• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I don't like it when people get dismissed by their avatar on boards like these either. But on places like Twitter the term fell into use due to floods of people with little girl anime icons harassing them.

This. Fuck anime avatar Twitter. It's filled with vitriolic, racist, sexist homophobes. I've got so much abuse from anime twitter that I refuse to use an anime avatar there because of the association. Here is different, I know that people like that will get shown the door if they show such views so I find the avatar dismissal here a bit strange when compared to Twitter but I'm not offended by it, because I totally get that this is picture painted and its unfortunate.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
It is sad to see Play Asia continue to fan the flames. Have not bought anything from there since the original DoAX3 pandering and it looks as though that will continue.

JC Lately

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Its so transparent that their anti-SJW stance is just empty marketing. T&A games continue to be released in the west, and they continue to sell well enough for sequels/spin-offs/other T&A properties to be made and released. Steam is crawling with visual novels that are just a de-censor patch away from being h-games, Senran Kagura is a runway success in a niche market, A third Huniepop Game is about to drop. Fuck, Gal Gun 2 is about to be released on a Nintendo home platform, uncensored. If there is a vast SJW conspiracy trying to poison the climate against these kind of games, they are doing a piss-poor job of it.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its so transparent that their anti-SJW stance is just empty marketing. T&A games continue to be released in the west, and they continue to sell well enough for sequels/spin-offs/other T&A properties to be made and released. Steam is crawling with visual novels that are just a de-censor patch away from being h-games, Senran Kagura is a runway success in a niche market, A third Huniepop Game is about to drop. Fuck, Gal Gun 2 is about to be released on a Nintendo home platform, uncensored. If there is a vast SJW conspiracy trying to poison the climate against these kind of games, they are doing a piss-poor job of it.

None of these games are as mainstream as DOA though. DOA was getting shit on from announcement by the media, those games don't even get acknowledged as existing most of the time.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They support GamerGate, harass people, they have bad service, high prices and extremely long delivery time.

Why would anybody buy from them?

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
i've imported about a dozen japanese games over the last two years and none of them from play asia. There are plenty of other options.

JC Lately

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
None of these games are as mainstream as DOA though. DOA was getting shit on from announcement by the media, those games don't even get acknowledged as existing most of the time.

Preeeety sure all those games I listed, especially Huniepop and GalGun have been raked over the coals by the media. But I don't feel like googling up the receipts, so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Bizarre, are the social media guy one of the higher ups? I saw people being fired for way less.

And why the other guy censored the gamergate word?

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Bizarre, are the social media guy one of the higher ups? I saw people being fired for way less.

And why the other guy censored the gamergate word?

There are trolls who search twitter for "gamergate" to harass those who criticize or poke fun at gamergate. So people avoid this with pseudonyms (gooblegate, etc) or asterisks.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing how their prices are inflated and their refund policy is terrible yet there are still somehow plenty of people showing up to say "I like buying from them and I don't care about internet drama"

Almost like... maybe something else is motivating their defense of PA? Nah, I'm sure it's their amazing service.

I've bought from them a few times and actually their customer service was pretty great. I had a question about a Hatsune Miku figurine I pre-ordered from them and literally within 5 minutes I received a hand written response that did a good job in communicating the status of my order.

I'm sure its possible others have not had as great of an experience as I did and that is fair and valid but instantly assuming other motives because they might have not had a negative experience is just disingenuous and shitty.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After that, Liam Robertson told them he wasn't giving them any more of his business. (Tweets are currently protected, so I can't provide it).
And then right after that, they were revealed to be sicing their followers on people who call them out on stuff like this.
I only passingly saw this last night. As far as I remember, he tweet quoted them first. They tweet quoted him back. That's kind of important. It's kind of a design flaw/intentional design feature of twitter that results in people's followers joining the outrage against the person or organization being quote tweeted. And this results in a chorus of "OOOOOH! SICK BURN!" Bla, bla, bla. But it's really not that different. He quoted Playasia for the purpose of "siccing his followers on them". This is like Twitter Bullshit 101. It's one the reasons I really dislike the platform's culture. Like, I use twitter to stay connected for gaming news and stuff and that's nice, but the actual mechanics of the platform are geared towards snowballing what would ordinarily be angry letter writing squabbles into effectively public harassment.

