• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
You can just click on tweets and replies to see that, and it'll show up on a timeline if they're in a list. It's not literally invisible to other people.

Right, but nobody would see it if they're not following both users. It's not a matter of literal invisibility, it's that they're presenting it to their audience for a reason.

Quote tweeting happens for the reasons Bigg said. This is part of how interactions on Twitter work. It's not really up for debate?

Oct 27, 2017
the best part is that DOAX3 is an utter piece of shit gameplay-wise and a whale-milking factory on top of it (not unlike DOA5 but at least that is a fun game with ample content)

I think they probably spotted who butters their bread and just went with this angle. People like robertson and parish (and many of us old people here) mostly look out for retro stuff and were probably more frequent customers back when importing games was actually worthwhile since you knew a bunch of them wouldn't come out here.

Oct 25, 2017
Right, but nobody would see it if they're not following both users. It's not a matter of literal invisibility, it's that they're presenting it to their audience for a reason.

Quote tweeting happens for the reasons Bigg said. This is part of how interactions on Twitter work. It's not really up for debate?

I guess I'm weird for clicking on tweets and replies whenever I use twitter in addition to just looking at my timeline.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I totally forgot that this happened. I don't think I've ever used Play Asia much though; doubt I've used them since.

They're certainly trying to make it harder for people with anime avatars who are sick of getting judged for it, though.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'm weird for clicking on tweets and replies whenever I use twitter in addition to just looking at my timeline.

I mean, I do that too, sure. You can see replies to tweets. But that's not what's being talked about here?

It's them specifically directing their Gamergater audience at tweets they would not have seen otherwise.

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
Shoutouts to the dudes just popping in here to say they've never had any problems with PA, completely missing the point of the thread.

Amazing how their prices are inflated and their refund policy is terrible yet there are still somehow plenty of people showing up to say "I like buying from them and I don't care about internet drama"

Almost like... maybe something else is motivating their defense of PA? Nah, I'm sure it's their amazing service.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing how their prices are inflated and their refund policy is terrible yet there are still somehow plenty of people showing up to say "I like buying from them and I don't care about internet drama"

Almost like... maybe something else is motivating their defense of PA? Nah, I'm sure it's their amazing service.

Maybe the service is just that good. Like, you buy something and you're like "hot shit on a stick I cannot even fucking believe how goddamn good this service is."

Scoo

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Replying to a tweet using a twitter handle isn't exactly the same as sending the boys round to break someone's legs. It's a shame that they seem to have some rabid followers who end up causing harassment. But I think they are entitled to defend themselves on twitter as it's a two way platform.

The whole "they are bullying as they have more followers" logic is stupid.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City

yuppp
case in point

Ohh, how terrible. Those monsters!

fantastic post, would read again

Personally I stay out the whole historic gamergate thing as their is toxicity at both ends of the spectrum.

nahhh, nuts to this both sides nonsense - gamergate is shit, and so are folks who ride for it. there's no middle ground to proto-alt right harassment.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

It's the best price I've found for shipping to Canada and overall their prices aren't that bad, and I've never had any issues in dealing with them regarding the one refund I had to deal with, they even helped me track down a package that was shipped to me because it was taking longer than expected.

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the service is just that good. Like, you buy something and you're like "hot shit on a stick I cannot even fucking believe how goddamn good this service is."

As I said in high school when I bought a naruto gamecube game from them for $85 and it took three whole months to reach me, "the quality is in the waiting."

It's the best price I've found for shipping to Canada and overall their prices aren't that bad, and I've never had any issues in dealing with them regarding the one refund I had to deal with, they even helped me track down a package that was shipped to me because it was taking longer than expected.

You said in an earlier post that you would vote with you wallet if you could, I'm not ragging on you because you're not dismissing this as "internet drama" unlike a whole bunch of other folks. I bought HuniePop even though the guy who made it is a trash fire, I'm not a saint.

