• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Was curious 1. what an example of a famous/popular book series looks like before adaptations 2. how much the books grew after/during the show in popularity

T3EQnOj.png
OyGKPl8.png

Interesting to see how the reviews went up as more people discovered the show through the books, and personally I don't really have a radar for what exactly a "super popular book series" is unless near viral levels or already being adapted to alternative media so it was nice to see that as well

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Show kind of killed the books for me. I've tried re-reading them recently, and just can't get into them again.

I also have more interest in Winds or Winter memes than the actual book ever coming out.

kYvovXl.jpg

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Show kind of killed the books for me. I've tried re-reading them recently, and just can't get into them again.

I also have more interest in Winds or Winter memes than the actual book ever coming out.

kYvovXl.jpg

Pretty much same here. I went to listen to the books about a year ago on audio, and just didn't feel motivated to because of the show. But also because I generally hated book 4 and 5.

OP
OP

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019

kYvovXl.jpg

lmfao

Pretty much same here. I went to listen to the books about a year ago on audio, and just didn't feel motivated to because of the show. But also because I generally hated book 4 and 5.

i went in iffy on liking them, book one won me over and 2 and 3 were great, and then i stopped. so i still have love of the books

Sanguine

Jun 10, 2018
I'll be honest, I thought the books were okay, not great (and got worse as they went on) so not only was I surprised there was a show, but that it was actually popular... at least until the end. Reading the reactions around the web (I see a lot of r/freefolk stuff on Reddit pop up on the main page) make me glad I didn't bother with the show. It is interesting though to see things the other way: people who watched the show and started to read the books - I wonder what's better for them: the show ending like Season 8 or a book series that might never end?

Whipwhopper

Oct 7, 2020
I've read through some of the books and want to keep going, but it's kind of disheartening to know it could potentially never be finished

Captain_Vyse

Jun 24, 2020
Love the first 3 books. You can tell starting with book 4 that GRRM was having a difficult time. If WoW ever comes out I'd probably have to reread the the books. Been a long time, and sometimes I confuse details between the show and books.

Oct 27, 2017
I read the books that were out in the very early '00s and honestly, seeing the niche-popular fantasy nerdbooks I once read turn into the pop cultural touchstone of an entire decade was one of the most surreal experiences I've ever had.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
I'm more excited for the new HBO show than the new book because the show will actually come out in the next year or two.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I remember back when it seems like it was just my brother, a few friends, and myself who knew about the books. It was a little weird seeing the show blow up like it did.

Anyway I am at the point where I don't believe the books will get a satisfying conclusion, so lost pretty much any interest I had.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
I remember being in high school in the late 2000's and some guy in my class was talking about how great this book series was, I always wondered what his opinion was about the show.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I read the books that were out in the very early '00s and honestly, seeing the niche-popular fantasy nerdbooks I once read turn into the pop cultural touchstone of an entire decade was one of the most surreal experiences I've ever had.

Yeah. I started them in '99 and it was indeed surreal

That growing sense, over four years, that the wedding was gonna be a huge cultural event

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I cant remember if I started reading the books during season 1 or after it was over but I read them all before Season 2 started. The show definitely got me hooked in. Now we wait.... Or give up like I have I guess.

Tanerian

Feb 24, 2018
Jumped in right before Feast for Crows released.
Immediately became my favorite book series. Still eagerly await its ending, that will never come. I do believe I will get winds of winter. But Dream of Spring will remain just a dream.

Was a blast seeing my favorite book series become an amazing TV Show Adaptation.. then... whatever the opposite of a blast is when the amazing TV show Adaptation became comically horrible writing wise as soon as it exhausted source material.

Have read Thrones - Feast 5 times each, and Dance 3 times. Then countless upon countless hours reading the ASOIAF Forums and getting into all of the nitty gritty theories.

Will re-read the series again if we ever get a release date on WoW.

Its still just all excellent stuff.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I read through the series a couple years ago and am currently about half through the feast for crows audio book.

I was just wondering what I would think of the books if I didn't have an idea of where the story was headed. The books are different enough from the show that I felt like it was such a treat to read, but I don't know if the books alone could have held my attention.

Jan 31, 2018
I was gifted the first book in 2004 and was immediately hooked. But the loooong delays between releases killed a lot of the interest. And since the bulk of the most interesting plot points were revealed in the show, I can't say I'm all that interested anymore. I'll probably still read WoW, assuming it ever actually comes out, but I'll wait for paperback instead of getting it on release.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
I'm surprised Feast for Crows has such a high rating, tbh

It's undoubtedly the black sheep of the series but it has its fans.

I really enjoyed it, I'd probably give it a slight edge over ACoK but not the others.

Though I have to say it's the one I have the most trouble ranking. The rest are pretty straightforward imo.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
I'm convinced AFFC and ADWD will be widely thought of in a better light once Winds actually comes out. Feast is honestly my favorite of the 5 and encompasses so much of what I enjoy about the series. But understandably, a lot of setup that needs the payoff of Winds.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
I don't blame them for wanting to get a better delivered story.

The series ruined the books for me. I'll read the spoilers for WoW if it ever comes out but otherwise the series can fuck off if you ask me.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm convinced AFFC and ADWD will be widely thought of in a better light once Winds actually comes out. Feast is honestly my favorite of the 5 and encompasses so much of what I enjoy about the series. But understandably, a lot of setup that needs the payoff of Winds.

