• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I said several things to the cashier and the doordash delivery driver and I'd have gone even further if I didn't absolutely need more chicken. It took me a minute to realize what she was doing moving stuff out of my bags into the other.

all they did was mumble- and I tipped generously before it happened. I was STEAMED

bruh wtf, I would've gone off on them, that aint acceptable.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The woman has all the right to be upset, the cussing is wrong but I will never understand why people get upset at reviews,dislikes,etc.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
No, the issue is a systemic one. Education access, job market, housing and living costs, mean that low-qualification, low-pay jobs are the only option for a lot of people. And when that pay is below minimum wage unless you take additional risks upsetting people, where does the personal responsibility actually lie? Did OP fail their personal responsibility because a customer was upset? Or did they succeed in being responsible because taking those risks is necessary to make rent and afford groceries, pay for insurance, etc? When you take into account the challenges and complexities of the distribution of these costs, the real holders of responsibility, and the way in which all the odds are stacked against the worker in the lowest position on the social ladder, all of your arguments break down.

If I ordered my food and looked at my app and saw you grabbed my food from the restaurant 5-7 minutes from my home and it arrives 45 minutes later, that isn't anyone's fault but yours.

Doesn't matter what excuses you make.

Apath

Oct 25, 2017
The woman has all the right to be upset, the cussing is wrong but I will never understand why people get upset at reviews,dislikes,etc.
OP could lose their right to drive for Doordash if their reviews are low enough. You really can't sympathize with being upset at a negative review which could impact your livelyhood?
Are you being serious?
I haven't laughed this hard in a while.
Yes? I delivered pizza for five years, my brother delivered for Papa Johns in college, and I know numerous people from my time delivering who ran kitchens or drove delivery. If a place is holding food for an extra 20 minutes then the place is being mismanaged.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So exactly my point. Once you have the food, why are you stopping anywhere else expect that persons front door? Nobody forced anybody to take orders.
...the pizza guy has probably already stopped at another place before yours. That's how delivery service works.
Papa Johns won't hold an order for 20 minutes in order to group up multiple orders for delivery. They also won't group orders that aren't roughly on the same route.
Looooooooool yes they would they do that shit all the time. I feel like the only way you would say this is if you've never worked food service/delivery.

Apath

Oct 25, 2017
...the pizza guy has probably already stopped at another place before yours. That's how delivery service works.

Looooooooool yes they would they do that shit all the time. I feel like the only way you would say this is if you've never worked food service/delivery.
The "Loooooool" really drives your point home. My apologies -- I will forget my experiences.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
The instant i got to the 2nd restaurant and they were saying that it was going to be a bit i would have left immediately to deliver the first order. By the time you delivered that order and came back it would be ready. Time management is key.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP could lose their right to drive for Doordash if their reviews are low enough. You really can't sympathize with being upset at a negative review which could impact your livelyhood?

And what the customer should do? Her experience with OP was bad. OP should have gone to deliver her order while the other order was being prepared, that is what I would have done.

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Inflammatory comparisons
If I ordered my food and looked at my app and saw you grabbed my food from the restaurant 5-7 minutes from my home and it arrives 45 minutes later isn't anyone's fault but yours.

Doesn't matte what excuses you make.
If all you do is narrow your view to only the the things that affect you in those few moments, sure. That's what personal responsibility is all about, why it's appealing like people to you.

You probably also think black men deserve to be shot by cops for not complying. They weren't personally responsible enough. They made the wrong choice.

You probably think LGBT+ people deserve to get fired from their job for not hiding who they are. If they were personally responsible, they'd know better and lie to avoid punishment. Gotta make the right choice in the moment.

And everyone who uses drugs should be in jail too, right?

This type of thinking, where only the effect matters and never the cause, where the roots of all problems are ignored because your individual convenience isn't catered to, is genuinely one of the worst sicknesses of our society. Fuck you got mine, everything else is excuses.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The "Loooooool" really drives your point home. My apologies -- I will forget my experiences.
Your experiences working food service and delivery? If so then why would you say a pizza place doesn't leave your finished pizza sitting for 15 minutes while waiting to group up orders? They absolutely do that, all the time

Apath

Oct 25, 2017
And what the customer should do? Her experience with OP was bad. OP should have gone to deliver her order while the other order was being prepared, that is what I would have done.
I think you are mistaken on my point. I wasn't arguing the customer wasn't justified or shouldn't give a bad review, only that it's understandable the OP would be upset by receiving a poor review.
Your experiences working food service and delivery? If so then why would you say a pizza place doesn't leave your finished pizza sitting for 15 minutes while waiting to group up orders? They absolutely do that, all the time
I do like how we are creeping the amount of time down from 20 minutes to 15. Why lower the number if my first statement were "Looooool" worthy?

And yes, typically the kitchen would wait 10 minutes maximum for a second order.

Jun 22, 2019
Yes? I delivered pizza for five years, my brother delivered for Papa Johns in college, and I know numerous people from my time delivering who ran kitchens or drove delivery. If a place is holding food for an extra 20 minutes then the place is being mismanaged.

