I could go on, but do you see the problem yet? FFXIII has none of these things. In fact, "HD towns are hard" rightfully became a meme. Everything was literally a hallway, there was no going back. Instead of advancement, it felt like a step back, not just from FFX, but from the more recent FFXII as well.

The writing was also considerably worse and filled with all sort of nonsense technobabble you are expected to know. FFX provides context to immediately figure out what things like Zanarkand and Sin are, as they're just names -- and by time they introduce you to headier concepts (like the fayth) you've already been inducted in the world. FFXIII expects you to understand what Fal'cie and L'cie are right off the bat in a way that no one possibly can. It's an amateur storytelling mistake.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy X still offers side exploration while progressing through main content. In a way, it's not that different from FFVI-FFIX outside the lack of overworld.

Edit : Forgot that X also have real dungeons.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
XIII was linear in ways that X was not. You couldn't even compose a party until chapter X. It's structure was much more terrible and limiting than X

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
There are many reviews from that period available on the web. The short answer is no, it was considered an excellent FF game, with no special negativity about that particular point.

Warukyure

Banned
Feb 23, 2019
I think they are both equally as linear but I feel as if because FFX has a purpose and everything seems connected. Whereas FFXIII, it seems to just toss you into places haphazardly. Like one second you're are Lake Bresha, the next you're at the jungle looking facility. Not to mention, since you get most of your characters early on in FFX, it seems more of a grand journey, but in FFXIII, you don't get to choose, you're literally tossed in an area with whoever. Like there's a section where is just Sazh and Vanille, and with the early limitations on your crystarium, it's not really fun.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking of making this thread for a while but wanted to be sure I wasn't misjudging the game so I said I'd wait until I played the whole game through. I just finished X for the first time and I really liked it and can see why it's a lot of people's favourite Final Fantasy.

But something that was bugging me throughout was whether on its initial release it was attacked for being so linear. Don't get me wrong it's not really something I mind, in fact honestly I find most RPGs and JRPGs quite daunting lately as someone that is working 2 jobs and often 6 day weeks and has to spend about 3-4 hours on each of those days commuting, so having something more direct with less filler is actually almost like a breath of fresh air for me as someone that might only have a few hours of gaming free a week. But (personally, at least) I've never really seen people discussing whether they liked this or not about the game and XIII's similarity to it with regard to its linearity. X has more towns than XIII no question, but even then I felt a lot of those were really small and didn't have much to them apart from simply being places to shop and rest. But I just wondered if X was slated when it came out because it didn't have the freedom that the likes of VIII had, or because it doesn't have places like Treno in it to explore. I know it has the airship towards the end which makes things feel a bit more open but it's pretty much just there for going back to places you've been to already. XIII was my first FF game but since then I've gone on to play all of IV to IX (and now X rounds that off as I don't really have a huge interest in I-III unless I should be convinced otherwise) so I can see the faults that XIII has pretty clearly but I guess I'm just more surprised at why people reacted so angrily about that aspect of XIII. Did Square promise or show off the game as something different?

Anyway I did really enjoy the game. I already knew a couple of tracks (mainly Wandering Flame after seeing it posted in a thread years back about relaxing music) although I avoided ones like To Zanarkand because I wanted to hear it for the first time in game (and yes I used the original OST, I remember the furore over that with the PS3 remaster), but those better tracks in the game like Suteki Da Ne and To Zanarkand really are wonderful. I had parts of the story spoiled years ago as well but that didn't stop me from enjoying it and I actually liked the whole cast which is not something I'd be able to say often. The sphere grid system confused me a little at first but I realised it's not really complicated, although I still can't say I used it to its fullest. The battle system was solid, and although trying to even out the AP everyone got in each battle was a little tiring (I swapped everyone into most battles) it was great to not have to pick a select few to use and the rest to ignore unless I wanted to spend hours upon hours grinding. I was considering doing some of the side content but I've read a lot of it requires a lot of grinding and I wasn't exactly in a great place as I got towards the end so I think I'll leave it (only just got Ultima right before the final boss fight and used a friend sphere to give it to Yuna too, without that I wasn't finishing this game any time soon). Although I've seen most people shitting on it, I think I will at the very least give X-2 a try, I've seen some (not many, mind you) praise its dungeons and other aspects of its battle system.
As a game it was linear, part of the story it was telling (a pilgrimage). What really made a difference is that at the time it was a pretty update of an existing formula. They knew what people wanted and gave it to them by allowing the larger environment to act as a world map.

