• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Yep service industry sucks. I was fired from a waiter job because of a shitty chef who took forever to cook anything and used rotten ingredients. You did nothing wrong.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
why would I not look for what benefits me? I am not delivering people's meals so I can lose money. I have to pay my own gas and everything, which also would've hurt me if I had to make two trips.

I think the restaurant saying "just one more minute" was the problem here... it would be fine if you just took the food fast.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
there is literally no point for me to deliver food if I can't double up. As I said before I pay my own gas and everything. Might as well be throwing money away if I make that low amount.
Sounds like a bad job then. You should probably find a better one.

Until then though, you agreed to deliver people's food in a certain time period. Someone ordered $90 worth of food; they probably have family over or are entertaining some other sort of social gathering. You show up 45+ minutes late with a cold order.

That's not the customer's fault. It's unfair to them for their party to have cold food because the driver decided to take a second order and then wait 45 minutes for it. That's on you. You made these choices.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
updated OP

because it's apparently my fault for not wanting to make under min wage

OP this isn't a good look for you, and shows you're not learning from the mistake. The customer had as much right to give you a one star review as you did to add and prioritize a second order when you already had your one (She shouldn't have cursed you out though, obviously). It's okay. These things happen. Learn from it.

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, so? How often have you gone to a place, get told it'll be 'a minute' and 40 minutes later it's still 'a minute'?

What if he leaves, delivers the food, and the restaurant reported him to door dash stating that he left without picking up the food?

Sounds like he'll be spit roasted either way, so you might as well get spit roasted and get that bread.

Trust me, fuck customers.

"Boohoo, my food is cold after I spent $90. I spent $90! I deserve a 5 star experience! I'm gonna have to be a bitch on this guy!"

Yeah you know what I would've done? Shrug my shoulders and leave. Fuck em.
"Fuck the people who are making my job exist."

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I gotta say, I would not have screamed at you but there would have been no tip and I'd have given you a one star review too. I'd still have been polite tho. 90 bucks worth of food delivered cold is just a no-go.

I've worked for a health insurance before in CS and I know it can be shit. 8 AM in the morning a drunk dude screaming at you etc. but you should have delivered her food first..
OP is saying DD has the tip already paid in advance and the driver never gets a tip at the door, regardless of delivery service.

OP
OP
DrScruffleton

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like a bad job then. You should probably find a better one.

Until then though, you agreed to deliver people's food in a certain time period. Someone ordered $90 worth of food; they probably have family over or some other sort of social gathering. You show up 45+ minutes late with a cold order.

That's not the customer's fault. It's unfair to them for their party to have cold food because the braindead driver decided to take a second order and then wait 45 minutes for it. That's on you. You made these choices.

I don't blame the customer at all. I blame the second restaurant for everything.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
I am given a total I will make for delivering when I am given the order to accept or decline. This includes tip prepaid on the app. Both orders were for the exact same amount. I am never given tips in cash

Neither is postmates. For that app, you are given what you are guaranteed to make (basically a delivery fee) and then you can make on top of that: miles, wait time at restaurants, and the tip the customer adds via the app AFTER the order is delivered. So for each delivery I'm going to make around 10% of total plus whatever tip and such. I've made 50 bucks on deliveries easy.

Doordash makes customers tip BEFORE they get their shit? That can't be right.

OP
OP
DrScruffleton

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Neither is postmates. For that app, you are given what you are guaranteed to make (basically a delivery fee) and then you can make on top of that: miles, wait time at restaurants, and the tip the customer adds via the app AFTER the order is delivered. So for each delivery I'm going to make around 10% of total plus whatever tip and such. I've made 50 bucks on deliveries easy.

that is correct.
This is the only screen I see before accepting an order. This isn't my pic, just looked up an example

The two orders from my incident were giving me $9 each

Oct 28, 2017

Uber Eats lets you tip when you order, but then it prompts to ask you if you wanna change the tip amount after the order.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
From my cs experience, good or bad cloud your brain over and go into autopilot. Never defend yourself to a customer. Just apologize (dont mean it of course) and keep it moving. I wouldnt had even talked to that woman -- 45 minutes or an hour late. Youre the one putting miles on your car and spending gas money.

