• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A post so good it got that user banned and a mod who agreed with it deleted their post.
They were right about it being gross to use the framing of MeToo to try and win a political spat based on an unrelated issue. It trivializes the trauma and pain of sexual abuse victims. To be clear, Warren did not do that, but these pundits did and it's disgusting.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know why you'd bother making such an unquantifiable distinction for no reason and inexplicably assume no progressives were contributing posts. It's nonsense.
I didn't assume there weren't any progressives contributing to the conversation, you didn't read what I said properly. I'm calling out the idea that because era has hundreds of pages arguing over this that this is somehow representative of what progressives think.

Oct 27, 2017
No surprise here. The whole situation was blown out of proportion.

so it comes out that the campaign might not have done this *after* the Extremely Online folks decide to poison either candidate's supporters from considering the other.

also comes out that the mod that said trump's FP was good, actually, is deleting their own posts with nary a peep of transparency.

cool beans how this keeps happening!
Which mod?

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
At this point, with independent corroboration and common sense, you're not being savvy, man. It's just being cynical, or maybe willfully blind.
let me be clear because maybe i'm not communicating my issue. The warren campaign, independently of whether or not they wanted the story released calculated their response to put sanders on the defensive in the debate without being seen as out for blood.

I honestly don't care if they leaked it because the response and everything since then reeks of the fly by night schemes of political apparatchiks who think they can pull a house of cards in real life.
I'm not some neophite, irony poisoned Bernie bro. I'm number one Canadian. Number two a wild apologist for the LPC compared to most 'lefties'. Also for whatever its worth to you i'm a graduate student working in the field of political communications and I've worked on multiple campaigns. You can disagree on the conclusion but trying to tell me that my instincts for sniffing out bullshit are just some overly cynical bias against liberals is not gonna work.

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Bad faith misrepresentation, thread derailment
also comes out that the mod that said trump's FP was good, actually, is deleting their own posts with nary a peep of transparency.

yep, I know who you're talking about. Clown shoes indeed. Not sure why they are still a mod.

Oct 28, 2017
At this point, with independent corroboration and common sense, you're not being savvy, man. It's just being cynical, or maybe willfully blind.

Question for you...did you actually read the intercept article?

There is no independent corroboration in the way you are framing it...the article just states two things: that the Warren campaign denies it and that she told some journalists so it is theoretically within the realm of possibility that she's telling the truth.

Direct quote from the article itself..."The revelation does not rule out the possibility that someone in her campaign was a source, but it opens up other possibilities, as well."

This isn't some slam dunk proving her innocence. A few journalists were told the story off the record, if her campaign didn't leak it and these journalists didn't get the green light from then and 'burned' her then why isn't she throwing those journalists under the bus?

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
yeah no, to both points

imagine that, politics being cynical
Honestly, cynicism is the dumb man's idea of what it means to be smart. Punditbrain shit. Sometimes the public explanation *is* the actual explanation.
let me be clear because maybe i'm not communicating my issue. The warren campaign, independently of whether or not they wanted the story released calculated their response to put sanders on the defensive in the debate without being seen as out for blood.

I honestly don't care if they leaked it because the response and everything since then reeks of the fly by night schemes of political apparatchiks who think they can pull a house of cards in real life.
I'm not some neophite, irony poisoned Bernie bro. I'm number one Canadian. Number two a wild apologist for the LPC compared to most 'lefties'. Also for whatever its worth to you i'm a graduate student working in the field of political communications and I've worked on multiple campaigns. You can disagree on the conclusion but trying to tell me that my instincts for sniffing out bullshit are just some overly cynical bias against liberals is not gonna work.
I don't think you have some anti-liberal bias - as far as I know this is the first time we've spoken, lol. But it reads like you, like a lot of people, sorta picked up the idea that the least generous, most cynical interpretation is the savviest and most accurate, and it's just not. The Warren camp didn't weigh in until after Bernie already made a definitive "this didn't happen" statement, which, judging by how angry Warren was after the debate, they seemed to take personally. So the campaign issues a statement saying "no, it did happen, but let's move on." That's not really a good way to put Sanders on the defensive considering it didn't come until after he had already set out to defend himself.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was one of the dumbest fucking disputes in campaign history. More than 30 pages on this shit good grief

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Honestly, cynicism is the dumb man's idea of what it means to be smart. Punditbrain shit. Sometimes the public explanation *is* the actual explanation.

