• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
"Series S features the same Zen 2 CPU core as Series X, running with a 200MHz deficit, which Microsoft told us is mostly about product differentiation," Digital foundry

Sounds incredible dumb to make the cpu weaker just for product differentaton.

But how much is 200mhz going to matter anyway?

Edit: Lock the thread. I get it, its not going to matter.

Last edited:

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
The worse GPU and less RAM is going to be an issue much quicker than 200mhz less on the CPU.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I doubt they'd do this just for differentiation. Its more likely MS and AMD chose that speed to ensure better yields, and reduce cost. Also, the lower speed shouldn't affect much, especially with the lower ram requirements.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
200mhz us nothing. Thats going to translate to less than 5% performance difference in real world CPU performance.

It's a smaller box, downclocking would make the thermals significantly better for such a small box.

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
I mean, 200 Mhz isn't really a big deal. It's literally taking it from the Series X clock and going down to the PS5 one. It's negligible. The RAM being cut back so severely may affect it more long term than the CPU will. Unless the PS5 ends up with CPU issues as well, which I highly fucking doubt.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
If the system has a bottleneck, it isn't the CPU. It's ram setup looks to be much worse than what's on the series X.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
It really won't make much of a difference at all, especially on a Zen 2 CPU that is just as likely to be bound by memory and inter-CCX latency as it is frequency.

You can see this on PC, where the higher clockspeed of a 3800XT has barely any impact on gaming performance vs. a 3700x, but tune your Infinity fabric clocks and memory timings/speed and you can see a 10-20% improvement in "CPU" bound games.

With the reduced L3 cache in these consoles, memory latency is going to have an even greater impact on performance, making minor differences in clockspeed even less of an issue.

TLDR: The very small difference in clockspeed will likely result in a less than linear decrease in performance due to bottlenecks elsewhere in the CPU and memory on Zen 2 CPU. It's a none issue.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
The CPU on XSS is excellent actually, compared to its specs. The main problem is the ram size (causing very blurry textures in the first games) and low bandwidth + split memory causing the machine to perform below expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.