• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Anyone got any recommendations for tried and tested websites that offer the same or a similar service? Thanks :)

klee123

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I've stopped importing with them with the shit they tried to pull with shipping prices and crappy customer service.

The DOA fiasco just affirmed my decision.

I pretty much buy from ami ami or CD Japan exclusively now for Japanese imports.

Last edited:

GKSilKamina

Oct 25, 2017
Festering Swamp, USA
What a bummer. Play-Asia was the first website I used to import stuff. Haven't used them in years thanks to their high shipping costs and switching my import CD book/CD shop to CDJapan.

Looks like I won't be a returning customer.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, never realized Play Asia went to shit. It's the only place I know that ships to my country with a reasonable shipping cost.

Alexem

Oct 27, 2017
Essex, UK
I've not used them since the 3DS was region-locked - they used to be handy for importing US games to the UK - but with the Switch being region-free, they were the first company that came to mind when I was thinking of importing again. Having read all of this after not paying any attention to them for years, though, I've no intention of giving them my business again. If they're willing to pander to the GG crowd for the sake of sales, I think that tells me all that I need to know about their attitude to consumers and how they want to run their organisation.

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a need for an Import OT? Seems many people don't know which alternatives there are for Play-Asia and I think a lot of people are still unaware that Amazon JP ships internationally for many items and that sites like YesAsia (at least last I looked) and HeavyArm also sell Asian games. I haven't used Play-Asia in years, even before the whole GamerGate stuff, because there were always way better and cheaper alternatives (though ymmv depending on where you're from).

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
If they carry the product I want at a more competitive price than their competitors I'll still buy from them. Same as I would buy from their competitors if they were priced better.

Was there any proof they sent their followers after somebody or is this a case of the followers making their own decisions and the company being blamed?
I don't get the OP, but I'll do business where I save the most money.

If it's PA then so be it.
It's just sad some people have no principles in life other than selfishness and money.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a pair of Virtua Stick High Grades I bought from them back in the day that are still in use thanks to them. Also got my PS3 copy of Gundam Extreme VS from there. Since I've gone all digital with my games though, I don't have much of a reason to buy stuff from them anymore

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
P-A was the store I bought at when I lived in Taiwan. Must've got three figures worth of items from them. This is really shitty and I'm almost sad I'm not in a position any more where I can actively take my business elsewhere.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
What's interesting (and I've seen this happen over and over in many social issue threads) is the need for people to post in defiance and say they'll buy/continue said behavior. And I'm referring to very specific posting behavior - often stating that they will dismiss said information and can't wait to enjoy it etc. Last Night, Kingdom Come and so on. It's like a reverse virtual signaling of sorts. Sorry for the meta post, but this keeps coming up.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
What principles? I have to be concerned about some nonsensical twitter fued?
They openly side with neo nazis/nazi sympathizers and push followers to harass private individuals. You'd figure that would be enough for people who give a shit to go elsewhere with their money but apparently their precious games and occasionally saving a few bucks is put above all else.

Ventilation Stick

Alt account
Banned
Apr 2, 2018
Tecmo blamed the west's views on sexualization for not releasing DoA Extreme 3 (really, it's because these games dont sell well), Play Asia said they're fighting the SJW boogeyman by selling the Asian version (which is in english) on their site

I mean if this is the extent of the doa hing it just reads like pa would sell the uncensored doa.

This doesn't read as a "no doing business anymore" situation unless you left something out

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Alternatives!

CDJapan - Fantastic site. Maybe slightly pricey (nothing more than retail though) and customs can suck but otherwise nothing to really fault. Points system is good, service is polite and always friendly. and they even secure odd items as a third-party. Best overall site. Oh, it stocks books, games, music, etc. Packaging is excellent, too.

Amiami - Almost always guaranteed customs but has good stock. May still be awkward to cancel goods from them, not sure. But it's quite a popular import site.