I don't think you have some anti-liberal bias - as far as I know this is the first time we've spoken, lol. But it reads like you, like a lot of people, sorta picked up the idea that the least generous, most cynical interpretation is the savviest and most accurate, and it's just not. The Warren camp didn't weigh in until after Bernie already made a definitive "this didn't happen" statement, which, judging by how angry Warren was after the debate, they seemed to take personally. So the campaign issues a statement saying "no, it did happen, but let's move on." That's not really a good way to put Sanders on the defensive considering it didn't come until after he had already set out to defend himself.

As I say again and again, if Warren didn't want this to be talked about, all she had to do was confirm Bernie's denial. That she contradicted him necessarily created the conditions to have it litigated in the media. The only possible interpretations of this are that she deliberately saw an opening to reopen some of the 2016 wounds associated with Bernie, or that she has absolutely zero media savvy if she is telling the truth.

Neither of these scenarios paint her in a very flattering light, but at least if it's intentional, you can give her some credit for ruthlessness and gusto.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario

You can judge for yourself there, but it certainly seems far different from "Trump's foreign policy is good."
Yeah sorry folks there's an argument to be made there. Competence and decisiveness are not necessarily positive qualities in american foreign policy. Maybe if you want to argue that the international damage from tariffs and the fact that the Iran tensions haven't resolved but in terms of interventions it's entirely reasonable to assert that there is a non-zero chance Hillary would have been worse SPECIFICALLY in terms of interventions.

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This only makes Warren's reaction even more sloppy and disappointing.Why take the bait? Why keep giving fire to the story?

Unfortunately the damage is done and she is further slipping in the polls.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
It feels weird to start a separate thread for the same article, but the more I think about it the more taken aback I am that no one's talking about the point of the article: that Sanders was/is considering an unprecedented position for Warren (VP & Treasury Secretary at the same time) should he win. Like yeah the divisiveness thing attracts more attention but this is a huge deal.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so it comes out that the campaign might not have done this *after* the Extremely Online folks decide to poison either candidate's supporters from considering the other.

strangely indignant post, since nothing has changed.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
is that what happened? because that sounds a lot different than the original accusation
I feel like lambasting South American users for being distrustful of the US political establishment, when that same establishment had a role in destroying multiple countries in that region, is getting really close to victim blaming. I don't agree with what Brazil said, but he and other Central and South American users have plenty of legitimate reasons to feel the way they do about US politics and politicians.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Good thing they manufactured this to bury the news that the other side tried to get a hit on a US ambassador,
great use of everyone's time.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Whether or not Bernie said a woman can't be president, Warren shouldn't have taken the bait from CNN. This meeting was before Bernie and Warren announcement to run for president.

She should have just said that she disagreed and say they're both running to get rid of the special interest in Washington.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
Reminder that the initial headlines were that Bernie doesn't think "a woman can be President." And that's what was being spread.

Bernie had no choice but to vehemently deny it because that's truly not what he believes. Even Bernie skeptical people would not claim he said that.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Maybe next time quote the post youre talking about rather than trying to distort what happened to push a narrative.
The "Clinton foreign policy would have been potentially worse than Trump's" is ridiculous. Between that and lauding (then deleting) a post that supports a take dismissing concerns of issues around sexism... 👀
Didn't do that either and I'll say the same thing I said to midnight jon too. Quote the actual posts youre referring to so as not to spin the conversation to fit a narrative you want. This would be particularly helpful to you since so often have people accusing you of being a bad faith poster. (Especially so when the post in question comes from a mod).

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Whether or not Bernie said a woman can't be president, Warren shouldn't have taken the bait from CNN. This meeting was before Bernie and Warren announcement to run for president.

She should have just said that she disagreed and say they're both running to get rid of the special interest in Washington.
Liz isn't street smart, she ALWAYS takes the bait

She accepted Donald Trump's DNA Challenge for crying out loud.
Who does that? Accept Trump's DNA Challenge?

and now this? failling for CNN's trap?

