• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
https://deadline.com/2021/09/the-lost-boys-movie-warner-bros-noah-jupe-1234838991/

The revival of 1987 cult classic vampire feature The Lost Boys continues. After the CW opted that Rob Thomas' pilot was a no-go, Warner Bros. is prepping a new take with screenwriter Randy McKinnon and Jonathan Entwistle directing, Deadline has confirmed.

A Quiet Place franchise actor Noah Jupe will star alongside It actor Jaeden Martell. Automatik's Brian Kavanaugh-Jones and Fred Berger are producing. Zac Frognowski and Josh Glick are EPs.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This is one of those things that I just don't think we really need a remake of in the modern era. Sexy teen vampires was already a thing on the CW for like ten years.

This is one of those things that I just don't think we really need a remake of in the modern era. Sexy teen vampires was already a thing on the CW for like ten years.
On one hand, the fact that The Lost Boys is so overwhelmingly gay is one thing it has going for it to stand out from the pack of other youth-oriented vampire fiction in the past decade.

On the other hand, it's hard for me not to see that anyone working on it now would be really self-conscious about all of that and over-egg the formula to surprisingly meager results. Not that the original film is a classic by any stretch, but that was made at a time when having an openly gay filmmaker being able to "indulge" on the inherent homoeroticism of vampires without going that overboard with it to offend mainstream audiences to become a huge box office hit, so it found a good balance that now feels like a trap that can get easily sprung on filmmakers today that would camp it up too much or make it too edgy. That said, I think there could be something there if they actually go all the way with the Michael character accepting his queerness rather than having a Star around to "rescue" him from that fate, so there's that.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
You know, I mostly liked iZombie, but that's still not leading to me giving Rob Thomas or anyone else a pass for trying to remake this, especially if not even the CW of all places were interested in approving it as a TV pilot.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
How do you remake perfection, honestly?

No pair of actors can match the magic of Haim and Feldman. Come on.

James3D

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like it would have made a good CW show, I'm surprised they aren't just making it work in that format.

i also saw potential in the PPG show idk

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
gross, these kids won't be able to match the vibes that the two Coreys had in that movie, its just gonna be dorkier. They were a lot of fun. Plus the cheesy 80s vampire goth look was a lot of fun too.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
What, it's not like I called it bad!

I doubt anyone can recapture the magic that made it work.

Even the music holds up. The original version of Cry Little Sister is fantastic. CHVRCHES attempted to cover it, but it just falls flat.

Any attempt at a remake would probably suffer the same fate.

Original:

Cover:

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
How bad was the CW pilot if it didn't even get a reboot like the powerpuff girls show? The PPG script was roasted for it awfulness, but even then the CW gave them another shot.

Anyways, I am curious how they'd translate the movie for the modern day. The Lost Boys is one of those movies that's just soaked in the era that spawned it.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
One of the things I always thought was great about the original was the dichotomy of the two "tones" of the film. On the one hand, you had sexy teenagers, 80s glam rock costumes, the two Coreys, corny dialogue, and all that, and on the other hand:

251e55289a5655dc2b2b6a0f52e60aed18-18-lostboys.2x.rsocial.w600.png

When the vampires came out, that shit got dark fast. This movie terrified me as a kid.

Oct 27, 2017
One of the things I always thought was great about the original was the dichotomy of the two "tones" of the film. On the one hand, you had sexy teenagers, 80s glam rock costumes, the two Coreys, corny dialogue, and all that, and on the other hand:

251e55289a5655dc2b2b6a0f52e60aed18-18-lostboys.2x.rsocial.w600.png

When the vampires came out, that shit got dark fast. This movie terrified me as a kid.
Its basically a couple of nerds taking on a gang of Vampire jocks. It's a concept I don' t think could have worked in any other decade cept John Hughes' era 80s.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I doubt anyone can recapture the magic that made it work.

Even the music holds up. The original version of Cry Little Sister is fantastic. CHVRCHES attempted to cover it, but it just falls flat.

Any attempt at a remake would probably suffer the same fate.

Original:

Cover:

Hard disagree, wtf.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
not something I need to see remade (original is singular vison, perfectly casted, and a genre classic) but give it the fright night treatment and maybe it will be worthwhile. don't try and match the original, flip the script a bit.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I can see this being something good, but if they're pitching it to the CW, it aint gonna be it.