• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
OP is my food was 45 minutes late I'd give you 1 star too, even ignoring how it was your decision to go get a second order.
Remember the human. With these apps, remember you are giving a human being one star, not a company. Hypothetical situation: Someone is on their way to deliver your food, and they get robbed, or they get in a car accident. Or, they get a call a family member died, or their arm, whatever, just life stuff that happens. They are therefore late with your order. Do you give them one star if you are ignoring *any* context as to why your food was late?

Wolfe

Banned
Sep 3, 2018
Yeah honestly I put more fault on someone making a near 100 dollar order through a food delivery app. I feel for them that they got their food late and it was cold, but these businesses are literally built around exactly the type of thing OP made this thread about, picking up multiple deliveries off of one initial order.

If you're spending that much and it's for something semi important or whatever, maybe go pick it up yourself or order from a place that does their own deliveries.

OP
OP
DrScruffleton

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
The restaurants have to figure out a way to inform the apps when the food will be ready to pick up accurately.
I agree, but most restaurants I've been to despise any delivery service. They don't even treat us as people. One restaurant told me I couldn't sit down on their bench because it was for people waiting for a table, when there was nobody else waiting. We are prioritized last over everything else it feels like. So I don't think that aspect will ever get better. Customers are not informed of delays at the restaurants. As a driver I am given a pick up by time, but that is hardly ever correct.

When the app tells me that ETA's will be updated, and it apparently doesn't, that is frustrating

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
Remember the human. With these apps, remember you are giving a human being one star, not a company. Hypothetical situation: Someone is on their way to deliver your food, and they get robbed, or they get in a car accident. Or, they get a call a family member died, or their arm, whatever, just life stuff that happens. They are therefore late with your order. Do you give them one star if you are ignoring *any* context as to why your food was late?
Well I know the context for this situation and I know that the driver went to get another person's order without even texting me about the situation then not even apologizing over fucking me over.

So don't try to make this an empathy issue when we know it was OP who got greedy and played himself.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Man, the people trying to put all of this on the OP can fuck right off. You're ignoring the way the system is set up to be against OP and put all of the risk of the whole operation on them.

For one, OP admits that he decided to pick up the second order because it was on the way, AND the recipient of the second order was on the same street as the recipient of the first order.
  • OP only had enough information to know that they could get the second order and deliver both on time
  • OP had NO way of knowing that the restaurant would be late with the order, and once he was there, he's kind of stuck
  • The system is clearly set up so that most of the risk falls on OP. He pays for his own gas, so of course he's prioritizing picking up the second order before delivering the first. It saves him money on gas and gets him both tips.
OP's post is an example of why the gig economy sucks ass. DoorDash should design its system better so that OP can make a better decision in situations like this. I also can't fault OP for thinking that he'd be able to get the second order and deliver both on time because, again, he didn't have enough information to think it would be otherwise.

Best suggestion I can make to OP is to be careful about this situation in the future. But it isn't your fault, man. And I get that you need to make money. You were put in a shitty situation by DoorDash. I think the other thing you could have done was text the first recipient ahead of time.

Yeah, I'd be pissed if I'd ordered that much food. But hey, I've worked in customer service and would at least try to hear the delivery person out. And then I'd reconsider using that service in the future, not because the delivery driver was bad, but because the service itself isn't designed well.

Reading some really fucked up takes in this thread and it really bothers me.
You're really saying that you wouldn't give them a 1 star review even after hearing the whole story? I can understand where OP is coming from, but they're still deserving of that 1 star review.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY

But that didn't happen here.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
The risk isn't just on the employee/contractor. That customer is less likely to use DD in the future after this experience, and likely to give bad word of mouth to friends.

Since the employee/contractor pays their own gas, it makes very little difference to the company whether OP accepts the second order because it's going to the same street as the first order, or whether someone else accepts the order.

The customer being less likely to use DoorDash is on DoorDash for designing the system the way they did. This is the result of most of the risk being put on the OP. OP ends up making a quick, hasty cost/benefit decision on whether to pick up the second order or not based on limited information.

