• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Buckley now in charge.

Damn. Ah Toy :( can never be happy

It's going to be a sad day when Young Jun finally sees that Ah Sahm is trying to pull the strings. Just being used to fuck over Mai Ling.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping this show wraps up nicely. They knew that Cinemax originals were getting shuttered when they made this right?

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Hoping this show wraps up nicely. They knew that Cinemax originals were getting shuttered when they made this right?

I'm not sure, I believe this was filmed awhile ago. There are 2 episodes left, so I'm not sure what note they will end on. You can tell though the story could have went more seasons with a lot of things they are setting up.

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Warrior time!

Poor Jacob. Got sold out by Chao who got forced by Mai Ling's hand. Man..... Jacob got done dirty by everyone ;_;

I'm legit upset about the razing of Chinatown. Damn.

That whole sequence leading to Jacob's hanging and the razing was fucking heavy. Holy shit. Then Young Jun, Ah Sahm, and Hong going back to grab his body.... Oof.

One last episode. Just gotta have some faith, Ah Sahm.

Last edited:

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
That was easily one of the best episodes of the show and one of the best episodes of TV I've seen this year. The murder of Jacob leading to the riot in Chinatown was all executed so well. The bleakness of the Irish attacking early, then the Hop Wei and Long Zii joining forces to take on the mob. Ah Sahm in one of the best Bruce Lee nods going HAM with the nunchucks and the action being shot doing daylight so you got a clear picture of what was going on.

Even the conversation between Mai Ling and Ah Toy (who still in bad shape) was well done.

And next week in the season and most likely series finale we get the showdown between Ah Sahm and Leary.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
For a moment it looked like Leary was having some introspection but then he saw the casualties..... and sort of seemed like he went back to his old racist ways. During that moment he was vulnerable.

Lee's had enough. I like his arc tbh.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Why the fuck is John Cho playing Spike Spegel and not Andrew Koji.

goddammit!

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
Episode 3

Ha! Just when I was curious about how 2 full episodes go by without anyone using the term "duck" to refer to White People it finally pops up in this episode.

Last season I liked that the show was able to keep Ah Sahm juuuuuust barely on the very edge of being good and moral. If I recall correctly, he didn't murder anyone, and didn't kill anyone who hadn't already acted as a direct threat to him or Mai Ling. I got the impression that he didn't seem to really be into being a gangster, and went along with it out of necessity for survival. I was quite bummed that he re-joined the Hop Wei as the very end. I was hoping that after he got kicked out he would stay independent and not allow himself to get dragged into tong bullshit.

I'm not too thrilled that this season has Ah Sahm fully be into being a gangster, and an ambitious one with desires for more power.

But there's one inexplicable change to Ah Sahm's character made this season that I REALLY don't like: last season it was established that Ah Sahm does not fuck prostitutes. As he tells Ah Toy, "I just prefer women who have a choice"

I HATE that the show threw that away for nothing!

I'm liking this new guy: Hong. For most of the episode he comes across as an overly happy, overly eager to please, suck up, but then when he gets his showcase fight scene his personality transforms into this psychotic badass fighter!

Fuck yeah!

This Nellie Davenport woman seems interesting... I foresee her butting heads with Ah Toy, and I am intrigued at how she and Penelope Blake can play off one another...

And holy shit that was a brutal fight at the end! Zing is an idiot...

Last edited:

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
Episode 4

I have never been on Mai Ling's side, but I have to admit that she is right about the need for the tong to diversify for the sake of their survival...

I love that it is made clear that both Ah Sahm and Young Jun totally have Hong's back, and that they've made it known that anyone who fucks with Hong fucks with them - great to see some wholesome brotherhood among Asian guys.

The season 2 trailer showed Ah Sahm doing the classic bad ass Bruce Lee finger wag as a warning... I am a bit bummed that the intended audience is his fellow Hop Wei; I was REALLY hoping that he'd be doing it to the many racist White Guys all around him!

Last season Father Jun was an imposing figure with plenty of scenes and lines that displayed his badassery, past and present. I especially loved his calling out the White Americans for their making the Chinese a scapegoat for the failings of "their fucked up economy", but so far this season his presence is no where near as powerful as it was last season... I really hope the show doesn't kill him off!!!

Adding to my dismay at the degradation of Ah Sahm's moral character in this season, I don't like that he is using Penny, and her feelings towards him to hide his illegal wares.

The highlight of this episode for me was the face off between Ah Sahm and Leary, where Leary starts spouting his bullshit to Ah Sahm but Ah Sahm just cuts him off:

"Do I look like I want your fucking job?!"

"If you're so dammed... American... maybe you should ask your people why they keep fucking you over.. to hire us. Maybe it's you that doesn't belong here"

It's so fucking cathartic to see an Asian American call out a White Guy on his sense of entitlement! And Leary is too blinded by his racism to see that his people and the Chinese have a common enemy: the Anglo-American upper class.