Last edited:

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I haven't used them for quite a few years now, but used them frequently in the past - like Gamecube/GBA era. If I was ever going to import frequently again, I would've gone straight to them as a matter of course, but after reading this thread I will never use them again and inform others to do the same and why.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
nahhh, nuts to this both sides nonsense - gamergate is shit, and so are folks who ride for it. there's no middle ground to proto-alt right harassment.

Can I dump out some of the images I've downloaded on 8chan just to present to anyone else who wants to make that claim?

I wish I saved that early plan for a VN where literally half of the characters were Nazis and one had a concentration camp as his nickname. That was probably the worst thing.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
That's pretty bad of Play-Asia, but being all stupid about people with anime avatars doesn't make this guy look better. I could have had an anime avatar, what does that mean? I have an anime wallpaper on my phone (a scene from Nausicaa). Express yourself against shitty racist/sexist views, lack of morals, whatever else, not by trying to invalidate the views of every single person that may or may not have something as superficial as that. Please.

As for Play-Asia being the go-to store for so many, you can thank Sony for that (RIP Lik-Sang).

Last edited:

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
You said in an earlier post that you would vote for you wallet if you could, I'm not ragging on you because you're not dismissing this as "internet drama" unlike a whole bunch of other folks. I bought HuniePop even though the guy who made it is a trash fire, I'm not a saint.
Yeah, I'm basically in the "That's fucked up, but I still gotta shop at walmart" boat.

Oct 25, 2017

They seem to get good deals from time to time based on coupons and promo codes I see coupled with a few Youtubers I watch. Other than that, haven't heard much good about them beyond being a major player in the importing game.

Buckley

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Have you tried amazon.jp? It's cheaper to canada and takes 2 days to get here, for me

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty bad of Play-Asia, but being all stupid about people with anime avatars doesn't make this guy look better. I could have had an anime avatar, what does that mean? I have an anime wallpaper on my phone (a scene from Nausicaa). Express yourself against shitty racist/sexist views, lack of morals, whatever else, not by trying to invalidate the views of every single person that may or may not have something as superficial as that. Please.
This is the definition of looking to be aggrieved.

Gabora

Oct 25, 2017
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Play-asia is a trash company that almost got me in serious trouble by recording the wrong price, on the purchases they were shipping to me, on the mail form. Was really happy when I started getting phone calls from customs wondering what the hell I was trying to pull.

When I emailed me they claimed I had asked them to do it, but couldn't produce proof of it. Stopped shopping with them immediately.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
I generally go to Amazon Japan as my preferred exporter when possible, though they have some dumb export restrictions sometimes. Play-asia was mainly only good for digital currency cards.

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, Robertson works with DYKG? That's kind of weird considering Shane Gill. Seems like people fighting each other.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
This is the definition of looking to be aggrieved.
It's one of the very very few things shown in the OP and I'm not aggrieved, just pointing out a random shitty thing I saw here, a random forum I frequent and randomly checked in on at this time, from which I'll shortly move on. What's it to you?

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The reason people specifically still use them over other services, as far as I can tell, is them having the Asian (as opposed to Japanese) releases of games that increasingly commonly include an English translation (and in some cases this can be a way to get a physical English release of Vita games that are only digital in the US). Though YesAsia seems to have those too.

It's that and habit/not knowing about what they're like on social media, from what I've observed.

Oct 25, 2017
Robertson has voiced an episode and provided info for them once or twice but I don't think it's anything like being employed by them or anything. Why are you asking?

The creator of DYKG, Shane, is pretty in with that whole crowd. Seems like something Liam would have a problem with based on this thread, but I don't really know much about him.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't used them in a year. For expats living in Asian countries, they were a way to get US import copies of games if the Asian region version didn't include English. This isn't all that common, but for Japanese games like Yakuza or Persona you would need a US region copy of the game for English. One odd, rare occurrence was Rise of the Tomb Raider for PS4. Somebody fucked up there because the Asian region version of the game had no English to speak of.

The thing about Play-Asia is, their shipping methods are highly suspect. It's extremely fucked up that a game that ships from Amazon in the US arrives faster and for a cheaper shipping fee.