Ive had uber eats 90 MINUTES LATE before and I still rated 5 stars. I'd only rate below that if I saw they'd snuck some food. Where do some of y'all get off trying to fuck up someone's living cuz your food was cold?

Last edited:

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I drive for UberEats and they never do this with orders. Only if you're on the way to pick up they'll send you two from the same place, never a pickup after you've accepted food from a different restaurant. That's so fucked up with DoorDash and I've heard horror stories with that company, so I only do Uber.

I always ask for wait times at a restaurant if food isn't ready and if it's over 20 mins, I usually decline the order in the app. I've been that guy who has waited 30 mins for an order and have it be 2 miles away, resulting in like a $5 drop off with tip up in the air. No thanks, learned my lesson on those long wait times.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Uber Eats lets you tip when you order, but then it prompts to ask you if you wanna change the tip amount after the order.
that is correct.
This is the only screen I see before accepting an order. This isn't my pic, just looked up an example

The two orders from my incident were giving me $9 each

Okay so I'm really glad I chose post mates instead of anything else then

Y'all should drive for postmates. if you want a code hit me up.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
This is interesting to hear about Doordash matrixman92, since Uber Eats will give you orders along the way to another delivery, but will never ask you to stop and pick up that new order in between. It only sends you new ones that you go pick up once the delivery's finished. Like, they won't even show you the address of the new restaurant besides a vague dot. So I really think Doordash messed you up and has to change their policies, if it doesn't work but they allow it to happen.

And even at a certain point, if it feels like the thing is taking to long to finish then I just bail and know someone else will pick it up instead.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Eh I'd say its your fault. You took a second order and rolled the dice and it fucked you over. That customer has a right to be angry and to give you a poor review. They ordered 90 dollars of food and got it cold because you wanted to take a second order. From the sounds of the second order being on the way, you would have had ample time to drop off her food and then go grab the second order (especially because it took awhile to finish).

Like this is entirely your fault.

Wolfe

Banned
Sep 3, 2018
Uhh, I'm pretty sure it's a real bad idea to post screenshots like this since you are kinda doxxing the customer.

Edit: never mind saw late that it isn't your pic.
I mean there's no relevant info on there, it's just a screenshot showcasing the app itself.

Eh I'd say its your fault. You took a second order and rolled the dice and it fucked you over. That customer has a right to be angry and to give you a poor review. They ordered 90 dollars of food and got it cold because you wanted to take a second order. From the sounds of the second order being on the way, you would have had ample time to drop off her food and then go grab the second order (especially because it took awhile to finish).

Like this is entirely your fault.
That's kinda a shitty take, OP is trying to work and pay their bills, DD is the one that runs the company like this and it's not OPs fault that the second food place went way long on the time. Did it create a poor set of circumstances that resulted in the large order getting cold and being late? Yes, but I wouldn't say it was explicitly OPs fault, more a result of multiple factors intersecting.

Yes OP could have not taken the second order but they didn't know the second order would be late and as said above they're trying to make money not lose it.

Unfortunate situation OP, you're not totally at fault, just move on and focus on other things imo.

OP
OP
DrScruffleton

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
This is interesting to hear about Doordash matrixman92, since Uber Eats will give you orders along the way to another delivery, but will never ask you to stop and pick up that new order in between. It only sends you new ones that you go pick up once the delivery's finished. So I really think Doordash messed you up and has to change their policies, if it doesn't work but they allow it to happen.

And even at a certain point, if it feels like the thing is taking to long to finish then I just bail and know someone else will pick it up instead.

thats interesting. For example when I swiped that I picked up the food from the first restaurant. The next step the app gave me were directions to the second restaurant.

Does Uber have a rating for abandoning orders? On DD, you can get fired for unassigning orders also.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't blame the customer at all. I blame the second restaurant for everything.
Keep doing this job and you'll see the same thing happen again. That's the nature of the service industry. Sometimes shit happens at restaurants too.

You took a gamble and you lost. As a result, you probably ruined someone's evening. If you're cool with that then just smile and move on. But if you're not, chalk this up as a learning experience.

