• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shoozle

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
UK
The soundtrack is by far the most surprised I have been in a while. In the past I have often liked a couple from each game such as the jazzy theme from Pirate Warriors, but so far the music is the best aspect and constantly delivers.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
I've only played Dynasty Warriors before, is there an equivalent to free mode in this? All I can see so far is Story Mode and the Battle Mode which seems to put you into a 6 player online game?

Seems a bit frameratey on PS4 which is disappointing but I guess not surprising.

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
As someone who has only played Samurai Warriors 4 and no recent Dynasty Warriors, why do the Dynasty Warriors characters have such crappy musou attacks? Samurai Warriors characters do a whole attack string with a finisher, while a Dynasty Warriors character does a 3 second animation that barely does anything. It almost makes the musou feel like a waste of the bar.

Boogalogist

Oct 25, 2017
So, I use the Charge Attack (triangle) without Attack (square) first......sometimes it comes out the plain Charge Attack, sometimes I do a backdash..

Anyone can help to explain this?

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has only played Samurai Warriors 4 and no recent Dynasty Warriors, why do the Dynasty Warriors characters have such crappy musou attacks? Samurai Warriors characters do a whole attack string with a finisher, while a Dynasty Warriors character does a 3 second animation that barely does anything. It almost makes the musou feel like a waste of the bar.

DW characters are more tuned for taking out officers whereas SW are more for massive groups. There are exceptions like Wang Yuanji, of course.

I'd recommend using the Unique Magic more often if you think their musou aren't very effective.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Frame rate for co-op on Switch looks so bad, but will still get. Hopefully, they'll patch a fix at some point.

WildEagle18

Feb 22, 2018
Just got an email that Amazon delivered my copy. I can't wait to go home and smash some peons.

How early do we unlock Xing Cai?

OP
OP
EGOMON

EGOMON

Nov 5, 2017
Earth
Man I can't get over the bad online co-op campaign implementation, now I asked my brother to blast through the whole campaign on easy so that he unlock all characters then we can play it again together online, such a complicated solution for stupid easy problem that have been figured out ages ago

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
Workin through chapter 2. Still no sign of my Wang Yi. Woe is me. At least i unlocked Kunoichi and Y. Sanada. Having fun with the game so far. But other than some of the magic abilities, im not getting much of a "fresh" feeling. Lots of reused assets, kinda expected. A good game. But a safe game. Which i imagine they wanted after the DW9 backlash.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Workin through chapter 2. Still no sign of my Wang Yi. Woe is me. At least i unlocked Kunoichi and Y. Sanada. Having fun with the game so far. But other than some of the magic abilities, im not getting much of a "fresh" feeling. Lots of reused assets, kinda expected. A good game. But a safe game. Which i imagine they wanted after the DW9 backlash.
Yeah. I'm enjoying Warriors Orochi 4, but Dynasty Warriors 9 had a lot of fresh ideas and while not everything panned out, it hit some real highs for me. Warriors Orochi 4 is comfort food, but taking Lu Lingqi on a literal cross-country gauntlet to fight through the combined Liu Bei/Cao Cao force and end it with a dramatic sunset duel with Cao Cao that was punctuated with Lu Bu's inevitable defeat was something special to me. Dynasty Warriors 9 gave me the absolute best feeling when everything clicked and I'll be sad to see DW10 backtrack.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017

Don't forget DW characters can do musou's in the air as well (when its unlocked) it varies by character but yeah the Samurai Warriors guys really excel in this game. Ah and don't forget Rage Mode (R3?) musou, these are pretty huge attacks that end up carrying masses of enemies, they are definitely bigger on the DW character side.

How early do we unlock Xing Cai?

amanofculture.jpg

Not very sadly. If I remember its something like 60ish percent through. Maybe a touch earlier.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So i may be dumb but i put my dlc costume code in, how do i access them? I do not see an option for it

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
So i may be dumb but i put my dlc costume code in, how do i access them? I do not see an option for it
You won't have access to the ability to change costumes until you unlock at least one of the characters that has an available costume they can swap into, whether that be DLC or simple variations like Xiahou Ba with and without his helmet. Until then, the option isn't visible in the menu at all.

