• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I need some explanation, Schrier article said Wall Street expected the deal was going to fail, while the extract posted here says Buffet expects the deal to go through, so how does this validates the idea that the deal is going to fail?

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I need some explanation, Schrier article said Wall Street expected the deal was going to fail, while the extract posted here says Buffet expects the deal to go through, so how does this validates the idea that the deal is going to fail?

Buffet is essentially making a wager that exists because of the conditions outlined in the Bloomberg article's premise. The issues that so many people here lack basic reading comprehension/critical thinking skills, can't be bothered to read past headlines, and can seemingly only think in console warrior driven absolutes, so that Jason/Bloomberg article suddenly became them making some sort of declaration that the deal is going to fail, which was, like, not at all the premise, only a vast majority of this community either lacks the ability or the want to have any sort of meaningful discussion on that end. Like someone else mentioned, people took that initial thread/article as some personal affront to Microsoft/Xbox, because thats the only lens through which they view the gaming industry, and from that point on it became pretty impossible for the discourse around this to be anything but shit.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
The article was Wall Street Betting on Activision deal to fail. It was nonsense based on no new information at all.

If you think this proves the article is right, would Buffet not boosting his stake make the article wrong?
No. The article was about the stock price being below what it should because the market has some doubt about the deal going through.

The fact the Buffett bought these shares shows that he agrees with the article's argument: "yes, the share price is lower than it should be, so I can make some money here because I think the deal will go through."

At no point was the Bloomberg article arguing that the deal will fail.
See above.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
No. The article was about the stock price being below what it should because the market has some doubt about the deal going through.

The fact the Buffett bought these shares shows that he agrees with the article's argument: "yes, the share price is lower than it should be, so I can make some money here because I think the deal will go through."

See above.
Matt are you looking forward to another thread of having to repeat yourself in circles to explain basic market mechanics? :p

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Buffet is essentially making a wager that exists because of the conditions outlined in the Bloomberg article's premise. The issues that so many people here lack basic reading comprehension/critical thinking skills, can't be bothered to read past headlines, and can seemingly only think in console warrior driven absolutes, so that Jason/Bloomberg article suddenly became them making some sort of declaration that the deal is going to fail, which was, like, not at all the premise, only a vast majority of this community either lacks the ability or the want to have any sort of meaningful discussion on that end. Like someone else mentioned, people took that initial thread/article as some personal affront to Microsoft/Xbox, because thats the only lens through which they view the gaming industry, and from that point on it became pretty impossible for the discourse around this to be anything but shit.

So basically, bloomberg indicated that wall street investors were going to bet on whatever the deal was going to fail or not, and people took it as "Everybody expects the deal is going to fail?"

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
This issue I have with Jason's article is it presented a presupposition that "the market believes the deal will fail," which is an extremely reductive, arguably dishonest, framing. The "market" may very likely believe the deal has a greater chance of going through than not, but it may not view the return being worth the current risk + estimated time horizon of the return + opportunity cost.

Last edited:

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017

See above.
The article was literally titled that Wall Street is betting the deal still fail. Meanwhile wall Street was planning on increasing their interest. Are your saying Buffet decided to do this afterwards? After the article?

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
So basically, bloomberg indicated that wall street investors were going to bet on whatever the deal was going to fail or not, and people took it as "Everybody expects the deal is going to fail?"

Its like if Las Vegas bookies thought the Rams were going to win the Super Bowl, and made the Bengals the underdog, and Warren Buffet, who thought that the Bengals had a chance to win, saw that as an opportunity to make some money, one that wouldn't exist if the Bengals were the favorite, and put a big wager on them to win.

As is the case with insiders/industry folk though, people take everything they say as some sort of declaration of fact even when its never intended to be that because they can't put their Console Warrior capes down for 2 seconds to look at things from a reasonable viewpoint.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Same thing I did.

Ironically this proves the Bloomberg article's point, but something makes me think that nuance will be missed…
But how can you be sure when more people selling than buying means that the price will go up and isn't the liquidity for ATVI all over the map anyway..!?