I mean you don't wanna push all the way to 20 mins, but it still happens, and in general, food is commonly held at least for a little while to stack up orders.

Also mismanagement is widespread. Pretty much everywhere.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
When I did pizza delivery i had to manage time like this. I have to look at the map and decide if i can take these 3 orders in time or should i just do 2. It all depends on how old the orders are and distance between them. You learn time management quickly.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Their employer straight up recommended that they make that choice. OP didn't independently decide to pick up the 2nd offer on a whim. What is so hard to understand about this?
OP chose to take on a second order, knowing they already had a LARGE $90 order pending. Once you pickup that order, the clock is ticking and the customer knows exactly where you are. You are not compelled to take every order presented to you. This isn't one extra value meal from McDonald's, $90 is a lot of food and OP should have had enough common sense to decline.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

20 minutes is probably on the long side for a delivery focused chain like papa John's, but 10-15 minutes is normal. The thing you are missing is that Papa John's is a place designed from the ground up for delivery service. Their entire workflow is based around delivery. When you order from DoorDash, the places you are ordering from are NOT set up for delivery. So then you get scenarios like the one OP is describing.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well you did decide to go to the second place. So it wasn't all out of your hands.

But now you take this experience and move on. The next time you'll have this experience as context for whatever decision you end up making.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think you are mistaken on my point. I wasn't arguing the customer wasn't justified or shouldn't give a bad review, only that it's understandable the OP would be upset by receiving a poor review.
Yeah but then the rant seems directed to the customer when it's not her fault.

Deleted member 23381

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If all you do is narrow your view to only the the things that affect you in those few moments, sure. That's what personal responsibility is all about, why it's appealing like people to you.

You probably also think black men deserve to be shot by cops for not complying. They weren't personally responsible enough. They made the wrong choice.

You probably think LGBT+ people deserve to get fired from their job for not hiding who they are. If they were personally responsible, they'd know better and lie to avoid punishment. Gotta make the right choice in the moment.

This type of thinking, where only the effect matters and never the cause, where the roots of all problems are ignored because your individual convenience isn't catered to, is genuinely one of the worst sicknesses of our society. Fuck you got mine, everything else is excuses.

lmao

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I do like how we are creeping the amount of time down from 20 minutes to 15. Why lower the number if my first statement were "Looooool" worthy?

And yes, typically the kitchen would wait 10 minutes maximum for a second order.
Again, Papa John's is designed for delivery. You can't expect DoorDash delivery timetables to be similar to a Papa John's because DoorDash is only used for restaurants that don't deliver. DoorDash will ALWAYS be slower, on average, than a restaurant with it's own delivery service

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
If I ordered my food and looked at my app and saw you grabbed my food from the restaurant 5-7 minutes from my home and it arrives 45 minutes later, that isn't anyone's fault but yours.

Doesn't matter what excuses you make.

This. I would also be pissed. If you had to wait 45mins for the 2nd order the least you could of done was deliver the 1st. What in the world were you doing for those 45 minutes OP?

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

giphy.gif

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is a recommendation a mandate?

Please answer the question.
Lol this is why I said you were being dense. This is such a head-in-sand approach to this issue. Obviously it's not a mandate, but technically no job is a 'mandate'; you can always quit. That's an incredibly reductive way of looking at this situation

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth

Going to ignore all the blah you posted and focus on the first.

If I order food and that the end of it then that's all that matters. My life and what occurs an hour or so after I expect to get my food isn't contingent on anyone else.

Really don't care if you don't like it because that's reality.

Now why can I say this? Simple. Many in here seem to be worries about OP but don't care about the customer.

Apath

Oct 25, 2017
Again, Papa John's is designed for delivery. You can't expect DoorDash delivery timetables to be similar to a Papa John's because DoorDash is only used for restaurants that don't deliver. DoorDash will ALWAYS be slower, on average, than a restaurant with it's own delivery service
I am responding to a point you or others made -- I am not the one who introduced pizza delivery places into the argument in an attempt to justify Doordash's model/the OP's decision to take a second order. If you need to explain why a regular restaurant's delivery services does not apply to Doordash/the OP's scenario, maybe we shouldn't bring them up?

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017

If I order food and that the end of it then that's all that matters. My life and what occurs an hour or so after I expect to get my food isn't contingent on anyone else.

Now why can I say this? Simple. Many in here seem to be worries about OP but don't care about the customer.

That's because the OP is worried about losing his job, having no income, and suffering penury, and the customer is worried about their food being cold

Oct 25, 2017
If you think this is similar then you are the one being racist and homophobic
uh huh

A little bit of understanding goes a long way. When I've had late food deliveries, the worker apologizes, I say it's fine, don't worry about it! My day isn't ruined, I'm not angry? Why? Because I understand. Things are stacked against them. Much of what their livelihood depends on is out of their control.

I've found that, in every aspect of life, this ability to connect with people in different circumstances than you helps understanding on all types of issues where inequality sits at the core. The people who can't - the ones who are quick to blame and get angry - tend not to see the various ways every kind of person who has less power has to face that blame and anger. It's no coincidence that the party of personal responsibility is also the party that opposes the rights of every minority group.