I can't wait for the inevitable fight between these two!!!

As much as I really want Chao's plan for getting Zing out of the picture to succeed, you just know that things will go wrong...

Well... Sophie actually did it...

Too late for regrets now, you spoiled bitch.

Last edited:

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
Episode 5

It's painful to see the destruction of Ah Sahm's and Penny's relationship... Oh, what once was... and what could have been... At least they acknowledged the power that White Women hold over non-White men: all a White Woman has to do is scream or cry, that that is often enough to be a death sentence for any poor non-White man she chooses...

OK... I did not see the Nellie X Ah Toy ship coming....

I like that Chao (one of my favourite characters in the show) got his moment of badassery in the Fung Hai headquarters! And I'm glad that this season fleshed out his character a bit more with the subplot about his secret daughter with a White Woman, a father-daughter relationship that he willingly deprives himself of for the sake of his White-passing daughter having a better chance at life.

"She have chance I never have. She have chance to live good life... good life... if no one find out what she really is... no one!"

I love the sneaked in social commentary of Asian names getting Anglicized, as an allegory for losing one's roots, one's ancestral identity, in the process of trying to fit into White American society.

Again, with the degradation of Ah Sahm's moral character, it went from him having a primary motivation to find and save his sister last season to him wanting to destroy everything she cares about. She reached out to him and offered a fucking olive branch, and his response was to be a villain.

Fuck.

At least Ah Toy called him out on it. I really hope this show doesn't go the route of Ah Sahm killing Father Jun, or pushing Young Jun to killing his father, besides further pushing Ah Sahm closer to the villain role, it would mean that one of my favourite characters, who's already had a diminished presence this season thus far gets eliminated from the show.

At least the ending hints at one hell of an episode next week!

Last edited:

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
Episode 6

BEST EPISODE SO FAR!

The ending of the opening scene was hilarious thanks to Brian Tobin's delivery of his line.

I love how the big boisterous bully, which the episode spends quite a bit of time hyping up, gets dispatched with a single kick to the face, topped off with a dismissive, "Finished."! I feel that this is an allegory that will be lost on those who are most in need of getting this message: fight back against your bullies - you'll often find that they are more bark than bite.

Hong gets another great fight scene showcasing what he is good at: going from happy-go-lucky to psycho in an instant and kicking ass with his whip chain! That move that he ends the fight with - Damn! I love that there's the comedic payoff of him rewarding himself with the boots that he was eyeing! LOL!

I've loved Vega in every single one of her scenes so far, and now we get an entire episode full of her! The sexual tension between her and Ah Sahm gets paid off in this episode.

I didn't expect this show to call out how a huge part of the southwestern United States used to be part of Mexico, and how some Mexican families had their land taken from them.

The scene where Vega gets her revenge was masterfully executed! Too bad this is the last we'll see of her :(

Oh shit! Looks like Ah Sahm and Young Jun are going to have to face the music next episode!

Please don't kill off Father Jun!!!

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
Episode 7

All season long I've been dreading that Father Jun would be killed off so that Ah Sahm can put Young Jun in charge. I'm relieved and glad to see that that trope has been avoided!

Oh man... that pisshole brothel scene was really hard to watch... until Ah Toy and her protegƩ show up! That was the most satisfying kill I've seen in this entire show - and that's saying a lot!

But Ah Toy was disturbed enough by what she saw of how Lai was behaving that she figured it's best for Lai to have an intervention lest she continue down too dark of a path...

Bummer! I wanted to see more of Lai killing racist White Guys!

But they really should have torched the place! They just got rid of Zing, and threw the bulls off of their trail [of bodies], and now their carelessness has the bulls realizing that their "swordsman" is actually still out there...

I wonder what this photo of Buckley and some woman is all about... and why it's so important...

That better not be the death of Li Yong... that would be so fucking stupid!

I can't believe Jacob has put himself in grave danger for Penny!

He. Is. So. Fucked!

Last edited:

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
Episode 8

Nice opening!

A nice moment of bonding banter among the 3, and a I was like, "Why is there blood splatter on Hong's face?"

Oh.

Well, that's the end of the Fung Hai.

Fuck you, Sophie! Jacob's inevitable death will be on you!

Well, Buckley now has the power that he's been striving for from the shadows. Let's see how he handles power when he's in the spotlight.

Damn... Ah Toy got wrecked! She won, but at quite the cost... and I guess that's the end of Ah Toy x Nellie

The shade that Chao threw at O'Hara was gold!

Looks like next week is the explosive penultimate episode!

Last edited:

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
Episode 9

GODAMMIT CHAO!