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Its like if Las Vegas bookies thought the Rams were going to win the Super Bowl, and made the Bengals the underdog, and Warren Buffet, who thought that the Bengals had a chance to win, saw that as an opportunity to make some money, one that wouldn't exist if the Bengals were the favorite, and put a big wager on them to win.

As is the case with insiders/industry folk though, people take everything they say as some sort of declaration of fact even when its never intended to be that because they can't put their Console Warrior capes down for 2 seconds to look at things from a reasonable viewpoint.

Gotcha thanks for the sports analogy

Kastanjemanden

alt account
Banned
Jan 23, 2022
Dudes old and is giving his money away when he dies, do we really care what he's doing? He could revive MySpace if he felt like it.

Oct 27, 2017
Well Activision is almost guaranteed to go up now, Buffet makes his own momentum in the stock market, people will see that Buffet bought a large share and jump on the bandwagon.

overthewaves

Sep 30, 2020
The article was literally titled that Wall Street is betting the deal still fail. Meanwhile wall Street was planning on increasing their interest. Are your saying Buffet decided to do this afterwards? After the article?

It was definitely a bad headline. Betting against a stock would shorting it and I honestly don't know who on their right mind would short ATVI with the acquisition incoming, unless they're absolutely positive that the DOJ will block it. The whole market is just down cause of bearish economic fears, inflation, war, etc. Growth expectations every quarter for all these companies are basically unsustainable, a lot of them are just offering lame ass buybacks.

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
This was probably all just a mistake. He told an intern to boost their stake in Blizzards, the ice cream. Oopsie!

(Warren and Berkshire Hathaway own DQ, so... not ruling this out)

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Who's Warren Buffett ?

TBS_15.jpg
Incredible and disheartening movie lol.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
No, Buffett decided to do this after he saw the market reaction, which gave him an opportunity. The market is not a monolith, he's betting the overall market hedging is wrong, and I have done the same.

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
Should I drop $1000 on that on Monday? What do I seek to gain if it goes through?

Twitter is in a similar position right? If it goes through it's a big payout.

Before anyone says anything not financial advice and I know it can just crash if deals fall apart.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
oh billionaires making more money? I love seeing more of that.

Last edited:

a916

Oct 25, 2017
If someone thinks this buyout will go through, what's stopping them from buying out options on this with a strike price lower than the $95?

The options would be valued for a cash settlement because this is an all-cash buyout. Especially if the strike price is lower than the buyout offer.

I'm having a hard time finding information this (like do you lose the premium as well and just get the difference between strike and offer price?)

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Should I drop $1000 on that on Monday? What do I seek to gain if it goes through?

Twitter is in a similar position right? If it goes through it's a big payout.

Before anyone says anything not financial advice and I know it can just crash if deals fall apart.
You'll get about a 25% return on AB.

Just 10%ish on Twitter.

If someone thinks this buyout will go through, what's stopping them from buying out options on this with a strike price lower than the $95?

The options would be valued for a cash settlement because this is an all-cash buyout. Especially if the strike price is lower than the buyout offer.

I'm having a hard time finding information this (like do you lose the premium as well and just get the difference between strike and offer price?)
Absolutely nothing.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
User warned: mod whining
Lol bizarre warning for that post when some many posts on this forum are overt trolling and concern trolling and nobody is warned in those cases.

Deleted member 49482

Banned
Nov 8, 2018
From what I can tell, the article never presented this argument. The only substance it states with regard to the share price is that spread between the current price and offer price represents a greater premium than "most of the announced -- but still pending -- deals tracked by Bloomberg."

It actually seems to be a rather neutral article with the exception of the language used in the headline, which doesn't appear to be supported by the text in the article. Even the presentation of the article's premise as stated in its first paragraph has a real and distinct difference to how it is presented in the headline.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
He's the guy who said "Be greedy when others are fearful", right?

Seems to be what he's doing here. Wall Street is fearful on the deal, so he's being greedy.