Nippon Yasan - More a reseller than anything. Service is slower than CDJ, they will eventually match eBay/reseller prices. Customer service has been very mixed from reviews. I've been lucky so far (still slow on responding) but they are far from CDJ's level of customer service. I wouldn't recommend even live chatting as the person usually can't help with any account or order specific problems, weirdly. That all said, they will stock limited, web exclusive items but just get in quick before they jack up prices. Other prices are usually cheaper than CDJ too. I use them frequently, even more than CDJ. I guess I live on the edge! Site can sometimes be NSFW (when you log in you're always faced with an ad for their JAV site, which is mega annoying).

Amazon Japan - Never used them but they ship some music, games and books abroad. I assume their service is decent since it's amazon.

Nin-Nin Game - They now charge on order so that's a turn off. Otherwise a similar site, service and response to Nippon Yasan, but better points, if that helps. Can also be NSFW since they don't filter figures... really don't need to see certain new stock of what would probably be illegal in the west.

YesAsia - Used to be alright. Used them for music and games way back but their prices aren't that great anymore.

Others that I've rarely/never used:

Playmoya
Solaris Japan (I used them once only and it was fine)
PlazaJapan - Used once or twice and it was decent. I think they also may adjust pricing since they're basically a reseller. Good for Pokemon goods.

Overall, I super duper adore CDJapan. If only they could dodge customs!

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean if this is the extent of the doa hing it just reads like pa would sell the uncensored doa.

This doesn't read as a "no doing business anymore" situation unless you left something out
There is no censored version. There's no western version period because of whatever dumbass reason Tecmo came up with. Play Asia decided to take this and made a full GamerGate play with it. Telling GG idiots what they wanted to hear: "THE PURITANS ARE PREVENTING YOU GAMES FROM BEING RELEASED!" They're just signal boosting the fact you can buy shit off their site, to own the libs or something. But it's clear they also drank their own kool aid

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They openly side with neo nazis/nazi sympathizers and push followers to harass private individuals. You'd figure that would be enough for people who give a shit to go elsewhere with their money but apparently their precious games and occasionally saving a few bucks is put above all else.

I've only purchased a game with them once 3 years and don't hang around on social media to know if they support Nazis. Most people are like me: They log in, buy a game and bounce.

Ys45

Oct 25, 2017
Most people are in this camp, where life is too short to try and police the politics of every business or artist they may patronize.

Totally agree with this, if I had to stop using services or liking company that do something wrong I think I would be playing with rocks in my yards lol.

But anyway, the few times I ordered from PA I did not had great service.

With Amazon jp, amiami and cdjapan I don't really care about them.

Also did not they had super sfc mini a while back and were selling it like twice the price ? I remember seeing this and told myself nope not doing business with this place again.

Oct 28, 2017
Just bought an item from them after not using them for years but they can fuck off for that and the late customer service woes I've been reading. Wish I'd been paying more attention.

鬼作.

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I thought this was about shady business practices or credit card fraud or something serious like that and then the OP wastes my time with a twitter argument or whatever the fuck this nonsense is about.

amazon.jp doesn't ship half the things I'm interested in abroad
nippon-yasan takes a week to send PSN-codes per email, how the fuck does that happen
amiami stocks three copies of everything max, hope you pre-ordered half a year in advance

Play-Asia is ok I guess, prices suck most of the time but they get the job done. Thanks for the useless warning.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I thought this was about shady business practices or credit card fraud or something serious like that and then the OP wastes my time with a twitter argument or whatever the fuck this nonsense is about.

nippon-yasan takes a week to send PSN-codes per email, how the fuck does that happen
amiami stocks three copies of everything max, hope you pre-ordered half a year in advance

Play-Asia is ok I guess, prices suck most of the time but they get the job done. Thanks for the useless warning.
This is serious.

Nov 13, 2017
Maybe www.Nin-nin-game.com
I only have good experiences with them except that they take forever to send items. I mostly buy used games there though, so that might not be true with new items. But if you're a bit patient they're great.

