• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
I'm skeptical of the idea that JJ is gumming up the works on WB's DC output. Its been almost 10 years since Man of Steel came out, is JJ's involvement really the thing holding up another Superman movie? WB doesn't know what to do with most of these characters anyway.

It is wild that more halfway into a 250m deal he hasn't made anything for them yet.
In all fairness we just got news that he and his producer company did produce Speed Racer for them. If WB signed a 250m exclusive deal to have him working on that and when the project is optioned it's Apple TV that is getting to stream that show is on WB, not Abrams. It's kinda dumb to get JJ as an exclusive, put him to develop a Speed Racer project and when gets a green light, it's going to Apple TV instead of HBO Max, but nothing I didn't came to expect from WB.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ

karobit

Oct 27, 2017
I keep asking myself that question about him and his pals. Namely, as Wikipedia helpfully lists them: Damon Lindelof, Adam Horowitz, Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci, Edward Kitsis, André Nemec, Josh Appelbaum, Jeff Pinkner, and Bryan Burk (a couple of those I'm not really familiar with, admittedly).
Fun fact -- the passage on his Wikipedia page (and on the pages of all of those contributors) seems to have been added, in its earliest form, as an anti-semitic call-out, pointing out that they're (almost) all Jewish.

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
Fun fact -- the passage on his Wikipedia page (and on the pages of all of those contributors) seems to have been added, in its earliest form, as an anti-semitic call-out, pointing out that they're (almost) all Jewish.
What the fuck.

EDIT: Wait, are you talking about something that used to be in one of the Wikipedia articles (I'm looking here and there), or about the Variety article that's linked as a source?
EDIT 2: Okay, I guess you were referring to this Wikipedia editor... He certainly seems... "dedicated". Jesus fucking Christ, internet...
EDIT 3: Oh, there's an article about the guy, too...

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018
He was the reason Constantine got written out of Legends too I think and why the Diggle as GL thing had to be hinted.

I highly doubt JJ Abrams is the sole person who made those decisions. WB has had some incredibly stupid thought processing around their IP's. Characters like Flash and Superman can exist in TV and Film but then their slate of villains can't be recognisable at the same time as a film and some heroes get sidelined

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
I fear for the future of WB. AT&T's vision to rush out content for HBO/WB was worrisome but they atleast we're trigger happy like Zaslav and crew.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
How does a 250 million deal work anyway?
I mean writers need to live so they can't just work for 4 or 5 years without pay.

I assume that there's a modest expense part of the deal, and then when something is produced there's a huge payout?
Or is he billing them $50 million a year atm?

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I keep asking myself that question about him and his pals. Namely, as Wikipedia helpfully lists them: Damon Lindelof, Adam Horowitz, Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci, Edward Kitsis, André Nemec, Josh Appelbaum, Jeff Pinkner, and Bryan Burk (a couple of those I'm not really familiar with, admittedly).
At this point, they kinda need a collective moniker, I feel. I think "the Red Flags" would work rather well.

(Oh, hey, according to Wikipedia, Jeff Pinkner will be co-writing One-Punch Man. I didn't even know that was a thing. Why is this a thing. Who is letting this happen.)
This is the Five Degrees of Kevin Bacon of movies/TV writers/producers..

I don't care for JJ Abrams all thst much, but to condem anyone who has ever worked with him or even worked on the same project with him tangentially on something and thus all there projects are tainted and bad?

That is ridiculous.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
WB is absolutely awful at managing their DC IP for movies and games especially. It's horrendous how underutilized a large swath of their very famous roster is (games and movies) and how they continue to put their IP in awful hands (movies).

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
This is the Five Degrees of Kevin Bacon of movies/TV writers/producers..
I don't care for JJ Abrams all thst much, but to condem anyone who has ever worked with him or even worked on the same project with him tangentially on something and thus all there projects are tainted and bad?
That is ridiculous.
I could see why you would understand my comment in that manner if I had said somewhere that I haven't even bothered to watch those other guys' works.
No, I am familiar with their output (except for a couple of those names, as I've said... but I could also add a few more to that list), so it's an informed opinion, not merely some (ridiculous, indeed) preconceived notion that "well, if they've ever worked with Abrams [...]".

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Get rid of him.

Give us Man of Steel 2. Let's fucking go.

Can't believe WB refused the Christopher McQuarrie Superman film. Still haunted to this day.

I really don't think we'll ever get a Man of Steel 2 at this point. IMO the last real chance of MoS ever getting a sequel was 2018. It'll have been a decade since MoS hit theaters next year, and even if they greenlit a sequel today, it'd take another three years at least before we'd actually see the film. Not to say anything of prospects for further sequels after that.

IMO, I think they should reboot Superman from the ground up, start with him already established as a superhero and borrow heavily from Superman Smashes the Klan, the Grant Morrison Action Comics run and the Golden Age comics for the story.

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
I genuinely wonder (and this pointless, but whatevs) if there weren't better choices for rebooting Trek, Wars, etc that might have lead to greater success for those properties?

Monday morning quarterbacking type question, but niether IP seemed in what you'd call an ideal place after he was done...

karobit

Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck.

EDIT: Wait, are you talking about something that used to be in one of the Wikipedia articles (I'm looking here and there), or about the Variety article that's linked as a source?
EDIT 2: Okay, I guess you were referring to this Wikipedia editor... He certainly seems... "dedicated". Jesus fucking Christ, internet...
EDIT 3: Oh, there's an article about the guy, too...

Wow, I was unaware of this guy and his edit history. I just knew something was weird about the entry (Alex Kurtzman was the one I noticed first) when I read it a couple years ago. Thanks for the link to this article!

Qasiel

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
If it ever gets made, I imagine it'll be less a remake and more just a full reboot that's closer to the comics. Or well, at least the more recent PG-13-ized comics
I remember reading last year that apparently HBO Max were looking to cast a black actor as John. Might even be Ṣọpẹ Dìrísù portraying him, if the rumours are true, so it looks like a full reboot will be on the cards.