V3N1X

Prophet of Truth
Oct 16, 2021
Alexandria, Egypt
It was definitely a bad headline. Betting against a stock would shorting it and I honestly don't know who on their right mind would short ATVI with the acquisition incoming, unless they're absolutely positive that the DOJ will block it. The whole market is just down cause of bearish economic fears, inflation, war, etc. Growth expectations every quarter for all these companies are basically unsustainable, a lot of them are just offering lame ass buybacks.

It's a bad article (bad arguments and a bad conclusion), every single analyst recommendation is to either hold or buy ATVI stock https://www.msn.com/fr-fr/finance/d...Money11&cvid=11227b0ed0a14d9eaa6df5b203083f24

ERA has a really weird reaction to Schrier articles, arguments both for (appeal to authority much?) and against that I'm seeing are just something else... but like exactly what you said, if WallStreet ever thought the deal won't get through they'd be shorting the stock like crazy (because ATVI stock would lose lots of value if deal falls through).

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Lol bizarre warning for that post when some many posts on this forum are overt trolling and concern trolling and nobody is warned in those cases.

Honestly I agree that it was pretty much the perfect post. It was simply funny and perhaps had a bit too much truth to it.

People vastly overestimate the group-think all over the internet.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
No, "wall Street" wasn't "planning on increasing their interest." Warren Buffet was, precisely because he thought the market at large was undervaluing the stock, which was the phenomenon Shreier was describing. He's making a bet that the rest of the market is wrong in their apparent caution regarding the Microsoft transaction. If the market at large was increasing their interest, the arbitrage opportunity Buffet is trying to take advantage of wouldn't exist, because the price for Activision stock would be much closer to Microsoft's purchase price for it.

You're fundamentally misunderstanding both what Shreier was claiming and what Buffet is doing.

V3N1X

Prophet of Truth
Oct 16, 2021
Alexandria, Egypt

He's still wrong though... and digging himself deeper trying to defend a bad piece.

Short interest is sitting at 18.11 million shares, that's only 2.48% of Float, that's the number of shares that have been sold short and not yet closed out... no one is betting against the deal falling through except whomever is shorting those 18 million shares, out of ~800 million.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
This issue I have with Jason's article is it presented a presupposition that "the market believes the deal will fail," which is an extremely reductive, arguably dishonest, framing. The "market" may very likely believe the deal has a greater chance of going through than not, but it may not view the return being worth the current risk + estimated time horizon of the return + opportunity cost.
Yeah for mine the headline "Wall Street bets deal will fail" is click bait if the premise of the article was "stock is undervalued but deal likely to go through"

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
if the layman keeps misunderstanding the articles intent based on the headline maybe it's a misleading headline? 🤷‍♂️
Not really? It's more that it's an article describing market behavior, with a headline about market behavior, and then it gets posted here, at a video game enthusiast site, where a lot of people who are not used to reading articles about market behavior (and are maybe a little sensitive to the idea that the merger isn't a sure thing) apparently took the headline to mean "Jason Schreier Says: The Merger Won't Happen." And, like, that's on us, not Bloomberg.

The headline was fine. It was a businessy headline in a businessy publication. A lot of people here just…don't seem to understand the world of business very much, as some of the cringier posts in this thread prove.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
It's also worth noting that the stock market is rarely rational, and stocks go up and down on whims and emotion. Basing the outcome of any critical business deal on how the market is reacting is a surefire way of missing the mark.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I won't lie, bought some shares after Bloomberg article since it kind of seemed free 25% profit. Better short term profit vs holding money in either stocks that may tank or cash with inflation or even treasuries giving out a few percentage points.

Deleted member 49482

Banned
Nov 8, 2018
The headline was fine. It was a businessy headline in a businessy publication. A lot of people here just…don't seem to understand the world of business very much, as some of the cringier posts in this thread prove.
I would argue that not only is the headline not "fine," it doesn't even align with the text of the article or what I can perceive as the general market / wall street sentiment.