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
They support GamerGate, harass people, they have bad service, high prices and extremely long delivery time.

Why would anybody buy from them?
Like me, there's probably people who stay off Twitter, find their prices to be fair and get their goods in a timely fashion. I've ordered from them quite a bit and zero issues so far. Sucks to see people at each other's throats though.

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
I mean I don't buy from Play Asia but they have very nice kind people that work for them. I don't think its right to demonize a whole company because of the person that runs their Twitter account. I think some of the people that post on here work for Play Asia because I have them added as psn friends from one the threads on here.

If the SM person is doing a bad job, which they are, I think it's 100% fair to criticize the whole company. It's also a good opportunity for the people to work there to be like, hey, maybe stop allowing SM to be ran this way, it makes us look bad. Definitely creates an opportunity for the business/brand to improve itself.

I use JapanCodeSupply for eshop and PSN JP credits. No fuss, good prices and quick response.

Didn't realize PA was this bad. I had a suspicion that I ignored because of convenience, but I really appreciate posts like this. Don't mind shopping anywhere else, just didn't know where to go. Some good options being posted in this thread. People like me really appreciate it.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Glad I bought from a local business that (by sheer chance) had a Japanese Vita in stock instead of these a-holes. Their PR guy is an embarrassment.

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone got any alternatives?
I'm trying to save bucks here on importing
Haven't shopped there in a year but Amiami was my goto site for pretty much all imports and figures when I had money at the time. No one should be using PlayAsia anyway, they're overpriced and their service is shit.

Oct 27, 2017
Stopped using them in after numerous inventory issues. The final straw was in 2009 when they messed up my Demon's souls Asian version preorder.

Even though they had shitty inventory practices, people still bought from them and it boggled my mind. At least this sjw/gg stuff was able to shed some light on them being a shitty company. About time people...

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
I've bought from them a few times and actually their customer service was pretty great. I had a question about a Hatsune Miku figurine I pre-ordered from them and literally within 5 minutes I received a hand written response that did a good job in communicating the status of my order.

I'm sure its possible others have not had as great of an experience as I did and that is fair and valid but instantly assuming other motives because they might have not had a negative experience is just disingenuous and shitty.

I've made it clear in this thread I'm only questioning the intent of those dismissing the importance of PA throwing their support behind a hate group. I'm not condemning everyone who refuses to participate in a boycott, even if I'd recommend they do. My comments about the quality of their service were based on posts people made here. Spare me the tone policing.

Last edited:

mieumieu

Oct 25, 2017
The Farplane
I've ordered a bunch of DS and 3DS games from them before, like 6 years ago.

Now I can get US region games cheaply locally. Not used them since.

From a business pov it's unprofessional. From a personal pov they can fuck right off.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

Hell, Gal Gun 2 even had a big poster up at PQube's PAX East booth. And I'm pretty sure I saw some people playing a demo (who... I think were probably a little young to be trying it) at Inti Creates' booth as well.

It's not like they're released without being criticized (which is only fair), but no one's trying to purge them from existence.

Oct 25, 2017
It's not like they're released without being criticized (which is only fair), but no one's trying to purge them from existence.

Eh, they kind of are if you count being refused classification, which is definitely a thing happening in some countries. Not America though. If anything, that's what Play Asia should be focusing on, not a manufactured controversy of a 3 year old game.

Filament Star

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We got tons of waifu titty games in the meantime, like Senran Kagura, and no one said anything about DoAE3 anywhere before PA turned on the "SJW alarm." If anything, I thought controversy and "wow this game is so inappropriate"-style articles are supposed to be great for a game's visibility and potential sales.

Critics don't know that other anime games exist. DoA is a known property in the West and they were ready to jump all over it. Also, with how those other games sell, there's no reason to believe DoAX3 would sell less. It would have made its money guaranteed. Plus it was already translated into English in Asia. They didn't release the game because they were too scared of the backlash.

There's also the fact that the game's director said that on Facebook. That comment was taken down, because obviously it's bad PR, but he did literally say it. I don't know why people forget that too.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Whether it's shorthand for something or not, it's still problematic because it's deeming an innocuous form of expression as something not so innocuous because of what some people with those avatars will do. That's wrong.