So get this. I live in Taiwan. Play-Asia is based in Hong Kong. It takes THREE FUCKING WEEKS for a game from Play-Asia to ship to me here in Taipei. That should NOT BE A THING! No fucking way. Amazon only takes about ten days from the US, AND it costs less to ship a game.

So fuck Play-Asia for that alone. They are a shady company and they can get away with a lot because of import demands.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
He's not. "Anime Avatars" refers to a pretty specific type of person and if you spend enough time on twitter you know exactly what he means lol

Oct 25, 2017
He's not. "Anime Avatars" refers to a pretty specific type of person and if you spend enough time on twitter you know exactly what he means lol

Whether it's shorthand for something or not, it's still problematic because it's deeming an innocuous form of expression as something not so innocuous because of what some people with those avatars will do. That's wrong.

It's not the same thing, but it just gives me flashbacks to people saying to me stuff along the lines of "we don't mean YOU Jews, we mean the commies! It's just easier to say."

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Whether it's shorthand for something or not, it's still problematic because it's deeming an innocuous form of expression as something not so innocuous because of what some people with those avatars will do. That's wrong.

It's not the same thing, but it just gives me flashbacks to people saying to me stuff along the lines of "we don't mean YOU Jews, we mean the commies! It's just easier to say."
come on man

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
No, I don't know what he means and I've seen it on forums like this too with people dismissing others by their avatars and it's shitty. One might say they mean something else specific when they call out "SJWs" in the same damn way.

Either way why the hell would I want to approve of anything that puts something as vague, varied and all-encompassing as "anime" and fans of any anime under a single bad light like that? I don't. It's dumb.

If "anime avatar" is shorthand for anything actually negative it's dumb and it shouldn't be.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
No, I don't know what he means and I've seen it on forums like this too with people dismissing others by their avatars and it's shitty. One might say they mean something else specific when they call out "SJWs" in the same damn way.
I don't like it when people get dismissed by their avatar on boards like these either. But on places like Twitter the term fell into use due to floods of people with little girl anime icons harassing them. I'm just saying he's not saying anyone who likes anime is bad, he's referring to those kinds of people. Yes the term is clumsy, but I'm letting you know since you seemed like you genuinely didn't.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Who is this person? Should I know them? The twitter feed reads like a GamerGate apologist.

They're just a prominent Gamergater. Not anything noteworthy about them besides that.

Oh, and they're supposedly a Japanese housewife. So either that's true and they're pathetically obsessed with American games journalists, or they're lying and pathetically obsessed with pretending to be a Japanese housewife who's pathetically obsessed with American games journalists. Who can say!

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
They're just a prominent Gamergater. Not anything noteworthy about them besides that.

Oh, and they're supposedly a Japanese housewife. So either that's true and they're pathetically obsessed with American games journalists, or they're lying and pathetically obsessed with pretending to be a Japanese housewife who's pathetically obsessed with American games journalists. Who can say!

Her avatar is also from the anime where the soul of the main character's mom is put into a giant robot, so I think there's kind of a "real anime fans get it" thing going on.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
I thought Play Asia came from Lik Sang.
Huh? No, they were competitors and existed simultaneously before lik-sang closed for a time.

That said I don't know the views of ex-link sang staff or anything, I haven't stalked them, lol. If you just google lik sang play-asia together you get old references of people wondering where it's best to buy a given item from, lol.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
User banned (1 week): spreading rumours and rhetoric from hate movements
Who is this person? Should I know them? The twitter feed reads like a GamerGate apologist.
Apparently that account baited some anti-GG people working for Anita and a Ubisoft guy to dox his fake account. The whole story is kind of incredible if true. I'm glad I don't keep up with that stuff. Too much drama.

Killingmoon

Oct 28, 2017
Never had any problems with how they handle my orders, plus I find their prices competitive. Until I find a more competitive option, I'll continue buying from them. *shrug*

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Mombot sucks guys-- i'm just saying.

i'll never use play-asia again and i used them a ton after NCSX had issues delivering stuff on time/at higher cost.