You were one of my favourite characters! You were a man who worked hard to uphold his reputation as a "neutral" fixer! If you're going to give up Jacob to the bulls then at least DO NOT TAKE HIS HARD EARNED MONEY!!!

Mai Ling, you idiot! You thought giving the bulls Jacob would save Chinatown, but it did the exact opposite!

And so begins the San Francisco riot of 1877.

After a whole bunch of hard to watch scenes of a savage horde of White Men brutally attacking the innocent men, women, and children of Chinatown we get a [unfortunately ahistorical] turning of the tide, and it is inaugurated with the most bad ass and cathartic line from the season 2 trailer:

"we spend every day living in their world, but today, they're gonna die in ours"

And then, it manages to get even better... the Long Zii tong join forces with the Hop Wei Tong!

Two tongs, bitter enemies, fighting side by side against a common arch enemy!

From the very first episode of season one I was bummed at how much Chinese on Chinese violence there was. I felt that in this world, with all that is against them, Chinese shouldn't be killing Chinese.

So it's finally so good to see all Chinese put aside their differences and fight together against their common enemies!

FUCK YEAH!!!

IT'S ABOUT FUCKING TIME THE TONGS PROTECTED CHINATOWN INSTEAD OF BEING QUASI-PARASITES!!!

Surprisingly, Hong is not given another showcase of his fighting prowess....

But, more importantly, I thought there was a huge missed opportunity to really showcase Ah Sahm and Li Yong fighting side by side - it was barely a few seconds!

I was hoping for more along the lines of these two scenes of bitter enemies fighting side by side:

youtu.be

G.I. Joe: Retaliation (8/10) Movie CLIP - Ninja Team-Up (2013) HD

G.I. Joe: Retaliation movie clips: http://j.mp/28JIIQvBUY THE MOVIE: http://j.mp/28K2RKDDon't miss the HOTTEST NEW TRAILERS: http://bit.ly/1u2y6prCLIP DESCRI...

On the plus side, the big Bruce Lee homage we've all been waiting for finally got it's awesome payoff!

Also paid off was keeping Father Jun around, despite deposing him! Great to see Father Jun finally look at his son with some pride!

Tully, the guy who instigated this atrocity, got too quick and easy of a death...

It was neat to see Ah Toy's security guy have his own style of brutally dispatching enemies, in contrast with the other various martial art styles used by the main cast.

As for another pair of enemies allying together , the conversation between Ah Toy and Mai Long was really good.

"We may not like each other but today we're Chinese, and they're not - and that's all that matters"

That's a lesson that, in my opinion, almost the entire east Asian and Southeast Asian diaspora has repeatedly failed to learn, and continues to fail to learn...

"We don't need the Irish. Tongs will go right back to dicing one another"

Looks like the season finale, and likely the series finale, will give us the real fight between Ah Sahm and Leary that we've been waiting for since season one!

Last edited:

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, they literally put out the episode of the year. Unpopular opinion but this blew "The Jedi" out of the water by far

Man this show blows The Mandalorian out of the water by sheer magnitudes, don't even mention that. Characters, plot, action etc.

Episode 9 was fucking incredible. This has somehow skyrocketed into one of my top shows ever. The sheer levels of swag that Andrew Koji's Ah Sahm resonates puts him up as one of the best protagonists in a minute. Its baffling that this doesn't get renewed and we likely see bit parts or nothing else from him in the future.

The Bruce Lee homage with the nunchuks was so satisfying. Or when all the Chinatown gangs lined up to defend the place. I am going to forever be salty about this show not being given more to reach its conclusion.

If nothing else Koji really should have been cast as Spike in Cowboy Bebop.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Its baffling that this doesn't get renewed and we likely see bit parts or nothing else from him in the future.

He's going to be Storm Shadow in the GI Joe spin-off film and he's in Bullet Train with Brad Pitt. I think he will do well going forward.

The lack of renewal is mostly due to Cinemax getting out of the scripted TV game, hopefully when the show comes to HBO Max, his star profile will raise even further.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Last episode ;_;

Penny definitely knows Buckley is doing things behind the scenes.

Oh damn! Didn't expect Mai Ling to pull the brother card.

Ah Sahm didn't even say sorry for lying tho....

Oh shiiiit! It's time. Because it's really fucking easy. Lol Ah Sahm.

Philosophical debate and into a fight.

LET'S FUCKING GO AH SAHM! The heart punch to the drop kick finisher.

Lmao. Don't be ridiculous. I've been buying reporters for years. Buckley is such trash lol.

Trash begets trash. Fuck Mai Ling and Buckley.

There goes the Workingmen's Party of California. Messed up shit that lead to the Chinese Exclusion Act. Sad we won't see a season 3 ;_;

Last edited:

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Last episode ;_;

Penny definitely knows Buckley is doing things behind the scenes.

