• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
She has benefited the most from the fake Biden "controversy" and, cynically, Sanders' heart attack.

The question is if those factors are causing a short-term boost, or a trend that will last to next year.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
She has benefited the most from the fake Biden "controversy" and, cynically, Sanders' heart attack.

The question is if those factors are causing a short-term boost, or a trend that will last to next year.
Her steady rise started long before Bernie's health scare. This is more a product of smart campaigning and more don't knows and Harris/booty people coming over

Edit: I'd add we haven't seen anything to indicate there's anything like a "short term bump" in her numbers. They've done nothing but go up for six months

GatsGatsby

Oct 27, 2017
West Columbia, SC
I will cry tears of pure fucking joy if she manages to pull this off and go all the way.

If Trump gets to the debates and pulls that shark circling shit he did with Clinton I got a feeling Liz will tell him to back off.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll take it. Honestly was going to back Bernie this time around but at this point I'm still not convinced he'll be healthy enough. Any news on that front?

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
Hopefully that marine scandal doesn't turn into another Benghazi or buttery mails witch hunt
It will have more legs than it should but most of Wohl's antics fizzle out before really catching on all that much. My hot take. Though, troublingly, Newsweek picked up the story and covered it pretty straight (even though it was discrediting the accuser), and Trump hasn't started tweeting about it yet which always fans the flames.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I agree it started before the heart attack, but I think it's certainly a factor that has helped cement/amplify the change.

See above.
It looks as though she may have gotten a point or two but I'm not sure it's anything more than that. Moving forward though anyone but the die hards are likely to coalesce behind her when she looks to be the front runner and that will shore her numbers up even more

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
The Marine story is patently ridiculous and no matter who covers it or how much trump says about it, it will not go anywhere

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
You don't think a near 80 year old having a heat attack, and that same candidate dropping in the polls over the last two weeks, are related?

Or that Bernie dropping and Warren rising are related, despite all the evidence that Dem voters see those two as being in the same "lane" meaning they're fighting over the exact same voters in what is a zero sum game? Just look at both lines over the last two weeks.

So "can we not" what exactly, discuss something that is 100% relevant to the subject of this thread?

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
It looks as though she may have gotten a point or two but I'm not sure it's anything more than that. Moving forward though anyone but the die hards are likely to coalesce behind her when she looks to be the front runner and that will shore her numbers up even more
Of course. The only way she wins is by becoming the consensus "not Biden" candidate.

Which she has a very good shot at.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I agree it started before the heart attack, but I think it's certainly a factor that has helped cement/amplify the change.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of evidence that says that though. It's convenient timing for her to overtake Biden but Biden has been hit over and over for stupid shit, had a horrible debate and suffered fundraising issues. And we've known for a while that Sanders voters second choice is largely Biden and not Warren so his heart attack thing, aside from not visibly moving the needle, wouldn't make a lot of sense.

Really it's just good campaigning and charisma at this point. She came out with a ton of plans and hard work.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't think a near 80 year old having a heat attack, and that same candidate dropping in the polls over the last two weeks, are related?

Or that Bernie dropping and Warren rising are related, despite all the evidence that Dem voters see those two as being in the same "lane" meaning they're fighting over the exact same voters in what is a zero sum game? Just look at both lines over the last two weeks.

So "can we not" what exactly, discuss something that is 100% relevant to the subject of this thread?

Yeah no one disagrees with this, but the joke itself was in bad taste

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Maybe if you didn't phrase it like a shitty fucking joke at the expense of someone who had a heart attack, we could discuss it just fine.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

This isn't true though. Most demographics show Biden and Sanders fighting for more similar voters. Warren's voters are more similar to Harris and Buttigieg's.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
There doesn't seem to be a lot of evidence that says that though. It's convenient timing for her to overtake Biden but Biden has been hit over and over for stupid shit, had a horrible debate and suffered fundraising issues. And we've known for a while that Sanders voters second choice is largely Biden and not Warren so his heart attack thing, aside from not visibly moving the needle, wouldn't make a lot of sense.

Really it's just good campaigning and charisma at this point. She came out with a ton of plans and hard work.
I mean, Biden having problems at the same time Sanders is having problems actually makes sense that departing Biden voters might not move to Sanders, even if he had previously been their second choice.

