• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
EDIT: Seems this was unintentional. Possibly a previous flag on your account that didn't get removed? Rockstar's looking into it. Threadmark added.

A couple members shared this in the GTAV Remaster thread, but it appears Rockstar is not allowing GTAO character transfers for characters that have previously been imported into GTAO on PC. So if you imported your PS4 character to GTAO PC 7 years ago, but then continued to play on PS4 and now want to upgrade from PS4 to PS5 with that character, you're out of luck.

To further complicate things, once you transfer from PS4>PS5 or XBO>XSX -- your previous gen GTAO character is removed. The game does not have crossplay. Not even between the same family of console versions.

So, PSA: if you have a group that you play with, this could really mess things up as you may not be able to transfer and your friends who have already transferred will not be able to go back to previous gen.

A pretty big mess in my opinion, and really disappointing.
5y1zjmm89dn81.jpg

Last edited:

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
wait, GTA Online cannot crossgen play between the same family of systems like PS4 and PS5? Or Xbox One and Series X/S?

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
This shit is bananas. What the hell are they doing?

This is where you gotta applaud Epic with Rocket League and Fortnite.

No complex shit. Just have your epic Id ready, login and bam. All your characters and items are there.

Yeah the vbucks thing sucks, but eh, I've played Fortnite on almost every console it's supported on except the series x and I never had to jump through any complex shit.

Rockstar handling the GTA online switch is truly a mess. Especially since it's their biggest breadwinner.

OP
OP
IMACOMPUTA

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
wait, GTA Online cannot crossgen play between the same family of systems like PS4 and PS5? Or Xbox One and Series X/S?
No, and it's likely due to technical reasons. Like they've allowed an increased speed of cars which was not possible last gen due to asset streaming limitations on mechanical HDDs.

But it definitely further complicates this mess, because my friends are not going to skip the ps5 upgrade just to be able to play with me while I'm stuck on the PS4 because 7 years ago I poked around on GTAO PC before realizing it's an unmitigated hacker's wasteland.

You can't transfer your save data from PC to PS5, if you previously did PS4>PC.
You cannot transfer your save data from PS4>PS5 if you previously did PS4>PC.

I say transfer, but when I imported my character to PC all those years back, I still had them on the PS4. It really duplicated my character.
It makes this decision even more bizarre.

Last edited:

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad I never got into this originally, so I'll be starting a new character. But man that's bad, wow.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017

No complex shit. Just have your epic Id ready, login and bam. All your characters and items are there.

Yeah the vbucks thing sucks, but eh, I've played Fortnite on almost every console it's supported on except the series x and I never had to jump through any complex shit.

Rockstar handling the GTA online switch is truly a mess. Especially since it's their biggest breadwinner.

Bouncing between the PS5 and Stadia versions of Destiny 2 recently blew my mind. It's seamless.

I've got $14 million sitting on my PS4 character that I can't use. I've bought this game three times already, and this one bad decision makes it very easy for me to not bother upgrading. You can't even call this an "anti-consumer" move, it's just plain boneheaded.

Sotonian

Oct 25, 2017
Also, if you do manage to transfer over, your previous gen character gets deleted. Meaning if you transfer a character from PS4 to PS5, you will only have that character on PS5 from then on, with no crossplay

Phokal

Oct 25, 2017
WI
This is pretty frustrating. I think I dabbled on PC a bit? So I'm probably going to get nailed by this, when Rockstar Social should be adding full crossprogression/play with this release....

OP
OP
IMACOMPUTA

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
Also, if you do manage to transfer over, your previous gen character gets deleted. Meaning if you transfer a character from PS4 to PS5, you will only have that character on PS5 from then on, with no crossplay
yep.. and likely not realize that some of your friends will be prevented from moving to PS5 with you.

The Hobo

Oct 27, 2017
So basically you can't move to the current gen consoles of you want to keep playing with friends who are still on last gen. What a fuckup.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

To be fair, I can sort of give Rockstar a Pass, because before Crossplay was opened to all, Microsoft was being a big bitch in terms of Crossplay during the Xbox 360 generation. And then Sony was being a big bitch in terms of showing that Crossplay only mattered to them when Microsoft didn't do it, at which point they slammed the door shut on its face an entire generation until they had to be dragged out kicking and screaming.

Crossplay was only allowed across all platforms once Microsoft opened the floodgates with Xbox/PC for some of their crossbuy titles, then blew the door wide-opened with Minecraft by enabling Cross-play with Switch and Mobile devices, then denied Playstation Updates with Minecraft until Sony Changed their Policies. And then not even that got Sony to budge until Rocket League enabled Crossplay on Xbox/PC/Switch, a bunch of other titles got Xbox/PC/Switch Crossplay, and then Fortnite implemented Crossplay. And even then Sony didn't agree until Epic one day put out a blog post saying "Ooops, it turns out that for the past 2 weeks we accidently had Crossplay turned on in Fortnite between Playstation and Xbox/PC/Switch. We are so incredibly sorry ;)" which blew Sony's arguments out of the water and got them to change their policy a week and a half later after the Fortnite kids got sent after them.

