• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

'Warrior' is a thrilling martial arts crime drama series based on an original idea from Bruce Lee and brought to life by Banshee creator Jonathan Tropper. The second season will consist of 10 one hour episodes and will premiere on Friday, October 2 at 10/9c. Both seasons of the show will be made available on HBO MAX some time after season 2 finishes airing on Cinemax.

Due to Cinemax exiting the original series business, and HBO not caring about saving any of their shows, it's highly unlikely that Warrior will continue past season two (the cast and crew have already all moved on to other projects).

Trailer

'Warrior' is a gritty, action-packed crime drama set during the brutal Tong Wars of San Francisco's Chinatown in the late 19th century. The series follows Ah Sahm , a martial arts prodigy who emigrates from China to San Francisco under mysterious circumstances. After proving his worth as a fighter, Ah Sahm becomes a hatchet man for the Hop Wei, one of Chinatown's most powerful tongs (Chinese organized crime family).

Season two follows rival Chinatown tongs, the Hop Wei and the Long Zii, as they fight for dominance amidst the growing anti-Chinese racism that threatens to destroy them all. After barely surviving last season's disastrous showdown, Ah Sahm is back with the Hop Wei and determined to wreak vengeance on Long Zii's new leader, Mai Ling, who also happens to be his sister. Spending his nights honing his martial arts skills at a notorious Barbary Coast fight pit run by a savvy, opportunistic woman named Rosalita Vega, Ah Sahm harbors ambitions to topple Hop Wei head Father Jun. To accomplish this, he pushes tong heir Young Jun into a new opium deal and welcomes the arrival of an enthusiastic new recruit and fighter, Hong.

As the two tongs fight for dominance over the course of the season, both face numerous outside threats, including from the brutal Fung Hai tong and its nihilistic leader Zing, the embittered Irish labor movement led by tough-as-nails bar owner Dylan Leary, and the hostile local government under the politically spineless Mayor Blake and his scheming deputy, Walter Buckley. With the stakes mounting and tensions with her brother growing, Mai Ling struggles to control her new-partner Zing, and lover and tong lieutenant, Li Yong (Joe Taslim).

Meanwhile, brothel madame Ah Toy continues to pursue her secret and violent agenda and slowly becomes intrigued by Nellie Davenport, a wealthy widow using her fortune to rescue young Chinese sex workers. Struggling to get out from the Fung Hai's grip, debt-ridden police sergeant Bill O'Hara faces growing suspicion from his subordinate while fixer and profiteer Wang Chao continues to play both sides. Socialite-turned-businesswoman Penny Blake works to keep her father's factory open using Chinese labor and must adjust to the arrival of her young, rebellious sister Sophie who begins to cross family lines in favor of the Irish labor movement. Between the local political turmoil and the escalating gang violence, tensions in Chinatown threaten to boil over into a full-scale war that will raise the stakes and its survival of the fittest for those left standing.

Cast

Andrew Koji as Ah Sahm
Kieran Bew as Bill O'Hara
Olivia Cheng as Ah Toy
Dianne Doan as Mai Ling
Dean Jagger as Dylan Leary
Langley Kirkwood as Walter Buckley
Hoon Lee as Wang Chao
Christian McKay as Mayor Samuel Blake
Joe Taslim as Li Yong
Jason Tobin as Young Jun
Joanna Vanderham as Penelope Blake
Tom Weston-Jones as Richard Lee
Perry Yung as Father Jun
Celine Buckens as Sophie
Dustin Nguyen as Zing
Chen Tang as Hong
Miranda Raison as Nellie Davenport
Maria Elena Laas as Rosalita Vega

Cd6EXxo.jpg

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This might sound stupid to say, and the chances of this show continuing on our kinda slim either way, but if you want there to be any hope of the show getting a third season... I'd advise waiting until it hits HBO Max and watching it there. Or at least re-watching it all there once it hits. Unfortunately the ratings it gets on Cinemax will basically mean nothing.