Again, the gig economy sucks ass and in the end everyone (except the company running it) loses. OP loses for having limited info making deliveries and getting a 1 star review as a result of this shitty situation, and customer gets their food late. I blame the way the system is designed for this problem, not OP.

"If you want to have a good experience, don't use our service."

Again, that's on DoorDash for designing the service to be the way it is. It's a shitty situation for everyone involved (except DoorDash).

You're really saying that you wouldn't give them a 1 star review even after hearing the whole story? I can understand where OP is coming from, but they're still deserving of that 1 star review.

Probably 2-star at worst. I remember my shitty customer services experiences and I try to give them the benefit of the doubt, unless the person providing the service is being an outright asshole. Doesn't sound like OP was being like that in this situation.

konka

Oct 25, 2017
These services sound terrible for everyone involved. No interest in using them. I picked up food at a Mexican place like 10 minutes from my house last night and the owner was telling me how they deliver now. Nope.

You're best off just ordering delivery from a place that employs delivery drivers.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I don't blame the customer at all. I blame the second restaurant for everything.
I don't think this is unreasonable- had the second restaurant fulfilled their contract by having the food ready at the appropriate time like you were told, things would have worked out. The point of failure in the system (besides the whole issue of wages and business model) came at that moment overall. However, I do want to ask this: When you got to the second restaurant and the food was not ready, did you wait there for it while knowing the other food was going to be late, did you have the option to tell the restaurant at that point "Look, I have another order I have to deliver, I will have to come back". From the way you describe it, it seems like you must have waited at the second restaurant for a significant amount of time.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
I bet lots of people getting spit in their food etc if they have to tip before delivery. Or probably not, they would assume they are giving cash when they get to address.
On postmates they arent even supposed to give cash tips. Once I mark the order as delivered on my end they are prompted to complete the order on their end and add a tip. Yeah sometimes you get shafted but postmates has a guaranteed total (it usually assumes a tip is like 3 bucks) so you at least get that + fee + miles + wait time. Where the customer also tips good you can make some good money

OP
OP
DrScruffleton

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Ive also worked in the service industry and also understand how shit works. I'm sorry but Op is at fault here. He knew the risk, he knew how this system works, and it fucked him over.

Further in hindsight, had he just done the first delivery, and then took the second one, he likely would have gotten a good rating, would have been tipped, and still had time to do the second order given how long he said it took them to get that order ready.
You can't wait to take an order. You have like 50 seconds to accept an order or it auto declines for you

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
To be fair, if I ordered £90 worth of food and it was 45 minutes late I'd be pissed too.

konka

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah honestly I put more fault on someone making a near 100 dollar order through a food delivery app. I feel for them that they got their food late and it was cold, but these businesses are literally built around exactly the type of thing OP made this thread about, picking up multiple deliveries off of one initial order.

If you're spending that much and it's for something semi important or whatever, maybe go pick it up yourself or order from a place that does their own deliveries.

You've never ordered food with a group of friends or for a family clearly....

Oct 28, 2017
Or in this case they chose to take a risk while sitting on a $90 order.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
I don't do 1 -stars. The rating system is so harsh. I worked somewhere that used the NPS 1-10 system where anything below a 9 was a fail and you would need something like sixteen 10's to get out of the hole for the month.
Yes, that was misleading before. I see a few posts up they admitted it was their choice to do the second order. That was a gamble which didn't pay off for them. I see they say it's the difference between a livable wage or not, but wouldn't a decent cash tip from delivering the $90 order quickly be very helpful with that?
from what OP said earlier in the thread. The $90 tipped the same amount as the $20 order they were picking up.

I am just trying to figure out if its worth walking in a Chipotle and grabbing one of those wall orders. Every time I use the APP i'm like "fuck what if I just take this one too?"

