• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Were they serious?

• Yes, you were meant to take the plot seriously.

Votes: 65 18.3%
  • No, it was a parody.

Votes: 291 81.7%

• Total voters

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
header.jpg

Not enough people talk about this dlc. They literally replace the main character with Duke (with a new script for him) but don't change anyone else's lines or reactions in the whole game, everyone still refers to him as grayson. That pretty much tells you everything you need to know about the tone of this game.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the plot is supposed to be taken seriously, but at the same the I don't think it goes far enough to be considered a parody.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Bulletstorm is so freaking amazing.

The true sequel to Duke Nukem 3D, in my opinion!

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
Playing with the profanity filter on makes everything in the game even better.

It's attempting to be a parody with a degree of self-awareness, but doesn't have anything that would qualify as a real subversion of dudebro shooters.

It still wants that audience to buy the game without challenging their tastes in any way.
Parody doesn't need to be satire.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
You can be a great example of a thing while also parodying it. Thick as a Brick is both a parody of progressive rock concept albums and one of the best progressive rock concept albums of all time. Bulletstorm doesn't quite reach those heights but it's done in the same spirit.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Both. Loved it back then on Xbox 360 and still loved it when I played the remaster on PS4 a few months ago. To be honest, I miss such games a little bit :)

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It was one of those weird post-ironic things where it's clearly made with tongue planted firmly in it's cheek but is only wallowing in all the stupid bullshit because it earnestly loves it rather than to critique said stupid bullshit.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
I'm blown away that 1 outta 5 voters think you're supposed to take anything from Bulletstorm seriously.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
bulletstorm is the best single player FPS of the last generation and was really only beaten by DOOM 2016

the complaints always came from people who only saw the marketing (which was admittedly pretty bad), because i don't see how you can play an hour of that game without realising this is a very overt parody

Really? Didn't they publish or something? Still, I stand corrected.
they only published the remaster, it was originally published by EA

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if I'd call it a parody but it wasn't taking itself seriously either. I thought they tried a bit too hard with the vulgarity that it just became annoying after awhile.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I named him Waggleton P. Tallylickerm, but I never got the chance to tell him that.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
"Little did users of ResetEra, genuinely questioning whether Bulletstorm was to be taken at face value, that this event would eventually prompt the scientific community to finally recognize Poe's law as a physical universal invariant."

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Polls on this site continue to be terrible. You definitely weren't meant to take the story seriously, but i don't think it landed squarely in parody territory. It just wallowed in vileness.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I was under the impression that it was supposed to be a parody but then it basically just ended up repeating the tropes without ever actually mocking them in an effective way.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely a parody. The problem is it wanting to have its cake and eat it too.
Still a fun game though.

Aug 28, 2019
How could anyone possibly take it seriously? I'm not sure if parody is the right word, but it leans hard into idiotic excess and stupid jokes, and it does so absolutely on purpose because that's its idea of a good time. It's a dudebro shooter's nerdy cousin that shows up to the party with a heavy metal T-shirt and an air horn.