People get annoyed their favs aren't in Feast and ignore that it probably has the strongest prose in the series and really expands the world. Dance is just too subtle for most people, especially on a first read. Let's count the numbers of people whining about Dany chapters in Dance but also whining about her characterization in the last few seasons of the show. Almost 1 to 1 I'd wager (derp).

So good.

I guess people expect every book after Storm to just be huge dramatic bombs without realizing climaxes don't last for half a book series or more. We've now been setup for the next insanity.

...whenever it gets here.

Mar 31, 2018
I knew that the books have become much more popular because of the TV series, but I never expected it to be such a difference in the number of readers.

I was very pleased with the first four seasons of Game of Thrones, generally the first three books were well adapted (although there were some mistakes). After season 5, the show runners went their own way (although partly understandable with the amount of storylines introduced from A Feast of Crows). The self-invented storylines of the show runners were not at the level of those of the original book author, as could logically be expected.

The first books were complete and excellent. A Feast of Crows and A Dance of Dragons are also good, although these books in themselves never had to be split. If you consider the last two books as a whole, it can certainly equal the first three books. For those who were less satisfied with A Feast of Crows and A Dance of Dragons, I recommend the combined, chronological version: A Ball of Beasts.

I believe The Winds of Winter will be released next year. Now for real. Ten years after the release of A Dance of Dragons. For me, after Game of Thrones, it is still worthwhile to read the next two(?) books in the series. The books after A Storm of Swords already differ radically from the TV series. For example, I don't believe that Cersei will be on the Iron Throne in the books (rather another throne pretender not cast in GoT). Bran may have a leading function in the end (perhaps as a kind of god?), but I expect that magic will play a much bigger role in the books. The events will have a much more logical structure in the books (they will also take place in a different context) than in the TV series.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda don't give a shit anymore and I was a huge fan of the books. The time between books combined with the ending on the show just killed my interest. The books will probably get to the ending in a more satisfying way, but there's no guarantee that ever happens.

Also read the Malazan series which was significantly better imo.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've yet to read all the books, let alone watch the show past season 1. I think I'll be able to finish both before WoW releases.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Liked the books ok before the show though they were getting worse.

Then the show ending happened. Don't think I'll bother finishing them anymore.

Oh well!

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
It's undoubtedly the black sheep of the series but it has its fans.

I really enjoyed it, I'd probably give it a slight edge over ACoK but not the others.

Though I have to say it's the one I have the most trouble ranking. The rest are pretty straightforward imo.
I...enjoyed parts of it. And I think it's super important and has GREAT moments, but i feel it could've been a little leaned out. Not a bad book, but not my favorite. It might have also been hard to get through cause I was marathoning all the novels (right when season one came out) and i might have been getting fatigued at that point.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Every day, GRRM sits down at a desk with a typewriter, takes out his phone and reads NY Jets forums.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I read book one just after the end of season one and I wanted to read the books as the seasons on tv were coming... The tv show ended (I dont hate the ending, but I didnt like it either) and I am still stuck in book three... I bet I will finish the 5th book before the new one is out tho...

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
I started reading this series right before "a Clash of Kings" came out so that's some 22 years ago. Back then I thought the books were pretty good and that the political intrigue in them was pretty awesome. The last couple of books were a lot less good and I've never gone back to reread them. In fact, the only ASOIAF book I've read ever since the show came out was ADWD when came out. I've never read anything else because I was so dissappointed by how poor it was. And on reflection, I've been reading books with much more intricate and more involved political intrigue and superior world building. So I don't miss them nor do I really care that GRRM is taking his time for the last few to come out.

Funny enough, my feelings for the books isn't related to how I feel about the show at all, and I never even watched any of the last four and a half seasons. I missed out on the fight between Oberyn and Gregor, but I don't think I'm missing out on much else.

People get annoyed their favs aren't in Feast and ignore that it probably has the strongest prose in the series and really expands the world. Dance is just too subtle for most people, especially on a first read. Let's count the numbers of people whining about Dany chapters in Dance but also whining about her characterization in the last few seasons of the show. Almost 1 to 1 I'd wager (derp).
People got annoyed with Feast and Dance because they were boring. Sure the prose has improved, but if that's the best praise that can be brought up about them then these are going to be books with serious problems. And that's really where I stand: GRRM's writing instincts have fallen off a cliff and he no longer has any idea what material should be put in the book and what should be left out. I may read the last few books but I no longer have any faith that they'll be any good.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017

So good.

I guess people expect every book after Storm to just be huge dramatic bombs without realizing climaxes don't last for half a book series or more. We've now been setup for the next insanity.

...whenever it gets here.

Yeah, agreed. A lot of writers take the shonen anime route and just constantly escalate, but I think a ton of series need to reign themselves in with stuff like Feast. Pulling back to King's Landing and letting the outcome of the war just sit for a second was necessary imo.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
The reactions in here are why I stopped watching the show after season four. D&D were running out of material and I saw the writing on the wall.

I still love the books!

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Martin's inability or disinterest in finishing, coupled with the show finishing killed any real interest I had in finishing the books. I'll probably just read spoilers if winds comes out.