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

What the hell is this take? You don't even know what the circumstances were for the person placing the order and you're blaming the person placing an order for a food delivery? I get blaming DoorDash, or the whole concept of how the gig economy works, but by no means should the customer be at fault in the way you're describing.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
I have been there, but most if not all of the time it was out of my hands. Here it sounds like you had some control over the decision.

Learn from it as best you can, but you had the option to deliver their food whilst it was still warm and opted to take on more than you could do.

Ultimately from your own words, the rating hit is more important than trying to do two things at once. Worry about less pay, or losing your job? It's a shit position :(

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree, but most restaurants I've been to despise any delivery service. They don't even treat us as people. One restaurant told me I couldn't sit down on their bench because it was for people waiting for a table, when there was nobody else waiting. We are prioritized last over everything else it feels like. So I don't think that aspect will ever get better. Customers are not informed of delays at the restaurants. As a driver I am given a pick up by time, but that is hardly ever correct.

When the app tells me that ETA's will be updated, and it apparently doesn't, that is frustrating

A lot of your woes can be fixed by switching over to UberEats. I've never had issues with restaurants in my area treating me like crap, hell I just had the regional manager who was in Qdoba while I was picking up an order offer me a job delivering their catering orders. Lol This is only a side gig for me but it pays well, in addition to my full time job this past week I did driving for a few hours every day and have done the weekend rush times, made over $575 for 28 hours worth of my time.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But the context here was entirely irrelevant because it was OP's fault for taking a second order when they didn't have to. Like even had OP explained this entire thing out to a customer thats not changing the fact that his decision made the food cold and late. Added context here isn't changing the fact that OP is at fault for this decision.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
you can decline it. I always accept because it gives you a notification that it's on your route anyway and the ETA will be updated for the customers.
That's on you, then. By taking the second order, you were willing to push the first customer's ETA out trying to get some more cash.

Would you pick up a second pax on Uber if it was on the way to your first pax? She shouldn't have cursed you out, but you earned that 1-star. Don't do that again.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Or in this case they chose to take a risk while sitting on a $90 order.
Again, it wasn't presented to them as a risk. They were given instructions by their employer that it was within their time constraints.
But the context here was entirely irrelevant because it was OP's fault for taking a second order when they didn't have to. Like even had OP explained this entire thing out to a customer thats not changing the fact that his decision made the food cold and late. Added context here isn't changing the fact that OP is at fault for this decision.
Again, I was speaking in a broad sense about the willingness to rate individuals with one star ignoring context separate from this example as that poster explicitly put the context aside.

Scerick

Oct 29, 2017
This must be the reason for some of my orders being ridiculously late. I just canceled them when they were over 30 minutes late.

I had already stopped using DoorDash but this is just one more reason to steer clear of them.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be pissed too as a customer. You would be too if you were the customer. It took you 45 minutes to deliver food that was already prepared, you literally didn't do the service you were tasked to do: deliver food warm.

Deleted member 56457

Banned
May 3, 2019
As someone who does UberEATS on the side, I only pick up the 2nd order if I know I'm Close to the 1st delivery drop off. The customer only knows you picked up the food once you received it from the restaurant so I use that to my advantage so I Can Avoid customer issues. The less time they see me with the food in my car the better. Sorry you had a bad experience man try not to let that deter you from making money.

Scerick

Oct 29, 2017
So is UberEATS and or Postmates less shitty to their drivers? Or are they all pretty much terrible?

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who does UberEATS on the side, I only pick up the 2nd order if I know I'm Close to the 1st delivery drop off. The customer only knows you picked up the food once you received it from the restaurant so I use that to my advantage so I Can Avoid customer issues. The less time they see me with the food in my car the better. Sorry you had a bad experience man try not to let that deter you from making money.

Actually this has changed in some markets and customers can now see you after you've accepted an order. I don't think it has affected my market just yet but it's a shitty thing they're starting to do.

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
You are in a customer service role and you provided poor customer service. You earned the low rating.

