• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What was the most disastrous or worst game launch of all time?

• Cyberpunk 2077

• ET (Atari 2600)

• Final Fantasy XIV

• Halo: Master Chief Collection

• No Man's Sky

• Fallout 76

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ET definitely. It was partly responsible for nearly killing the console market.

Oct 8, 2019
They buried ET and Pac-man outside of Alamogordo New Mexico, they had millions of unsold cartridges because they made millions more Pacman cartridges than Atari 2600 because they thought that not only would everyone who owned an Atari 2600 would buy Pacman, they thought that millions would buy an Atari 2600 to play Pacman.

Cyberpunk 2077 sold more than Final Fantasy VII Remake before it even came out. It somewhat harmed CD Projekt Red's reputation but that will be repaired when they announce Witcher 4.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For ET they produced more cartridges than consoles that had been sold at that point, even if it had been a good game, it still would have ended up in landfills
No game would end up in a landfill fresh from the factory unless it's something no one wants. If it were a good game they'd have staggered shipments to line up with availability, it would still hold some value. In ET case, no one wanted it.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Fallout 76 was a joke of a game, with patches breaking the game even more for a whole year.
There was a new thing every week to laugh about.

But I don't think it ever breach national news like CP 2077 did. It was far from the worst, but it's the most widespread.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
ET is such a heavyweight I think it shouldn't be listed alongside the others

But then no list like this would be complete without it

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Actually Cyberpunk reminded me of Tomb Raider The Angel of Darkness...in every way.

An overambitious premise, a team that wasn't ready for it, bad management, a studio tired and crunching for years to meet insane deadlines, resulting in promised features cut, many of them you can still find leftovers in the game, bugs everywhere, etc.
Except this Tomb Raider was worse...cause you didn't have patches back then.
Imagine Cyberpunk releasing like it did but without the chance of getting patched up. That was this Tomb Raider.

So bad that Eidos took the franchise to a different studio and ended up having Core Design closed after a while.

So actually... Tomb Raider was worse.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it was E.T., but I'll add a few more options for fun:

- Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
- Alone in the Dark (2008)

I just don't think they were the most disastrous ones.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Didn't ET almost destroy the nascent games industry? Also I feel like any number of games that failed enough to shutdown their studio would probably be worse.

Lawbreakers was pretty bad, basically every game Amazon has published, Daikatana was pretty bad, Tabula Rasa... Cyberpunk being pretty successful financially I think knocks it out of the running for worst launches. I guess you could make a case with the lawsuits and that, but I guess it depends on how that goes.

OP
OP
Border

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, because everyone and their mother thought it would be the greatest game ever.
They made a fuckload of money. Have the sales slowed down since?
Well yeah, I think for Cyberpunk it's more about the expectation of quality versus the actual product delivered. People can define a "disastrous launch" however they like, but I don't think people were expecting ET or FFXIV to be one of the "all time greatest" like they were with Cyberpunk.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's ET and its not even remotely a competition here. The rest were shaky launches. ET was an absolute disaster in every aspect that sent ripples through the whole industry.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Not really.

Financially speaking, the game still sold like crazy even after taking refunds into consideration. Talking about the quality of the game itself, it was nowhere near as bad as stuff like Anthem, Fallout 76, etc. at launch. The base last gen console versions were unacceptable but they weren't unprecedented. At least you could finish Cyberpunk. Skyrim on the PS3 became an unplayable mess after 40+ hours. And it took months to get it "fixed". CD Projekt Red definitely took a massive hit in terms of consumer trust but I'm not sure if they're in a worse spot than developers like Bioware and Bethesda were after the launch of Anthem and 76. Time will tell.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Should've been. Still sold extremely well. Fallout 76 takes the cake. They murdered that game completely right off the bat.
It's ET and its not even remotely a competition here. The rest were shaky launches. ET was an absolute disaster in every aspect that sent ripples through the whole industry.
Industry's scale was smaller, though.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I think it was E.T., but I'll add a few more options for fun:

- Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
- Alone in the Dark (2008)

I just don't think they were the most disastrous ones.
Oh yeah, and that was back when Sonic wasn't such a joke/meme like it kinda is now. Sonic 06 was a hyped up debut on the newest consoles and it was absolutely godawful.

A lot of posters are either quite young, or there's some serious recency bias going on.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
It's gotta be ET. You can't get a launch much worse than literally ending up in landfills and almost taking the industry with it.

I have to imagine all these CP77 votes are just cuz it's so fresh and people still feel super super burned by it, cuz yeah it was a disaster but there is a gulf of difference between the near industry-wrecking consequences of ET's failure and CP77 getting pulled off PSN.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 31, 2017
I haven't played this game, I've only seen some video footage of the game itself and some impressions from some people.

But based on the things I've seen/read, considering the pre-release hype, the years long wait, the extremely tight marketing to paint the game as strong as possible without exposing the faults; I think the only other game comparable is E.T. for the Atari 2600.

I wasn't alive for E.T., but it did almost cause a big section of the industry's market to collapse as a result, just as the industry was really starting to grow.