All that said, super excited for season two as the first season was a real treat.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This might sound stupid to say, and the chances of this show continuing on our kinda slim either way, but if you want there to be any hope of the show getting a third season... I'd advise waiting until it hits HBO Max and watching it there. Or at least re-watching it all there once it hits. Unfortunately the ratings it gets on Cinemax will basically mean nothing.

All that said, super excited for season two as the first season was a real treat.
any idea when it'll it hbo max? I enjoyed season 1, but I think I'll wait to binge season 2.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Agents of Shield's Kora is in this?
Her acting was rough af....

She was fine on the first season. Tho, the role seemed geared towards cold with limited emotions, so i guess it was easier to act.

Anyway, i liked the first season very much, so i'm looking forward this new one.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
I believe YouTube TV has a free trial of Cinemax going on now, might have to go ahead and subscribe for the return next week. Like others have mentioned a Season 3 seems unlikely with the showrunner having moved on to See on Apple TV+, not sure what the cast options are like.

Either way I plan to enjoy Season 2 and hope Warrior paves the way for the other Cinemax shows to join it when it comes to HBO Max. When the show concludes it will mark the end of a nice little run martial arts shows had on TV with this, Into the Badlands, and Wu Assassins briefly.

I know the CW has Kung Fu coming, but not sure if the fight choreography will be on point.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
YES!!!!!!! what an awesome unexpected surprise!

even though i was a little disappointed with the way the first season ended
(i wish Ah Sahm started a third faction as the brothel's muscle instead of going back to the Hop Wei)
the show overall was awesome and i cant wait to dive back in. i dont even mind that a third season isn't likely, as long as this ends satisfactorily.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit about time. First season was some of the best action tv I've ever seen.

Its a travesty that HBO Max didn't pick this up for renewal. A show with majority asian leads is an anomaly, and its so good too. Choreography and the bruce lee swagger of Ah Sahm was fire.

Dude should have been cast as Spike over John Cho.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Oh shit about time. First season was some of the best action tv I've ever seen.

Its a travesty that HBO Max didn't pick this up for renewal. A show with majority asian leads is an anomaly, and its so good too. Choreography and the bruce lee swagger of Ah Sahm was fire.

Dude should have been cast as Spike over John Cho.

He does get to be Storm Shadow in the GI Joe spinoff movie at least.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
The season premiere is tonight!

Learn to Endure, or Hire a Bodyguard

Back with the Hop Wei, Ah Sahm (Andrew Koji) spends his nights at the Barbary Coast fight pit, confronting a new anti-Chinese group, Teddy's Boys. While Ah Toy (Olivia Cheng) accuses him of just looking for another fight, an empowered Mai Ling (Dianne Doan) worries about her brother's next steps. Meanwhile, Bill (Kieran Bew) finds it hard to break out of his role as enforcer for Zing; Penny (Joanna Vanderham) is determined to continue running Mercer Steel, much to Blake's (Christian McKay) dismay; and Chao (Hoon Lee) offers Ah Sahm some advice for his future with Young Jun (Jason Tobin).

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017

wait, this shows gonna be on HBO Max???!!!!

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Missed the first 20 minutes.

Damn. I had forgotten just how brutal this show is lol.

Last edited:

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Just finished watching the premiere. Pretty good start to the season. The new location of the fighting pits should provide a lot of action over the course of the season. Ah Sahm still moving reckless.

I forgot how much the theme song jams. Also like how Cinemax always does those little behind the scenes videos with the cast/crew after the episode ends.

DirtyManos

Oct 25, 2017
Oh shiiiiiit, thanks for make the thread. Was wondering when the new season would start - my wife and I were really into season 1.

Gotta tell her we'll watch it tomorrow evening

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Episode 2 was setting up more pieces for things that should have a bigger impact later on. Also introducing a couple new players to the board.

The Mayor on this show gets no respect, lol.

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
2 whole episodes in and no one has used the term "duck" to refer to White People yet....

It was used pretty liberally last season...

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Forgot about last week's episode and catching up now before the newest episode.

