• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Feb 22, 2018
I was just browsing my library, and noticed I still own this game and haven't gotten around to playing it. I feel like it's easy to forget about this game though, because no one really talks about it anymore.

Back when Type-0 was a Japan only PSP game, it felt like one of those games everyone was dying to play, and there was hope that it would eventually get translated. I feel like we got even better with a version of it being on current consoles, not to mention an HD upgrade. I know the visuals might not have been up to par to some other current gen games, but it was a PSP game redone basically. Even still, I always thought it had a cool look.

I sadly never played it much, I played it briefly when it came out, and remember being shocked at how bloody the opening was for a game with Final Fantasy in the title. Pretty sure this is the only one with M rating, and it shows in the opening. As soon as the game came out though, I felt like I heard mixed reactions to it. I remember hearing it was the kind of game you needed to do multiple playthroughs, but that's all I heard really. I got distracted at the time from my attempt to play it, and haven't ever gotten beyond the opening parts.

As I found this game in my library again, I realized that I never hear anyone talk about this game anymore. Like not even a mention, and especially not being directly talked about. Does anyone out there like this game? Is it even worth my time to play?

MrLuchador

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
I really enjoyed it.

As long as you remember it is a PSP port then you shouldn't be too disappointed. The story is decent, the characters are good, the combat is different. It's one of the few FF game that I've wanted more of. It would have been nice if they had been able to develop certain ideas further, but I understand they couldn't due to the nature of the release.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I loved it when it came out here on the PSP and I honestly don't get the hate it gets here.
You just have to remember that it's a portable game, so areas themselves are quite small and that you have to finish it at least twice to get the most of it.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
It's terrible. I thought it was going to be another Crisis Core type of thing where the game is flawed, but still highly enjoyable. I was wrong.

The score is fantastic though.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
It's... not great? As a PSP game its limited, the combat is stiff, the characters are mostly trite and bland anime people, the writing is kinda not good. It has some interesting concepts at least?

It's mediocre at best.

Oct 25, 2017
I platinumed it, but it's still a 7/10 game at best. I think the hype for it was a good psp game we didn't get to play. By ps4 standards it's only ok.

The story is great in theory but the way the story is told is disjointed and a mess. Cut scenes starting and ending abruptly. It had a lot of potential for sure.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. It has some remarkable elements in the "for a portable" category but it is really not a very good game.

If you want a good action RPG that was constrained by portable limits that got modern versions, just get Ys VIII.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
I want FF Type-1 unconstrained by hardware limitation (seriously though, I think I read in Wikipedia, the team actually pushes PSP to the limit with Type-0).

Tabata, pls.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Not really. Can't even really remember anything about the game except it was an easy Platinum and the story was kinda dark.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't really become playable until PC release and fixing the camera + motion blur for me. I bought the PS4 version for the FFXV demo originally and the game was one of the few I've ever played to give me severe motion sickeness.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
No. The level design is linear and dull and the combat just isn't very interesting. You also have to do boring side quests or abuse a system for leveling up your characters. It's also a very lazy remaster and one of the worst looking retail games I've played this gen. It has a few interesting ideas but it never really amounts to anything. The story is mediocre and the characters and voice acting are sub-par for the most part.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't get far thanks to the dire writing and characters. Gameplay wasn't compelling either.

JoDa

Jan 12, 2018
It's aight, I think the problem is that it has too many characters that you're constantly encouraged to swap around, and some of them are really not that fun to play leaving you in a position where you are locked of the character that you actually like to play as

until you find out you can literally cheese every single mission with trey and pick him regardless of the penalizations

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
It's a really portable centric game --- multiple playthrough requirement to pad the game, messy story, recycle environment, personally I really don't like the look of the HD version.
I want FF Type-1 unconstrained by hardware limitation (seriously though, I think I read in Wikipedia, the team actually pushes PSP to the limit with Type-0).

Tabata, pls.
Not before he's making 4th Birthday first!!

