• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Was Bob Rock the best or worst thing to happen to Metallica?

• Best

Votes: 30 17.8%
  • Worst

Votes: 64 37.9%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 75 44.4%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
Some say it was the begging to the decline to Metallica but the black album was a smash. It's also where James became more melodic and sang.

personally, I'm good with bob rock era

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Black Album was the start of trash, and their output ever since was more bad than good. That is not to say they didn't put out good songs on nearly each album, but there's nothing that matches Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning, and justice for all, Etc

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
I'm indifferent because he brought them a lot of mainstream success, but they lost a lot of themselves when he took over and basically became the fifth member of the band. Once he left after St. Anger they started sounding like older Metallica again, but on Death Magnetic they still have Rick Rubin too much sway and he influenced the music more than he should have.

With Hardwired though, they knocked it out of the park.

Applebite

Oct 27, 2017
If it wasn't Bob Rock it would be someone else. They wanted to go in that direction, even if it marked the decline of the band to me.

IsThatHP

Oct 31, 2017
Metallica would not be what it is today if they kept on iterating on their first four albums.

For metallica, it was the best thing that could happen.

For fans who think they'd be happy watching aging stars put less inspired thrash metal as time went on and the music went out of style, it was the best thing that could happen.

IMO Metallica's problems and egos start and stop with the band members themselves. The only real what if that exists out there is what if cliff didn't die.

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
Metallica would not be what it is today if they kept on iterating on their first four albums.

For fans who think they'd be happy watching aging stars put less inspired thrash metal as time went on and the music went out of style, it was the best thing that could happen.

IMO Metallica's problems and egos start and stop with the band members themselves. The only real what if that exists out there is what if cliff didn't die.

Cliff was into such varied shit that they probably would have done something wacky sooner if he had lived. I think he would have gotten bored sticking to the same formula.

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
Bob rock never did anything that Metallica didn't want him to do. They wanted that sound and always had the last word. I love Load and the black album anyway so I would say no.

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
The worst thing that happened was a fucking bus accident.

Bob rock may not be my cup of tea but he hasn't killed members of the band. At least I dont think so.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Black is amazing

they declined shortly after

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
Bob Rock killed Metallica. Full stop.

You could ask this same question with Atticus Ross and Nine Inch Nails.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
The worst. Megadeth's sellout album (Countdown to Extinction) was much better than the Black album.

Merrill

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax
Bob Rock didn't write the Black album. Metallica killed them selves.

The album was already written prior to any recording with Bob. His production made the mediocre writing on the album at least sound fantastic.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
Metallica made the music Metallica wanted to make. I'm glad they went that direction for a while. Diverse catalog is much better then 10 albums of the same songs.

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
Bob Rock didn't write the Black album. Metallica killed them selves.

The album was already written prior to any recording with Bob. His production made the mediocre writing on the album at least sound fantastic.

This isn't true. They had some ideas and a basic outline for the album but wanted a producer that could get them out of the thrash metal box and into a more mainstream one. If you've never watched A Year and a Half in the Life of Metallica, it goes into the entire process of the album's production.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Black album, Load, and Garage Inc. are fucking awesome. Fuck the crybabies who have spent 30 years whining about this shit.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Bob rock never did anything that Metallica didn't want him to do. They wanted that sound and always had the last word. I love Load and the black album anyway so I would say no.

Yup, Hetfield and Ulrich are very calculated with what they do with Metallica. You can be they argued about Bob Rock for days. It's all according to their keikaku.

Stuntman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
His sound on his prime is amazing (Dr. Feelgood and Black Album), Metallica just wanted to be The Beatles.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
Bob Rock killed Metallica. Full stop.

You could ask this same question with Atticus Ross and Nine Inch Nails.

Atticus came on board around With Teeth (don't think he became an official member until later though) and he really helped Reznor become less precious about his music. And without him, there'd be no Social Network soundtrack.

The Downward Spiral / Fragile period was awesome, but it was never gonna last. Artists gotta evolve.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I love the Bob Rock sound on bands like Motley Crue, but don't like it for Metallica. I lost interest in the band with the Black Album.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This isn't true. They had some ideas and a basic outline for the album but wanted a producer that could get them out of the thrash metal box and into a more mainstream one. If you've never watched A Year and a Half in the Life of Metallica, it goes into the entire process of the album's production.

I don't really follow what you are disagreeing with since nothing in your post contradicts what that poster said? Rock didn't write any of the Black album. Yes, he did producer shit, but that isn't "writing". Unforgiven, Sandman, Nothing Else Matters, Sad But True, and Wherever I May Roam were demoed out in Lars' basement without Rock, and the meat of the songs are there (minus some lyrics).

inkrm9F.jpg

E6xqK8u.jpg

You can hear the demoes here.

Paterique

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Black is amazing

they declined shortly after
they did not...they changed.....nothing can touch master or ride....but damn if load , death magnetic s&m arent masterpieces on their own.
It wouldnt not have made sense to reiterate the same album over and over. no other band has stood the test of time and evolved while staying relevant as they have (well al,ost no band). for the record, yes i am a long time fan, saw them over 15 times and had the honor to meet them so i am biased. Also bonus point for being great people who work closely with the community and raise money for great causes.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm fine with him. I like the s/t album, the two Load albums and the covers they did for Garage Inc. S&M was OK, St. Anger is terrible, Lulu was even worse, and Death Magnetic and Hardwired are good if forgettable albums. Rock never 'killed' Metallica, Lars and James 'killed' the band by breaking out of the thrash metal box.