So basically Crossplay not being supported by GTA5 and GTA Online is 100% acceptable given the circumstances that whole feature was wrapped up in. What isn't acceptable is that after the policy changed, Rockstart never bothered to try and unify the platforms. That one is 100% on them.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
"Your understanding would be much appreciated"

I love that line and I'm going to use it at work.

"No, I will not be finishing this project on time because I've been sitting naked watching Simpsons clips on YouTube. Your understanding would be appreciated."

Back to the topic though, I'm not surprised because the transfer was restricted similarly back in the 360/PS3 -> XboxOne/PS4 transition. It wasn't a shared character, you transferred it once, and that character lived on that platform. And correct me if I'm wrong, but if you transferred that character to PC then it lived on that platform, and you had separate characters, not linked or anything like that. So effectively you had your 360 guy, your Xbox One guy, your PC guy, and despite all being on Microsoft platforms they basically branched off of one another into separate universes.

It sucks but it's not surprising to me. Ideally Rockstar just has it all work, like you have one character stored in the cloud and as long as the capabilities are the same on the other platforms, it just applies that character to the platform with some realistic limits... Like, for instance, 360 stopped getting meaningful updates for this game years ago, and so obviously you can't bring your XboxOne-era vehicles, hotel, etc, to the 360 game world, and so I think there's some reasonable limits there that would be expected.

Also, it's news to me that it's not cross gen between PS5->PS4 / Xbox Series -> Xbox One. I figured it'd be like RDR2 in that regard, but I guess this is a separate game. I don't really care, but it's surprising to me I thought it'd be like RDR2 where I play with a gang that's about 30% Xbox Series and 70% Xbox One, at least we were about half a year ago and I haven't played with those guys in a while.

OP
OP
IMACOMPUTA

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
"Your understanding would be much appreciated"

I love that line and I'm going to use it at work.

"No, I will not be finishing this project on time because I've been sitting naked watching Simpsons clips on YouTube. Your understanding would be appreciated."

Back to the topic though, I'm not surprised because the transfer was restricted similarly back in the 360/PS3 -> XboxOne/PS4 transition. It wasn't a shared character, you transferred it once, and that character lived on that platform. And correct me if I'm wrong, but if you transferred that character to PC then it lived on that platform, and you had separate characters, not linked or anything like that. So effectively you had your 360 guy, your Xbox One guy, your PC guy, and despite all being on Microsoft platforms they basically branched off of one another into separate universes.

It sucks but it's not surprising to me. Ideally Rockstar just has it all work, like you have one character stored in the cloud and as long as the capabilities are the same on the other platforms, it just applies that character to the platform with some realistic limits... Like, for instance, 360 stopped getting meaningful updates for this game years ago, and so obviously you can't bring your XboxOne-era vehicles, hotel, etc, to the 360 game world, and so I think there's some reasonable limits there that would be expected.

Also, it's news to me that it's not cross gen between PS5->PS4 / Xbox Series -> Xbox One. I figured it'd be like RDR2 in that regard, but I guess this is a separate game. I don't really care, but it's surprising to me I thought it'd be like RDR2 where I play with a gang that's about 30% Xbox Series and 70% Xbox One, at least we were about half a year ago and I haven't played with those guys in a while.
Yes you're right, you essentially forked your character while importing to PC. Not sure if the PS3>PS4 import was the same, but I think so.

I just don't understand the reasoning behind it in this case.

Nahbac

Nov 11, 2018
To further complicate things, once you transfer from PS4>PS5 or XBO>XSX -- your previous gen GTAO character is removed. The game does not have crossplay. Not even between the same family of console versions.

So, PSA: if you have a group that you play with, this could really mess things up as you may not be able to transfer and your friends who have already transferred will not be able to go back to previous gen.
Wait am I reading this right: if you transfer from ps4 to ps5 then your character gets deleted from the ps4 version? That's insane

Mr Punished

Oct 27, 2017
OUTER HEAVEN
Wait am I reading this right: if you transfer from ps4 to ps5 then your character gets deleted from the ps4 version? That's insane
Yep, can confirm. The way it's sep up is utterly bonkers, especially considering they've done this already with PS360 to PS4/XB1 over 5 years ago and have somehow made the process all the worse. In an age with crossplay and cross progression being common it sticks out even more.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
IMACOMPUTA no disrespect intended, but I removed your thread banner because the text running under the thread title was kinda messy and that can affect the visually impaired.