But in terms of hype and in modern context, I do think it was probably the most disastrous launch within the modern game industry, even without having actually played it myself. Especially so when you consider the good will they'd garnered among consumers after their last release.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Mostly unplayable due to unnecessary online features, and eventually lead to the downfall of Maxis
And there was plenty of hype because it was a huge step-up to 3D graphics.

I don't see how something like Cyberpunk even remotely compare, yet it's the subject of this thread and stuff like SimCity isn't even listed.

OP
OP
Border

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love how all the options are essentially current gen games except ET lol
It's not exactly a coincidence that the worst game launches are titles from an era when developers could release a broken, unfinished, unpolished project and hope to fix it through patches later on down the line. Back in the time of physical games, there was a real and forseeable consequence to selling a busted-ass game. I certainly thought about games from the 16/32/64-bit era that were as busted and disastrous as Cyberpunk, but I really couldn't come up with anything that remotely equaled it.

The PC platform supported patches and online support from the year 2000 onward, but even there I can't think of anything that was as big of debacle as Cyberpunk. I guess there's stuff like BattleCruiser or Batman Arkham Knight, but those seem like pretty small potatoes by comparison.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
Of the poll options: It's E.T due to the repercussions.

I honestly think Battlefront II (2019) may be up there. It snowballed investigations into MTX being linked to gambling, and calls for regulation.

The biggest effect is from those which affect more than just the dev/publisher involved.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Well yeah, I think for Cyberpunk it's more about the expectation of quality versus the actual product delivered. People can define a "disastrous launch" however they like, but I don't think people were expecting ET or FFXIV to be one of the "all time greatest" like they were with Cyberpunk.
It doesn't feel like the game is bad, just broken. I feel like the next-gen versions might actually be extremely welcome.

I'm curious how their next game goes. Will people trust them at launch?

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Yes and it's not even close.

Cyberpunk's failure garnered mainstream attention outside the scale of anything ever seen in the industry before (for a game being broken). For the game to effectively be recalled from the PS Store and extensive refund procesees needing to be developed, Cyberpunk is by far the most disastrous launch in gaming history.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
disliking Cyberpunk is fine, but this makes no sense... this poll, people voting for it... it really doesn't reflect reality at all....

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
The FFXIV was arguably worse than than the Fallout 76 launch because it was essentially thrown away and completely rebuilt
Cyberpunk's was a disappointing product at it's best and a scam at it's worst. E.T. is kind of hard to top though

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
It's certainly a tossup between Cyberpunk and ET. I may have been disappointed by Halo MCC, but it mostly worked, whereas Cyberpunk barely did and ET almost destroyed our industry.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
ET aside, Cyberpunk, Master Chief Collection, Mass Effect Andromeda, Fallout 76, and Final Fantasy XIV are all kind of in the same tier.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
Yes and it's not even close.

Cyberpunk's failure garnered mainstream attention outside the scale of anything ever seen in the industry before (for a game being broken). For the game to effectively be recalled from the PS Store and extensive refund procesees needing to be developed, Cyberpunk is by far the most disastrous launch in gaming history.
If Nintendo hadn't shown up, E.T. would have been the bullet at the end of the sentence that killed the American video game market

If you wanna talk about "disaster"...

Additions
OP
OP
Border

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've added Diablo 3 and Simcity (2013) to the list of "Other" options. I don't think they are top contenders since they were mostly functional at launch (given good networking conditions). That said, they are worth considering due to the damage they did to their respective franchises.

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
Cyberpunk was recalled from the PS store. This isn't even a question. Don't understand people being shocked by the vote for Cyberpunk, some even using sales to show it was not a failure. In fact, the high sales for the game are even worse in the context of how broken the game is.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
I've added Diablo 3 and Simcity (2013) to the list of "Other" options. I don't think they are top contenders since they were mostly functional at launch (given good networking conditions). That said, they are worth considering due to the damage they did to their respective franchises.
You should add Aliens Colonial Marines to that
If Nintendo hadn't shown up, E.T. would have been the bullet at the end of the sentence that killed the American video game market

If you wanna talk about "disaster"...
Thing is, E.T. wasn't the cause of that. It was a symptom of problems in general within the industry at the time. E.T. would've been the final nail in the coffin, sure, but to blame it on E.T. alone is missing the forest for the trees

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Cyberpunk is close, and depending on the court cases it might be number one.

But it's ET. It took the whole damn industry with it.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
But Nintendo did show up. This isn't really a conversation of what ifs, is it?
Sure, but Cyberpunk didn't almost kill the entire industry and contribute materially to our landfill problem

I wouldn't even call it the biggest modern disaster; that'd probably be Alien Colonial Marines or Fallout 76 or Sonic 06

Smokeymicpot

Oct 25, 2017
But Nintendo did show up. This isn't really a conversation of what ifs, is it?

No it is not. But are there video games coming out next week? It didn't crash a market. The game will be patched and the game sold a ton on PC where the game actually works. The console versions will be patched if it done right chances will be GOTY of this year.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
Ff14 was just terrible at launch.

never before had a pay to play mmo had to go free as the developer completely reinvisoned the game and relaunched.

but in the end they made a great experience in ARR.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I think it was, due to the sheer amount of insane hype that existed pre-launch, to the point that people who never played the game bullied the few reviewers who dared to give it less than great review scores--and then the disastrous launch that became a meme.