This starts getting into bootstrap territory though doesn't it?
I don't think so. It's not as if OP couldn't be an Uber driver instead of DoorDash. UberEats sounds like it has a far better compensation model that aligns the customer's interests with the driver's. OP chose this particular customer service job and then decided to provide poor service for his own financial benefit. That's not the customer's fault.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
Man, the people trying to put all of this on the OP can fuck right off. You're ignoring the way the system is set up to be against OP and put all of the risk of the whole operation on them.

For one, OP admits that he decided to pick up the second order because it was on the way, AND the recipient of the second order was on the same street as the recipient of the first order.
  • OP only had enough information to know that they could get the second order and deliver both on time
  • OP had NO way of knowing that the restaurant would be late with the order, and once he was there, he's kind of stuck
  • The system is clearly set up so that most of the risk falls on OP. He pays for his own gas, so of course he's prioritizing picking up the second order before delivering the first. It saves him money on gas and gets him both tips.
OP's post is an example of why the gig economy sucks ass. DoorDash should design its system better so that OP can make a better decision in situations like this. I also can't fault OP for thinking that he'd be able to get the second order and deliver both on time because, again, he didn't have enough information to think it would be otherwise.

Best suggestion I can make to OP is to be careful about this situation in the future. But it isn't your fault, man. And I get that you need to make money. You were put in a shitty situation by DoorDash. I think the other thing you could have done was text the first recipient ahead of time.

Yeah, I'd be pissed if I'd ordered that much food. But hey, I've worked in customer service and would at least try to hear the delivery person out. And then I'd reconsider using that service in the future, not because the delivery driver was bad, but because the service itself isn't designed well.

Reading some really fucked up takes in this thread and it really bothers me.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
First you have to accept it's your fault why their food is cold ($90 or $9). Now should she have cussed you out? Well depends what was going on. Is she just a spoiled brat, or did she have kids waiting on the food...or was she working hard before that, and needed food bad. It could be alot of reasons. BUT it was initially still your fault, so chalk it up to the game. As far as her rating you bad, well she has that right, no?

As long as you know what can happen with these jobs.. prepare yourself for all these weird tough scenarios.... you'll be equipped to handle more situations, to any situation.

As far as if you should work tonight, HELL YES you should!

Just learn from your mistake and go forward. Don't take things personal, if it's not your fault. You should be good. Also if you still feel antsy about this job, start to look for another one while still working this one.....if you're not already. You have to look out for your well beaing.

smoothj

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
OP, just put yourself in that customers shoes. Wouldn't you be pissed the delivery driver added added and order to your $90 order and caused your food to come late and cold?

I get it, you're trying to make a living, but you also dug your own hole managing this situation. Just use it as a lesson and make better decisions.

Would you have still taken the extra order now knowing how much that shitty situation affected you?

Oct 28, 2017
Man, the people trying to put all of this on the OP can fuck right off. You're ignoring the way the system is set up to be against OP and put all of the risk of the whole operation on them.

For one, OP admits that he decided to pick up the second order because it was on the way, AND the recipient of the second order was on the same street as the recipient of the first order.
  • OP only had enough information to know that they could get the second order and deliver both on time
  • OP had NO way of knowing that the restaurant would be late with the order, and once he was there, he's kind of stuck
  • The system is clearly set up so that most of the risk falls on OP. He pays for his own gas, so of course he's prioritizing picking up the second order before delivering the first. It saves him money on gas and gets him both tips.
OP's post is an example of why the gig economy sucks ass. DoorDash should design its system better so that OP can make a better decision in situations like this. I also can't fault OP for thinking that he'd be able to get the second order and deliver both on time because, again, he didn't have enough information to think it would be otherwise.

Best suggestion I can make to OP is to be careful about this situation in the future. But it isn't your fault, man. And I get that you need to make money. You were put in a shitty situation by DoorDash. I think the other thing you could have done was text the first recipient ahead of time.

Yeah, I'd be pissed if I'd ordered that much food. But hey, I've worked in customer service and would at least try to hear the delivery person out. And then I'd reconsider using that service in the future, not because the delivery driver was bad, but because the service itself isn't designed well.