I actually have the complete opposite experience with them and have avoided them for a really long time. I ordered the FFX Vita from them and it never came. They kept telling me that it was delayed when it wasn't, and that it was sent when it wasn't. They provided me a FedEx tracking number a month after I was supposed to have received it and the package never left the warehouse. Couldn't get a refund, either.

Intel_89

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Their PR department sure seems to be a mess and someone should get fired for what happened to those people on Twitter but I haven't had an issue with them as a business.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Play Asia often have best prices and their parcels almost always evade customs. You get hit by customs a £16 item can easy turn into a £31 item.

Gonna need more than this to avoid them.

Yoshi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
They made the tweet I embedded above, and he said "
I see the PlayAsia official account is spouting all kinds of gamergatey bullshit today. Say bye bye to my business." And then they quoted it and it got their followers harassing him I'm too to Point he had to make his account private for now.
I don't quite get this: Liam wrote on Twitter that he was mad at Play-Asia and wouldn't continue doing business with them, in a public way, Play-Asia answered to that and this is all? I mean, I can see why one would be unhappy about Play-Asia's original posting, but as I understand this, Liam began the discussion in a public way and the answer he got is rather inoffensive, is it not? I see no "go get him" there. It is very common that if you write something in a public forum to someone, that they may write an answer, so I really fail to see how the embedded tweets fit the description.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017

It's feels like the only reason your post exists is so that you could skip this passive aggressive ending in there.

鬼作.

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's feels like the only reason your post exists is so that you could skip this passive aggressive ending in there.
I just spent 100 bucks on Play-Asia, come here to be greeted by a thread title that makes me go "uh-oh, hope I didn't fuck up too bad", only for it to be some twitter beef. Passive aggressive my ass, how about a thread title that is not sensationalist garbage.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Thought this was about some legit credit card, postal or whatever scam, phew. Granted, I haven't ordered there in ages since I don't import anymore but having your info on file is having your info on file.

DiGiKerot

Oct 26, 2017
I don't quite get this: Liam wrote on Twitter that he was mad at Play-Asia and wouldn't continue doing business with them, in a public way, Play-Asia answered to that and this is all? I mean, I can see why one would be unhappy about Play-Asia's original posting, but as I understand this, Liam began the discussion in a public way and the answer he got is rather inoffensive, is it not? I see no "go get him" there. It is very common that if you write something in a public forum to someone, that they may write an answer, so I really fail to see how the embedded tweets fit the description.

You don't quote tweet something in the fashion that Play Asia did there if you aren't deliberately trying to bring attention to it, particularly not with the kind of flippant response that they made. It's not the tone of the reply that they made in so much as it is the specific mechanism with which they made it, as it's been deliberately done in a fashion that it exposes the comment to their entire readership, as opposed to just those who follow just the people in question.

Jan 16, 2018
OP wastes my time with a twitter argument or whatever the fuck this nonsense is about.
21865.jpg

Yoshi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
You don't quote tweet something in the fashion that Play Asia did there if you aren't deliberately trying to bring attention to it, particularly not with the kind of flippant response that they made. It's not the tone of the reply that they made in so much as it is the specific mechanism with which they made it, as it's been deliberately done in a fashion that it exposes the comment to their entire readership, as opposed to just those who follow just the people in question.
Are there different ways? I'm not a twitter expert, I primarily use it to beg for Banjo games, but I would expect this to just be a regular answer to a tweet? I mean, yes, by answering to a tweet, additional people might read the original tweet, but if I have a problem with that, then Twitter does not seem to be the right medium to use. And Liam is a professional in digital communication, so I think it is fair to assume, on Play-Asia's side, that he is fine with having this discussion in the public.