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good ideas bad execution. The story is interesting but bad developed, some characters seems to have some interesting story but Also bad developed. Most of the characters are Just there and i cant remember most, too much characters for little to none development.

The ending is rushed, combat IS decent nothing amazing.

A potential wasted

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I really enjoyed it.

As long as you remember it is a PSP port then you shouldn't be too disappointed. The story is decent, the characters are good, the combat is different. It's one of the few FF game that I've wanted more of. It would have been nice if they had been able to develop certain ideas further, but I understand they couldn't due to the nature of the release.
This post nails all I had to say.
I played this game after going through some ps1 final fantasies, can't remember if it was 9 or 7 now, and I remember being glad this one had that overworld map from the old times. I liked the setting a lot, characters aint that deep but i found most of them likeable, score is fantastic and it's worth playing it at least once.

I learned japanese to play this stuff on psp and know the main theme lyrics by heart.

As long as you remember it was a psp title you're good

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was so excited for it. But then it came West and I realized it was a terrible game in almost every concievable way. And I'm more baffled why the game even received remotely any positive review in Japan.

I thought this game was going to be the Persona 4 of Final Fantasy. But instead it was a train wreck.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I liked it! I actually want to get back to it as I got quite far but never fully beat it.

It's probably an 8/10 for me, maybe a 7.5/10, but in way where the setup and the way the gameplay works makes it a good deal more unique than a lot of games I would consider around that tier.

The political stuff going on is kinda intriguing, there's a surprisingly large amount of stuff to do in the home city in the way of building up connections and doing quests. I can't fully remember but there was also this really interesting world element where as a method of keeping morale up or something some of the main characters forget people they fought with who died. Just some uniquely intriguing stuff.

The huge primary cast is also interesting: on the downside it means not many people in the central cast get much time to develop, but on the other hand it's super interesting to use so many different types of people in battle.

I also remember finding it compelling and intruguing for being a real time final fantasy, but XV has certainly overshadowed that now.

Overall if you have it on hand, I say give it a shot, see what you think! I personally am anticipating going back and finishing it.

sinny

Oct 28, 2017
I got the platinum, idk why i did that...it was a bad game. Not worth the time.

Aia

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Good ideas, great concepts and overall lore but I think it's held back by the weak hardware and the result in HD is just not so great.

I really want to see Type-01, it could become a great mature spin-off series of FF.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The story is bad, the gameplay is decent, and the camera in the remake is pretty awful, extremely sensitive in the worst way. There is a lot of content though so if you end up liking the gameplay then there is a lot for you to do and enjoy.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
I enjoyed most of the game (not great, just okay), but the last part was really... well, I will just say I didn't like it.

In my opinion the last part damaged the whole game, but again, that's my personal taste.
I think the story got pretty incoherent at that point if I recall correctly.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked the gameplay and the story where I'd put only behind 12 as my favorite FF (only finished 9 and 15 as well as 12 and Type-0 tho) but it's clear I'm in the minority.

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
The story is bad, the gameplay is decent, and the camera in the remake is pretty awful, extremely sensitive in the worst way. There is a lot of content though so if you end up liking the gameplay then there is a lot for you to do and enjoy.
This sounds about right. To get the whole story, I think you have to play it twice too. Wasn't worth it, I couldn't even finish it.

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
it's a Tabata game. Best way to describe it.
The motion blur when it came out was fucking terrible. I legit could not play more than 2 hours before getting intense migrain. I'm not even exaggerating:

Like seriously what the fuck was this shit at launch? It's like the motion blur was attacking the player
2cd8d82f6253232a96969dd30155932c.png

The only good thing about it was that it came with FF XV. After you either got used to the motion blur or waited for the patch that came like 4 months later, it was a solid 6/10 game. For me that's a mediocre game, aka not really something worth paying more than $30- much like all Tabata games, it's mediocre at best

DimitriLH

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
7/10, really enjoyed it, but they should of went the full mile and put the multiplayer in it to give it more replayability, would of made it a 8/10 for me.

The ending was just.........depressing as fuck.