Now let's listen to some 2020 thrash metal.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
To Metallica?
The best. Ridiculous fame and fortune.

Maybe not to the hardcore fans.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Yeah pretty much this.

Decado

Dec 7, 2017
Even if I don't like the Black album as much as the previous ones, it was still excellent. Subsequent albums I did not care for, though the latest is solid.

I wish we got a redone version of the first album. There are some killer tracks but the production quality and singing kind of killed it. Live versions are better except the crowd sings half of them :/

Oct 26, 2017
The Black Album is great, Load is great, and Reload is their best album. As for Bob Rock, he'll always be an unofficial member of Metallica to me.

Oct 31, 2017
He was good for their wallets, but bad for their art. But really, Metallica as they were more-or-less died with Cliff sadly. They just weren't the same band after that bus accident. I consider ...And Justice For All to be their turning point, not the Bob Rock produced, super-selling phenomenon Black Album.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I personally don't care for anything after Justice For All until Death Magnetic. I really like both it and their 2016 album.

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really care for him, but I do admit that I very much enjoyed (and continue to enjoy) St. Anger.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Cliff Burton dying was the worst thing that happened to Metallica.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Cliff dying was the worst, so not that, but not the best either, which was Cliff joining, so indifferent.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
People defending Load and Reload, after that Imagine Dragons thread I shouldn't be shocked, but here we are.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

This. Not only did they want to change their sound, but if they hadn't, they'd probably just fade away like most bands that never change.

Their main problem in my opinion is making their albums too long and not trimming the fat. Starting with the Black album it always seems like there's a song or two that shouldn't have made it onto the record. That's just my opinion though.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
People defending Load and Reload, after that Imagine Dragons thread I shouldn't be shocked, but here we are.

They have some great songs. Most of them are on Load, but Reload has some good shit like Fixxxer, Memory Remains, Fuel, and Unforgiven II. They are also pretty fucking unique albums, which is not something you could say about anything Imagine Dragons have done. Love 'em or hate 'em, nothing else sounds like the Loads.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I don't trust anyone who doesn't think Load and Reload are great.

Outlaw Torn, Bleeding Me, Unforgiven 2, Fuel, Until It Sleeps, Wasting My Hate, Better Than You, and Mama Said are all among their best work.

Don't at me

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the same argument people have used with Def Leppard in regards to Mutt Lange's involvement. If it wasn't for each respective band wanting to experiment and change things up with their producers then both bands probably would have either faded into obscurity or wouldn't have had the long lasting impact they ended up having.

Merrill

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax
I've watched it and Bob Rock clearly states the album was almost 100% written in its entirety upon him meeting and taking the job. Bob is only responsible for how awesome the album ended up sounding. Metallica are the ones who wrote the weak ass songs(IMO). They knew the direction they wanted to go.

Bizazedo

Oct 28, 2017
Given how big Black was, I don't see how one can argue that it was a mistake beyond "Well, *I* didn't like it, so..." which....yeah, okay, that's nice?

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Cliff was into such varied shit that they probably would have done something wacky sooner if he had lived. I think he would have gotten bored sticking to the same formula.

Yeah. The thing I always point out to people who think Cliff would have never gone along with their more mainstream stuff is that we have no clue what he would have been like years after his death. Because I bet the Hetfield and Ulrich of 1986 would have laughed at some of the black-reload era stuff. But, guess what? 5+ years of touring the world changes people. He would have been no different. Not to say he would or wouldn't have liked that stuff. Who knows. All we know is that he would have changed as a person over the years.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
110% THE worst. Before the last 2 albums(which are really good) I used to refer to the Black Album as a metaphor for their demise. Although not everything was terrible (S & M and Garage Inc were both pretty good), that period between the Black Album and Death Magnetic was just bad. And Bob Rock was responsible for most of it. They went from the greatest metal band ever with 4 perfect CDs to corporate sellouts when he became involved. It's only when they ditched his ass, got back to business and made Death Magnetic when they reclaimed their dignity.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
I've watched it and Bob Rock clearly states the album was almost 100% written in its entirety upon him meeting and taking the job. Bob is only responsible for how awesome the album ended up sounding. Metallica are the ones who wrote the weak ass songs(IMO). They knew the direction they wanted to go.
He heavily participated and influenced writing

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
First off I agree Cliff dying killed it. So much of their early material was Mustaine leftovers and Cliff that after Justice they had to take a turn whether they wanted to or not.

And if nothing else we got Load out of it, tremendous hard rock album and the only post Justice Metallica (other than some covers) I really enjoy, but I really enjoy it to the point I would rather listen to it then Kill em all.

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're by far and away their best mixed and sounding albums. I personally love Load. The only one that was weak was ReLoad which still had some good tunes. St. Anger that came after was bad, and then Death Magnetic I felt could have been good but they didn't have enough outside input. A lot of the songs go on way too long and are repetitive. The same can be said of Hardwired, but hardwired is a much better album due to the fact they seemed to have pulled influence from the Bob Rock days on that one and mixed it with their thrash side.

I feel, overall, he was positive for the band.