It's not the same thing, but it just gives me flashbacks to people saying to me stuff along the lines of "we don't mean YOU Jews, we mean the commies! It's just easier to say."
There was already a thread about the huge number of alt right 8chan Nazis on twitter with anime avatars, wasn't there? It really isn't surprising when the community isn't taken seriously when the majority of anime avatar users are the ones doing this. Sucks for liberal minded weebs, but that's just reality. Even I know to avoid posts by them.

Also that last line is fucking facepalm worthy, just saying.

Haven't used PA since the last thread on GAF and I still won't. Sad to know that they're still pretty much garbage 8chan fuckos. I use Amazon JP but I'll take Amiami too.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
Critics don't know that other anime games exist. DoA is a known property in the West and they were ready to jump all over it. Also, with how those other games sell, there's no reason to believe DoAX3 would sell less. It would have made its money guaranteed. Plus it was already translated into English in Asia. They didn't release the game because they were too scared of the backlash.

There's also the fact that the game's director said that on Facebook. That comment was taken down, because obviously it's bad PR, but he did literally say it. I don't know why people forget that too.

Critics know plenty of anime games exist, they have the same access to google and game news websites as anyone. No critics gave a shit about it prior to PA making a stink about "SJW"s apparently blocking games, and of course every article I saw after that mostly focused on their ridiculous tweets.

If a company is scared of hypothetical backlash and lets that guide their releases when so many other games have had the same treatment of getting a handful of unflattering articles or forum posts written about how the games represent women yet decided catering to their overseas fans was more important (recently: Xenoblade 2, how did the critics find that one when they're so blind to anime games?), that just sounds like plain cowardice. What are they afraid of? No one who has the authority to do so is going to block their titty game (at least in the US, as evidenced by the fact that we still get plenty), and I'm sure game companies get more vitriolic comments based on FPS or localization choices.

pewpewtora

Nov 23, 2017
Connecticut
I always knew PlayAsia was on the gamergate side of things so I stayed the fuck away. This just proves my point. Can anyone recommend other import sites?

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Forget personal stances, their shipping sucks butt and takes forever to prepare assuming they don't cancel your order to turn around and re-up the item at a higher price citing "supplier reasons."

Instant PSN codes for just about any Asia region is nice though.

Other Import sites: Neowing, Nippon-Yassan, Ami-Ami, Solaris-Japan, Amazon.jp, 3rd party sellers on Amazon US, in NYC check local stores there are a few which sell JP-Asia.

Alternatively set-up a JP/Asia PSN account and do things digitally. no wait times. yay.

Edit: Also Ebay. Many small JP-Game stores have EB pages and ship WW.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
not a surprised, they had clearly gone on the gamergate crazy train a long time ago. bunch of dumbasses.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Videogames-plus in Canada is pretty cool.
As for Play-Asia, fuck those cunts and their godawful prices up the ass 3 times sideways.
Bit of a warning, we have had people in the CAD deals thread in the past stating that they got their credit card stolen around the timezone of ordering from them and using the credit card payment option as opposed to paypal.

OniBaka

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
My experiences with them have been pretty good so can't complain and I don't really go on Twitter.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP, do you think what you're doing with this topic is any better than what Play-Asia did? We really need to stop using this "I can harm you with social media!" mentality. I don't even import but I don't think a retailer should lose business based on a "wrong" of this scope.
they are literally putting a target on someone by literally going to a audience known for harassing, doxxing and death threats to people.
If you think a topic taking notice of a business sending a literal hate mob to harass someone for not wanting to do business is the same as said action... you might be pretty fucking stupid tbh

Resistance100

Jan 13, 2018
Until they mess up an order and don't resolve it properly I'll keep using them. Customer service is key for my business not what someones beliefs are as we're all entitled to them regardless what they are :)

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Until they mess up an order and don't resolve it properly I'll keep using them. Customer service is key for my business not what someones beliefs are as we're all entitled to them regardless what they are :)
wait do you think they entitled to send people to harass, doxx and send death threats to someone?
That's not a fucking belief.

aSqueakyLime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
England
Damn. All of my experiences with PA have been perfect so far. This sucks to hear that they're echoing the stupid "reeeeee SJWs" rhetoric.

I honestly don't know of another site of their magnitude for importing stuff, so I'll probably still buy from them, but I hope they get a new PR team that isn't total trash.