You couldn't have known the second restaurant would be late with the order, or that they would lie about how long it would take to be ready, but it was entirely your decision to take that second order, which screwed up the first order for the customer.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Does DoorDash show the location of the driver on a map for the people that order? That woman must have just been checking the map and seeing you at another location for half an hour.

Oct 27, 2017
On postmates they arent even supposed to give cash tips. Once I mark the order as delivered on my end they are prompted to complete the order on their end and add a tip. Yeah sometimes you get shafted but postmates has a guaranteed total (it usually assumes a tip is like 3 bucks) so you at least get that + fee + miles + wait time. Where the customer also tips good you can make some good money

Interesting. Looks like postmates treats their drivers fairly well. I'll need to use that next time I order delivery.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
This must be the reason for some of my orders being ridiculously late. I just canceled them when they were over 30 minutes late.

I had already stopped using DoorDash but this is just one more reason to steer clear of them.
Wait, you can just cancel orders before they're delivered? What happens to the order, then, is the driver liable?

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Does DoorDash show the location of the driver on a map for the people that order? That woman must have just been checking the map and seeing you at another location for half an hour.
Yes. As soon as the order is picked up, the driver's location is shown. $90 is not a small order. That 1-star was well deserved.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yes you can see them once they pick it up.

As for OP. You fucked up. The 1 star is probably warranted but her reaction irl most likely wasn't.

Don't take it to heart... they aren't directly mad at you it's just the situation you put them in they don't like.

Keep at it tho, you'll figure out the best ways to handle it in the future. Most customer service shit is trial by fire.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, OP, she was right. You made a bad call in order to convenience yourself at her expense. Still, I'm sure you've learned from it so let that shit go.

OP
OP
DrScruffleton

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
But Doordash literally told him to go somewhere else? Seems like he didn't have a choice unless I'm missing something.

I've never ordered and had it happen, but from what I can find it should have told them I was picking up a different order. But the customer had no clue about that apparently when I told her

Sleuth

alt account
Banned
Jul 18, 2019
Find it weird people are blaming OP.

If its that late get Door Dash to give a refund. People saying they'd be pissed too? That makes it okay to abuse someone doing their job? Shit happens when you are getting food delivered. Its immature to just blow up on a delivery person. Grow up.

She sounds like an asshole. Delivery people doing more than one delivery at a time is common, and makes sense, is economical and more environmentally friendly. Absolutely nothing wrong with OP doing that.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
But Doordash literally told him to go somewhere else? Seems like he didn't have a choice unless I'm missing something.
Doordash gave him THE OPTION to pick up another order because he was the closest driver. He wasn't told to go there. He should have declined the second order. His nearly $100 order should have been his priority.
Find it weird people are blaming OP.

If its that late get Door Dash to give a refund. People saying they'd be pissed too? That makes it okay to abuse someone doing their job? Shit happens when you are getting food delivered. Its immature to just blow up on a delivery person. Grow up.

She sounds like an asshole. Delivery people doing more than one delivery at a time is common, and makes sense, is economical and more environmentally friendly. Absolutely nothing wrong with OP doing that.
His job is to pick up food and proceed directly to his delivery point. He didn't do that.

OP
OP
DrScruffleton

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Was there a way to deliver the first order then come back for the second order?

so apparently there is. But when drivers arrive at restaurants, they have to swipe on the app that they are there to pick up the food, they then swipe again when they have the food. I believe I would've had to do it before arriving at the second restaurant. If you abandon an order completely, for example, if a restaurant takes too long, you are also negatively impacted on the app in your completion rate stat. Which can also get you fired.

Oct 28, 2017
Again, it wasn't presented to them as a risk. They were given instructions by their employer that it was within their time constraints.

Again, I was speaking in a broad sense about the willingness to rate individuals with one star ignoring context separate from this example as that poster explicitly put the context aside.
They're given an ETA. It's inherited a risk. Do you blame Google Maps when you're late to your job because the ETA they give you was wrong or do you consider the choices that made you leave later?

Status
Not open for further replies.