Okay, let's play your game then. Which is worse?

a) A delivery driver struggling to decide whether to upset a customer or make under minimum wage, under the uncertainty of how long the delay might be even though the computer system that controls their job recommended they take the risk, and ultimately getting yelled at and made to feel like shit

b) waiting a little longer for your food and accepting an apology

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean I think they kind of escalated that quickly but you are being ridiculous with this "you are the real racist" BS
That guy thinks OP experience is the same as the racism and homophobia PoC and gay people have to endure, he has no idea what he is talking about and sounds like he has not experienced those and it's trivializing racism and homophobia,that's pretty racist and homophobic imo.Calling someone racist is not an insult.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
How did we start with food delivery and wind up on racism? I feel like I missed some critical component of the discussion.

Either that or there are some crazy people in the thread. Apparently the 1 star rating is reserved for deliveries where someone's child or pet were run over by the driver.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am responding to a point you or others made -- I am not the one who introduced pizza delivery places into the argument in an attempt to justify Doordash's model/the OP's decision to take a second order. If you need to explain why a regular restaurant's delivery services does not apply to Doordash/the OP's scenario, maybe we shouldn't bring them up?
They were brought up to illustrate how the suggestions of "just take one order at a time" are ridiculous and unrealistic. Not to suggest that DoorDash and Papa John's delivery are the same. All delivery services require drivers to take multiple orders at once because otherwise the process is so inefficient that it loses money. DoorDash is just way more inefficient than regular delivery services because it's based around delivering for restaurants that are not set up for delivery.

If you think I'm justifying DoorDash's business model then you aren't really reading my posts; I'm saying the opposite, that their model is unsustainable.

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't precisely your fault, but you must take responsibility, you did accept the 2nd pickup. It is never acceptable to insult people but 90 bucks for cold food also sucks.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
From the comfort of their front lawns and foyers, these customers are cussing out stressed-out, financially-pressed delivery drivers? Where is the sense? Seems like an especially ill-advised stunt to pull when the target of your temper flare-up knows exactly where you live. I'm not saying the thread OP is going to retaliate. But it seems these customers are taking unnecessary chances escalating things like that. This whole scenario feels like the first ten minutes of a made-for-Netflix horror movie.

OP
OP
DrScruffleton

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
This. I would also be pissed. If you had to wait 45mins for the 2nd order the least you could of done was deliver the 1st. What in the world were you doing for those 45 minutes OP?
I wasn't waiting for 45 minutes at the restaurant. This is something someone made up and everyone started repeating each other. I said early on in this thread I waited at the second restaurant for about 25 minutes, the rest was all driving time between places.

45 minutes was leaving the first restaurant, driving to second, waiting, then driving to customers house

Oct 28, 2018
OP chose to take on a second order, knowing they already had a LARGE $90 order pending. Once you pickup that order, the clock is ticking and the customer knows exactly where you are. You are not compelled to take every order presented to you. This isn't one extra value meal from McDonald's, $90 is a lot of food and OP should have had enough common sense to decline.

Sounds like you fundamentally don't understand the business model. Doordash wants multiple orders to be picked up at once, they're not profitable otherwise. Have a problem with it take it up with them, not OP.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
uh huh

A little bit of understanding goes a long way. When I've had late food deliveries, the worker apologizes, I say it's fine, don't worry about it! My day isn't ruined, I'm not angry? Why? Because I understand. Things are stacked against them. Much of what their livelihood depends on is out of their control.

I've found that, in every aspect of life, this ability to connect with people in different circumstances than you helps understanding on all types of issues where inequality sits at the core. The people who can't - the ones who are quick to blame and get angry - tend not to see the various ways every kind of person who has less power has to face that blame and anger. It's no coincidence that the party of personal responsibility is also the party that opposes the rights of every minority group.

I understand where you're going with this, but I honestly think you are being too optimistic to imagine that people who understand racism, homophobia, etc. also understand classism. I don't think that's consistently true in either direction. Actually it's kind of a big problem!

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That guy thinks OP experience is the same as the racism and homophobia PoC and gay people have to endure, he has no idea what he is talking about and sounds like he has not experienced those and it's trivializing racism and homophobia. That's pretty racist and homophobic imo.Calling someone racist is not an insult.
No, he's saying that if you ignore the systemic issues in worker exploitation then it's more likely that you are ignoring systemic racism and bigotry in other forms. That's not trivializing racism and homophobia, it's simply drawing a comparison to how 'personal responsibility' is used to justify worker exploitation just like it is to justify racism and other forms of bigotry.

Oct 25, 2017
That guy thinks OP experience is the same as the racism and homophobia PoC and gay people have to endure, he has no idea what he is talking about and sounds like he has not experienced those and it's trivializing racism and homophobia,that's pretty racist and homophobic imo.Calling someone racist is not an insult.

I did not fucking say it's the same. And I'm bi so come on. What I said is that the type of thinking that likes to place blame rather than consider the systems at play is the type of thinking that reinforces and excuses lots of different types of discriminatory action.

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
25 minutes is still a hell of a wait time to not contact the first customer and try to pre-emptively take the heat out of the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.