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
I think I might use Cheat Engine for growth points. I feel like you can't really try new characters as they're always under levelled for the stage you're on.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You won't have access to the ability to change costumes until you unlock at least one of the characters that has an available costume they can swap into, whether that be DLC or simple variations like Xiahou Ba with and without his helmet. Until then, the option isn't visible in the menu at all.
ew. Thanks for that info.

JNH

Oct 27, 2017
France
I'm a bit sad, I don't like the magic weapon of Wang Yuanji so I'll not play much with her. And the one for Sima Shi is pretty meh but I can't put aside my husbando.
My favourite is still Nobuyuki. Great moves, fast, nice magic bow, plus I like the character itself.

I want Cao Pi and Mitsunari-chan now !

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, apparently the stores near me decided to only stock the PS4 version of the game with no plans to stock the Switch version. Both the price and the download size are too big on the eShop for my taste, so I guess I won't be playing this game after all. Unfortunate, I was really starting to look forward to it.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I'm enjoying Warriors Orochi 4, but Dynasty Warriors 9 had a lot of fresh ideas and while not everything panned out, it hit some real highs for me. Warriors Orochi 4 is comfort food, but taking Lu Lingqi on a literal cross-country gauntlet to fight through the combined Liu Bei/Cao Cao force and end it with a dramatic sunset duel with Cao Cao that was punctuated with Lu Bu's inevitable defeat was something special to me. Dynasty Warriors 9 gave me the absolute best feeling when everything clicked and I'll be sad to see DW10 backtrack.

Yup. Im totally with you on that. I fear the step back as well.

On a side note, i was doing some thinking last night. KT needs to come up with a new way to unlock characters i feel. You are really at the mercy of the story when it comes to unlocking your fav characters. No one wants to wait till chapter 4 or 5 (close to endgame for this).

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Having a good time with this game, a shame that weapon fusion isn't what it was like in the previous game, seems more grindy.

Last edited:

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
grabbed the ps4 version last night, what modes are their outside the standard campaign and free mode?

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
How is the Switch version?

I have a few hours into it. Its pretty solid so far. Enemy count appears to be a bit lower than PS4 though. It will be more telling though the deeper you get into the game. So we will see if it holds up.

grabbed the ps4 version last night, what modes are their outside the standard campaign and free mode?

Thats pretty much it, sadly. Unless there is something that unlocks at the end of the game i dont know about? I have a sneaking feeling they are gonna sell us a new mode via DLC.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
The SW characters i feel really shine in this game. Also, i always forget about rage/deity mode. I always end up trying to save it for boss fights. But then i beat the bosses either normally or with the big spirit bombs, and never use the bloody things. lol. And Wang Yuanji feels so gimped in this game i feel. Nerfed her a lil too hard imo.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
No manual save while in the stage? Cant find it if there's one. What a bummer.
One of the objective was don't let Toyohisa Shimazu's health fall below 70% but that idiot couldn't handle regular mooks and now I have to redo the stage again.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
One of the objective was don't let Toyohisa Shimazu's health fall below 70% but that idiot couldn't handle regular mooks and now I have to redo the stage again.

Yeah babysitting in these games can sometimes be a pain in the arse. Especially when you get a notification "So and so is in trouble!" and youre on the other side of the map.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017

You do get checkpoints, but idk if they stay viable if you quit

JNH

Oct 27, 2017
France
Does anyone know what are those bonuses ? (surge)
The description is so vague...

4E601B88E972A0D1671D8A21BD79184D71AFC82A

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know what are those bonuses ? (surge)
The description is so vague...

4E601B88E972A0D1671D8A21BD79184D71AFC82A

So, im not 100% on this, but my understanding is that it procs at 300 kills and again at 1000 kills. And depending if you are using a DW character your bonus will affect your charge attack and if youre using a SW character, the bonus would apply to your rush.

JNH

Oct 27, 2017
France
Oh, I was expecting stats bonuses growing with your KO count. Only 2 procs is a bit weak (unless the dmg on charge/rush attacks is a real improvement).