OP is getting most of it because of it was first worded to make it sound like they had to do it that way, not that it was a choice. We get the motives behind the choice.

Ryaaan14

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
It's your fault for taking the second order during the delivery. I get that you're just trying to get paid but that's literally the risk u assume by doing that

I would've been fucking pissed too

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think the image is gone, but I'm not sure that it means much. You can look up publicly available tax information to see who owns houses, and phone books used to list that information too.
Just because there are ways to find that information, doesn't mean we should just be posting locations like that.

Oct 27, 2017

I bet lots of people getting spit in their food etc if they have to tip before delivery. Or probably not, they would assume they are giving cash when they get to address.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
OP is getting most of it because of it was first worded to make it sound like they had to do it that way, not that it was a choice. We get the motives behind the choice.

People in the thread giving the OP crap are operating on the information that OP had after the fact (hindsight is 20/20). They're not really considering the limited information OP had at the time, and why his decision makes sense given that limited information.

At worst, I say OP needs to learn from his experience. But I don't think this makes OP a bad delivery driver by any means.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I don't think so. It's not as if OP couldn't be an Uber driver instead of DoorDash. UberEats sounds like it has a far better compensation model that aligns the customers interests with the driver. OP chose this particular customer service job and then decided to provide poor service for his own financial benefit. That's not the customer's fault.
I guess so, depending on where they live there may be better options. I just get my hackles up when we point the finger at employees being exploited and not companies who operate on exploitative business models. From the sounds of it, he would not have made a living wage had he not accepted the order his employer gave him the okay to accept time-wise. It sucks for any person to be put in that situation, and even if you believe the OP is not a victim in this circumstance and 100% of the responsibility was on them (none on their employer), they are still a victim of having to be post in the circumstance at all, and I wish people in general (not you) would spend more time advocating against the corporations than the people caught up in just trying to get by.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
The restaurants have to figure out a way to inform the apps when the food will be ready to pick up accurately.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
These services sound terrible for everyone involved. No interest in using them. I picked up food at a Mexican place like 10 minutes from my house last night and the owner was telling me how they deliver now. Nope.

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
OP is my food was 45 minutes late I'd give you 1 star too, even ignoring how it was your decision to go get a second order.
Maybe own up to your mistake, learn from it and move on

Oct 31, 2017
If she wanted to make sure the food would be to her liking and hot she should have picked it up herself. If someone else is doing it theres a much higher chance of it not being to your liking

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Ive also worked in the service industry and also understand how shit works. I'm sorry but Op is at fault here. He knew the risk, he knew how this system works, and it fucked him over.

Further in hindsight, had he just done the first delivery, and then took the second one, he likely would have gotten a good rating, would have been tipped, and still had time to do the second order given how long he said it took them to get that order ready.

ɣGammaɣ

Oct 26, 2017
the middle of the woods
I don't know, yes you fucked up, the woman was right to be angry, one star rating sucks but otherwise nothing dramatic happened. I mean last night a customer told me, he will fuck my colleague and will throw a molotov into my workplace.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

The risk isn't just on the employee/contractor. That customer is less likely to use DD in the future after this experience, and likely to give bad word of mouth to friends.

Since the employee/contractor pays their own gas, it makes very little difference to the company whether OP accepts the second order because it's going to the same street as the first order, or whether someone else accepts the order.

Would this suggestion work in future OP? Call the restaurant while en route and ask for an honest assessment of pick-up time. Of course for a normal customer they're going to lie and say it's coming sooner, but if they've already been paid and it's a delivery service picking up, they might be more truthful? Then you might have been able to accept the second order but deliver the first order before picking it up. It would cost you some more gas, but it could keep your high rating.

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017

A suggestion if you want to accelerate your grieving is to accept your role in the situation (i.e. accepting the second order). You have your reasons for doing it, but it was still a choice you made. Had you made a different choice, the second restaurant would never have been involved in the whole thing.

Don't beat yourself up. Accept it and learn from it and move on. Believe me everyone makes regretful decisions. The internet hivemind mindset makes it hard to remember that and go easy on ourselves when there's always blaming and scapegoating.

Status
Not open for further replies.