• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
I played the PS4 version of FFIX recently and was thrown off by the lack of disc switching splash screens.

The price to pay for technological advances

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Since we're posting this kind of nonsense... I find the repetition so weird on the wording in these 2-disc games:

"DATA DISC
Insert the Data Disc first"

"PLAY DISC
Insert the Play Disc second"
You underestimate how fucking stupid people are.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Look, part of me kinda loves the idea of multi-disc games. But with Blu-Rays it's just not normally necessary.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not even weekend tho.... Weekend era pls go back into hibernation

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Playing FF9 on Switch definitely felt like there was "something" missing by not having the disc swaps. I miss them :(

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
to humor the idea a bit the FF7 disc 1 --> disc 2 transition was a pretty iconic memory

but so was blowing on NES cartridges to make them 'work'

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"PlayStation statistic"

"Phil Spencer quote"

"Twitch personality is a massive prick"

"Nintendo is doomed"

and this.

Welcome to Era 2020.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
When people think that turn-based battle systems were made due to hardware limitations and a product of their time, and can't understand why anyone would want to play a game like that in modern times.

I know now how they feel after reading that OP.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I suspect they have all the prerendered video on the play disk and that can be streamed without installing.

Nothing is streamed from disc this generation. You can start the game after the data disc finishes installing and the play disc keeps installing the rest in the background. Afterwards, Play Disc is just the one you need to verify your license and start the game. It doesn't really matter which one they make the play disc but it can't be both because I suppose that could be abused (like, install the game on another person's PS4 and then both keep one disc each to play the game).

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
No, I don't particularly miss swapping disks. Just like I don't miss loading games on C64 casettes, not even with how awesome some of those loaders were (I just check those from Youtube when I thirst nostalgia and banger tracks).
AZ7vF7t.jpg

This was funny joke about disk swapping btw

Last edited:

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is this forum so damn serious. Just chill out guys. All the serious replied what made OP funny tbh

chusetto

Oct 31, 2017
Krista
I really want Flight Simulator (2020) to change between its 10 discs whenever the plane cross some country's frontier

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
If you like swapping discs, get an Amiga and a game like Rise Of The Robots. Basically everything you can do requires a disk swap.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how old is OP? Because you kinda showed your age by being "offended" for having to deal with a multi disc game.... imagine if you were around during the PS1 era.....

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
OP, TLOU2 does the exact same thing I guess you haven't played it otherwise it'd be strange to not mention it.

Mosaica

May 22, 2019
No. I'm not even sure how multidisc games could function the same way on modern platforms. Data discs are just the new norm.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This reminds me of a friend whose favorite media are tapes: cassette tapes and VHS tapes.

Imma tell you the same thing I told her: you're insane, fucking move on.

JooJ

Oct 27, 2017
I think first time I needed to swap discs I was a kid playing mgs and I turned off the system to do so. lol

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Finally someone made a thread about this. I'm with you OP. Disappointed that the cut-off for disc one wasn't chapter 9 and then it'd have you switch to disc two after that amazing chapter.