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I've only played Dynasty Warriors before, is there an equivalent to free mode in this? All I can see so far is Story Mode and the Battle Mode which seems to put you into a 6 player online game?

Seems a bit frameratey on PS4 which is disappointing but I guess not surprising.
You can send any team to any stage you've beaten in the story mode itself, so there's no need for a separate free mode.

I don't think it really had anything to do with the DW9 backlash. They'd always use old assets for this game.

What disappoints me a bit is the lack of polish and budget, like few cutscenes and not even replacing characters with generics when you choose them as part of your team, but they're set to appear in the stage due to the story. You just get clones running around.

There are auto checkpoints after accomplishing some objectives, and you can return to the latest one, while in the stage, but that's it.

Last edited:

MrVexed

Dec 13, 2017
And Wang Yuanji feels so gimped in this game i feel. Nerfed her a lil too hard imo.

I'm a bit torn. On one hand, she was a mainstay in my WO3 team so I was a bit bummed after finally trying her out in this and not really liking her. On the other hand, I should probably give one of the other 100+ characters a try anyway instead of plowing through everyone with Wang for another entire game.

My girl Nu Wa seems kinda trash too, although Kunoichi is a MONSTER now.

JNH

Oct 27, 2017
France
It's weird to unlock Orochi so early, I didn't finish the story (chap 4).
I finally unlocked Mitsunari and I'm falling in love... even more ? (I thought it was not possible, eh). With his magic weapon it's a giant hoover with range + XP bonuses + unit magic bonus, he's already almost max lvl. Waiting for Cao Pi !

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bit torn. On one hand, she was a mainstay in my WO3 team so I was a bit bummed after finally trying her out in this and not really liking her. On the other hand, I should probably give one of the other 100+ characters a try anyway instead of plowing through everyone with Wang for another entire game.

My girl Nu Wa seems kinda trash too, although Kunoichi is a MONSTER now.

It also doesn't help Wang Yuanji has shit magic. That r1 square is rubbish. She really got the short end of the stick in this game.

And Kunoichi has always been a fave of mine. Love her moveset.

And I have to agree with NeonZ i hate seeing a doppelgänger in maps do to story implications when you have the character in your party. I wonder if that is something that can be patched?

Minastepes

May 3, 2018
Kisiljevo
Is Warriors Orochi 4 for me ? The only muso I played were Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem on switch. I really loved theses games for their simplicity, rpg elements and famous characters.

For me Dynasty/Samurai warriors characters are totally unknown, and i fear to miss the whole plot with this crossover.

Didn't saw many reviews yet, do you think i can enjoy it ?

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Is Warriors Orochi 4 for me ? The only muso I played were Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem on switch. I really loved theses games for their simplicity, rpg elements and famous characters.

For me Dynasty/Samurai warriors characters are totally unknown, and i fear to miss the whole plot with this crossover.

The actual main plot is mostly based on original characters based on Greek and Norse myths introduced in this game itself, so you'd likely get it. That said, the game does very little to introduce the Samurai Warriors and Dynasty Warriors characters who make up most of the playable cast and minor enemies you face throughout, and that might be the actual issue. I wish they had localized Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate, which would be a much easier recommendation.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017

I wont say yes or no, but ill give you a couple things to think about.

First, i wouldnt expect this game to play much like FEW or HW mechanically. There is no command function like there is in those games to give instructions to your teammates. You can make a team of 3 and then you are responsible for managing your time and for completing all the objectives yourself.

As for the characters, when you unlock them and when you unlock the gallery you can usually brief exploits of each character from their respective series. Its not much. But i guess with 170 characters they dont wanna get too in depth.

As for the actual plot, its not something anyone would need to worry about i think. They start pretty fresh mostly. In the options there is also an "World of Orochi" tab that explains briefly the events of the previous games. But in this game you dont really need to know a whole lot. They fill you in on the basics of whats needed to know.

So i think it would be mostly pretty easy for someone not knowing anything about SW or DW to jump in. Just remember some of the mechanics from FEW and HW arent in this game and they do things a little differently.