Oh damn! Didn't expect Mai Ling to pull the brother card.

Ah Sahm didn't even say sorry for lying tho....

Oh shiiiit! It's time. Because it's really fucking easy. Lol Ah Sahm.

Philosophical debate and into a fight.

LET'S FUCKING GO AH SAHM! The heart punch to the drop kick finisher.

Lmao. Don't be ridiculous. I've been buying reporters for years. Buckley is such trash lol.

Trash begets trash. Fuck Mai Ling and Buckley.

There goes the Workingmen's Party of California. Messed up shit that lead to the Chinese Exclusion Act. Sad we won't see a season 3 ;_;

Yeah, they were definitely setting up a lot of threads for a possible 3 we most likely won't get to see.

I really liked Mai Ling pulling the brother card, I was wondering when that might happen. Young Jun listening to his father and not making a rash decision about Ah Sahm. Also found Buckley stabbing himself hilarious, was something a schemer like him would do.

We even got the tease at the very end of Zing maybe escaping from prison.

I'm going to miss Warrior, with Cinemax out of the scripted game it brings an end to a period of time when Into the Badlands, Wu Assassins, and Warrior were holding it down for martial arts shows on TV. Now they are all gone :(

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, they were definitely setting up a lot of threads for a possible 3 we most likely won't get to see.

I really liked Mai Ling pulling the brother card, I was wondering when that might happen. Young Jun listening to his father and not making a rash decision about Ah Sahm. Also found Buckley stabbing himself hilarious, was something a schemer like him would do.

We even got the tease at the very end of Zing maybe escaping from prison.

I'm going to miss Warrior, with Cinemax out of the scripted game it brings an end to a period of time when Into the Badlands, Wu Assassins, and Warrior were holding it down for martial arts shows on TV. Now they are all gone :(

I was kind of hoping to see Chao have a change of heart and leaving with Father Jun but him actually bowing was good enough. Chao has come a long way and is definitely feeling the repercussions of his words and actions.

The post-ending talks with the actors was sad. They all talked about their characters and the show as if they're going to get another season.....

And yeah..... I don't have any tv shows to watch anymore until next year especially martial arts shows like Warrior and Into The Badlands. Going to be dry season until someone picks up Warrior or make a new show similar to Warrior and Into The Badlands.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
And yeah..... I don't have any tv shows to watch anymore until next year especially martial arts shows like Warrior and Into The Badlands. Going to be dry season until someone picks up Warrior or make a new show similar to Warrior and Into The Badlands.

I would suggest Gangs of London, or at least the first half of season 1. Cinemax was coproducing that with Sky before they dropped it and it got picked up by AMC. Fortunately for the show, Sky seems To be the more invested party and greenlit it for second season already. As a Gareth Evans (The Raid) show, it probably has the best action sequences this year alongside Warrior; episode 5 is one of the best standalone episodes like Warrior had with The Blood and the Sh*t. It's worth checking out if Evans stay closely involved; I would say that the second half of the season all felt like filler without Evans' direction.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
I was kind of hoping to see Chao have a change of heart and leaving with Father Jun but him actually bowing was good enough. Chao has come a long way and is definitely feeling the repercussions of his words and actions.

The post-ending talks with the actors was sad. They all talked about their characters and the show as if they're going to get another season.....

Yeah, with Jonathan Trooper leaving as showrunner I'm not sure how likely a 3rd season would be, along with the cast options most likely expiring. Maybe if the show does well, whenever it comes to HBO Max it could lead towards a path of coming back.

Like mentioned above ^^^ I do plan to check out Gangs of London. Will do a free trial of AMC+, watch the series and cancel. After I get caught up on some other shows.

snackshack

Oct 30, 2017
Ah Sahm and Leary finally fighting... what a payoff. I'm going to miss this show dearly. Can hope for a miracle and HBO Max does what is right and renews for a season 3.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you Bill for making those two Piano jokes on Leary
Also I really thought Leary is dead.
You know you have no more role when you get shelves in an asylum.

Good season

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Absolutely loved this season, and it's really fucking sad it's probably never going to get a third season. I'm guessing hoping that as it gets folded into HBO Max it'll get picked up for a third season there is futile at this point?

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely loved this season, and it's really fucking sad it's probably never going to get a third season. I'm guessing hoping that as it gets folded into HBO Max it'll get picked up for a third season there is futile at this point?
Chances are low, but not completely 0. Rewatch it all when it hits HBO Max (probably next month).

Shugdaddy

Dec 1, 2017
Just finished season 2.

Gutted it looks like there won't be a season 3 to tie it all up.

Was such a fun show.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Finished this up a week or so ago. Great series. Count me in the group hoping HBO max will give it a Season 3.