I think the online pc multiplayer version came out in china not long ago, was hoping they would consider bringing that here, doubt it would happen though.

Oct 27, 2017
I really wanted to like it, but I couldn't. The only thing I can say is that it has a pretty great soundtrack, but if you want that you should just play Theatrhythm Curtain Call as it has the good songs from the game, plus being in, well, a good game.

As for it's flaws, it just has a cast of character that pretty much..don't have character. Seriously, I can't even remember a single person's name besides Ace, and that's just because he's everywhere, he still has no personality or anything.

The plot makes absolutely no sense. I'm serious, each chapter has pretty much a giant plot twist and nothing ends up being coherent.

The gameplay was where you can tell they tried to put a bit more effort in, but it just comes off as clunky as almost every character besides Ace has two to four moves and that's pretty much it.

The art direction ended up being really bland too, as it was 24/7 just military operation aesthetics and nothing else.

As for the HD portion, they did a really meh job on that too with some models being upscaled while others looking no different than the PSP versions.

Overall, it just felt messy. But, it did show some potential, and I'm excited to see what happens with Type 1 (if that's still a thing, feels like after all the FFXV stuff is done next yera that Tabata is going to go on a well-needed break).

Another thing that I think hurt it a lot, alongside the hectic development, was the fact that there were times in the game where it was very apparent in trying to be the tie between FFXIII and what was Versus in the Fabula Nova Crystallis, not being able to do so felt like it didn't help.

Enthus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It was decent enough, especially if played in short bursts. I'll be replaying it soon, since I've barely touched my Steam copy that I bought a while ago.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was okay. It sort of hit a nice middling ground and I wish I'd experienced it portable first.

Oct 31, 2017
It's very badly designed. If the arena leveling bug didn't exist there's no way in hell I would have finished it. The game tries its absolute best to stretch out a 10-15 hour game into a 45 hour one. Double if you want to play it again to experience all the plot that was purposely omitted from the first playthrough

Deleted member 8106

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It was ok to be a portable game, I think, since missions were short, but as a main FF title was very weak. The plot doesn't make sense and the fact you need to replay the game in order to see missing cutscenes is crap. I liked the OST and the ending, anyway.

HiroTSK5

One Winged Slayer
Nov 4, 2017
Type-0 is probably my favorite game that I never want to play again, having played through the PSP version twice not knowing any Japanese but reading plot synopsis's and being so enamored by the world and the themes. Even the gameplay itself was fun with the many characters that all genuinely feel different to play as backed by an amazing score.

And then the game actually came out in English and it just became a huge slog (though the ridiculously bad voice direction of the English dub certainly didn't do it any favors.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Bought it for the Duscae demo, and I didn't like it at all. Luckily I managed to sell it back for almost the same price.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
I enjoyed it but was puzzled as to why certain story-related cut scenes were relegated to a journal thingy only after beating the game, if i recall right. I admired that team of translators putting so much effort into the game (I only played the PSP vers.) when Square REFUSED to bother. Also, Nautical Cid is great.

AlexCampy89

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
A great game

PROs

-Mature and violent
-Cool summons and magic systems
-The best real time 3d fighting mechanics in a FF game, yes, even better than 12 and 15.
-Good story, albeit told in a disjointed way.
-The bad guy is great, basically Bison from Street Fighter meets Mussolini
-Great variety of characters with different styles and gameplay
-The opening and the ending are amazing
-The class scenes were good, although they were few and repetitive
-a lot of extra, secrets, easter eggs and replayability value
-Epic boss fights

CONS
-The voice acting is inconceivably bad
-The summons lack an ultimate attack
-Levelling up 14 different characters is a chore
-some characters are unbalanced
-some chatacters without ranged attacks cannot complete certain particular missions, so be sure to have at least one party member with a gun
-You cannot lose the final boss fight, not even if you try
-Too much extra content and story tidbits hidden behind second and third playthroughs.
-The RTS sections added variety, but were bad.

Veey good game on console, vreat on a portable. Honestly, on PSP only The 3rd Birthday has better graphics.