Prophane33

Oct 25, 2017
尾張国
Been importing since the mid-90s, sadly many of the sites (or shops) from back then are defunct or just overpriced now (*cough* ncsx *cough), but this list should be helpful.
Just a note: I don't know anything about customs (see disclaimer below) nor Asian English games (since my Japanese is serviceable enough)

JP PSN Codes:

japancodesupply.com

Pre-orders and/or recent releases:
amiami.com
amazon.co.jp (also good for Japanese PS+ cards)

Eshop:
Get a cheap and/or used Japanese 3ds and link your account funds (can use foreign cards on 3ds eshop).
Amazon.jp for specific digital games (can get a good deal on Monster Hunter XX there, but you DO need to use a JP address).

Older Releases
Ebay
Amazon (US, but I assume other countries have third party sellers)
Amazon.jp (but use Tenso or another similar service).
Yahoo Japan Auctions (using a deputy service).

I've only ordered from Solaris Japan once (but it is where I bought my Japanese 3DS back in the day), and had a good experience, but someone who may have had more experience could vouch for them more, so YMMV.

Disclaimer: I can't say anything about customs because we don't have them for games/books in the US. Sites like Nippon-Yasan and Nin-nin Game seem to cater more to EU customers, so you might have better luck with those places; however, in my experience they take forever to ship.

Deleted member 18347

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This doesn't affect me much as I only bought like 3 things in the past 10 or so years from them.

But I was unaware of how they handled their business. Thanks for the heads up, OP.

DiGiKerot

Oct 26, 2017
Are there different ways? I'm not a twitter expert, I primarily use it to beg for Banjo games, but I would expect this to just be a regular answer to a tweet? I mean, yes, by answering to a tweet, additional people might read the original tweet, but if I have a problem with that, then Twitter does not seem to be the right medium to use. And Liam is a professional in digital communication, so I think it is fair to assume, on Play-Asia's side, that he is fine with having this discussion in the public.

Quote tweeting embeds the content of an entire tweet within the tweet you are making - it's typically used when you want to retweet something whilst also making an additional comment regarding it. It exposes that tweet to everyone who follows you on their timeline.

Replying directly to someone, on the other hand, will only expose it onto the timeline of folks who follow both users in question. You could still see it if you were looking specifically at PAs timeline, or someone else you follow retweets it, but generally, you probably wouldn't.

Now, if PA were generally looking to have a discussion here, that'd be one thing, but the tone of the response basically equates to "look at this guy". This gets to be problematic because PA has a history of courting specific parts of gaming fandom who have a... specific type of reaction to these kinds of comments (just look at the thread Liam was quoting here).

Now, you could argue that Liam brought it on himself by quote tweeting PA in the first place, but you'd generally hold the account associated with an actual business entity to a higher professional standard that a single user, particularly in replying to complaints.

Oct 27, 2017
I've only ordered from Solaris Japan once (but it is where I bought my Japanese 3DS back in the day), and had a good experience, but someone who may have had more experience could vouch for them more, so YMMV.

Disclaimer: I can't say anything about customs because we don't have them for games/books in the US. Sites like Nippon-Yasan and Nin-nin Game seem to cater more to EU customers, so you might have better luck with those places; however, in my experience they take forever to ship.

Bought my framemeister from solaris, it went fine. They seem to have a pretty bustling used section for cables, consoles, and games.

Normally I just go for ebay and order straight from Japan from someone who offers EMS.

Deleted member 2328

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're one of the very few import stores that offer shipping with pre-paid customs to my country. So like them or not, I'm stuck with them.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Their PR department sure seems to be a mess and someone should get fired for what happened to those people on Twitter but I haven't had an issue with them as a business.

To be clear, this is a part of their business. If you choose to be actively aggressive as a marketing strategy, that is an aspect of your business. This isn't a one off. This is how they are branding and aligning themselves and how they wish to treat former customers. You can consider it beneath your concern, I suppose, but there's no way to extricate it from how they operate as a business. They're an online storefront. How they conduct themselves online sort of counts.