Warren is bad at this

Trump would tear her apart in the general election

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that the initial headlines were that Bernie doesn't think "a woman can be President." And that's what was being spread.

Bernie had no choice but to vehemently deny it because that's truly not what he believes. Even Bernie skeptical people would not claim he said that.
also I feel like people are forgetting (or maybe intentionally being obtuse) that Bernie's initial response was that the people who leaked the story were lying. Warren had not commented at that point and there was no reason to think he was calling her a liar.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Were they even deleting their posts as someone said up-thread?

There's no way to know who deleted what post unless you're on the staff, so it's not really a thing we can discuss.

The "Clinton foreign policy would have been potentially worse than Trump's" is ridiculous. Between that and lauding (then deleting) a post that supports a take dismissing concerns of issues around sexism... 👀

The post he had supported was an effort post that went out of its way to emphasize the nuance of fighting sexual abuse vs. using the language of sexual abuse in other contexts to score points. It was a bad call to begin with and nothing about the post dismissed anything until it was given that label.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I like how CNN hasn't talked about this again or bothered to make a correction. Just gross.

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Liz isn't street smart, she ALWAYS takes the bait

She accepted Donald Trump's DNA Challenge for crying out loud.
Who does that? Accept Trump's DNA Challenge?

and now this? failling for CNN's trap?

Warren is bad at this

Trump would tear her apart in the general election

Yeah this is yet another indication that she and her campaign don't know how to properly fight back. They would get anhilitated in the generals. They ALWAYS.TAKE.THE.BAIT.
They took the bait with the DNA thing.
They took the bait with Pete/Amy/Joe's Medicare For All attack.
And now this with CNN.

Please don't let her win.

Omg I can't believe I am agreeing with you lmao.

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't do that either and I'll say the same thing I said to midnight jon too. Quote the actual posts youre referring to so as not to spin the conversation to fit a narrative you want. This would be particularly helpful to you since so often have people accusing you of being a bad faith poster. (Especially so when the post in question comes from a mod).

? It did exactly that: https://www.resetera.com/threads/hi...r-first-interview.157162/page-2#post-27075221

And regardless of opinions, deleting your own posts as a mod without reason is a bad look.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like lambasting South American users for being distrustful of the US political establishment, when that same establishment had a role in destroying multiple countries in that region, is getting really close to victim blaming. I don't agree with what Brazil said, but he and other Central and South American users have plenty of legitimate reasons to feel the way they do about US politics and politicians.

yeah I agree. the original post I quoted seems kind of reckless in its mischaracterization tbh

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe next time quote the post youre talking about rather than trying to distort what happened to push a narrative.

Huh?

With regard to the post in the Stern thread, I'm paraphrasing and using almost exactly that user's own words. With regard to post regarding issues around sexism, that was certainly my interpretation of it and it was also the moderation team's interpretation of it per their note in the ban message. Trying to infer that I'm "spinning" the conversation is inaccurate. All you need to do is look at both of the posts in question to know that's true.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You can reference the other posts on the matter in here, like Otisa's for a response to that assertion. Not to mention that post DOES NOT say Trump's FP is good (and like crazy you even quoted it and still tried to suggest it did).
Huh?

With regard to the post in the Stern thread, I'm paraphrasing and using almost exactly that user's own words. With regard to post regarding issues around sexism, that was certainly my interpretation of it and it was also the moderation team's interpretation of it per their note in the ban message. Trying to infer that I'm "spinning" the conversation is inaccurate. All you need to do is look at both of the posts in question to know that's true.
Quote. The. Post. Your paraphrasing means less than nothing to me in these threads.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I like how CNN hasn't talked about this again or bothered to make a correction. Just gross.
that's because the opposite intended affect happened.

CNN wants to wreck the chances of both progressive candidates so an Insurance Company darling wins the nomination.

so if Sanders and Warren get into a feud, then both divide... Biden (or Pete or Bloomberg) slips through, Insurance Companies are saved.

But, the results is that Warren in now tanking while Bernie is up there in direct competition with Biden now
--

CNN has been in the tank for Insurance Companies all year long during this Primary Season.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao I can't wait for Bernie to win the nomination and Obama going full cockblock. Has a scenario like that happened before in a primary?