But yeah, cross tabs would be helpful, and like I said she was already on the rise when these things happened.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We could do a hell of a lot worse than Elizabeth Warren as the first female president. She's been my second choice since she announced. She's not a perfect candidate but she's better than the non-Bernie remainer of the field, and sets the stage for someone even further left after 8 years.

Meanwhile Bernie's numbers over the last week are looking like his EKG...

Classless.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Biden having problems at the same time Sanders is having problems actually makes sense that departing Biden voters might not move to Sanders, even if he had previously been their second choice.

But yeah, cross tabs would be helpful, and like I said she was already on the rise when these things happened.

I'm saying the issue isn't Trump's attack. It's everything else around Biden. The slide started prior. Poor 3rd quarter fundraising indicates an issue before the Ukraine stuff. I do think that means the voters being siphoned off are going in part to Warren though the brunt of her gain might be on Harris' loss.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
Cut a deal for Bernie as a VP and hammer out the small differences on the platforms; lets consolidation the progressive wing asap!

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
This isn't true though. Most demographics show Biden and Sanders fighting for more similar voters. Warren's voters are more similar to Harris and Buttigieg's.
Instead of linking articles I'll just post this:
SOCG9D0_d.jpg

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
We're going to be hearing a LOT more of Trump's "Pocahontas" slurs in the near future, aren't we...

Whoever gets the nom, I hope they crush him.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I'm saying the issue isn't Trump's attack. It's everything else around Biden. The slide started prior. Poor 3rd quarter fundraising indicates an issue before the Ukraine stuff. I do think that means the voters being siphoned off are going in part to Warren though the brunt of her gain might be on Harris' loss.
Ah, OK.

You could be right, or Trump's attacks have helped to enhance other issues that started to weaken Biden's standing. It certainly hasn't helped, as could conceivably happen if the Dem voting base decided to rally to Biden in an attempt to rebuff Trump.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, OK.

You could be right, or Trump's attacks have helped to enhance other issues that started to weaken Biden's standing. It certainly hasn't helped, as could conceivably happen if the Dem voting base decided to rally to Biden in an attempt to rebuff Trump.

Biden's response to the controversy has been pretty meek overall. As you said, he could have rallied the democrats on this issue. I mean, hell, it's THE issue they're going to impeach Trump on, but it feels like he disappeared. He's being too conservative and safe with it.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Losing two Dem senators from states with Republican governors so no progressive legislation is passed for the next decade?
There would be special elections in both states in a matter of months. While VT is weird I still don't think either would end up with GOP senators. That said there's absolutely no tactical reason to have an older VP with essentially the excat platform. It would be dumb and thankfully there's no chance of it happening

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Buy the dips on Warren, Biden in a descending triangle that will cause a violent crash once break of support

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't RCP run by hidden right-wing morons?

Not really hidden, but yeah it was founded by two conservatives back in the late 90s, early 2000s.

There's not a lot written about them but they're unabashedly conservatives of the Neocon mold:

The articles selected invariably demonstrate McIntyre and Bevan's political bent, about which they are unabashedly forthcoming. The Web site itself informs that " RealClearPolitics attempts to counterbalance the common liberal bias of the mainstream press by providing a more realistic look at the issues. Above all, we believe in freedom, personal responsibility, and the free market capitalist system -- [but do] not receive monetary support from any political party or outside interest groups."

"I'm not really a die-hard Republican because my interests are less on social issues, more on taxing and spending," explains McIntyre, who used to work for the Chicago Board of Options Exchange and stills does a little trading on the side. "But I definitely don't want the government telling me what to do with my property...Nevertheless, any political junkie -- even a liberal -- would enjoy our site because the topics we choose are current."

(this is from an article in 2001, one of the only bios of the founders I could find in ~30 seconds)

Still, their poll aggregates are just aggregates of other mainstream polls and they're usually not biased in what they aggregate. They aggregate all of th emajor mainstream polls and have been a pretty consistent resource without politicizing the poll collection.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Biden's response to the controversy has been pretty meek overall. As you said, he could have rallied the democrats on this issue. I mean, hell, it's THE issue they're going to impeach Trump on, but it feels like he disappeared. He's being too conservative and safe with it.
That's the problem with running a campaign under the assumption it's yours to lose. It makes you more concerned with not losing support, instead of growing the support you have.