Damn. That fight scene with the smaller gang was brutal. Literal throat ripping. Glad that Li Yong is finally putting the pieces together irt Mai Ling.

Lol. Okay. I hope Hong doesn't die.

Bill is just getting fucked over at every chance he gets.

Last edited:

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Ep 3 - Hell of a way to close out the episode, with a bloody and intense fight for survival. Good thing Lee came for dinner.

I liked the introduction of the new guy Hong as part of the Hop Wei now and his use of the whip chain.

Seems like Penny and her sister might end up at odds over the course of the season.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Hong is there for the comedy effect but he'll die pretty soon.

Bill's shit will be for a while. There's no way he won't escape 5har shit regardless what year he's in, lol.l

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Hong is there for the comedy effect but he'll die pretty soon.

Bill's shit will be for a while. There's no way he won't escape 5har shit regardless what year he's in, lol.l
Yeah I was going to say his destiny is either to die or turn out to be a spy on Ah Sahm and Young Jun and then die.

Still think Zing ordering a hit on Bill was a dumb move.

beat

Oct 28, 2017
Still think Zing ordering a hit on Bill was a dumb move.
It is dumb, but Zing is a dumb tong boss. The other gangs think of the Fung Hai as barbarian savages and everything Zing's done has been reckless moves backed by violence. I don't see much shrewdness or calculation in him, just viciousness.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Kinda light on action this week, with more pieces being set for later on in the season.

Curious what the pic of Buckley doing that Ling is paying the detective for will depict.

The costumes of Mai Ling and Ah Toy really stand out on this show from everybody else.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
I missed the replay for last Friday's episode :( Just caught the last half of tonight's episode. No more Fung Hai. Good for Chao, Li Yong, and Bill.

Chao trying to get his kid to not live his life. I wanna see him interact with his daughter more but guess that's not happening anytime soon.

Lee is connecting more dots. Things just seem to line up perfectly for him at the destruction of the Fung Hai. Something is still amiss and Lee will figure it out.

Mai Ling is really feeling it now with what she did to Ah Sahm. Just that he doesn't give a shit anymore.

And they got Michael Bisping for the tourney next weekend! Excited to see how Ah Sahm destroy him lol.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
And they got Michael Bisping for the tourney next weekend! Excited to see how Ah Sahm destroy him lol.

I remember him popping up in an episode of Strike Back back in the day, cool to see him stay in the Cinemax family.

A lot of Ah Sahm's actions are driven by his anger towards Mai Ling. Tonight's episode was definitely a bounce back in terms of action.

Did not see the Nellie/Ah Toy thing happening.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Another action heavy episode with shades of Enter the Dragon w/the tournament setup and claw marks Ah Sahm gets on his chest. Cool to see Michael Bisping pop up as one of Ah Sahm's earlier opponents. I liked the capaoeira guy and wushu fighter with the flip kicks they showed as well.

Hong continues to be a nice addition to the group and love when he busts out the whip chain.

Great moment at the end of the episode as well.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Michael Bisping went out real quick lol. And of course Ah Sahm's newest love interest dies, and right after she found happiness :(

New leadership in Young Jun! Let's go.

Oh yeah I forgot that I missed the episode where Ah Toy hooked up with.... Nellie? Is that her name? Didn't catch her name earlier on in this season.

Well now..... That just happened and the only one left standing is Penny's driver. War is coming to Chinatown.....

Last edited:

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Well that escalated quickly - this season has had some killer endings, no pun intended.

It definitely seems like things are moving towards a head with 3 episodes left.

Ah Toy looks like she has a hit on her now, from her former business partner.

I hope that picture of Buckley that Mai Ling obtained isn't what I think it is.

Yung Jun in charge now, but Ah Sahm is making moves in the shadows.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Wrong time to decide to eat something during the Buckley flashback, maggots in his leg - yikes!

Cool opening with Yung Jun/ Ah Sahm, and Hong chatting, then the camera pulls back and you see the carnage.

Also liked the ending fight with Ah Toy, very suspenseful and depicted her desperation well without access to her weapons.