• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Too chill?

• Yes

Votes: 88 23.2%
  • No

Votes: 292 76.8%

• Total voters

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
One of the coziest and greatest rpgs ever made, made even greater if you know the numerous callbacks, musical, scenic or otherwise to the rest of the rest of the series. Just absolutely comfy and the draconian garbage that isn't balanced for boss fights at all can stay off forever. A true 10/10 especially taking S into account.

The final act gave me one of the greatest gaming moments in my entire life as a fan of DQ all the way back to the NES.

Saiyaman

Dec 19, 2017
One of the best games ever made in one of the best series ever made. I don't think the game lost its charm at any point, but I can definitely understand criticisms of act 3.

I might actually triple dip and get the game on PC.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
Its chillness is one of the main factors of it being the best jRPG of this generation (and DQ games in general are super chill, yet deceptively deep).

Rayman not Ray

Self-requested ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
One of my favorite games ever made. Now all I need to do is finish it. I can never deal with the part of a JRPG where the final boss becomes accessible, but there's a huge number of sidequests you can do first. Is it a bit of a flaw in the pacing? Maybe. Do I care? No. The game is still incredible.

Oct 27, 2017
I was pretty disappointed playing the game after hearing it lauded by many as the best JRPG in recent memory. I don't know if it was because it was too chill, but it just came across as pretty dull. It also probably didn't help that I wasn't a fan of the character designs, music, combat, or voice acting.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
It has amazing pacing.

I loved how it was designed. It's fun whether you play it for 30 minutes or 3 hours. You rarely go for an extended period of time without feeling like you moved the story or game forward.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
The chill was exactly what I needed. I could have handled it being a little tiny bit more difficult, but it was a nice break from life (played it in 2020.)

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
It was my first and last dragon quest. I have tried really hard to get into it but something about the battle system bores me.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Game went completely downhill in Act 2 for me and am honestly pretty shocked it's so lauded. The combat is pretty basic, the protagonist is complete trash, Jade was a huge disappointment as a character, the story wasn't anything too amazing either but I do think it was well voice acted for the most part (in English). Erik was terrible though. I have no idea what his actor was trying to do but his voice was ridiculous

Deleted member 75954

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jul 24, 2020
Best JRPG of this generation and it isn't even close.

...when you turn on Stronger Monsters, of course. The combat can get really intense.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Question... due to my vision I'm not going to be able to read any of the non-voiced dialogs. Menus I can probably get used to, but not NPC dialog.

Should I still play or am I missing out on a lot?

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoy how chill it is, and the vignette style of the story makes it feel really cozy like watching a children's cartoon.

I am taking a break after finishing Act 2 currently and am seeing a lot of disdain for Act 3 in here - what's the deal here? Also, is it a full Act of similar length to 1 and 2 it is it more of an epilogue?

mingo

Oct 25, 2017
London
The first DQ game I've played properly (played some others for like less then 1hr) and will probably the last DQ I'll play. It just seemed very generic and too safe, at times it was good and other just so boring. Don't get started on that awful repetitive soundtrack. I did finish the game including the last act. Glad I played on on GP. Wouldn't of been happy if I bought it! So many better RPG games I've played over this.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
I really enjoy how chill it is, and the vignette style of the story makes it feel really cozy like watching a children's cartoon.

I am taking a break after finishing Act 2 currently and am seeing a lot of disdain for Act 3 in here - what's the deal here? Also, is it a full Act of similar length to 1 and 2 it is it more of an epilogue?

It's a full act that ties up loose ends and does something very important, but people get kind of mad at how it gets there even though I really don't believe it does anything wrong and people are just weird about it.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I don't care that much for the battle system or the soundtrack, but the game pulls me in with its sense of adventure. Playing it at max settings on a PC doesn't hurt either. It's a beauty, well at least the original version is. It has some of the best towns in an RPG I've seen in years.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if "too chill" is as accurate as "arguably too long". I absolutely loved it, but could see how its structure/length could be off-putting to certain players.

Vibed

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Way too vanilla in both gameplay and style for me, first DQ, 100%ed it on Draconian Harder Monsters.

Nov 4, 2017
I like it better than what the FF series has become, but it IS very chill. I think I got about half way through before other stuff got in my way. I'll get back to it when I need some videogame comfort food.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I just fucked up so bad and I'm so mad. I had been playing this on my switch, took a break, and was about to get back into it. My switch said there was a save data conflict. The save in the cloud was newer. So I downloaded it.

Wiped out so much progress. I'm back to like 5 hours into the game. I know I wasn't SUPER far, but how far into it was it?

I was doing some tournament in a city. I think it was the first city you go to after you get the boat and can sail around. Now I'm allll the way back to when you first go through the gate and rescue the mage girls. God I'm so mad.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, the chillness highlights some of the more somber moments so they land pretty effectively.

thedorkknight

Oct 25, 2017
Not chill. Just incredibly dull. Made it to 40 hours and couldn't push through. Probably will be my first and last DQ game.

Inventory management? Tedious.
Storyline? Vanilla and predictable.
Music? If I have to hear that overworld theme again it'll be too soon.

The game is absolutely gorgeous, I'll give it that. Your party, aside from the lifeless soulless main character, is great as well (Sylvando and Jade FTW). If you enjoy the game, all power to you! Just not my cup of tea. But honestly thank you to the people in this thread saying it's dull - I thought I was missing something lol.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
It was a solid 7 the entire way through for me. I loved the graphics and charm of it but it really did not need to be as long as it was

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to enjoy it. And there were parts that I did but I just couldn't finish it. I've tried again a few times but so far none have been successful.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Wiped out so much progress. I'm back to like 5 hours into the game. I know I wasn't SUPER far, but how far into it was it?

I was doing some tournament in a city. I think it was the first city you go to after you get the boat and can sail around. Now I'm allll the way back to when you first go through the gate and rescue the mage girls. God I'm so mad.

The game is divided into 3 acts (with the 3rd act being the post-game content which is actually very meaty & has a lot of new story). I'd say you were somewhere between 50-66% done with act 1.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
More than chill it was boring. Everything in the game lacks impact: story is mostly boring, combat is too basic, music is repetitive, map/dungeon design has nothing to offer, main character that can't even show the most basic of emotions. Polished game but boring and lacking imagination or exciting mechanics, I play JRPGs all the time and DQ XI was the first one in years that I was close to drop a couple of times. In fact between Act 1 and Act 2 I played Torna (another JRPG) because I wanted something interesting for a while. Never tried Act III though, I was fed up with the same cities/dungeons... everything.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Loved it until Act 3 rolled in and shit all over the story. I just try to pretend it ended after Act 2 lol.

Act 3 is the most important part of the entire story, both for the game because it actually answers all of the questions that were brought up in the first two parts but also for the series as a whole. It's like THE best part.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Games like Persona 5 or Trails of Cold Steel (despite being rather long and slow too) were much much more enjoyable imo.
Absolutely. Cold Steel games (and all Kiseki games) are really really slow and long, but at least you are getting constant world-building, interesting NPC dialogue and a sense that the world you are exploring is a real place. Characters evolve and conflicts (small and big) are constantly introduced. I remember 1 or 2 memorable story arcs from DQ XI but everything else was too basic and simple, and having a MC tightly related with the main plot that never reacts to anything is a big flaw of the game.

Sorbete

Oct 30, 2017
If BOTW gameplay wasn't so freaking perfect Dragon Quest XI would be my game of the generation. I got depressed when I finished after 200+ hours

fade

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It continued to gain charm exponentially for me. It's the first half that takes awhile to rev up.