For FF12 they opened that wider into a more expansive world map where you travelled the majority on foot. You could essentially go anywhere and fight anything in your path.

The next logical step should have been to evolve that template.

XIII stepped back from that, pit you against random encounters on a hallway you couldn't escape for many hours. So while those games were products of their time in taste and design, 13 should have been more in the same way Breath of the Wild evolved.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
No. Mostly because it's a significantly better game in every aspect.

Plus, X does a pretty good job of presenting a false sense of exploration via maps that loop in on themselves etc instead of ending in dead ends.

Kuroyume

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember people bashing it for the lack of a playable/explorable world map like the previous games. A lot of people here don't remember that though. Sort of how people bashed the hell out of MGS2 when it came out, but now people look back at it fondly as some brilliant game that everyone loved.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
As many others have said, people felt a bit disappointed by the lack of a worldmap and of big towns as were used to before BUT the scenario, the battle system and the sphere grid were good enough to balance that.

The game did feel linear but it was also realy fun to play and you still felt a sense of exploration and wonders while playing.

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
FF used to be one of my favorite series up until FF9.

FFX was the first FF game that I never finished and had no real interest in. It didn't feel like I was exploring a world and I wasn't as invested in the story or characters. Maybe it opened up more but I wasn't a fan.
FFXIII somehow took everything I didn't enjoy about 10 and pushed it further. I never finished it so it might have gotten better but I had no interest investing any more time into it.

I do think FFX was better received, even if I didn't enjoy it personally, I could appreciate the huge leap the game was. So I think that helped.
Even with X's problems I also think it was far better than XIII, which is my least favorite FF (I never bothered with XIII-2 and XIII-3).

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
FFX didn't also gatekeep how far on the spheregrid you could travel on any given 'chapter', nor lock you into pre-determined party setups until 25 hours into the game.

Yes, the game was linear, but it did have other (admittedly small, but present) opportunities to allow people to dig into the game horizontally, so to speak. Especially on the Expert Sphere Grid.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
FFX amd FFX13's similarities are only skin deep in regards to game design.

FF13 is linear in pretty much every way a game could be considered linear. The way you upgrade, how you traverse the world, how you are supposed to absorb the information of the game. FFX disguises the linear path with tons of objectives to do during the story and after it, a sense of a journey actually progressing through a real world, actual people you want to journey with.

FF13 has none of this..as just one example, in FF13 your upgrades and shop are liimited to a stat screen at a save point dumping useless lumps of nothing into weapons to get to more arbitrary higher numbers. With FFX, it allowed you to truly make your weapons, mix and match whatever kind of things you wanted into them, while actually having to go buy them at a town shop where people actually go to. It contributes greatly to a sense of world building and the game actually being full of something.

The combat having pretty much auto battle. with the player not even being in control of summons and how they work pretty much streamlines playerchoice in a bad way.

It all contributes to the game essentially playing itself. They throw essentially everything out for just the cutscenes contributing to the story, and even that was bad

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No matter how many times people try to compare the situation, it's never going to actually be comparable. FFX was a huge leap from the previous entries in the series as the first game on PS2. The world wasn't just artwork you ran around on. The characters were voiced. But lest that all seem like distractions: The story and characters were also incredibly engaging. It was a unique tale that isn't really like anything else, with a love story at its center.

And while people did decry the way the airship was handled... it still existed. You could backtrack without issue save for one area of the game. The journey, while linear, still took you through pretty explorable areas... and towns and cities.

I could go on, but do you see the problem yet? FFXIII has none of these things. In fact, "HD towns are hard" rightfully became a meme. Everything was literally a hallway, there was no going back. Instead of advancement, it felt like a step back, not just from FFX, but from the more recent FFXII as well.

The writing was also considerably worse and filled with all sort of nonsense technobabble you are expected to know. FFX provides context to immediately figure out what things like Zanarkand and Sin are, as they're just names -- and by time they introduce you to headier concepts (like the fayth) you've already been inducted in the world. FFXIII expects you to understand what Fal'cie and L'cie are right off the bat in a way that no one possibly can. It's an amateur storytelling mistake.
Hello my brain, how did you get out of my head.

OP
OP
NateDog

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
Thanks for the replies all, seems pretty fair especially with regard to the pilgrimage aspect of it.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember people bashing it for the lack of a playable/explorable world map like the previous games. A lot of people here don't remember that though. Sort of how people bashed the hell out of MGS2 when it came out, but now people look back at it fondly as some brilliant game that everyone loved.
People did complain about it, but it was far from a dealbreaker for the vast majority because of how great the game otherwise was. FFXIII is a million times worse in regards to those complaints, and also worse at everything FFX did right. That is why it rightfully is dumped on.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
FFX was a lot beter received, but it had a lot more working in its favour in general. It was so close to the launch of the PS2 that it was able to capitalise on that hype and momentum. The increased fidelity and inclusion of voice acting was able to compensate for many shortcomings compromises made along the way. It was also going back to the style of FF7 and 8, which which the contemporary Final Fantasy audience was a lot more into.

When FFXIII came around, didn't really have anything to compensate with. It seemed to have negative momentum instead. You'd hear more about Square Enix struggling with HD development and their proprietary engines than the game itself. That was also off the heels of FFXII, which also had a troubled development and mixed reception. Finally the devs were somehow also bragging about how much stuff they were cutting, which ultimately set the tone of the discourse at launch. When you prime your audience to expect a compromised game, then people will naturally look for cut corners. I suppose the whole multiplatform debacle that so many people got invested in didn't help either. I think better PR and community management could have done a lot to lessen that impact. That and these games needed to drop their minimap.

Last edited:

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
characters in 13 spend half the game splitting up to run down random hallways with no goal in mind

At least in 10 we know what the goal is and everything we do is on the road to Zanarkand

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
FFX didn't keep jumping between characters for no reason and not allowing you to switch in combat like FFXIII. The casts stick together from the beginning, so everything they experience we experience it too.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
The problem with XIIIs linearity is that it's just a vehicle for the combat. There's nothing off the beating path to discover, no NPC's who further illuminate what's up with the world, nothing. While it narratively makes sense in both games (you are on the run for a majority of the time in one game and on a pilgrimage in another), it feels like much more of an issue in XIII than it did in X.

I personally don't have an issue with XIII's linearity but I get why people would

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I dont really mind the linearity in either game, but what I do mind is shit characters and major plot details hidden behind menus. X beats out xiii in every way possible when it comes to story telling.

Also, ten isnt as linear as 13 at all.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018

Agree with this. FFXIII was linear one ways X wasn't and a linear story was the least of the games problems.

OP
OP
NateDog

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
People should stop thinking that FFXIII was criticized ONLY because it was linear lol
I didn't say that in my OP though nor did I say that they're both the same in terms of their linearity. Just that they are both quite linear and if people disliked that about X.

Oct 25, 2017
Wakayama
No, it wasn't as bad for numerous reasons.

1) X's Story is a pilgrimage, which helps the idea of a somewhat linear track fine (esp. because once the pilgrimage is over, no more linear design)
2) X is well paced. XIII's pacing is atrocious..
3) X's gameplay systems give you full control. XIII waits about 15-20 hours before it decides you're ready for proper control.
4) X's world building is integrated naturally. XIII just gives you a glossary.

Personal opinion: Chapters 1-10 of XIII feel like they took a 4-5 hour tutorial and stretched it as thin as possible because it's clear that despite being in development for 3 years or so, it wasn't until the final stretch that they had any idea what they were making. I think the director even said as much? Like how they didn't know what the game was gonna be until they made the demo for the ACC BD? It shows.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
It's not nearly as bad a game as XIII, but I remember a lot of people not being happy with it (me included). It was the first game where people weren't unanimously enamored with it. I bet the same happened with VIII but I have no recollection of any backlash with that game.